Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Poniverse Hearth's Warming Eve Contest

Batbrony

img-3305162-1-large.png

*sigh* Ya know what a night like this, all cozy and curled up by the fireside, calls for girls?  :bedeyes: 

*everypony else* A good book?  :comeatus: 

How'd you know?!  :wau: 

Ho, ho, ho, everypony, guess who’s coming to town?  :twilight:

That’s right, it’s me, BATBRONY!  :pinkie:  Wait… why are you all looking at me like that?  It’s almost like you were expecting someone else.  Oh come on, don’t look so disappointed!  :angry:

Hey, I may not have toys, or candy, or Season 5 for ya’ll, but I’ve still got something just as awesome! :har:  To any and all writers of MLP fanfiction, it is my pleasure to announce yet another exciting opportunity for you all!  Seeing as our first fanfiction contest went so well, we're pleased to inform you all that the Poniverse Fimfiction group is launching another fanfiction contest!  See, what’d I tell ya?  Just as good as all that other stuff.

But wait, there’s more!  It being the happiest, most wonderful time of the year, this contest will have a Hearth’s Warming Eve theme!  Here are the contest rules and parameters:

• (1) All entries must be somehow tied to or centered around Hearth’s Warming Eve, whether comedy, slice of life, romance, horror, adventure, or some other genre.
  • (2) Entries should be no longer than 25,000 words. We'd prefer that all entries be one-shot fics, but if the author requires multiple chapters for their fic, that's fine, so long as the fic does not exceed 25,000 words and is complete upon entry.
  • (3) Entries cannot exceed a Teen rating. We will not accept any Mature rated fics, whether they be Gore fics, Slash fics, Clop fics, etc. That's not to say that you can't enter scary fics ( :ooh:though why you’d want to for Christmas is beyond me, but eh, to each his own), but our group has a strict policy of not accepting Mature rated fics. If any Mature rated fics are entered, we will not read or review them.
  • (4) Fics can be submitted to the contest in the folder titled "Hearth’s Warming Eve Contest Entries".
  • (5) Contestants can enter no more than 1 submission of their own work (and please, do not enter any other author's work into the contest, even if you're doing it for them; if they'd like to enter the contest, they can do so themselves).
  • (6) Entries will be accepted until December 28; after that date, we will accept no new submissions.

We hope to announce the contest winners on January 1, although that date may change depending on whatever real life demands may arise in the next month. The fics that come in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be featured on our Fimfiction group, MLP Forums, and the Poniverse Newsletter for January, along with reviews published for each one.  In addition, 1st place will receive a free art commission by the artist LightningStormweaver, 2nd place will receive a free art commission by the artist CITRUS KING46, and 3rd place will receive a free art commission by the artist Balareth.  All three pieces will be 1-2 character full art pieces with a basic background, and may be whatever the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners desire, whether it be cover art for a fic, or just art of an OC. Check out some of LightningStormweaver's (DA account name: TheCraftyWhiteFox) lovely art on her deviantART page here, CITRUS KING46's awesome art on his deviantART page here, and Balareth's sweet art on his deviantART page here.

We hope you enjoy this contest as much as the last one, and hope to see some wonderful entries that help get us all into the holiday spirit yet again!  So get to it writers, and show us what you've got!?  Let’s do our part with the mighty pen to make this the most wonderful, wonderful, wonderful time of the year!  :kindness:

img-3305162-2-160437__safe_twilight%20sp

Update: Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up on where the judging is at.  I want to apologize and let you know right now that the results will not be ready to announce by Jan. 1.  I've just been super busy with my family this break and haven't had too much time to go over most of the fics.  I'll just need about a week or so to get through 'em, so look for the results being announced either Jan. 7 or 8 at the latest.  Sorry again about the delay guys, I promise you I look very much forward to getting through the remaining fics!

• Brohoof 15

Hmm, you know, once I finish all my apps for university, I might as well give this a shot. Thanks for the post. :)

No problemo, and I look forward to seeing what you might come up with!  :muffins:

• Brohoof 4

I know I will most likely ... ah, what am I saying? I will definitely not write a fanfic this time either, after I already didn't do so for the Nightmare Night Contest (Yes, I'm actually telling myself to not do something I actually would like to do ... Does this count as a form of procrastination? Hm ...), even though my initial idea would fit better into a Christma- I mean, Hearth's Warming Eve setting, but I sure do hope that we'll get some cheesy romance and heart warming stuff from our fellow fandom fanfic writers.

Go ahead, you know you wanna write it. :lol:

• Brohoof 3

I know I will most likely ... ah, what am I saying? I will definitely not write a fanfic this time either, after I already didn't do so for the Nightmare Night Contest (Yes, I'm actually telling myself to not do something I actually would like to do ... Does this count as a form of procrastination? Hm ...), even though my initial idea would fit better into a Christma- I mean, Hearth's Warming Eve setting, but I sure do hope that we'll get some cheesy romance and heart warming stuff from our fellow fandom fanfic writers.

Go ahead, you know you wanna write it. :lol:

Awwwww, no Sparity Hearth's Warming Eve tales just dying to be told jumping around in that head of yours!  :o   Or maybe, by stating that you're not going to do it, you're actually trying to trick your brain into doing the opposite of what you say you're going to do, thereby triggering a state of activity in your declaration of committing to inactivity.  :mustache:

its-science-anchorman.gif

Or maybe I'm over-thinking the buck out of this.  :kindness:

• Brohoof 6

I watched Hearth's Warming Eve again. Is a story supposed to be about the play? I don't know much else about it so what could a story focus on?

Oh it doesn't have to be about the play, it can just be about the holiday itself!  It's always been my understanding (and I think most bronies would agree) that the holiday's generally MLP's version of Christmas.  While it certainly has its own history (which the ponies make a point of marking every year), it also seems, from what we've been shown, to be also understood as just a time of spreading good cheer.  We don't know if they exchange gifts, or how they celebrate it beyond the plays they stage to mark the holiday, but it's easy and acceptable enough to speculate that they celebrate it very similar to ways most people celebrate the Christmas holiday, i.e. by gathering with friends and family, eating good food, trying to spread good cheer to all, and yes, maybe even exchanging presents.  Point is, there's all sorts of things you can write about concerning the holiday.  Maybe somepony has a crush that they want to admit their feelings to, and decide to do so for Hearth's Warming Eve (after all, the holiday's all about the importance of love and friendship for Equestria itself, and what it means in the ponies' heritage), or maybe two friends have been fighting lately but finally make up for Hearth's Warming Eve.  Maybe the princesses decide to spend the holiday with those who need cheering up the most, like the poor and homeless, or the orphaned or sick.  There's so many stories you could tell, but as a general rule, just think of giving a Christmasy feel to it in some way (though again, that doesn't mean you CAN'T write a dark story; I'm not sure how you would, but you're perfectly free to try doing so).

• Brohoof 5

@,

Go to http://www.fimfiction.net/group/204078/folder/36857/1/hearth039s-warming-eve-contest-entries.

@,

If you are having troubles submitting, you are going to have to speak with knighty about that. He would know what to do.

@,

So, I was looking at your FiMfiction account (found you in the members list on the Poniverse group) and noticed that you don't happen to have a story posted up at the moment. I assume that it is because you finished it, but didn't submit it for the site's story approvers to read? If you did submit it, they may be taking a while to get to it. Trust me, it takes them about an hour or two after submitting for them to get to it. If you didn't submit, go to "My Stories" under your account and on your story, near the "Delete" tab on they little gray box above your description/synopsis, there will be a little cloud icon with an arrow that says "Submit" click there and it'll submit your story. If you are missing a few things (i.e. "Long Description") it will tell you to go back and edit that. Do so and click "Submit" again. It should then allow you to submit your story which the story approvers (the one who usually sees my stuff is Shadowflash) will see soon. You will then get a PM telling you the story was approved. Afterwards, try posting it to the group.

Hope that helps. :kindness:

Edited by ArcticFrost933
  • Brohoof 2

I have a decent idea for this, in my head, at least, but I doubt very muchly that anypony else would like it. I'll probably still try to post my idea though...

Hey, go for it, you've got nothing to lose just by trying!  :pinkie:  I'd love to see what you could come up with.  :rarity:

• Brohoof 4

Hey, go for it, you've got nothing to lose just by trying!  :pinkie:  I'd love to see what you could come up with.  :rarity:

Something just occurred to me. What... If I happen to be the only one to enter? I mean, I doubt I will be, but what would happen if that were the case?

Also, is there going to be a Hearts and Hooves Day Contest? 'Cause I just wrote something that may be qualifiable. Anyways, that is all for now. If you'd like, I could try and get this contest some more publicity.

• Brohoof 3

Something just occurred to me. What... If I happen to be the only one to enter? I mean, I doubt I will be, but what would happen if that were the case?

Also, is there going to be a Hearts and Hooves Day Contest? 'Cause I just wrote something that may be qualifiable. Anyways, that is all for now. If you'd like, I could try and get this contest some more publicity.

In the unlikely event that you were the only entry, you'd end up winning first place.  Obviously it'd be kinda silly and unfair of their time to ask all three artists to make art for one person (tantalizing as that may sound), but you'd still win the first place commission.  :rarity:

Also, yes, I do plan on hopefully organizing a Hearts and Hooves Day Contest, probably around the middle of January since Valentines Day is always at a strange time of the year in the middle of February.  And if you could try to get the word out on this contest, by all means go right ahead, I'd love to have more participants and see more people join the Poniverse group!  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 3

In the unlikely event that you were the only entry, you'd end up winning first place. Obviously it'd be kinda silly and unfair of their time to ask all three artists to make art for one person (tantalizing as that may sound), but you'd still win the first place commission. :rarity:

Also, yes, I do plan on hopefully organizing a Hearts and Hooves Day Contest, probably around the middle of January since Valentines Day is always at a strange time of the year in the middle of February.

And I'd love to see some April Fool's fanfiction starting our favorite draconequus. :please:

• Brohoof 3

And I'd love to see some April Fool's fanfiction starting our favorite draconequus. :please:

Boss, YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!  :pinkie:

FattyGenius.gif

30308__safe_rarity_animated.gif

PR Staff haz best bozz.  'Tis a fact.  :bedeyes: 

• Brohoof 3

Applejack_blush_S02E14.gif

Oh... Thank you. :blush:

Seriously though. Can't wait to read these entries.

Oh, I hope I didn't overdo it in that last post.  :blush:   You did seriously give me a light bulb moment though, I had not considered the possibility of an April Fools' Day contest till you brought it up.  :rarity:  But seriously, keep being awesome Desty, love working with you on the PR staff.  :kindness:

• Brohoof 3