Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Heart Warming Hearth's Warming Eve Story

Overdrive

Chapter 1

Winter came early in Ponyville, as it was barely halfway through November. The weather crew worked their hardest to keep the frigid temperatures and snow at bay, to which Mother Nature obliged with force. The plants quickly withered away with each passing hour, as earth ponies of all sorts scrambled to save their harvests and gardens, all to no avail. Chaos ensued, with each and every pony hectically rushed to prepare for the oncoming early winter.

Yet, there were a few already prepared for the weather to some. Some even embraced the changing seasons, often experiencing boosts in business and productivity. Such was the case with one red stallion pegasus. The young, handsome pony worked day and night, often for days at a time, repairing cast iron heating stoves, fireplaces, and other appliances for those panicking and rushing around before winter’s onset.

“Alright Mrs. Cake, I have your stove right here, ready to keep you and your family nice and toasty for the winter,” Overdrive said to Mrs. Cake. The stallion’s appearance often gave other ponies an intimidating first impression. His spiked mohawk, tall and skinny build, and bright red coat didn’t exactly give the vibe of “friendship” off, but once somepony came to know him better, understood the gentle, kind spirit within that body.

“I know I quoted you that at first, the repair would be 35 bits. That being said, I found some spare parts for your stove, and it will only be a 25 bit repair,” Overdrive said, smiling in the process.

“Oh, I do appreciate it, Overdrive,” Mrs. Cake responded, “You’ve helped us so much before, and now with the discount, I can buy Pumpkin and Pound Cake more gifts for the holidays. Just for your generosity, the next time you come into Sugarcube Corner, the order’s on the house.”

He blushed. “You don’t have to do that, Mrs. Cake. Fixing things for ponies is something I enjoy doing. Anyway, I’ll make sure your stove is delivered by the end of the day. Tell Mr. Cake I said hello.” He received the bits from Mrs. Cake, and waved as she departed for Sugarcube Corner.

He then looked over at the clock. “8 o’clock,” he commented, “It’s getting late. Probably a good time to close shop for the night, and just relax for a little.” With that, he turned out the lights, locked the door, and headed into his home, attached to his workshop.

As he trotted into his living room, a familiar sound greeted him. “Sparky? Come here boy,” Overdrive responded, calling to his Labrador Retriever. The dog was still young, barely three months old. He had a soft, golden brown coat, and was known for his playfulness and spry nature. Overdrive found him abandoned one day a few weeks before, and instantly fell in love with his now-faithful companion.

“I missed you, buddy,” he quipped, as he laid on the floor, playing with the puppy, before springing back up, remembering his duty. “Is somepony hungry?” The dog obliged with a bark, as well as a quick bit of begging. “Oh, alright. Come on, let’s get you some chow.”

Overdrive trotted into his kitchen, with Sparky close in tow. He noticed the bowls were empty, then immediately filled them, one with Grade-A dog food, and the other with water. As Sparky chowed down, Overdrive lit his stove, then proceeded over to the refrigerator, in which he took out a few eggs, a tomato, and a block of cheese. He thought to himself, ‘omelet: quick, filling and just downright tasty.’

He cracked the eggs into the hot skillet, in which they sizzled upon hitting the hot surface. As they slowly cooked, Overdrive diced the tomato into small pieces, adding them to the eggs. From there, he grated the cheese over the eggs, and flipped the omelet over onto its other side. After a few more seconds of cooking, Overdrive turned the stove off, and slid the omelet onto a plate.

Pulling up his chair to the table, Overdrive sat down to enjoy his simple, yet delicious dinner. After taking the first bite, Sparky came over and joined him, laying down at his hooves. Overdrive slowly ate, enjoying every bite of his meal.

Once he finished, Overdrive stood up, took his dishes into the kitchen, and washed them in the sink. He then trotted back into the living room, and positioned himself in his favorite recliner. After finding a comfortable position, he grabbed the television remote, and turned the television onto his favorite program. After having a few laughs (at some other poor pony’s expense), he decided to call it a night. “Come on Sparky,” he called, “let’s head to sleep.”

Overdrive walked into his bedroom, and sat down on his bed. Momentarily after, Sparky came bounding in, jumping on the bed, and finding his spot at the end of it. Overdrive briefly prayed, thanking the being above him for another successful, peaceful day. After, he slipped into the covers, turned out the light, and slowly drifted off into sleep, ready for whatever the next day held for him.

Chapter 2

As the sun barely crested up over the hills, and the glowing light flowed into the windows of Overdrive’s house, he was greeted by a bright, pleasant day. He threw off the covers of his bead, slowly stirred to his hooves, stretched, yawned, and lumbered out of his room. He worked his way over to the window, and noticed a light dusting of snow had made its way onto ground from the sky above.

“Well, the first snow of the year came early,” he remarked. “It’s still beautiful, regardless. Maybe I can meet a mare as beautiful as the winter’s snow someday.” With that, he trotted into the kitchen, and began brewing his morning coffee.

Soon after, paws could be heard bounding down the stairs, and claws skidded across the floors. Sparky came crashing into the kitchen, while Overdrive waited for his coffee to brew. “Good morning, Sparky,” Overdrive remarked, bending down to pet his faithful companion.

The coffee pot soon sounded, signaling his morning brew was ready. With that, Overdrive trotted over to the cupboard, grabbing a mug from within it, and placing it on the counter. He then poured the piping hot coffee into the mug, and soon mixed it with cream and sugar. As he sat down at the table, Sparky returned with the morning paper.

“Good boy, Sparky,” Overdrive said to Sparky, praising his pooch as he reached for a treat. He then tossed the treat to the pup, and was obliged by tail wagging and a playful nature from Sparky. With that, the pup retrieved his treat, and Overdrive began reading the paper.

“Hmm,” he commented, “not too much going on these days, apart from the usual winter preparations.” He finished skimming the paper, folded it neatly, and stood up. From there, he trotted into the kitchen, placed his mug into the sink, and then trotted into the bathroom.

Overdrive’s mane doesn’t look the way it does without a little preparation beforehand. A solid amount of hairspray, styling gel, and a little finesse goes into standing his mane up on end. He first washes his mane out, ridding it of any old gel and dirt beforehand, as well as moistening the hair up to make it more workable. Once clean and wet, Overdrive dries his mane with a towel, leaving it somewhat moist. He then combs in the gel, pulling it upwards as it sets, and uses the hairspray as needed to keep his mane standing until the gel sets. Once it sets, he cleans up his bathroom, and continues on his day.

He then walked down into his garage, turned the lights on, flipped the open sign, and awaited his first customer, which he didn’t have to wait long for. “Good morning, Applejack. What can I do for you this morning?”

The terracotta mare, complete with beige mane, Stetson hat and hair ties, trotted in, with her burly brother, Big McIntosh behind, hauling their wood-burning stove behind them. “Mornin’ Overdrive,” she replied. “Ahm afraid that our ol’ stove here is just too plain pooped to pop anymore. What do ya suggest we do?”

Intrigued by the Apple family’s problem, Overdrive began carefully inspecting the stove, aware it was the Apple’s only source of heat for the winter. “Hmm,” he noted. “Well, there’s two ways we can remedy this. The damage is moderate, severe at best. It can get through another winter, but barely. I can either build you a new one, which will last you for a good ten to fifteen years, or I can repair this one now, and it will have to be replaced next year.”

Applejack took note of it, and thought for a few seconds. She then sighed, and responded, “Well, I reckon it would be better to replace it now, rather than wait. What do you think, Big Mac?”

Big Mac replied after a few seconds, “Eeyup.” Applejack, after receiving confirmation from her brother, spoke. “Alright, but how much will this cost? We only have 150 bits to spend.”

Overdrive thought for a second, then reached for a quill and piece of paper. He scribbled down a few numbers, and did the math. “Well, the stove you brought in, can be partially recycled. I can reuse some of the components from your old stove. I can build you a new one, with recycled parts, for 85 bits, and I guarantee you, that you won’t find anypony who will do it cheaper. I can also get it finished by the end of the day, if you and Big Mac can come back before I close.”

“We really appreciate ya doin’ this fahr us, Overdrive. Is there anything we can do in return for ya,” Applejack asked.

He thought for a second, then replied, “how about this? If you can bring me a gallon cider, a pie, and a couple apple dumplings, we’ll call it a deal. How’s that sound?”

Applejack shook his hoof. “It’s a deal. We’ll be back later for it.” Overdrive waved goodbye as the pair departed, and retreated to the seclusion of his workshop to begin crafting the new stove for the Apples.

He first began tearing apart the old stove, and examining what could and couldn’t be reused. The outer casing of the stove itself was entirely unusable, as the changing weather conditions cracked it beyond repair. The inner structure, and wood compartment was still intact, but weathered, and he decided it was usable. The stove pipe would have to be custom made, so the old pipe was thrown into the scrap pile.

As Overdrive worked long, tiring hours, the stove began taking shape. Soon, as dusk fell, the stove was complete, and the second he trotted out of his workshop, Applejack and Big Mac trotted in.

“Ah, just in time,” Overdrive said. “I literally just finished it. Why don’t you two follow me, and I’ll show you?” AJ and Big Mac nodded, and followed. As they rounded the corner, Overdrive asked, “Well, what do you think?”

Applejack took one look, and remarked, “That’s perfect. It’s just what we needed. It looks a little different, though.”

Overdrive the responded, “Well, I made it a bit bigger than the older one. You’ll be able to fit more wood into it, and keep your home warmer over the winter. It’s also more insulated, which means it will last longer as well. And on top of all of that, I was able to reuse a bit more than I thought, so it will only be 80 bits, instead of the 85 I quoted you earlier.”

Surprised and pleased by the news, Applejack hugged Overdrive. “We really appreciate it, Overdrive. In fact, I brought you some fresh apple jam along with the pie, cider and dumplings.”

He blushed. “You didn’t have to do that AJ. I really appreciate it. I’ll have this packed up for you to take home with you.” Overdrive then packed the stove up, loaded it on the cart, and bid Applejack and Big Mac goodnight as he closed up shop for the day. As he was locking the door, he noticed something stirring outside, and began to move towards it. As he approached, the figure jumped.

Chapter 3

The figure in question turned out to be a beautiful, snow white mare, with a jet black mane and tail, bright blue eyes, and earrings adorning her soft ears. She looked as if she had been left where she was for most of the day.

“Hello,” Overdrive softly murmured, “Miss, why are you out here? It’s frigid cold outside. Please, come inside.” The mare obliged, nodding her head, and followed Overdrive into his home.

“Please, have a seat,” Overdrive said as he gestured towards the couch. She silently trotted over, and Overdrive fetched a blanket for his house guest. “Can I get you some tea, or hot cocoa?”

She quietly responded, “Hot cocoa would be nice, if you would please.” Overdrive nodded, then trotted over into the kitchen, and whipped up a cup of hot cocoa for the mare. He soon returned, handing her the hot cocoa, then sat down in a chair.

“If I may ask, what is your name? I’m Overdrive, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” She sat there silently, sipping her cocoa. “Please, don’t be shy. I won’t hurt you, I want to help you. Can you tell me your name?”

She stirred, putting her cup down on the table. “I’m… I’m… I’m Wolf Tracks. You said your name was Overdrive, right?” Her voice sounded angelic and pure, but it was obvious through it came pain and suffering. Overdrive hated hearing the pain, and knew he had to do something more about it.

“Out of curiosity, why were you out in the snow,” Overdrive asked. “You could have just knocked on the door, and I would have more than obliged to let you in.”

She stirred again, this time picking up her hot cocoa. “It’s a long story. Let’s just say that… someone stabbed me in the back, and I had nowhere to go, so I just collapsed outside. I’d rather not talk about it anymore.”

Overdrive understood this, nodded, then trotted upstairs to fix his bed as Wolfy remained downstairs, sipping her cocoa, warming up, and thinking of what had transpired in her life the past few days. She shuttered, for even the thought scared and upset her. She knew she never wanted to experience what happened again, for as long as she lived.

Overdrive soon came back downstairs, and spoke. “You can sleep in my bed this evening, Miss Tracks. It’s fine, honestly. I can sleep here on the couch.”

She looked at him, her eyes sparkling, almost like puppy eyes. “Really, you mean it?” She was in disbelief. Wolfy had never seen this level of compassion from a stallion before. “I... I don’t know what to say. Thank you,” she exclaimed, jumping up from the couch, and hugged Overdrive as if she had never hugged another pony before.

He smiled. “You are very welcome. Go on, get some rest. You’ve had a rough day. The sooner you end this day, the sooner you can start your brighter, new day tomorrow, OK?”

She replied, “You’re right. I’ll be heading to bed soon. By the way, call me Wolfy, OK? Goodnight, and thank you again.”

Overdrive smiled. “Sweet dreams. I’ll see you in the morning.” With that, she made her way upstairs, climbed into the plush bed, and drifted off asleep. Meanwhile, Overdrive sat downstairs, thinking about what could have possibly caused such a nice, innocent mare to be lying out in the cold all day, as Wolfy had been.

Sparky came and climbed up on the couch with Overdrive. “I just don’t get it boy,” Overdrive remarked, “Why would she be out in the cold like that? It just doesn’t make sense.” With that, Overdrive got himself comfortable, laid down on the couch, and drifted off to sleep, deep in thought.

Chapter 4

A loud, metallic noise rang out throughout the house the next morning, roughly at 9 am. Wolfy was sound asleep before the racket awoke her from her slumber. She sprung out of bed, realizing the bed she was in wasn’t hers. As she woke up, the events of the night before began flowing back into her mind, and with it, a soft, peaceful smile crept up on her muzzle. As quiet and cautious as she was for the time being, a sense of warmth, compassion, and happiness overcame her body. She knew there was something different about the stallion who had welcomed into his home, but she was unsure of what it was.

That moment, Overdrive trotted in from his workshop, covered in filth from his morning’s work. “Good morning, Wolfy. Did you sleep well?” He thought for a minute, looked down at himself, and spoke, “I’m sorry if I woke you up, I have a lot of work to get done.”

She quietly nodded, and then replied, “No, you didn’t wake me. I was getting out of bed when you came up. I really appreciate you letting me stay here last night.”

After dusting himself off, Overdrive came and sat down next to her on the bed. “You are more than welcome. Can I get you anything before I get back to work?”

She thought about it for a second, and then shyly replied, “No thank you. I think I can manage it. You should get back to work anyway, Overdrive.” Wolfy then stretched, trotted into the bathroom, and began running bath water.

“Well, if you need anything,” Overdrive mentioned, “Just tell me, and I’ll get it for you, ok?”

Wolfy replied, “OK,” and sank into her bath water as Overdrive returned to his workshop to continue working.

As Wolfy bathed, she began thinking about her life, and where it had led her. She thought about where she had come from. She then began thinking about Overdrive, and how the stallion was more than gracious enough to allow her to stay in his home. Wolfy didn’t want to believe it was real. She thought there was a catch to it, thinking it was too good to be true.

She started washing out her mane, and as the water flowed down, over her head, it began washing away her pain. The thought of finding a stallion like Overdrive sounded too good to be true, but as time went on, even in the bath tub, the notion that it was all just a hoax washed away with the pain and the true inner beauty of Wolf Tracks began to show. She was becoming her old self again, and was beginning to forget about the past, and move towards the future.

Meanwhile, Overdrive was busily working away, building an inventory of furnaces, stoves and heaters for emergencies that could arise in the winter. His units were simple in structure and design, and as a result, were easy to work with, easy to install, and easy to use. He did this in his downtime, because he never had anything better to do, and often, depending on the weather, it was better to just replace a heating unit rather than repair one.

As he finished up one unit, and moved on to another, he started thinking about the night before as well. He didn’t understand why a mare would be lying alone, buried in the snow. What he did understand, is that she was brought into his life for one reason for another, and he wanted to figure out what that reason is.

“There’s no way…,” he whispered, recalling the line he quipped the other day. “No, that can’t be right… …not this close to Hearth’s Warming Eve…” For now, he shrugged the idea off, and continued about his day, but it still lingered throughout the day.

As the hours drew on, and Overdrive finished up his day, he entered his home, to see a sight that touched his heart. Wolfy found his adorable pup, Sparky, and the two were playing together in the living room as he came into the living room. Overdrive quietly slipped passed the two, with neither Wolfy nor Sparky noticing. He thought, ‘Look at how adorable they are. Aww…,’ but as he took one step up the stairs, the floor creaked, and the two immediately turned their heads to see what was going on.

Wolfy sprang up first, running over to Overdrive, tackling him, and hugging the stuffing out of him like a stuffed animal. “You’re back, I’ve missed you,” she exclaimed.

Confused at first, he eventually came around, and hugged Wolfy back. “I’ve been here all day, Wolfy. I’ve just been working. This time of year, I’m really busy.” He thought for a second, then said, “I’ve noticed you’ve opened up quite a bit.”

“Well,” Wolfy replied, “It’s kinda comfortable here. I like it here. I like… you.”

Overdrive took a step back, thinking about what she just said. “Uh, what was that,” he asked back, thinking his mind was playing games with him.

“I – like – you,” she said, bopping his nose. “You’re cute.”

Overdrive heard Wolfy say that, and then immediately hit the floor, fainting from the phrase Wolfy just uttered. He came back to a few seconds later, and questioned, “But, I don’t understand. What do you mean by that?”

Wolfy replied, “I like you, OK? I like, really like you. There’s something about you that’s different than other stallions I’ve seen.”

Intrigued by this, Overdrive responded, “I’m not really sure what’s different about me, other than my appearance.”

She answered, “Because you are you. You were nice enough to let me into your home, and even then, you did more than you had to. No one has ever done anything like that for me before.” Overdrive sat there, speechless. Wolfy continued, “Maybe this will answer your question…” She grabbed Overdrive, firmly hugged him, and whispered in his ear, “I love you,” before giving him a quick peck on the cheek.

Overdrive sat there, taking it all in, speechless. His only response, was hugging Wolfy tighter, whispering, “I love you too,” in her ear, and giving her a quick peck on the cheek as well.

Chapter 5

The next day, Overdrive took off from work, mainly because it happened to be the weekend, but also because he wanted to get to know Wolfy better. He decided it would be fun to go ice skating, and spend some time in the frigid, yet beautiful winter wonderland that had been set upon them.

He pulled an old toboggan out from the garage, and stuck it outside. From there, he packed an assortment of items, including snowpony-making materials, ice skates, a small picnic basket, and boots. He awaited for Wolfy to awaken from her slumber, to surprise her with the day of fun he had planned.

Overdrive didn’t have to wait long. Soon, she slipped downstairs, well-rested and angelic as always. He greeted her, “Good morning, Wolfy. Sleep well?” She nodded, as she trotted over and hugged Overdrive good morning. “I have a fun day planned for us. Are you up for it?”

“Depends,” Wolfy answered, “What did you have planned?”

Overdrive smiled, replying, “I was thinking ice skating, maybe build a snowpony, and just some good ol’ fashioned fun in the snow. What do you say?”

Wolfy smiled, “Sure. Let’s go have some fun.” With that, she grabbed her scarf, Overdrive put his ear muffs on, and waited for Sparky to join them. Once the pup had scampered outside, Overdrive locked the door, grabbed the toboggan rope, and they walked towards the frozen lake.

Once there, it was apparent they weren’t the only ones there to skate that day. Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom were on the ice, trying to earn their cutie marks in team figure skating. Rarity was skating with Spike, although he was the one doing the “following,” so to speak. Pinkie Pie, for one odd reason or another, was ice fishing, as Fluttershy looked on in horror at even the thought of Pinkie Pie harming her fish, and many others were just skating normally, enjoying their time.

At first, Sparky provided a quick laugh. Watching the pup try and keep his bearings on ice became quickly comical, but once he realized the ask was insurmountable, gave up and instead began burrowing in the snow.

Overdrive and Wolfie fitted their skates, and took off, gliding over the ice weightlessly and gracefully. Every now and then, one of them would lose their balance, as to be expected, and every time, the other would be right there to pick them back up, and continue on their way. Seconds turned into minutes, and minutes turned into hours. They had spent the entire day skating, but enjoyed the time like they had never before. By the time they left the ice, the sunlight grew dim, and the snow began to slowly fall.

Knowing that was the sign to call it quits, they both departed the icy surface, and decided to take to the hills for a few passes before the sun set. Finding the only untouched hill left alone by the colts and fillies, they rode down the hill several times, throwing caution to the wind, as well as fresh snow. They felt as if they were years younger, and all innocence had been once bestowed upon them again. It would be an understatement to say that they were having the time of their lives, all the while cementing the simple notions that occupied their minds.

Overdrive and Wolfy decided one last pass, before the sun finally set, would be the right way to cap off the night. Once they departed down the hill, the toboggan began to shake, and veered off course. Before they knew it, they were flying upside down into a snow bank, and each landed with a thud. Overdrive started laughing, realizing how crazy, and how much fun they just had. Wolfy looked puzzled at first, but then started laughing, thinking about what just transpired.

They looked over to each other, and as the snow fell softly, over the deep, star-filled sky, they lunged towards each other, snuggling against one another. Before long, their eyes met, and their mouths inched closer and closer together. Before they knew it, they were kissing each other, only this time, it wasn’t an innocent peck on the cheek. Overdrive and Wolfy felt a connection they had never felt before, and the kiss they shared only solidified it. For a single moment, time froze, the snow stopped dead in its tracks, and an everlasting bond was formed. And all it took, was one kiss, to start it all.

Chapter 6

That single, momentary gesture between Overdrive and Wolfy, made it all too real, all too reassuring, and all too perfect. They both thought before that it was too good to be true, but neither wanted it to end. They’d each often think, ‘Why me, why was I chosen?” But they would each then reflect on how lucky each was to be given the opportunity they had.

For Overdrive, it meant a departure from his typical, busy life. Of course his work always was first and foremost, but it began to take a slight backseat to Wolfy. It almost as if their relationship had evolved from the “big brother, little sister” roles, to what they now cherished with one another, despite how short they had known each other.

For Wolfy, it meant a new beginning for her. It meant escaping the past, and forging a new present and future, for she was given another opportunity to love again. She had another opportunity, to truly be herself. However, she was always worried that her past would catch up with her.

Regardless, they both came to understand that what they shared was genuine, and that it would also take time to develop. For now, everything was taken one step at a time.

Overdrive would wake up early in the morning, quietly slip out of the bedroom, and quickly prepare his breakfast. He would then clean up afterwards, open his workshop, and either await for the next customer, or build his inventory up for the impending winter.

Wolfy would sleep in, and awaken when Sparky would come charging in, licking her face like a lollipop. She would begin to feel it as she awakened, often triggering her ticklish reflexes, and she would shoot up, laughing from the pup’s attention. “Alright Sparky, easy now,” she’d often remark, calming the pooch down, so she could bathe in peace and quiet.

Her time in the tub was often special, as she would use it to contemplate both the prior day’s events, as well as wondering what the next day held. She’d often sing during her time bathing, and her angelic voice would carry throughout the house, to where Overdrive could hear it as he fastidiously worked away. Each time he heard it, it brought a smile to his face, and a warm feeling in his heart.

As Wolfy departed the bathroom, ready to tackle whatever came next, she’d always emerge with a smile, and practically floated down the stairs. Often, she would take a few minutes to prepare lunch for Overdrive. It was typically a simple sandwich, but she knew the simple gesture meant a lot to Overdrive. He appreciated the gesture the same as Wolfy did, and would often polish his sandwich off with a quick kiss on the cheek before returning to work.

Overdrive would finish his day hours after his lunch, close up his shop, and then walk into the house, ready to prepare what he considered the finest of meals for Wolfy. It usually wasn’t much: pasta, breakfast, even the occasional pizza. They weren’t much, but they were always homemade, crafted by hoof and made with much care. They weren’t the finest creations, but it made their days just to spend time with one another, and to share a simple meal.

From there, they would spend their evenings together, usually curled up by the fireplace, sharing stories from their youths, roasting marshmallows, or just cuddling together. The time they spent together was very special, and there wasn’t anything that could change that. Often, Sparky joined in as well, where he would curl up with them, and together they would just enjoy their time. Seconds turned in to minutes, minutes in to hours, and so on and so forth, until they tired themselves out.

By the time they would decide they should hit the hay, the rest of Ponyville was tucking themselves in for the long, cold, winter night. For Overdrive and Wolfy, it meant a long winter night, but together, they were always warm. The fire within their hearts for each other could never be extinguished, no matter what occurred. They would lay in bed, wrapped in each other hooves, cuddling and snuggling with each other until they slowly and quietly drifted off into sleep. A peaceful, loving, and thought-filled sleep.

It was a picture straight out of a story book: 2 ponies, barely aware of each other, coming together due to such an odd circumstance, now head over hooves in love. Some might call it Florence Neightingale Syndrome, others may call it a coincidence, but one thing was for sure: they were in love.

The time of year it coincided with was even odder. It was the unusually early onset of winter, something that didn’t happen too often. It was almost as if the stars perfectly aligned that night, creating the perfect romance for which to build on. Despite the many obstacles and challenges that accompany any romance, it was clear, pure love was at work.

Chapter 7

One morning in particular seemed different than before. The night before, Wolfy laid awake for much of the night, deep in thought. As much as she enjoyed and loved Overdrive, she still had second thought about it all. What she feared was about to come to face: her past was catching up with her.

She was fearful that history would repeat itself once again, and she would wind up in the same exact place Overdrive at first found her. It began to get to her nerves, and she decided it would be best if she left. She woke up early that morning, before the sun had even rose, packed her things quickly, and set off, crying. Wolfy ventured into the cold winter landscape, and left a note behind, explaining everything.

Wolfy didn’t want to leave, but her previous experiences began becoming parallel with her relationship with Overdrive, and she didn’t want to be put in the same position again. She had no idea where she would go next, and would once again be forced to sleep outdoors, homeless again. She found a bench at the park, laid down, and cried herself to sleep.

Overdrive awoke that morning, roughly an hour after Wolfy departed, and was shocked to notice she was not in bed. He shot straight out of bed, and began looking around the house, calling out, “Wolfy, where are you sweetheart?” He searched high and low, in and out of every nook, cranny, crawlspace, cupboard and anywhere else she could be, all to no avail.

Taking one last lap around the house, he noticed the letter sitting on the table. He picked it up and read it. It read:

“My dearest Overdrive,

I am sorry, but I must depart. I’m afraid my fears are coming true, and I cannot afford to hurt or disappoint you, nor be hurt myself. It’s not you, it’s me. Please allow me to explain.

I’ve been hurt by many other stallions before. I was once well-traveled, free spirited and crazy when I was younger, and back then, I didn’t know what I was looking for, being innocent and carefree. I used to have relationships with all sorts of different stallions, but they each ended the same. Each time, they ended in heartbreak for me, whether it be deceit, anguish, frustration, or abuse.

I mention this, because our relationship, looked exactly like each and every one I’ve had before, and I didn’t want to go down that same road again. Please understand that I don’t want any hard feelings, but I don’t think this will work out.

Thanks again for being there for me, I really appreciate it.

Yours truly,

Wolf Tracks, XOXO."

Overdrive didn’t know what to think. The tears started flowing down his face, as he pulled out a small, velvet box from the drawer. He slowly opened it, revealing a beautiful diamond ring, encrusted in pure gold. He had bought it a few weeks prior, and was planning to ask her a very important, special question the night of Hearth’s Warming Eve, only two nights from then, but knew now that the ring was going to waste unless he did something about it.

Overdrive decided to brave the cold, go out, find Wolfy, and bring her home, knowing now what had caused her pain. He was determined to erase her pain, he was determined to help her heal, and he was determined to forge a brighter future for her. But first, he had to find where Wolfy went, and he knew it wouldn’t be easy.

Chapter 8

Mother Nature was not kind to Ponyville on that faithful day. The wind howled with ferocious intensity, blowing blustering chills and snow into everypony’s faces. The snow itself formed a blanket over the entire town, limiting visibility to barely beyond one’s muzzle. For all intents and purposes, Overdrive picked one heck of a day to go looking for Wolfy.

He started by going door to door, asking everypony if they had seen Wolfy. Most said they had no idea who she even was. A few mentioned seeing a few white ponies, but none of which fit the description. Pinkie Pie, being Pinkie Pie, ended up interrogating Overdrive in his process to inquire about her whereabouts, but for being a good sport, was rewarded with a free cupcake.

Overdrive asked Rainbow Dash about possibly clearing up the skies so he could search more efficiently, but was given a response of, “Gee, as much as I would like to help, there is no way I can clear these skies myself. The clouds are too heavy to move with all of the snow. I’m sorry, Overdrive.” He simply thanked Rainbow Dash for her time, then continued his search throughout the day.

As night fell, the visibility due to the snow only got worse, and Overdrive decided to call it a day, and would continue his search the next day. As he walked through his front door, he teared up again, worried that he would never see Wolfy again. He went about his evening as usual, but taking a minute every now and then to pray for help in finding Wolfy, and receiving that help as quick as possible.

Wolfy was camped out in a quiet, shallow cave for the night. It wasn’t much, but it kept her out of the frigid winter storm for the time being. She began to think about the choice she made, and ultimately regretted it, but she knew it was the best decision. Wolfy herself began to tear up as she retrieved a picture of Overdrive from her satchel. She missed Overdrive, and wishes she could believe their relationship was different than before, but couldn’t convince herself otherwise.

She didn’t have much to keep her warm for the night, other than a small fire, a thin blanket, and her own fur. She curled up tightly, covering herself with the blanket, and began to sing quietly.

“I gotta take a little time, a little time to think things over…” rang out in the cavern, softly, angelically, and filled of pain. She started to cry as she sang it.

Overdrive sat at his dining room table, crying as well, and began to sing, “I better read between the lines, in case I need it when I’m older…” The tears fell like waterfalls, signaling how hurt he was by all of this.

Back and forth, they sang in unison. She would sing, “Now this mountain I must climb, Feels like a world upon my shoulders…,” and he would call back, “I through the clouds I see love shine, it keeps me warm as life grows colder.” Before long, they were in sync by the time the chorus rolled around, both crooned out, “In my life there’s been heartache and pain, I don’t know if I can face it again, can’t stop now I’ve traveled so far, to change this lonely life…”

Then, they both belted out, “I wanna know what love is, I want you to show me, I wanna feel what love is, I know you can show me…,” before emotion got the best of both of them, as they stopped singing, overcome by the sorrow and sadness that had developed as a result.

Overdrive and Wolfy cried themselves to sleep that night, hoping that this wouldn’t be the end, yet were fearful that it was the last time they would ever meet.

Chapter 9

Overdrive awoke the next morning, determined to find Wolfy that day, knowing it was indeed, Hearth’s Warming Eve. He started his day as usual, by preparing breakfast, reading the paper, and washing up. While cleaning up, he heard knocking from his front door. Curious, he went to answer the door, and a white mare was standing there, but not the one he expected.

“Good morning, Rarity. And how are we on this fine day?” Rarity, always dressed for the occasion, replied, “Absolutely splendid, darling. How are you today?”

Overdrive answered, “I’ve been better, Rarity. Come on in.” Rarity obliged, entering Overdrive’s home. “Well, it isn’t much,” he quipped, “But it is home. How long do you think it will take to have the place decked out entirely for the holiday?”

Rarity paused for a moment, examining how much she would have to do. “Honestly, it shall take a majority of the day, eight hours at most. I’ll do my best to make it look absolutely perfect for your party.”

Overdrive smiled. “I really appreciate you doing this on such short notice. Really, it means a lot to me.”

Rarity then answered, “But of course, dear. After you fixed our stove so quickly and with such care, keeping Sweetie Belle and myself warm for the winter, I knew I had to repay you somehow. Oh, I almost forgot, Sweetie Belle and I shall both be attending your party this evening, if that’s alright?”

He nodded. “Of course it is. Hey, I have to run out and get a last minute uh, thing. Pinkie Pie and Applejack should be along soon to set up the catering and other party stuff. I’ll be back later, OK?”

Rarity obliged, “Of course, darling. I’ll be here when you get back.” Overdrive put on his winter weather gear, waved goodbye, and headed out in search of Wolfy, determined to find her.

Wolfy woke up that morning cold, sore, exhausted, and still hurt from missing Overdrive. She pulled an apple from her satchel, nibbled it, and then began to think once again. Now in denial of her decision, and regretting it as each passing minute went by, she wondered if she would ever see Overdrive again. Deep down inside, she knew it would never happen, for her actions had already spoken for her.

She began to sob, and her crying echoed throughout the cave. Overdrive was walking through the park, when he heard this, and knew immediately it was her. He charged full steam, following the ever-increasing volume of her sorrows, and before long, found where she had been hiding.

As he rounded the corner into the cave, Overdrive caught glimpse of Wolfy, stopped dead in his tracks, and spoke one word. “Wolfy,” he cried out.

Recognizing his voice, Wolfy turned around, staring at the crimson stallion standing a few feet away. She instantaneously rose to her hooves, and ran over to him, grabbing each other with all their might.

“Overdrive,” she spoke, as she started to cry again, “I am so sorry. I never meant to hurt…” At that moment, Overdrive cut her off mid-phrase.

“Shhh, I know you didn’t. I forgive you. It’s OK, I understand now.” Overdrive hugged Wolfy tighter now, and whispered in her ear, “I would never hurt you. I would never want to hurt you.” They sat down, and began to talk.

“You’re just saying that. You probably want nothing to do with me,” Wolfy doubted. “You deserve better than me.”

Overdrive brushed her mane aside. He then comforted her, by saying, “If I didn’t want anything to do with you, then why would I have searched high and low for you? If I didn’t care, why would I be here right now?” He moved closer, whispering in her ear, “Please come home, Wolfy.”

Her tears of sorrow turned into tears of joy, as she turned, hugged the stuffing out of him, and replied, “Yes, I will.” Overdrive helped Wolfy collect her things, and as the two departed the cave, the weather finally managed to break. The snow ceased, the sun shined, and the wind calmed down. All signs leading, to a magical moment.

Chapter 10

As the day went on, Overdrive and Wolfy prepared for the Hearth’s Warming Eve party he had planned for weeks. Rarity’s decorations were all hung, adorning the house with the holiday spirit for days to come. Pinkie Pie and Applejack’s confections were out of this world, ready for consumption by the guests. The tree was lit, the fire was started, the eggnog was flowing, and the ugly sweaters were outright banned.

The guests began to arrive, one by one, in small groups, and even a few with their dates. DJ PON-3 spun the grooves all night, and even shared in some apple bobbing when the occasion arrived. All the guests were enjoying their time, each reminiscing about the past, or wondering in awe what the holidays would bring this year.

There was magic in the air, for it seemed as if it was the only time of the year ponies could set aside their differences, be jovial with one another, and enjoy each other’s company in spirit of the most wonderful time of the year. Dancing, secret gift exchanges, stories by the roaring fire, and even a laugh or two filled the house. All was calm, and all was well that night.

Overdrive was around, tending to his guests, and when he had a minute, would often sing a carol or two, or enjoy a quick snack or glass of eggnog from the numerous choices of food available. Pies, cakes, hors d’oeuvres, vegetable trays, sandwiches and many other tasty options as far as the eye could see. Often, Wolfy would accompany him in checking in on the guests, introducing herself to the townsfolk, and mingling like any socialite would.

The festivities continued into the night, and at the peak of the party, it was decided a group toast and prayer would be conducted. Overdrive gathered everypony’s attention and spoke. “May I have your attention please? Thank you,” he began. “Ladies and gentleponies, I appreciate each and every one of you for coming this evening, and I would cordially like to wish each and every one of you happy holidays, and a happy New Year.”

He continued, “Folks, as we all know, this is a very special time of year, filled with joy, magic, peace and love. This time of year always brings out the best in each and every one of us. It has brought together even the most bitter of enemies in camaraderie and peace. We have the Dear Lord to thank for that, and I would like to say a quick prayer before we continue with our festivities.”

The crowd obliged in agreement, and Overdrive began the prayer. “Dear Lord, we would like to thank you, for the successful, happy, and peaceful year that you have given us. We are thankful for these bountiful gifts you bring us: the feast you’ve presented so that we may not go hungry; the peace and prosperity we have all experienced over the year; the many friends, family, acquaintances and others you have brought into our lives, and kept bonded together through your strength. We are thankful for the friendship, compassion and love you have bestowed upon us for one another.”

Overdrive took a deep breath, and spoke again. “Lord, we ask that you spread this message we relay to you, to all of those that could not be with us this evening, whether those loved ones be missing due to sickness, conflict of schedule, post mortem, bad weather, or whatever else may be keeping them from being with us this evening. Lord, we also ask that you provide us with the same peace, prosperity, health and compassion that you have always given us for the New Year to come. In your name, we pray…”

With that, the guests, in unison, replied, “AMEN!”

Overdrive then spoke again. “Folks, real quick, before we continue with our festivities, I have one very important message to give, to someone very special to me, on this Hearth’s Warming Eve. Wolfy, can you please come here?”

Wolfy obliged, and as the party cleared a path for her to come front and center, her heart began to race. She became nervous, almost anxious, not knowing what to expect, but she continued on, until she was in the center of the room, standing next to Overdrive.

Overdrive then reached for a small, velvet covered box. Seeing the box, and putting two and two together, Wolfy collapsed, placing her hooves over her mouth in shock.

He then spoke, nervously. “Wolfy, you mean the absolute world to me, and nothing could ever change that. You have made me the happiest stallion in all of Equestria, and I’d like to make you the happiest mare in Equestria, but first, you have to answer me one simple question.”

“What is it, sweetheart,” she inquired, although she already knew what it was, and she had her answer ready.

Overdrive popped the question. “Will you… marry me?”

Wolfy started crying, as well as several members of the party, including Rainbow Dash, who couldn’t help but break out in tears over the magical moment that just occurred.

“Yes. Yes, I will,” Wolfy exclaimed, grabbing Overdrive. The two kissed, crying tears of joy, and behind them, the party joined in the celebration, cheering, crying and rejoicing in the Hearth’s Warming Eve miracle that had just taken place.

The fanfare began, hearing congratulations from members of the party at every turn. The magic of the holidays only continued throughout the night, as more guests arrived, puzzled by how they were able to get to the party. The night soldiered on, with glee, fun, a little hijinks, and celebration all around. Ponies of all ages and sizes were having a blast, ready for the holidays to come.

As the night drew to a close, the goodbyes all said, the leftovers distributed to every pony that wanted a share, the gifts given, the cheer and peace felt, and the holidays’ firm grasp taking place, Overdrive and Wolfy retreated to the tranquility of their home, and began the next chapter, of their life together.