Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP:FiM Conspiracy Theory: Are the adventures set up by Celestia?

Plato's Pony

Maybe Celestia wants Twilight dead, cause she has more powerful magic, and has all the necessary to replace her as ruler of Equestria.

(You never know, Twilight is a Princess, has her own castle and realm of friendship, maybe some day she becomes ambitious and banishes Luna and Celestia to the moon, so she can keep all Equestria for herself, then the other mane 6 must stop her using... idk something that has to do with pink, rainbow and the word friendship, then after Twilight is gone the show will end) 

I have said it before, Fluttershy's behavior in Episode 2 is so VERY out of character, I wonder if she was being mind controlled.  Compare it w Dragonshy or Luna Eclipsed.  1st place, she agrees to perform in public? (Compare w season 4).  Then, the scariest monster in EQ shows up, attacks, appears to kidnap the most powerful wizard in EQ & her response isn't to wet herself, dive under her bed & die from fright.  Instead, she VOLUNTARILY goes after the monster.  Nobody even asks, she just goes into the scariest woods in EQ.  Repeated attacks by scary monsters & no freaking out, no whining even.  And none of her friends even questions this?

That being said, I don't think Celestia is doing this for evil purposes.  I think she is testing Twilight & helping her grow into her full power because T is being groomed as potential replacement.  (or at least, back up for Luna as heir)

I have said it before, Fluttershy's behavior in Episode 2 is so VERY out of character, I wonder if she was being mind controlled.  Compare it w Dragonshy or Luna Eclipsed.  1st place, she agrees to perform in public? (Compare w season 4).  Then, the scariest monster in EQ shows up, attacks, appears to kidnap the most powerful wizard in EQ & her response isn't to wet herself, dive under her bed & die from fright.  Instead, she VOLUNTARILY goes after the monster.  Nobody even asks, she just goes into the scariest woods in EQ.  Repeated attacks by scary monsters & no freaking out, no whining even.  And none of her friends even questions this?

That being said, I don't think Celestia is doing this for evil purposes.  I think she is testing Twilight & helping her grow into her full power because T is being groomed as potential replacement.  (or at least, back up for Luna as heir)

But what I don't get is why all of Twilight's adventures ultimately start out with Celestia, or Celestia's "mistakes".  If Celestia had heeded Twilight's warning of NIghtmare Moon's return, most likely, none of that would have happened and the Mane Six wouldn't have found the Elements of Harmony, which are a huge part of the series.  In a way, the whole series exists just because Celestia didn't heed Twilight's warning.  If she had not found the Elements of Harmony, she would just be hanging out with her friends, being a normal pony and not a princess living in a castle in Ponyville.

Like I said.  Celestia did it on purpose.  She is using these crises to force T to extend herself, to learn & grow.  She WANTS T to be a princess w a castle (maybe she even needs this?  C is slowing down & a responsible ruler would provide another protector for her subjects).  This is a little rough on T, but The Needs Of The Many Outweigh The Needs Of The Few

It just seems like the writers left so many unanswered questions, they must've done it on purpose.

-Where was Celestia when Nightmare Moon attacked?

-Why did Celestia tell Twilight the story of her sister's banishment to the moon was just a fictional work?

-Why did Nightmare Moon pose those challenges for the Mane Six instead of just alicorn-beaming them to death?

-Where was Luna when Chrysalis attacked?

-Why did Celestia leave Twilight and her friends the job to stop Discord?

-Why did Celestia put the lives of hundreds of crystal ponies in the hand of Twilight?

-Why do Celestia and Luna always have that smug grin on their faces?

-She was on the Sun as Amy Keating Rogers confirmed in an email that upon Nightmare Moon's return, she defeated and banished Celestia to the Sun.

-Because she had another plan in motion where she wanted Twilight to make friends in order to use the Elements of Harmony. It's why she sent her to Ponyville in the first place.

-Major plot induced stupidity. It wouldn't be fun to see Nightmare Moon easily defeating the mane 6 as she should have so they made her act stupid for the sake of it. 

-Sleeping on the moon or away. Apparently Luna needs to rest during the day or something like that. Would like to know why she likes to sleep away from Canterlot however.

-Because the Elements of Harmony was really the only thing that could defeat him and being the Elements of Harmony bearers, they were really the only chance they had at defeating him.

-Because she wanted Twilight pass this test to become an Alicorn really badly. Yea I didn't like of how they treated the crystal ponies as a means to an end in the episode too.

-Interpretation more than anything as I don't see any intentional malice from either of them.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight vs.Nightmare Moon

Celestia certainly knew the truth that Nightmare Moon would be returning, and rather than telling Twilight outright how she needed to be defeated, instead manipulated Twilight into a situation where she'd make friends with the very ponies necessary to ensure Nightmare Moon's defeat. But if she had simply told Twilight to go to Ponyville and make friends with those ponies in order to defeat Nightmare Moon, then perhaps those friendships would be more forced, less genuine, and not powerful enough to defeat her. That's my theory anyway.

Celestia may have been anticipating Nightmare Moon's return for centuries, figured out who would be needed to beat her, and then manipulated the mane 6's lives (and their ancestors lives) to ensure that by the time the 1000 years anniversary of her banishment arrived, all of the right ponies would "coincidentally" be in Ponyville.

And why was Celestia was absent? Nightmare Moon never actually says that she's kidnapped her, though that's the most obvious explanation. An alternative theory is that banishing her sister had been so heartbreaking for Celestia, that she could not bear to be around when she knew that Nightmare Moon would have to be dealt with for a second time.

Return of Discord

Celestia does explain that her connection with the Elements of Harmony has become weak. This seems like a reasonable explanation for why it would ultimately be up to Twilight and friends to handle things, however it does seem to be like she ought to have at least helped out a bit.

3.  Canterlot Wedding -Twilight and friends do all the work, again

Actually Cadence and Shining Armor are the real heroes of the story. Twilight and friends tried but failed. (Though Twilight was of course instrumental in freeing Cadence from her imprisonment.)

The Crystal Empire -Even Luna is like, "WTF?" when Celestia sends Twilight on the mission

It is heavily implied that although Celestia has not created the situation, she has assigned the task of dealing with it to Twilight as a test. Once you've seen the season finale, you understand what Twilight was being tested for.

Luna seems on board with the idea overall, but worried that dealing with Sombra might be too much for Twilight to be expected to handle alone, and offers to go along too. Celestia has more confidence in Twilight's abilities.

Battle with the Spiky Vine Things -Celestia and Luna are captured by spiky plant vine things, like, come on

The spiky vine things were specifically planted by Discord to capture Celestia and Luna. They just took longer than he had expected. Discord is pretty powerful. (Implied to be more powerful than any of the ponies, though not as powerful as the Elements of Harmony, and presumably nowhere near as powerful as that rainbow power stuff they used at the end of season 4.) It's not unbelievable that vines created by him could pose a genuine threat to the princesses.

The vines wouldn't have targeted Cadence and Twilight because they hadn't even been born when he planted the seeds.

Twilight vs. Tirek   -Cerberus just leaves his post without informing the princesses beforehand, like, WTF?

Actually that happened way back in season 2. It was in It's About Time. That was when Tirek escaped, unnoticed. It just took him some time to regain enough power to become trouble.

-All 3 princesses give all their power to Twilight claiming that it would make Tirek's job harder -Wouldn't it be harder if Tirek had to suck the power from 4 different alicorns rather than just 1 alicorn? A little lack of common sense from the princesses if you ask me

Nope, that's not why they gave her their power. They gave her their power because Tirek did not know of Twilight's existence. She might have been able to avoid Tirek's notice, and safeguard the power until such a time when he showed a vulnerability. However Discord went and ruined that plan by telling Discord that there was a fourth alicorn princess, and giving him directions to her house.

Overall, I'd say that Celestia does not cause these problems, but does tend to delegate solving them to Twilight for various reasons. Sometimes because Twilight is better suited for the role (Discord, Tirek), sometimes as a test for Twilight (King Sombra), and sometimes because Celestia has already tried herself but failed (Queen Chrysalis).

Also, remember that Celestia is trying to help Twilight grow into the powerful princess she has always been destined to be. (The Tree of Harmony had Twilight's cutie mark engraved on its trunk thousands of years before Twilight was even born!) If Celestia just went around blasting away the villains with her alicorn lasers, then that wouldn't help Twilight's development very much, would it?

Edited by Vital Sparkle
  • Brohoof 2

Lol, I'm reading these responses and now I think I should refresh my memory of the entire series.  I haven't watched most episodes in months.  Anyway, these are really good explanations from all you guys, but still, it seems like Celestia is making Twilight do everything so she can have a reason for being made princess.

• Brohoof 1

It's fine to reimagine the show I guess, but what you're pointing out is the show bad writing and all. Plot holes and writing devices are the bread and butter of the adventure style episodes and are generally enjoyed. If the writers could have done better they would have in the first place. What Celestia did is no different than Obi-wan and Yoda setting up Luke to kill Vader. They knew the what, but not the how and Luke, like Twilight, ended up putting their own spin on their heroes quest.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

It would be really interesting if something like this happens: http://mlpforums.com/topic/116908-war-of-the-princesses/

Although, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't want Celestia start acting like an asshole.  It makes me wanna go into the story itself, grab Celestia, and strangle her.  I would prefer if Celestia stayed with her kind, motherly nature.

• Brohoof 1

My favorite theory I heard long ago was the the Nightmare moon prophecy was actually not about Nightmare moon.

img-3345076-1-176849__safe_twilight+spar

Oh... oh, that's good. I *like* that. I'm keeping that.

• Brohoof 1