Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Gaming = Childishness?

Magnum Flare

Yeah well I always have been a casual gamer except for a year when I was 14 when I would spend around 16 hours a day playing video games and it doesn't help your back at all as I have learned.

• Brohoof 1

It's just another example of people throwing something into some category without actually thinking or looking.  People feel better when they can just slap on a blanket judgment without using up any of their mental energy.  Cartoons are for kids, nerds all wear giant glasses, only girls like pink, anything new is going to degrade/destroy society, anyone under the age of 45 doesn't know anything, anyone older than 45 is out of touch, your political party makes you a good or bad person~~~ and on and on the list goes.  We're human beings.  We are/look like/enjoy/care about different stuff.  That's okay!  It's good!  We don't need to be the same.  There would be a lot less hurt in the world if people would actually think before making blanket statements and clinging to them.

In other words, I think calling anything by judgmental words like childish is pretty unhelpful.  It makes more sense to turn the debate towards questions like "Is gaming good for people?" "What games are appropriate for children?" "Does marketing towards a particular group actually reflect who plays the games at all?"

Which I admit are off topic for this thread.  XD

• Brohoof 2

Well, considering the various responses this discussion has received thus far, as better question to ask might be "what constitutes childishness?"

In the end, video games are a form of entertainment media. I'd put them in the same category as movies, tv, music, and books. That's not to say that all five are the same; they each have distinct differences that set them apart, and even that's not an apt-enough description.

Why should one form of media be considered childish then? Is said media to be defined by one such broad generalization?

Couldn't movies be considered childish in their own way? Of course that industry has been with us a LONG time but I don't think all movies are the same. Where does Citizen Kane fit in? Lord of the Rings? Schindler's List? Rambo? The Expendables?

What about TV? For every Breaking Bad & Game of Thrones you have Two & A Half Men and Family Guy.

Music? Of course I wouldn't say it's childish. What about genres? Where does classical fit in? How about pop or hip hop?

Books? Are we to say that the great literary pieces of history are to be compared to Curious George titles?

My point? Video gaming can't be defined by such a broad term. To say that it is childish is to cast some of the greatest titles as merely toys for children; in a sense. Is Grand Theft Auto childish? In a sense yeah, but it shouldn't be played by children for obvious reasons. How about other gritty games like The Witcher & Dragon Age? Yeah the fantasy violence can be seen as childish, but the childish brush stroke is a tad unfair in reference to characters and storyline.

But then, how about games like Journey? Shadow of the Colossus? Dark Souls? Ocarina of Time? Red Dead Redemption?

If you want a straight answer from me; you're not gonna get one. Can games be childish? Of course, and there's nothing wrong with that. My favorite game series of all time is Spyro the Dragon and for the most part it's downright childish. However, using that term for some of my other favorite games like Age of Empires or Dragon Age: Origins is a bit unfair. Yes, the case can be made, but I don't believe it's accurate. I don't play Witcher because I feel it's childish. It's fun of course, but the choices a game like that present to you is far from childish.

Let me reiterate: childishness in games is not a bad thing, it's just bad to label video gaming as childish, IMO.

• Brohoof 3

Gaming is childish in a way, but it is just like any other entertainment medium, I mean in many cases video games can have a much deeper and more mature setting/story than a TV show or a movie. Why would an interactive entertainment source be more childish than watching TV, movies, or reading a book? So essentially imo if gaming is childish in the way he thinks, well then most other electronic entertainment mediums are just as childish.

• Brohoof 2

If gaming is childish, then I never want to grow up. I have such fond memories of playing games that I wouldn't give it up for anything. And even if it is childish, why should it matter? As long as it's something you enjoy then that's more than a good enough reason, and as C.S.Lewis said "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” 

Being afraid of being seen as childish is childish in and of itself, so as long as you're a responsible adult and it's not something illegal or hurting anyone it shouldn't matter. Plus, I can think of several games off the top of my head that are very "adult" or mature in what they offer.

• Brohoof 5

As Jay-Cross said, there are 18+ games out there... So, starting there, there's always games for adults... But does that mean that games like Pokemon, Mario and Zelda are for children?

I agree to a saying from Walt Disney: "Adults are only kids grown up, anyway". He meant it as how the movies that came from his company are both for adults and children alike, as he meant to reach to the hearts of everyone... Isn't that what Nintendo is doing too?

Almost any Nintendo game I can think of, can reach to most children and adults alike... Pokemon X and Y, Super Mario 3D World, etc. Anyone can find enjoyment in those games due to various reasons. Maybe they grew up with those games, maybe because children are so used to playing violent games they'd rather play something a bit different...

Just like MLP: FiM, we find enjoyment in Pokemon games. Both can appeal to people outside the target demographic. Now, ask yourself, why do you like Pokemon? Why do you like to play it?

I can't say if it's childish, but as long as it isn't against the law liking something you watch or play, you totally should! Go ahead and buy your 3DS. Who cares about what others think right?

• Brohoof 2

It seems like people have this idea that once you become an "adult" you can't do certain things. Is that really any different from saying girls can like certain things and guys can't? You can play games that are 18+, and ones that aren't if you're an adult. What is "childish"? Do whatever you damn well please.

• Brohoof 6

That's just your opinion....Call of Duty and GTA are one of the biggest franchises and you say they're childish? 

I can agree with your point on it since there is a young audience present however no, it's not childish games like LBP and Minecraft are for children because they appeal to a younger audience. Although I'm not bashing on you saying LBP and Minecraft are only for children those types of games are for everyone but it's heavily played by a young audience, but CoD and GTA are not childish.

As always, someone is misunderstanding my satirical humor.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 2

First of all, admin/mods, feel free to throw this to other section if you see fit / merge it if there has been a thread about it. Also, I hope I see no pitchforks and flame in this thread.

Okay, so I asked my big brother whether I can buy things on Black Friday, he replied with yes, except game stuff. I was disappointed/little heartbroken, since I've been wanting to get 3DS for a while now and snag Pokemon OR/AS.

But, it got me thinking. My big bro's mindset is set to the fact that gaming is things child would do. There's no point wasting time playing games and he thought it's an immature things to play video games. He used to play but abandoned it years ago, possibly because he has a good sense of responsibility.

So, my question is to you guys, is gaming projects childishness?

I think he would want you to be a gamer if he found out about liking ponies too XD

but then again it could be worse

could be playing a pony game where you paid around 50$ for

*gasp*

• Brohoof 1

Gaming isn't childish.

Honestly, it's a great way to pass the time and have fun. It's like playing a board game on a tv screen. Am I childish for playing Candyland? Hell no. Candyland is the bomb.

• Brohoof 1

First of all, sorry I'm replying now, I've been kinda busy this weekend, since Finals are coming. Second, thank you for all the answers you gave.

Thinking further back, I think my brother don't want video games to be an addiction for me, since my university transfer is near, he wanted me to not mess up.

I just realized this was (possibly majorly) a fault in my part. My Spring and Summer quarter, I failed some classes because I was slacking a lot.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, boy! One of my favorite topics of discussion! First, I'll address what you were initially asking and then I'll address your latest reply.

PathfinderCS stole most of the words right from my keyboard, but if I had to add anything, it would be that the reason that video games and entertainment of any sort gets that kind of backlash is because a lot of adults who didn't grow up with video games - in other words, it's from people who dislike change. They don't understand the appeal of video games and they use "it's childish" as a justification for that indifference. "It's not for me because I'm an adult." It's their absolute refusal to give something a chance by diminishing it to one, perceived to be negative trait. One thing you need to note, though: there is a difference between something being child-like and childish.

Child-like: What games can be. A sort of innocence and naivety within the game's design, without the nitty-gritty.

Childish: Retaining the negative traits of a child, e.g. a lack of responsibility and whimsicality that comes with not being able to take care of one's self.

Video games are able to have both of these traits, although games like Spyro the Dragon are more child-like than they are childish. The game is not "immature", it's simply bright and colorful and simple. Games like The Simpsons game, on the other hand, are more childish as they have a streak of immaturity to them.

The problem is that people reduce other people to their interests, that if you like this thing then you are a part of this thing, and that simply isn't true. I may like games in which I'm shooting people up, but that doesn't mean I want to go out and shoot people. I like Spyro the Dragon, but it doesn't mean I'm naive. Your interests don't always reflect your personal traits, and that is something that your brother probably doesn't understand. If I liked things that were exactly like me in every way, then I wouldn't be roleplaying as protagonists who are shy and gentle (which I am most certainly not).

So are certain games child-like/childish? Yes. Some are even unashamedly so. Is it a bad thing to like games like this? Absolutely not. Especially a game as brilliant as ORAS, your brother is off his rocker if he thinks that game is bad for you. Please. Go buy it right now.

Thinking further back, I think my brother don't want video games to be an addiction for me, since my university transfer is near, he wanted me to not mess up.

I just realized this was (possibly majorly) a fault in my part. My Spring and Summer quarter, I failed some classes because I was slacking a lot.

But reasonably, anything can be an addiction to you. Reading. Watching TV. Doing exercise. Yes, video games are considerably addictive in nature, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to curb that addiction.

What you need is time management. You need to learn to balance your hobby time with playing video games with your time with doing schoolwork. Don't worry; a lot of people have this problem. Heck, I do, and I'm not even in high school anymore.

• Brohoof 3

I hate this stereotype that we gamers are nothing but a bunch of man-children living in our mother's basement playing video games all day. Anyone who thinks playing video games is childish clearly hasn't played any adult-oriented games.

• Brohoof 2

These days the average of the gamer is mid-20s to 30s. The only time it was primarily children was way back in the early 90s when Nintendo was the big one.

So...no. Gaming isn't childish in the least when you consider that the people that keep the very industry running are those who actually have the jobs to support it.

I hate this stereotype that we gamers are nothing but a bunch of man-children living in our mother's basement playing video games all day. Anyone who thinks playing video games is childish clearly hasn't played any adult-oriented games.

That also depends on how you define "adult-oriented" though. Just because a game is M-rated doesn't mean it's necessarily made for adults. The ratings are less about the intended age group and more just the content description.

Which is why games like GTA are often at the helm of anti-video game movements. They may be M-rated but they can scarcely be called an adult game.

• Brohoof 1

Everyone in my computer software classes games from the students to the mature students to some of the teachers game. Obviously you can game like 100 hours a week during the summer holiday when your 10 year old kid or whatever, so there is a difference between children and adults there.

However the people who say games are for kids usually waste their time on whatever they enjoy. TV, fishing, music, reading etc. How are those different? It's all for entertainment.

Edited by PinkiusPiecus
  • Brohoof 1

These days the average of the gamer is mid-20s to 30s. The only time it was primarily children was way back in the early 90s when Nintendo was the big one.So...no. Gaming isn't childish in the least when you consider that the people that keep the very industry running are those who actually have the jobs to support it.That also depends on how you define "adult-oriented" though. Just because a game is M-rated doesn't mean it's necessarily made for adults. The ratings are less about the intended age group and more just the content description.Which is why games like GTA are often at the helm of anti-video game movements. They may be M-rated but they can scarcely be called an adult game.

Well, that's true, but I think the game's content makes it clear that the game is intended for an adult audience. I mean, no rational adult would ever consider letting their kid play a game like GTA.

• Brohoof 1