Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you like an overarching villan this season?

TheMisterManGuy

Here's an interesting idea the show can experiment with. For season 5, instead of having a one-shot villan for a 2-parter, have a villan that lasts throughout the entire season. Every few episodes or so, one of the mane 6 is confronted by it, and then have an epic final battle for the season finalle. It doesn't have to be a traditional villan like Tirek though. It could be an entity, like an organization, or an evil spirit of sorts.

The SoL and Comedic episodes can still be used for breather episodes. Do you think it can work for the show? I can see it happening, but it does sound a little too ambitious, and may require Hasbro to double Season 5's episode length, similar to what Cartoon Network did with Adventure Time's 5th season. 

• Brohoof 2

The SoL and Comedic episodes can still be used for breather episodes.

This is probably the biggest issue with them having an overarching villain (or any epic, not-subtle plot that lasts for more than two episodes). The SoL episodes would have to be delegated to "breather episodes" in order for it to work - and MLP is not a show of action, but SoL on the side. It's SoL, but with action on the side. Of course, a television show can take a genre shift, but MLP is not one of the shows that needs it, nor would I think would be suitable for such a thing.

• Brohoof 3

This is probably the biggest issue with them having an overarching villain (or any epic, not-subtle plot that lasts for more than two episodes). The SoL episodes would have to be delegated to "breather episodes" in order for it to work - and MLP is not a show of action, but SoL on the side. It's SoL, but with action on the side. Of course, a television show can take a genre shift, but MLP is not one of the shows that needs it, nor would I think would be suitable for such a thing.

I always saw it as a SoL/Adventure hybrid show. And your right, action and violence don't have to be the hilights of Season 5, nor would I really want them to. But, Season 4 has played up the shows' adventure aspects alot more, and I would like to see this aspect embraced more often in the show, which is why I feel an overarching villain would be beneficial. I'm not asking for an action series though. If I wanted mindless fighting, I'd watch Dragon Ball Z.

Well, it would change the dynamic of the show, but it's an interesting idea, making a more subtle villain that is present the whole season, since trying to top MLP Ball Z head on is futile  :unsure:  

I don't think the show should go that far with a villain. There has to be enough off episodes too in every season and we do have recurring kind of/sort of antagonists like Discord and Trixie. At most, if a season has an overarching villain, I would say it could build up to a final confrontation with him/her/them but no more time should be dedicated to that than season 4's plot thread about the keys. Even those episodes had their own storylines that are only connected by the acquisition of the keys and the building of a friendship to get those keys. Speaking of friendship, that kind of has to be a thing that's worked into the plot even if there is a villain with a longer presence in the next season.

To be honest, I think villains, like any character type or plot point, have their time and place. There will undoubtedly be times when they pop up, and given the superhero-esque council subplot that appears to form the backbone of season 5, we may see one or two of them, but there are plenty of other ways to tell a story, and FiM is known for balancing different types of episodes and stories, so I'd rather that balance not be shifted too far in any one direction. Sure, I want to see some payoff to the cool castle and the creepy cult town in the preview, but I also want to see some slice of life, comedic and musical episodes in addition to those with action and/or suspense.

• Brohoof 3

The SoL and Comedic episodes can still be used for breather episodes.

How much fun could the ponies have in the SoL episodes if they knew they had a villain looming over them behind their backs?

The way it could work would be to have 4 or 5 separate villains during the season, and then as part of the season finale (or perhaps in a cliff-hanger just before the finale) to reveal them all to be henchmen of the main bad guy.

How much fun could the ponies have in the SoL episodes if they knew they had a villain looming over them behind their backs?

The way it could work would be to have 4 or 5 separate villains during the season, and then as part of the season finale (or perhaps in a cliff-hanger just before the finale) to reveal them all to be henchmen of the main bad guy.

Which is exactly why I suggested an organization of sorts. A member of this organization can pop up every few episodes to challenge one of the mane 6.

There wouldn't be much variety, given it's always focused on the villain. Probably too tense of a scenario... unless it's of Epic proportions.

I do like the idea about a group, society, or clan of enemies. Working in a similar fanfic myself.
But back on topic, on a personal perspective, it would be better to have at least three episodes dedicated to the villain/villains, and the main events which would take place on the season finale.

Developing new characters and villains, so you get to know their motivation, backstory, or even the reason why they turned evil. Setting a solid, more epic path towards the season finale. Even developing emotional links with the villains.

It would be also cool to have the mane six, going on an adventure. as a direct result from the main events taking place on the the season. Out of the lands and queendoms we already know about. Although without all the narrative support from some of the relatable places we know, the new characters, places, and story plot would have to be pretty good, if not totally amazing in  quality terms.

Like an epic movie, with adventure, fun, mistery, drama, new characters. Developing further the characters we already know, getting to know more about the mane six and their "world"

I'm not sure if it's possible, though. A lot of writers... developing a complex, yet focused story line, in form of an entire season. It would be amazing!

I think having a bad guy/gal who would

pop up in a few eps through the season

might be kinda nice! 

It would make for a on going sub story

line and all...

I think it'd be interesting if they could tackle something like that, but they'd have to be careful how they implement such an idea. I think it could be made to work, but they'd have to do so while making sure things aren't THAT tense so as to make the normal, everyday situations seem awkward.

It's possible, but I don't see it happening outside of the comics.

Well, if they do it in a similar way to how they did it in Sailor Moon, it could work.  I don't normally bring up Magical Girl series', but Sailor Moon was really good at having a consistent villain, while still managing to keep the storyline about the main protagonists.  So it can be done.

I would rather have another low-key, down-to-earth arc like the Gala this season

I would like to see another season finale Iike that one season. As much as I love the grand finales we have had lately, I also really like what was done with the season 1 finale, and though Magical Mystery Cure is only a single episode, it has its grand points too, whereas The Best Night Ever just has fun with its premise and provides an entertaining episode with a good lesson and a decent way to end things for the season. However, given where I think things are going in season 5, I think the season will have to end in a similar manner to most previous ones so I'm not holding my breath on that this time. Perhaps a more modest finale will work for later seasons though given that seasons 6-9 are also supposedly planned last I heard. Granted, I heard that ages ago so perhaps the plan has changed. There is no sign of the show's creative staff wanting to hang it up yet though. Edited by Tross

Which is exactly why I suggested an organization of sorts. A member of this organization can pop up every few episodes to challenge one of the mane 6.

I'm thinking more about them making their presence known to the audience, or showing themselves as average jerks causing average problems, while secretly, finding out their weaknesses to exploit them at the finale. It's a more subtle way to have overaching villains and it's doesn't messes with the show's formula

Twi - Trixie

Pinkie - Cheese Sandwich

Rarity - Suri Polomare

Dashie - Lighting Dust

A.J - Flam and Flim

Spike - Owlowiscious

Time to throw some competition for Fluttershy.

I'd also like to have a badass arch nemesis of Discord.

As for an evil organization or a hostile country, I dunno, don't really wanna turn MLP into some sort of Shonen anime, unless they're doing an anime spin-off....