Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do non british think of british people (uk)

Neutral

Based on my experience in the UK (Various cities of England, 3 weeks):

You people are awesome! You are usually caring and punctual. I like your accent. And I tried to like your food, but I couldn't (Fish and Chips is awesome though!).

And yeah, lots of you don't look after your teeth  :lol:

• Brohoof 3

Basically all of the British Isles kick ass in my book. You've got Top Gear, you're pretty much the birthplace of motorsports, your comedy and sense of humor is golden, and your engineers built what i think is the most beautiful and best sounding airplane ever made, the Spitfire.

supermarine_spitfire.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I think of Britain as that place America broke off from ... and wonder if tea is really a big deal over there (a popular thing). Though thinking about it, I think I'v heard they drive tiny cars too, or at least as opposed to what we drive in America. I wonder how many different accents they have ... That teeth thing is true? well I'm not too surprised, after all that seems to be a thing people neglect globally, how many people actually floss or use mouthwash? :P

Their royalty is cool, I think titles are cool, why dont we (America) have titles for people? (knows nothing about the system; but i'd sure like to meet a duke of mattresses who isnt just some salesmen without a self-proclaimed title! :lol: ).

Merely thoughts on British people though, other than a few curiosity I am pretty much totally neutral over them.

• Brohoof 1

The Scots and Irish have awesome accents, although at times quite hard to understand.

Brits have cool accents, generally, not a fan of cockney. :blush:  

I really appreciate the English influence over here, considering we were a colony and all. :) 

• Brohoof 1

I tend to think that the way British people talk is fun to listen to.  :muffins:

To me it sounds a bit more proper compared to how Americans talk, but maybe we're just overly informal.  :blink:

I've known very few British people, so I can't say much, I suppose. But I always thought they were nice people with cool accents that had awesome personalities.  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

I hold both British and Australian citizenships, so I'm kind of an outsider in the UK, but also an insider. I was born in Tokyo, and raised in Sydney, but have lived in various parts of the UK for almost 20 years, and if you spoke to me you wouldn't detect even a trace of an Australian accent. I tend to support Australia in sports events, if only to be a contrarian when surrounded by Brits. (Though I don't really watch any sports events anyway... shock! Don't let the Australian embassy hear about that - they might revoke my citizenship!)

Anyway, whether you consider me a fraud for replying to a thread for non-British people or not, I'll say what I have to say.

Also don't forget Top Gear The US version of that show SUCKS

All versions of that show suck.

Never heard of not taking care of your teeth.

Dentistry is pretty much the only aspect of health which has been neglected by the NHS. Back in the 1940s when the NHS was formed, dentists held out and remained independent. There is some NHS funding for dentistry (e.g. for children), but not a lot.

British people do take perfectly good care of their oral hygiene, brushing their teeth, etc. But cosmetic treatments such as braces are seen as an expensive luxury by most people. So we don't have artificially straight teeth.

If they're any indication, i'd say British people seem oddly liberal, politically speaking.

Most of the rest of Europe considers the UK to be incredibly right wing in comparison.

They invented tea but an errant experiment in time travel sent the discovery to the Chinese.

Very true.

Doctor Who was invented by the concept of Britain itself and is secretly the ruler of Britain for all eternity.

This and the tea. You think that's a coincidence?

Well without the British, Australia would probably French, Dutch or Asian by now. 

My guess would be Dutch. Look at what happened in South-East Asia. The Dutch were really into empire building back then. The French got into the idea a little later. Plus Dampier had visited Australia twice before Cook had even been born.

I have heard that the food is a little lacking.

This is a cliche that dates from post-war rationing.

Of the world's ten best restaurants (according to Restaurant magazine), two are in the UK. (There are two in the USA, three in Spain, and one each in Brazil, Denmark, and Italy. None in France? Quelle surprise! They eat snails - what do you expect?) Two of the world's top 10 celebrity chefs (judging by net worth, and by Google searches done for their names) are British. (Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay if you were wondering.)

British food is not fancy, but it is very good. It is characterised by simple, unfussy cooking techniques applied to quality, locally produced ingredients. Britain has also adopted various ingredients and cooking styles from its empire building days, and made them their own. (Chicken tikka masala is arguably Britain's national dish.)

The American revolution wasn't over "taxation without representation".  That was just the excuse.  It was really because they would rather die than have to watch Cricket.

George Washington was actually very keen on cricket. There is anecdotal evidence that he took part in games with the troops during the American revolution!

The first ever international cricket event was a game played between the USA and Canada in 1844.

Though the most hilarious international cricket event was England versus France in the 1900 Olympics. None of the other countries even sent a cricket team to the Olympics, and the French team was mostly composed of British ex-pats.

your engineers built what i think is the most beautiful and best sounding airplane ever made, the Spitfire.

So awesome that it even has a pony named after it.

Edited by Vital Sparkle
  • Brohoof 5

You've been selling sand to the Arabic countries.

You've been selling fridges and tech connected with them to Greenland.

I've heard rumors they're trying to get in touch with Satan to sell him furnaces and incinerators.

British are as weird and awesome as any other country, in short :P

... but Led Zeppelin does deserve a mention, as someone said here.

• Brohoof 2

XD Don't move the U.S., then. It's much, much worse here.

AND I FORGOT 2 INPORTANT THINGS!!!

top-gear.jpeg

TOP GEAR!!!!!!!!!

Besides, there's the Supermarine Spitfire, the most amazing plane of World War II

Supermarine_Spitfire_F_Mk_XIIs_of_41_Sqn

Edited by TheAnonBrony
  • Brohoof 3

Yes Britian is nice but the housing sucks. It's all cramped together but you can thank the industrial revolution for that.

Oh and don't forget we have the hawker hurricane and the avro Vulcan.

Politically I feel you're all far too "left", and I'll never forgive you for sending us that Piers Morgan idiot. Where did you find that guy?! Your crown and laws are too similar to Orwell's "1984", and your country is responsible for numerous crimes that they seem to conveniently forget when lambasting America for her crimes.

That was the bad news. The good news is that, with what experience I have, you're all extremely funny with stellar senses of humor, and your streets and architecture are RICH with culture and history. You're alright in my book.

(Just don't send Piers Morgan back. We don't want him. I'm trying to convince the Canucks to take Justin Bieber back too but they're not having it.)

• Brohoof 2

Politically I feel you're all far too "left", and I'll never forgive you for sending us that Piers Morgan idiot. Where did you find that guy?! Your crown and laws are too similar to Orwell's "1984", and your country is responsible for numerous crimes that they seem to conveniently forget when lambasting America for her crimes.

That was the bad news. The good news is that, with what experience I have, you're all extremely funny with stellar senses of humor, and your streets and architecture are RICH with culture and history. You're alright in my book.

(Just don't send Piers Morgan back. We don't want him. I'm trying to convince the Canucks to take Justin Bieber back too but they're not having it.)

I apologise for Piers Morgan on behalf of my country.

• Brohoof 1

Politically I feel you're all far too "left", and I'll never forgive you for sending us that Piers Morgan idiot.

Dude, Piers Morgan is a megadumbass in the disguise of a dumbass. That means I agree with you.

Your crown and laws are too similar to Orwell's "1984", and your country is responsible for numerous crimes that they seem to conveniently forget when lambasting America for her crimes.

Technically, England is now a representative republic, of a sort. The crown wields little to no power. In fact, it's not a whole lot more than a trading card, now, used for international trade deals.

YOU HAVE CONVINCED ME OF YOUR RATIONALITY!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

That doesn't happen very often, by the way.

Edited by TheAnonBrony
  • Brohoof 1

For me, the question is extremely vague. 

What do I think of people from the UK? Well, as a general principle I don't like/dislike them for being from the UK. If someone from the UK is nice, then I like them. If not, then I don't like them. Same thing goes for my fellow Americans - or anyone else in the world for that matter, 

• Brohoof 1

I'll say the same thing I did on pretty much every other "what do people outside of X think of X?" I find it presumptuous to form an opinion on an entire nation of people around a single or even a few commonalities. Especially when one hasn't interacted with said group to a meaningful extent.

One of my best friends I met on this site is British. He's pretty much the only example I have with anyone from the U.K. so it's more a measure of him than of the entire nation that I think he's an intelligent, compassionate, and loyal man.

However, if I were to base my ideas off of your media, and being a writer that makes sense. I would say you are a people of immortality. Your heroes endure through generations and cultures rather than become dated. Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, the Doctor being prime examples. The same character remaining consistent as the world changes around them. Charles Dickens and William Shakespeare's works have both been retold as basically the same tales no matter the window dressing.

I would say the English are a people of stalwart endurance. (Again, from your media. I don't want to make any notions of an entire country.) 

• Brohoof 1