Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite games of 2014 ?

NightOwl

The only game from 2014 I've even played is Dark Souls II and I haven't even gotten that far into it. Beaten like two bosses.

Still playing games from several years ago. :P

We're in the same boat, except I should be getting Shadow of Mordor for Christmas, and I've beaten Dark Souls II 3 times  :P

I guess I've reached the point where I'm pretty much satisfied with my current collection of games, and I only buy a new one if it's something new to me, or just really good/interesting.

EDIT: Oh yeah! I almost forgot about The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth! I usually don't care much for reboots of older games, especially this soon after the original came out, but it's just better than the original in every way!

EDIT 2: I also forgot about Super Smash Bros. for 3DS.

Edited by Omega Centauri

We're in the same boat, except I should be getting Shadow of Mordor for Christmas, and I've beaten Dark Souls II 3 times  :P

I guess I've reached the point where I'm pretty much satisfied with my current collection of games, and I only buy a new one if it's something new to me, or just really good/interesting.

EDIT: Oh yeah! I almost forgot about The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth! I usually don't care much for reboots of older games, especially this soon after the original came out, but it's just better than the original in every way!

You're farther than me, then! :lol:

I got to the Lost Bastille and got curbstomped by this swarm of halberdiers that all come out at once. Without pyromancy that group is impossible.

I was a big pyromancy user in Dark Souls. :D

• Brohoof 1

You're farther than me, then! :lol:

I got to the Lost Bastille and got curbstomped by this swarm of halberdiers that all come out at once. Without pyromancy that group is impossible.

I was a big pyromancy user in Dark Souls. :D

I always hated that part. I find it best to take a step into the room where they see you, and run away, that way they'll funnel through the doorway and be less likely to surround you.

Also, sorcery is WAAAY overpowered in that game. There's a spell that catches the attention of most types of enemies nearby (similar to an alluring skull); using that, I can just casually walk past hordes of enemies, and they won't even acknowledge my existence! Oh, and when I got hexes, it was all over.

You're right, though, that game is really hard without using some form of magic, I applaud anyone who can play the game without it.

Civilization V and Assetto Corsa. I've never played any of the older Civilization games so i don't know how the 5th one compares to them, but i've liked it even though i don't play strategy games that much. I think Assetto Corsa is one of the best current racing sims out there and i've enjoyed it, but IMO it's overpriced for the amount of content it has, at least for now. Hopefully that'll get better with future updates.

Edited by ThatFinnMetalhead

Favorite games for me this year would be:

Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Infamous: Second Son.

LittleBigPlanet 3.

Pokemon: Omega Ruby.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5.

Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. 4 (both versions), and Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are at the top of my list. Although they're kind of the only list as they're the only 2014 games I've played (to my recollection) aside from Kingdom Hearts 2.5 which I'm not counting because it's not really a new game.

If Kingdom Hearts isn't really a new game then according to that logic, Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire aren't exactly new games either.

Edited by Light Diamond

If Kingdom Hearts isn't really a new game then according to that logic, Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire aren't exactly new games either.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 is a collection of remastered ports. Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes completely built up from the ground to take advantage of the new mechanics and graphics of Pokemon games today.

I think that KH 2.5 is a great deal, but it's just a collection. Pokemon OR/AS are very much worthy of making my list as their own games.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (for Wii U) and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix (for PS3).

Well, to be fair, I only got a few hours in on Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix,

before I had to go out and get the Greatest Hits version of Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix...

I had no idea what was going on in the opening animation of KH II, and the first part of the Game Story is very confusing!

You see, I've only played the first Kingdom Hearts game, but that was TWELVE YEARS AGO, and I totally forgot who's who and what's what. :derp:

So yeah, I'm playing the HD Version of KH 1 nao, on my PS3. About to get swallowed by a whale.

The Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker game is a lot of fun, too! But I can only play it for up to about an hour or so per day, when my niece has her nap time (and the Wii U is available).

I really should spend my Wii U time practicing on Mario Kart 8 cause my niece (and brother, and mom, and our pet hamster...) keeps whooping me, but that might be a lost cause... :(

Edited by Onion Sing
  • Brohoof 1

TL;DR - Shadow of Mordor hands down GotY. 

2easy

Shadow of Mordor hands down get's this years GotY from me.

This game took elements from other games such as the Batman Arkham fighting mechanic, and the climbing and stealth and assassinating from Assassins Creed and improved upon both extremely. It fixed the Batman game's fighting where you could just spam the same button and win. In SoM there are enemy types that are immune to certain attacks as well as ranged enemies who can be a real issue. It made the combat interesting and have a lot of depth. 

It also put Assassins Creed to SHAME with it's stealth, assassinating, and climbing mechanics. Essentially, Shadow of Mordor is the Assassins Creed everyone should want. Each of the Uruk-hai captains have weaknesses and strengths that you must exploit if you want to beat them. Perhaps they are afraid of the hornet nests. You can shoot one down and send them into a frenzy of fear. Or perhaps a captain HATES the bees and goes berserk when he sees them. You need to account for this too. And trust me when I say there is a lot more to assassinating than just that. You can poison grog barrels and cause the enemy to kill each other. You can shoot down meat to call in wild dog things to distract the Uruk-hai so you can slip in and get a clean kill on your target. Or you could just ride right up to the target and eat them with a giant Graug. It took everything from Assassins Creed and made it 10x better. No doubt.

And now for the games own little addition to the gaming world. The hierarchy system. This is awesome. End of story. I don't even know how to describe how genius this is. You can mind control an Uruk-hai captain and then make them fight higher ranked captains so they can get a chance to become the bodyguard of a General. When they're a bodyguard, they can betray the general and if they succeed they BECOME the general. It's such a fun experience to watch your Captains go from the bottom to the top. And the best part is, you're directly involved with their success. You can help them out in their trials and fights against opposing captains. This makes you feel like you're actually doing something in the world instead of just telling people to do things. 

All-in-all this game is hands down GotY. It took elements from other games and made them 10x better while adding in a new element of gameplay of it's own and making that amazingly fun. It's great. 

The story is also pretty cool.

10/10 game right here. 

GotY

Battlefield 4

That game came out last year, silly.  :P

Anywho, here are mine so far.

• Far cry 4
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Gta V: ps4 version
  • legend of grimrock
  • Civilization: beyond earth
  • five nights at freddy's 2

I find myself glued to Binding of Isaac: Rebirth at the moment, but the biggest game that took me by surprise is Final Fantasy 14. They really turned things around with 2.5 and I'm really digging the new Eternity Bond system (Marriage). I suggest everyone check that out if you're interested in MMORPGs and Final Fantasy.

Time for an update!

1. Forza Horizon 2

2. Wolfenstein: The New Order

3. Dark Souls II

4. Mario Kart 8

5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

6. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

7. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

8. Destiny

9. Bound by Flame

10. Risen 3: Titan Lords

Bravely Default
Hyrule Warriors
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Pokemon Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire
Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U
Fantasy Life
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Shovel Knight
Tomodachi Life

But you know not like Nintendo has any games or anything...