Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do Non-Australians think of Australians?

Lisa

I also remember reading somewhere that Australians are like British hillbillies. :huh:

We're actually British criminals.

(or convicts, whatever)

• Brohoof 2

I have a neutral view on Australians. There is likely nothing positive or negative to say about a nation with no significant history with a majority that isn't even native to the land. As for their government? Completely negative. I have nothing more to add on that last point.

True colour it was around the time of the American Revolution that uk prisons were full so they sent convicts over in prison ships to Australia where basically they settled in to either die or live. They sound quite close to a cockney accent (Liverpool) because well most came from there actually.

• Brohoof 1

Well we have a Australian Rugby Team come and train

at the collage I work for,  man those guys can eat....but

they were also super polite and understanding if we fell

a bit behind in the order or messed up and etc.  So would

say nice for the Aussies you guys just have waayyy too many

snakes for my taste!

when I think of them I try not to think of the stereotypes but its kinda hard not to since I know little about them

my personal opinion about them.... their accent is amazing (its my fourth favorite) and I give them kudos for having to put up with climates hotter then where I currently am. and I'm literally in the hottest state in America.

as for their Country its a beautiful place and it would be a shame if I never see it in person in my life time

As a Canadian, I think Aussies (in general) are awesome people and I love their accents also (I have some friends who are from Australia). Canada and Australia even share some similarities as well (the most obvious one being that both are part of the British Commonwealth).

I go crazy over Australia! :D  I love every bit of it ever since I got exposure to their culture, accents, etc when I was a toddler! It's a life-long dream of mine to visit the entire country (not every single bit of it tho (Australia is HUGE in land area!)) sometime in the future. :)

• Brohoof 1

I'm Australian, and the things I love about my country are endless, but I can list my favourite things.

-Aboriginal Dreamtime Stories, Google it

-This:
 NT_sunset.jpg

-The Animals kangaroo-and-joey-1024x682.jpg koala_big_nose.jpg

-The Culture (Aboriginals :P)
 jimmy-walkabout-australian-aborigine1.jp

-The people 

AUSTRALIA

MY HOME

Some Australians are very passionate  about their country, like me.

Edited by Forest
  • Brohoof 3

my dealings with australians include five of them screaming at me in heavy acents over an xbox live party telling how i am a virus that needs to be cleaned beacuse im a brony and then they insiisted that there were no bronys in the "outback"

Well, first off: 

Australians tend to be quite similar to New Zealanders, so there isn't much of a culture difference. Like most Kiwi's I consider Australians like brothers/sisters, and hang around a lot online considering most players, and basically all the servers are Australian.  :yay:

I'm not a fan of the accent, but I've reached a point where I don't tend to notice it so much unless I listen for that very purpose. That being said, I do notice very strong ones. 

I enjoy the competitive nature of Aussies against Kiwis, such as in rugby and the playful banter is fun too. Australians and New Zealand's are like siblings really, and the relationship is really nice to have such as with the formation of the ANZAC's. I have Australian family members too, so.  :squee:  

All in all, I really like Aussies and are glad we have such a good relationship with our friends across the ditch! :) 

• Brohoof 2

ah yes, us Australians. 

we give the world Mad Max, but ban anything remotely violent XD

theres so much to love in this 'you beaut' island of Oz, food (in all my life never had that 'shrimp on the barbie' stereotype. even then, we call Shrimp "Prawns"), nature (yes, the vast majority of it can kill you) and culture 

...and no we don't saddle up kangaroos and ride them :P

Edited by ParsoOfEquestria
  • Brohoof 1

I have both British and Australian citizenship, so I'm not really non-Australian, but I've lived in the UK for almost 20 years, which I think is enough time to give a perspective from the outside.

Although Australia is full of deadly animals that will kill you as soon as look at you, the vast majority of Australians live in a handful of cities around the coast, so with the exception of a few spiders, will never encounter any of these deadly creatures unless they go to the zoo. (In Sydney pretty much the only animals you need to worry about are red back spiders and funnelwebs.)

Australian politics has shifted worryingly to the right wing in the last 20 years. I left the country towards the end of a thirteen year stretch of Labor government (Hawke then Keating). Since then Australia has been dominated by the Liberal-National coalition, and even the Labor governments which have followed John Howard have been noticeably more right-wing than previous Labor governments. Examples are the regressive approach to labour laws (WorkChoices), gay rights (conflicts between ACT govt and federal govt over same-sex marriage), aboriginal relations (the 10 point plan), and immigration (mandatory detention). The combination of the last two of those is something I find especially hypocritical given that all Australians are either descended from aboriginies or from immigrants.

Also, what is up with the Australian Labor Party's spelling? For those who don't know, "labour" is spelt with a "u" in Australian English, but for some reason the ALP has to be different!

For those who think Australia is constantly hot, bear in mind that the distance between the extreme north of Australia and the extreme south is about 3600 km. That's about the same distance as between Scotland and Algeria, or between Mexico City and Lake Winnipeg, or if you'd prefer, between Moscow and the Egypt-Sudan border. I'm sure you can imagine there's scope for a wide variety of weather there. The weather forecast in Darwin today is 32°C and sunny; in Hobart it's 12°C and there's a thunderstorm. Yes, 12°C in summer! This picture was taken just outside Sydney in October (mid-spring):

1413318017237_Image_galleryImage_Snow_in

Yes, that's snow! OK, so it's in the mountains, but the Blue Mountains are not that high. It can't entirely be blamed on altitude!

Edited by Vital Sparkle
  • Brohoof 1

I love the Aussies. I love your accent, your women, Veggie mite ( Yes I'm an Yank that likes the stuff) and Kangaroo steaks are good. Not a fan of the country's gun control but I would love to visit it one day. Made friends with the Australian Army when I was in the Afghanistan

• Brohoof 1

Australians tend to be quite similar to New Zealanders, so there isn't much of a culture difference.

Up until the last minute, New Zealand was poised to be part of Australia when Australia became independent from the UK. (So was Fiji!) And it looked like Western Australia was not going to be part of Australia. At the last minute, New Zealand and Fiji pulled out, each deciding to seek independence in their own right. And Western Australia was persuaded to join in.

Edited by Vital Sparkle

I've always been under the impression that Australians are an energetic, adventurous bunch who are awesome and live life to the fullest.  :)

I think it'd be awesome to visit Australia and meet a bunch of Australian people (funnily enough, I'm Facebook chatting with someone from Australia right now!), but unfortunately I'm broke, and a little frightened by the talk of all the dangerous animals over there. 

But if I had the money, I'd go anyway. Seems like a great place with great people to me.  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

There's a couple of Australian friends I have on here, so I bet most of them are all cool B). I wonder if there are any... "bad living stereotypes" I should look out for if I'm ever in Australia :wacko:.

SEXY ACCENTS OF COURSE

I

I see that you may have met our resident . The second sexiest voice on staff. 

I think that at this point images that come up when thinking of Australians vary from the sexy voice thing, to crazy awesome animals (the ones that don't kill you), to the sound of a didgeridoo playing, and some popular items/places in the States that try and capitalize on Australia. In the 80's there was a huge Aussie fad thing going on that seemed to go on forever. 

As far as me, I do not see Australians differently than any other culture or individual. They have their own group and individual distinctiveness, but in the end the same  motivations that drive us all. I was however disheartened to learn that Drop Bears do not exist. :(

• Brohoof 1