Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the Worst City You've Visited and Why?

CC_Maud_Pie

The-Simpsons-Springfield-Oregon.jpg

Just before I moved away from my long stay growing up in OR for eight years my dad wanted to do a bit of traveling with the family- consisting of my bros and I. An entire day we cooked in my dad's 15 at the time semi-odd year old Ford F-150 kinda wearing out too from the numerous accidental deer we've hit. Anyways, it was tiring to get there to say the least and my big bro was just about done at around 3 PM in which we arrived to the fart inspiration of the Simpsons setting.

AUGH- it's just as bad as the cartoon protrays it. It has the stinky power plants (I didn't want to roll down my window just for the sake of avoiding the smell alltogether) and enclosed hills that bask in the pollution. It's like one of those towns that's too big in a depressing way to be a town and too small to be a city. 

The people were... I think I remember some homeless man walking in the middle of the road and blocking our path at one point (barely a minute into the town)- we also met with some traffic around that intersection which was ironic considering how lifeless it was.

If your a fan of Oregon's wilderness and of the Simpsons show that's okay and all if you wanna visit and such but do keep in mind this is the kind of dump where the biggest tourist attraction would be just of its name, or just to be met with its implied second welcome sign:

094.JPG

Edited by Hope

I have yet to visit a city that I hate, however the worst one I've been too is Sydney. It's hyped out to be a place you must visit in your life time however there's nothing to do there you can't do at any other tourist destination. Also the opera house was disapointing.

It's called smog BTW. It's not good for the air.Just curious, we're you in Compton? I've heard many bad things about it.

I'm not entirely sure what part of L.A. it was.

I was going cross-country on a Greyhound bus, and had a five hour layover in L.A., so I decided to wander around for a few hours.

I don't really have a worst city I have visited. I would say I'm not a fan of cities in general. They're fun to visit but I would not want to live in them. A much higher crime rate, poor people asking for crap off the streets even if they aren't even poor, and loud traffic. I prefer suburbs. 

Chicago. Or, more specifically, the wrong parts of it. As long as you stay in a certain area, it's OK. But the moment you go outside of that area... just don't. I recall when I went there, we left the safe area and immediately saw boarded-up windows, what appeared to be several shotguns, and absolutely no police presence. It also somehow got significantly darker, and lightened up again once we turned around.    Moral of the story: stay out of the edge of Chicago.
Oh, you must of went to South Side Chicago. Yeah stay away from there. It's probably Chicago's equivalent of a ghetto.  

Camden, NJ, the city that was ranked the most dangerous city in America three times in the past ten years. Never walk around that city by yourself. Or go out at night.

Now, the city does have redeeming values. I love the aquarium there, and visiting the Battleship New Jersey is fun. But it's going to be a long time before the city recovers from all of the violence that's taken place there. My mom collects food donations and brings them to a soup kitchen in the city every week, and my sister works at a homeless shelter there, so I know that there are plenty of good people who live there. They're just stuck in a very bad situation.

Austin. There is nothing of interest there, the architecture is drab as hell, and there's tons of crime at night.

Austin, Texas? It's not really a place for sightseeing or tourism, but it's a fun place to be with some friends (although I rarely hang out with with friends, so I wouldn't know much ). Isn't there always crime at night anywhere :smug:?

But I really hate the infrastructure here >_>. What do you mean by the architecture?

Austin, Texas? It's not really a place for sightseeing or tourism, but it's a fun place to be with some friends (although I rarely hang out with with friends, so I wouldn't know much ). Isn't there always crime at night anywhere :smug:?

But I really hate the infrastructure here >_>. What do you mean by the architecture?

i mean building designs, all look pretty broing

i mean building designs, all look pretty broing

Like downtown buildings? Lately our downtown has been booming with new cool skyscrapers, if that's what you mean :P . I'm a very aesthetic person, so I'm pleased to pass down there :P.

Edited by JingleWolf

Like downtown buildings? Lately our downtown has been booming with new cool skyscrapers, if that's what you mean :P . I'm a very aesthetic person, so I'm pleased to pass down there :P.

Ah alright, last time I was there was late 2012 so....

In my State, I would say our city Capital. Its a big city, Not that its all a dump, but there are ghettos everywhere, crime constantly happens, thugs and criminals, drug heads, and SO MUCH RUDE PEOPLE. Everyone there is so rude, especially in stores. I feel like everyone has no manners there. Also, traffic SUCKS. No matter if its morning, lunch time or people getting off work, its crazy and enough to drive you mad. It has so much car crashes there.

Big cities are just chaos for me. I hear New York city is stressful, i know someone who lives there and honestly hates it. I just feel like the atmosphere of big cities are too uncomfortable for me. I almost try to avoid to go to our state's capital. Whenever I hear we are going to be heading there, I just wanna hide. Its chaos....

• 2 months later...

UPDATE! Ever since the last time I replied to my thread. I have new cities/communities I don't like.

- Concord/Pleasant Hill: I attend the community college over there and even though there's a waterpark and a below average mall, the cities are too spread apart. In my case, when I want to kill time up and walk outside campus, everything is too far away in terms of walking distance. Compare it to cites like Berkeley and SF where you can find places to hang out in walking distance to kill time up from college class gaps and so on and even public transit accessible.

- Fremont: There's literally nothing there and it doesn't look nice over there. That's all I have to say.

I'm gonna have to say Camden, NJ.  Easily one of the most dangerous places in America.

tumblr_nii8x599eQ1qljjl1o1_1280.jpg

EDIT:

And yes, I have been there.  I visited the battleship New Jersey BB-62, but you only have to go a block or two before you see this kinda stuff.  I saw open drug markets.  It's unbelievable.

Edited by Pinkie-Guy
  • Brohoof 1

New York is was a mixed bag, though I wasn't staying one of the better parts of town.

Seemed like every nook was packed with trash, and people generally sucked.

The smaller Burroughs had their charm though. Queens actually kind of felt like home.

Love Jersey, if even some places are as described above.

• Brohoof 1

No offense to anyone who likes it. But, I am gonna have to say Newark, NJ. I go there for my dentist, and let me tell you, to me it feels rather dangerous, the part that I'm in at least. It's just that time of town to me, where I'm too afraid to get off the bus.

And I walked back to my hotel a 25- 30 minute walk back to my hotel in a bad part of LA at like 3:00 at night, and didn't feel scared at all.

But, Newark sorta scares me a little bit.

Worse Cities: Detroit,MI

i'm from the great lakes/MI and to at least once to all the major cities and I found Detroit to be

the rudest and such but at the same given what the is facing in job loss/poor and all I can not

blame the people all the time.

• Brohoof 1