Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Has Andrea Libman ever voiced a male character?

TheMisterManGuy

Andrea Libman, the voice of Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, along with several other roles like Cylindra from Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures and several anime roles is known for her distinctly cute voice. But does anyone recall her voicing a male character before? It would be interesting to see what her doing a young boy voice sounds like.

Edited by TheMisterManGuy

For future reference, BTVA is your friend.http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Andrea-Libman/

However, I do have knowledge of one unlisted male role she did play.

Claude from "Salty's Lighthouse"

Wasn't a particularly good show. >_>

Can't find any clips, but full episodes are up on YouTube.

Ahhh idmb failed me then

Well if that's the case, I'd like to see her voice a male character in the future.

Well apparently according to the above quoted post she did do one uncredited role.

I suppose I should've checked that site too. >.>

Ahhh idmb failed me then

Well apparently according to the above quoted post she did do one uncredited role.

I just looked up Salty's Lighthouse and Andrea's preformance as Claude sounds just like her normal roles. Granted she was voicing a crab so I guess that's no supprise. But still, I'd be interested to see her doing an actual young boy voice sometime.

Edited by TheMisterManGuy
  • Brohoof 2

Yes, she has. A list of the male characters Andrea Libman has played in her life can be found below:

Andrea Libman Male Roles

Mr. Turnip* (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Rocky* (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Sir Lintsalot* (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Coughing Apple Seedling** (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Pupcake (Strawberry Shortcake's Berry Bitty Adventures)

Claude (Salty's Lighthouse)

*These characters are a manifestation of Pinkie Pie's (a female character) imagination, and as such; may not be considered male characters to some viewers. Viewers can also address the point of inanimate objects incapable of having reproductive organs, meaning having a gender would be impossible. However, Pinkie Pie addresses these characters with masculine titles and/or uses masculine voices when voicing them, so they are obviously male in her mind, which may or may not count in some viewers eyes.

**Because of the fact that plants do not have the same reproductive organs as humans, they cannot have a specified gender like humans do. Therefore, some viewers may not count this character. However, plants cannot be female meaning that this is a character who is not female, which may or may not be a factor in determining the eligibility of this character in this thread. If the creator of this thread has any objections to the mentioning of this character, he or she may announce these objections and Blue Moon will remove "Coughing Apple Seedling" from his list: "Andrea Libman Male Roles."

Edited by Blue Moon

Yes, she has. A list of the male characters Andrea Libman has played in her life can be found below:

Andrea Libman Male Roles

Pumpkin Cake (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

*These characters are a manifestation of Pinkie Pie's (a female character) imagination, and as such; may not be considered male characters to some viewers. Viewers can also address the point of inanimate objects incapable of having human organs, meaning having a gender would be impossible. However, Pinkie Pie addresses these characters with masculine titles and/or uses masculine voices when voicing them, so they are obviously male in her mind, which may or may not count in some viewers eyes.

**Because of the fact that plants do not have the same reproductive organs as humans, they cannot have a specified gender like humans do. Therefore, some viewers may not count this character. However, plants cannot be female meaning that this is a character who is not female, which may or may not be a factor in determining the eligibility of this character in this thread. If the creator of this thread has any objections to the mentioning of this character, he or she may announce these objections and Blue Moon will remove "Coughing Apple Seedling" from his list: "Andrea Libman Male Roles."

Fair enough but I think they meant major roles or at least credited and being a young boy. Her style of voice acting could easily pull that off. As well as not being MLP related.
  • Brohoof 1

Andrea Libman Male Roles

Pumpkin Cake (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

*These characters are a manifestation of Pinkie Pie's (a female character) imagination, and as such; may not be considered male characters to some viewers. Viewers can also address the point of inanimate objects incapable of having reproductive organs, meaning having a gender would be impossible. However, Pinkie Pie addresses these characters with masculine titles and/or uses masculine voices when voicing them, so they are obviously male in her mind, which may or may not count in some viewers eyes.

Uh, Pumpkin Cake is a girl. Pound Cake is the boy.

At least I think.

Edited by Redeye
  • Brohoof 1

At least I think.

Hmm, thank you for pointing out. Dang unreliable sources...

On an interested, but unrelated note: Tabitha St. Germain apparently voices Pound Cake.

Ahhh idmb failed me then

It actually wasn't listed on BTVA either because "Salty" did credit its cast, but did not credit them directly for their roles, or because the show was not very well known.

A trained ear and a source on YouTube (via Bronycon) confirmed she did indeed voice that role.

At least I think.

Yes you are indeed correct. http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Pound_Cake_and_Pumpkin_Cake

A simple search should've been in order for that one.

It actually wasn't listed on BTVA either because "Salty" did credit its cast, but did not credit them directly for their roles, or because the show was not very well known.

A trained ear and a source on YouTube (via Bronycon) confirmed she did indeed voice that role.

Ahhhh. Excellent then. Good to find out she was credited directly over it then. Even if the show in question wasn't too good.
  • Brohoof 1

Ahhhh. Excellent then. Good to find out she was credited directly over it then. Even if the show in question wasn't too good.

Here's exactly what I was referencing:

vMPUL4z.png

Some of the names on there should sound very...interesting to say the least.  :wau: << hint hint

Edited by North Wind
  • Brohoof 1

Here's exactly what I was referencing:

img-3344098-1-vMPUL4z.png

Some of the names on there should sound very...interesting to say the least.  :wau: << hint hint

French Tickner. Sounds far too close to tickler. Poor guy almost shares a name with a certain brand of something I can't discuss on the forums. Wait Kathleen Barr too? Paul Dobson? The f---?
  • Brohoof 1

The thing she is best known for is having a very high-pitched voice, which wouldn't necessarily work well for a boy part. I know it's common for women to play young boys, but I'd think they'd want a more mid pitch range woman's voice.

French Tickner. Sounds far too close to tickler. Poor guy almost shares a name with a certain brand of something I can't discuss on the forums. Wait Kathleen Barr too? Paul Dobson? The f---?

Eeyup. Also of note are voice director Terry Klassen, who has the same job on MLP, Janyse Jaud (G3 Pinkie Pie), Scott McNeil (one of the Flim Flam Brothers), and Ian James Corlett, Claire's father.

Kathleen Barr voices Ocho the Octopus with almost the exact same voice she used in the 1998 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer movie, as well as 2001's Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys.

Lenore Zann had a really nice voice that would have fit in perfectly in MLP. Unfortunately, she left full-time voice acting to pursue a career in politics. I'd have loved to have heard her voice at least a couple of supporting characters. Paul Dobson would sound really good in MLP. I don't think he's done it yet.

Eeyup. Also of note are voice director Terry Klassen, who has the same job on MLP, Janyse Jaud (G3 Pinkie Pie), Scott McNeil (one of the Flim Flam Brothers), and Ian James Corlett, Claire's father.

Kathleen Barr voices Ocho the Octopus with almost the exact same voice she used in the 1998 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer movie, as well as 2001's Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys.

Lenore Zann had a really nice voice that would have fit in perfectly in MLP. Unfortunately, she left full-time voice acting to pursue a career in politics. I'd have loved to have heard her voice at least a couple of supporting characters. Paul Dobson would sound really good in MLP. I don't think he's done it yet.

Weird. Was this like a really early role for them?

Weird. Was this like a really early role for them?

I think most of them were active from the 80s, depending on who it is. Vancouver voice talent is generally used on either home-grown Canadian productions or smaller-budget productions from other countries like the US. Works like Salty, Rudolph, and anime dubs fit nicely into that niche.

Most of what I knew about them before MLP came from either Salty's Lighthouse or Krypto the Superdog.

The sheer amount of talent up there is very dense for the price they're offering, which to my best assumption is probably cheaper than what LA voice actors (like Tara Strong, who has spoken of her "geographical challenge" and not meeting the Vancover VAs at brony conventions before) ask for. I have a feeling their stock is going to rise now that MLP was able to demonstrate the range and emotion these actors are capable of.

• Brohoof 2

The thing she is best known for is having a very high-pitched voice, which wouldn't necessarily work well for a boy part. I know it's common for women to play young boys, but I'd think they'd want a more mid pitch range woman's voice.

If Pinkie's conversation with inanimate objects showed anything besides Pinkie's crazy side, its that Andrea is more than capable of doing a deeper voice. 

• Brohoof 1

I think most of them were active from the 80s, depending on who it is. Vancouver voice talent is generally used on either home-grown Canadian productions or smaller-budget productions from other countries like the US. Works like Salty, Rudolph, and anime dubs fit nicely into that niche.

Most of what I knew about them before MLP came from either Salty's Lighthouse or Krypto the Superdog.

The sheer amount of talent up there is very dense for the price they're offering, which to my best assumption is probably cheaper than what LA voice actors (like Tara Strong, who has spoken of her "geographical challenge" and not meeting the Vancover VAs at brony conventions before) ask for. I have a feeling their stock is going to rise now that MLP was able to demonstrate the range and emotion these actors are capable of.

Wait. Who of those did a voice or voices for Krypto the Super Dog? That was my friggin show way back when man.

Hell I'll still watch it if it's on anymore. It ain't half bad.

Wait. Who of those did a voice or voices for Krypto the Super Dog? That was my friggin show way back when man.

Of the MLP cast:

Brian "Mr. Cake" Drummond was Streaky, Tabitha St. Germain was Andrea, Ellen "Mane-iac" Kennedy was Brainy Barker, Nicole Oliver was Kevin's mother (that's right, she banished this kid to his room before she banished Luna to the Moon!), the aforementioned Scott McNeil was Bat Hound, Terry Klassen was Tusky Husky, Trevor "Iron Will" Devall was Hot Dog, Lee "Worst Pony, Great VA" Tockar was Stretch-o-Mutt, "The Great and Powerful" Kathleen Barr was Isis, and Michael "AAAAAAAAAAAAAPPLEOOSA!" Daingerfield cameoed as the Man of Steel himself.

Samuel Vincent of LPS fame was the title character. Both Michael and Brian Dobson voiced in this series as well.

Like MLP, Krypto was recorded at Voicebox Productions and featured Samuel Vincent, Brian Drummond, and I believe Paul Dobson.