Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Chlorine gas Incident at Midwest Furfest in Chicago

Flutter's lover <3

This is horrible, why would anyone do this? It's one thing to dislike a fandom but to actively try to eliminate its fanbase is horrible.

Aside from that what about the people who were at the hotel who were NOT furries? This is disgraceful.

• Brohoof 2

Ugh, that's despicable if you ask me.

Intentionally trying to do an act of terrorism like that is horrible. What's even worse is the fact that Facebook is thinking this is a good justice. 

Even scarier, the fact I'm about a couple hours away from Chicago and I am a furry.

What a fucking disgusting act.

Edited by Tera The Unicorn

I was there.  :wau:

Now, to clear things up, furries are basically people who think anthro characters are cool. It's not a fetish. There are a few people who take it in that direction, but they're not the main group. It's exactly like how there are lots of awesome bronies, and then you have the cloppers. Cloppers don't represent the entire fandom, but some people think they do. Fur fetishists don't represent the entire fandom, but some people think they do. 

But.. yeah. So this is what happened from my perspective.. 

It was my very first furry convention, and my first convention ever. Around 1 or 2am, the fire alarms went off throughout the entire hotel, and everyone was evacuated asap. No one knew what was going on at the time. Some people thought it was a prank. Then rumors of a gas leak around floors 9 and 10 started going around. 

There were firetrucks and other police vehicles lined all the way down the street. There were people in fursuits, people in their pj's, people wrapped up in coats... a lot of them were cold (it was very cold that night). Everyone was told to go to the other side of the street for safety. The building was flashing with emergency lights from every window. 

Someone started pulling the crowd back into the lobby at one point, but officers quickly rushed them back out. 

Eventually, everyone was corralled into the convention center across the street, and then pushed to the very back of the building so we were at the minimum safe distance. 

We all sat there/stood around there for a few hours. Some people were talking, others were joking, and still others were huddled up, comforting those who were worried. 

I did my best to take pictures and keep twitter updated (I'm a bit of a reporter at heart). 

Everyone was cleared to re-enter the building sometime between 4 and 5am. 

After that, I heard about the nineteen people who went to the hospital. I don't think anyone was severely injured however. 

A few days later, one of my friends (who was with me at the time) told me he worked with a guy who was working security that night. Apparently there had been chlorine powder bombs of some sort planted around the hotel. 

Here are a few pictures I took during that time: 

B4PMGbGCUAArA-o.jpg

B4PluVHIAAANXB1.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Now, to clear things up, furries are basically people who think anthro characters are cool. It's not a fetish. There are a few people who take it in that direction, but they're not the main group. It's exactly like how there are lots of awesome bronies, and then you have the cloppers. Cloppers don't represent the entire fandom, but some people think they do. Fur fetishists don't represent the entire fandom, but some people think they do. 

" there are lots of awesome bronies, and then you have the cloppers"

Gee thanks.....

• Brohoof 2

" there are lots of awesome bronies, and then you have the cloppers"

Gee thanks.....

Well, that doesn't mean cloppers are horrible people.  :( It's just that more people are sensitive to that topic, and when people apply a more sensitive topic to an entire group (even if that isn't the case), then it can sometimes bring up more negative results by people who are more traditional. 

I personally have nothing against cloppers, or furry fetishists. If that's what a person likes, more power to them. I would NEVER judge someone based on something like that. It doesn't hurt anyone, it's completely fine with me. I'm sure they're very nice people too. Unfortunately, not everyone wants to accept things like that, and then people get mean. And when people say an entire group does something they don't like, they get even meaner. 

I'm sorry. *hugs* I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else in any way. 

Well, that doesn't mean cloppers are horrible people.  :( It's just that more people are sensitive to that topic, and when people apply a more sensitive topic to an entire group (even if that isn't the case), then it can sometimes bring up more negative results by people who are more traditional. 

I personally have nothing against cloppers, or furry fetishists. If that's what a person likes, more power to them. I would NEVER judge someone based on something like that. It doesn't hurt anyone, it's completely fine with me. I'm sure they're very nice people too. Unfortunately, not everyone wants to accept things like that, and then people get mean. And when people say an entire group does something they don't like, they get even meaner. 

I'm sorry. *hugs* I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else in any way. 

It's fine, my original comment was actually going to that it sucks that your first con turned out that way, but my jimmies became rustled for a second...

You should try Ponyville Ciiderfest next year its only a couple hour north of there and it is awesome.

all admit it furrys are a little bit eh but i wont judge the fact is if people can do that what will happen when the next bronycon comes around were thell be thousends of people they wont just use gas eather to many people thats what worrys me and one more thing WHAT ABOOUT THE PEOPLE STAYING IN THE HOTEL THAT ARENT FURRYS THE STAFF THE CHILDREN!

It's fine, my original comment was actually going to that it sucks that your first con turned out that way, but my jimmies became rustled for a second...

You should try Ponyville Ciiderfest next year its only a couple hour north of there and it is awesome.

I'm never going to stop feeling bad about that now. :s 

I'm sorry again. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm surprised that the police still haven't figured out who did this or why. I'm really interested to know if there is someone out there who really hates furries that much, or if there is some other weird reason for this.

I'm surprised that the police still haven't figured out who did this or why. I'm really interested to know if there is someone out there who really hates furries that much, or if there is some other weird reason for this.

To tell the truth i think the police just don't care for furries. I was watching a news segment and the reporters actually were laughing at furries...

Edited by Panne

To tell the truth i think the police just don't care for furries. I was watching a news segment and the reporters actually were laughing at furries...

What.

Did I read that right?

reporters laughing at furries

Does not compute.

Isn't the media supposed to at least seem good?

Or something?

Nopony_Important.exe has crashed.

Edited by Nopony_Important

What.

Did I read that right?

Does not compute.

Isn't the media supposed to at least seem good?

Or something?

Nopony_Important.exe has crashed.

Have you seen reporters talk with/about bronies/furries? The either try and shame them or out right laugh at them.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping this old thread but, I only heard about this today. People say it's either PETA, or us. We would not do such a thing, my guess is that it might have been an attack by PETA protesting against gassing animals. In the old days they gassed foxes and rats, and PETA might as well be protesting by actually making humans feel like them. How disgusting.

Also, I just realized this is in Chicago. Was it the Max Headroom dude? AIden Pearce? Nah I'm Joking. But this is very serious, I still wish that they would do something. It's been a month.

Do you remember Heysel? It was very similar as it was caused by Hooligans. So maybe there are some Brony and Furry ''Hooligans'' out there who smash stuff and have wars with each other.