Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the Mane 6/FiM characters influence/reflect your choice of girlfriend/friend?

GuillermoGage

Do the Mane 6 / MLPFiM characters influence /reflect your choice of girlfriend / friends?

Does anyone here have friends or want friends that have the virtues of the characters in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Especially the Mane 6?

I wonder if, what with the inherently feminist message of MLP:FiM, that there are dudes who have been influenced by the characters on this show to have a preference for girls who have friendly, personalities.

Then there's physical appearance, to some degree in the form of mane shapes and human hair... if you want to talk about that... but I personally am not so into that.

I, for example adore Rarity's cuteness and beauty as a pony, but believe that her mane shape, moreso than any other pony can't truly be translated onto a human head.

And females, I ask you, do you ever relate the cute adorable girlfriend moments that the ponies do here? Mane 6 or Cutie Mark Crusaders maybe? Sacred sisterly-ness?

• Brohoof 2

Well, I love the FiM characters and their friendships, so of course I would love to have friends like them! I can definitely see some similarities and certain character traits in my friends (my best friend is a lot like Rainbow Dash and I'm a lot like Fluttershy), but I think it's more that the M6 have traits that are generally considered good/that you would want in a friend IRL, and obviously it's good to make characters relatable in general, rather than watching the show has changed my views or what I value in people. If anything it reinforces a lot of the things I already believe and I think are good messages for people (mainly young kids because I guess they're more impressionable and who the "moral" part of the show is mostly affecting, but there are definitely older folks who can use a reminder of those things too)! They're definitely not unique to MLP...But I also try to remember that while characters may be relatable and feel like real people, they're...not (duh :P) and so while obviously it would be awesome if I had friends exactly like the M6, media often presents an unrealistic ideal of relationships, both platonic and romantic, that don't work quite the same way IRL.

(On a slightly more personal note, I am glad I got into FiM after I made awesome friends, because if it was the period of my life where I had no RL friends at all, the show would probably make me feel even more lonely and depressed, and envious of the awesome friendships that I don't have...and this is probably getting way OT, but I think that yeah, it's important not to let TV influence your RL expectations *too* much, which can happen and I can imagine it happening in something with such amazing life-changing friendships as FiM. But maybe it did make me more grateful for my friends, even though obviously we're not *exactly* like the M6, just in terms of appreciating them more...hmm...yeah, anyway~)

I'm a girl but I don't have many female friends, so I would quite like a friend like Rarity because I'm clueless about fashion, clothes etc but like to look pretty if I can, so she could help me with that stuff and that would be cool (and really useful for cosplay with her sewing knowledge! :lol: ) ^^ my mum is the closest thing to IRL Rarity I know, although thankfully much less of a drama queen XD

• Brohoof 2

post-24296-0-38725900-1417907367_thumb.jpg

In honesty, I look for certain qualities in potential partners.

I like certain types of personalities, for example the shy, kind archetype is something that I like.

I don't think Fluttershy directly made me prefer that type of personality, I think that was just something that I liked anyways.

To answer your question, I don't think the mane 6 have anything to do with what choice of partner I have. Chances are that the mane 6 can influence who I like but only a little bit. :)

• Brohoof 1

I actually posted a similar topic awhile back: http://mlpforums.com/topic/98619-would-you-like-your-partner-to-have-similar-traits-as-your-fav-of-the-mane-six/

I'll just quote what I put:

I got to thinking, while we each love our favorite of the Mane Six for various reasons when it comes to human partners ideally would they incorporate many of the same characteristics as our favorite Mare? And if you do have a partner would you say they are at all like your favorite?

I got to thinking about this because honestly I have always felt much the same way regarding the type of woman I not only get along with best but would love to see in a partner.

Like ghostie my fav is by far Rarity. And I have to say my type of woman is much like her; classy, elegant, lady-like, feminine, yet generous, strong, capable and, of course beautiful. Unlike most guys I wouldn't care AT ALL if my partner had to take lots of time getting ready or was really into fashion such as Rarity. In fact, I would love to see my hypothetical gf talk about fashion in such, not because I myself am really into it, but I do feel amazed at the way some women know so much about what to or not to wear or what is or is not in season etc. I also enjoy more "sophisticated" activities such as the opera and such. I have just always been most attracted to the more sophisticated and classy yet strong and determined woman.

Of course every woman is different, I am just saying that for me as far as types go a woman like Rarity would be perfect for me.

I always imagine how different my life would be if I ever met someone like Pinkie.

Even though everypony thinks it's better just leave Cranky Doodle Donkey alone, Pinkie still wants to try to make him smile and make friends with him.

I for one who has few friends, would be grateful to anyone for trying a little harder to befriend me (though I know it's mostly my fault that I don't have many friends). 

Edited by Osiria
  • Brohoof 1

Choice of girlfriend? Is it Love something that you actually choose about?

We share sincerity with my friends. It's about similar frequencies of mind and heart.

There has been some times when I chose to let go of some relationships. Our consciousness leaps forward as the time goes on, but sadly enough, it doesn't happen always at the same rate. We would be lying to ourselves otherwise.

Physical beauty is something to admire, but it remains physical. Love is an inner e-motion of indescribable beauty. Far beyond physicality, time perception, and the rational mind.

I'm not saying that romantic relationships may be a bad experience. Not at all. But love is actually transcendental!

So, my answer is "no" it hasn't changed my perspective on friendship, nor love. Both come naturally.

Well with the love aspect it is a bit picky but you can't go wrong I mean if you want to spend a lengthily amount of time with someone you genuinely would care for by all means choose the type of person in which you think would suit that. I for one with friends aren't too fussed about it sure they're can be REALLY ANNOYING but they're perfect in the qualities in which they posses, though having a girlfriend which contains the elements of loyalty, honesty, laughter, kindness and generosity would be divine and a dream come true.

:rarity:

I never had a girlfriend, but I won't be too picky with one. I think it's dumb to seek a girl with the exact personality of any mane6, since both fictional and real people are not exactly alike, but the mane6 have proven they are overall, good and morally healthy people, I just want a lady like that overall, good and morally healthy  -_-

I've always wanted a girlfriend like Rainbow Dash or Twilight Sparkle way before I've even started watching the show. I'm leaning more toward Rainbow Dash's personality though. I want a girl I can fist bump. And as for a girl like Twilight Sparkle, I would knock her books down and call her a nerd in a friendly way. xD

I never had a girlfriend, but I won't be too picky with one. I think it's dumb to seek a girl with the exact personality of any mane6, since both fictional and real people are not exactly alike, but the mane6 have proven they are overall, good and morally healthy people, I just want a lady like that overall, good and morally healthy  -_-

I thought I might have been the only one that's never had a girlfriend. Then again, I am 20 years old. lol

From what I can tell personally, I haven't come across anybody who I know has a personality similar to that of the mane six, but I hope I find somebody who is similar to either Twilight Sparkle or Pinkie Pie. My own personality is very similar to that of Twilight Sparkle with the only exception that Twilight obsesses over organisation.

I remember one of my friends telling me that he was great friends with a girl he met at high school who had a personality similar to that of Pinkie Pie, but that's about as much as I know so far. It would be amazing if I found somebody who had a personality that was at least similar to the mane six.

I used to hang around people who acted like Pinkie Pie as they used to make me happy. As of now though I tend to only talk to those who act like Twilight Sparkle. As for girlfriends, I wouldn't mind having a girlfriend who acts like Rarity or Twilight, or a boyfriend who acts like Discord or Cheese Sandwich. I did date someone who acted like Pinkie before, but it was a bit much and I probably wouldn't do it again. 

For my old group of friends (I don't speak to any of them anymore), there was a Pinkie, a Rainbow, an Applejack, a Rarity, and me the Twilight/Fluttershy. 

For myself when I get obsessed with something and someone brings it up in a conversation, I turn into an automatic Twilight Sparkle and fangirl like crazy despite being shyer than Fluttershy. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm female, but most of my friends are guys, since most of the people on here are guys (I don't have many friends outside the forums). One of my female friends on here is like a mix of Twilight and Applejack, though; and the other one is more like Rarity.

Anyway, I don't think I look for friends based on the mane 6. A friend is a good friend if they treat me well and we get along. :)

I will say that I would hate having a friend like Pinkie Pie though. That would be so dam annoying >_>

Edited by SparklingSwirls

Choice of girlfriend? Is it Love something that you actually choose about?

We share sincerity with my friends. It's about similar frequencies of mind and heart.

There has been some times when I chose to let go of some relationships. Our consciousness leaps forward as the time goes on, but sadly enough, it doesn't happen always at the same rate. We would be lying to ourselves otherwise.

Physical beauty is something to admire, but it remains physical. Love is an inner e-motion of indescribable beauty. Far beyond physicality, time perception, and the rational mind.

I'm not saying that romantic relationships may be a bad experience. Not at all. But love is actually transcendental!

So, my answer is "no" it hasn't changed my perspective on friendship, nor love. Both come naturally.

Well, feelings for someone don't get planned out; they don't come at some pre-determined time... I generally meant one's guess about what kind of people they'd like. I generally meant, like taste in girlfriend. Like, what people figure would appeal to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of, but not entirely. I mean, what i look for in friends, or even an intimate partner isn't necessarily aligned with the mane 6, or any pony for that matter. To elaborate:

First and foremost, i value absolute trust in ANYONE i consider my friend or anything beyond that - i feel that without trust and safe reliance on another, i cannot attach to them. Whether i wish to get closer to someone or not is irrelevant - it's their actions that matter. I was betrayed before, so i consider loyalty a paramount value. So maybe you can say that i derive these character models from Rainbow Dash.

Next, i would say that i value intelligence and wit - I consider myself to be smart to a certain degree and i wish to establish cliques with people who can understand me on a similar level. At the same time, however, i'd say i'm kind of eccentric and weird sometimes (as iv'e been told), so people who can take my quirky mannerisms and humor are just as welcome. In these departments, i could draw various traits from Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie.

As for physical attraction; yes, ponies are cute and adorable. But not in a way that i find their anatomy physically attractive. I'm still physically attracted only to females of my own species, and preferably from close ethnic origins to my own.