Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Getting new laptop soon.

~SadisticFluttershy~

Howdy everypony!

It's your evil mastermind, SadisticFluttershy!!

Enough of that.. Anyway, I was wondering if I can get yalls opinion on the Alienware 14.

Due to my current laptops HDD Failure, I've decided to get a new laptop, a gaming one this time. I've decided to go with the Alienware 14 and pay $76 bi-weekly.

post-7390-0-18465700-1419002215.jpg

Myself and my Mom are going to go to Rent-A-Center (Anyone American will recognize this place, mostly the south) and grab it on Tuesday, if not the week after.

Here are the specs:

Windows® 8 Intel® Core™ i5-4200M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.1GHz) Intel® HM87 Express Chipset 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M Graphics Hard Drive* 750GB Hard Drive (7200RPM) 8GB Memory AlienFX® Illuminated Keyboard Multi-Touchpad with integrated scrolling & gestures 6-Cell Battery Webcam Resolution: Full HD 2MP Camera with dual digital microphones Bluetooth®

What would you guys think? Yay or Nay?

• Brohoof 2

Howdy everypony!

Enough of that.. Anyway, I was wondering if I can get yalls opinion on the Alienware 14.

Due to my current laptops HDD Failure, I've decided to get a new laptop, a gaming one this time. I've decided to go with the Alienware 14 and pay $76 bi-weekly.

attachicon.gifAlienware 14.jpg

Myself and my Mom are going to go to Rent-A-Center (Anyone American will recognize this place, mostly the south) and grab it on Tuesday, if not the week after.

Here are the specs:

Windows® 8 Intel® Core™ i5-4200M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.1GHz) Intel® HM87 Express Chipset 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M Graphics Hard Drive* 750GB Hard Drive (7200RPM) 8GB Memory AlienFX® Illuminated Keyboard Multi-Touchpad with integrated scrolling & gestures 6-Cell Battery Webcam Resolution: Full HD 2MP Camera with dual digital microphones Bluetooth®

Let me ask, do you need a gaming laptop because you plan on going to places with it consistently? Also a HDD failure? Did you had a backup for your old laptop and can you simply replace the Hard Drive with a new one?

• Brohoof 1

Let me ask, do you need a gaming laptop because you plan on going to places with it consistently? Also a HDD failure? Did you had a backup for your old laptop and can you simply replace the Hard Drive with a new one?

Whenever I go to a friends house, we usually play games. All the time actually, several of my friends have gaming computers. I don't sadly right now. 

My hard drive hasn't totally failed, it just makes my PC run slower. My grandpa has a hard drive, but no windows 7 for me. I don't have a windows 7 disk either.

Most of the stuff I have are music, movies and MLP Images in which have already been moved to my 16 GB Flashdrive.

I've wanted a Gaming PC for years and years, now since i work and make quite a bit of money for 17 years old, I think it's time I treat myself! :)

and this PC is partially my Xmas Present from my mom... sorta.

Edited by ~SadisticFluttershy~
  • Brohoof 1

It's good for what it is. But be warned. If you haven't known about this yet, Dell (they own Alienware) is known to have the worst customer service ever (this guy here explains how and why 

)!

If you'd like, even though this specific laptop of mine here is a bit over-budget for you (there are cheaper models of this kind), I invite you to check out my gaming laptop review of it here 

. :) Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

It's good for what it is. But be warned. If you haven't known about this yet, Dell (they own Alienware) is known to have the worst customer service ever (this guy here explains how and why 

)!

If you'd like, even though this specific laptop of mine here is a bit over-budget for you (there are cheaper models of this kind), I invite you to check out my gaming laptop review of it here 

. :)

O.O That's badass.

But the question is, can I pay by month or bi-weekly for this laptop?

• Brohoof 1

Whenever I go to a friends house, we usually play games. All the time actually, several of my friends have gaming computers. I don't sadly right now. 

My hard drive hasn't totally failed, it just makes my PC run slower. My grandpa has a hard drive, but no windows 7 for me. I don't have a windows 7 disk either.

Most of the stuff I have are music, movies and MLP Images in which have already been moved to my 16 GB Flashdrive.

I've wanted a Gaming PC for years and years, now since i work and make quite a bit of money for 17 years old, I think it's time I treat myself! :)

and this PC is partially my Xmas Present from my mom... sorta.

Alright, I'm saying this is because Gaming Laptops aren't exactly the kind I would recommend for heavy gaming for PC users unless mobility is a necessity.  Give me a moment to review the specs and I'll come back in a bit. 

O.O That's badass.

I know Newegg and amazon have payment plans you can sign up for. I'm currently using them to pay off my desktop.

Also, what you budget is as I'll be comparing that laptop to others online.

Came back and it seems your budget is around 1200$ is that correct?

• Brohoof 1

O.O That's badass.

I can't seem to find any info regarding scheduled payments, but if you are interested in Toshiba's Qosmio gaming laptops, you may have to call their customer service hotline (they are very friendly based on my experience with them), or you could email them or something like that for more information.

Here is the site for Toshiba U.S.'s Qosmio page: http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/qosmio/X70

• Brohoof 1

I can't seem to find any info regarding scheduled payments, but if you are interested in Toshiba's Qosmio gaming laptops, you may have to call their customer service hotline (they are very friendly based on my experience with them), or you could email them or something like that for more information.

Here is the site for Toshiba U.S.'s Qosmio page: http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/qosmio/X70

That Laptop is incredibly sexy.

I love the specs. I know that it beats the Alienware by forever. However, I need a new pc asap bfore my laptop fails completely cause I know it'll fail eventually.

However, I'm not a hard core PC Gamer like some people are. I play older games like: CrossFire, NavyField, Counter Strike etc. Sure I play MW3 here and there, but I play it better on my PS3.

I just need a stable enough PC with a good enough graphics card for 170-220 FPS to play better.

• Brohoof 1

If you can get a payment plan on Amazon, I would recommend this over your choice as it has a better cpu (quad core vs. dual), can overclock better, has a better graphics card, more memory, larger screen, cheaper, and Asus is well known and well liked brand of PC manufacturers and their republic gaming brand is possibly better than alienware.

http://www.amazon.com/GL551JM-DH71-GeForce-GTX860M-Optimus-Technology/dp/B00MMMMMX2%3Fpsc%3D1%26SubscriptionId%3DAKIAI62SSPLIHX7AR6PA%26tag%3Dsnapsort-622-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00MMMMMX2

I love the specs. I know that it beats the Alienware by forever. However, I need a new pc asap bfore my laptop fails completely cause I know it'll fail eventually.

However, I'm not a hard core PC Gamer like some people are. I play older games like: CrossFire, NavyField, Counter Strike etc. Sure I play MW3 here and there, but I play it better on my PS3.

I just need a stable enough PC with a good enough graphics card for 170-220 FPS to play better.

Refurbished, kinda of worried about that unless they have some warranty ensuring it'll be fixed if it goes bad as I'm warry of refurbished computer products after my hd for NAS storage failed

• Brohoof 2

If you can get a payment plan on Amazon, I would recommend this over your choice as it has a better cpu (quad core vs. dual), can overclock better, has a better graphics card, more memory, larger screen, cheaper, and Asus is well known and well liked brand of PC manufacturers and their republic gaming brand is possibly better than alienware.

http://www.amazon.com/GL551JM-DH71-GeForce-GTX860M-Optimus-Technology/dp/B00MMMMMX2%3Fpsc%3D1%26SubscriptionId%3DAKIAI62SSPLIHX7AR6PA%26tag%3Dsnapsort-622-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00MMMMMX2

Refurbished, kinda of worried about that unless they have some warranty ensuring it'll be fixed if it goes bad as I'm warry of refurbished computer products after my hd for NAS storage failed

My stepdad has an Alienware 14 and it runs games such as: Warthunder, World of Tanks, just fine.

He hasn't complained about it.

I have an external monitor and keyboard for it. I know where to put it and stuff like that.

Maybe Later in the future i'll give this a thought. I'm not picky :P

• Brohoof 1

My stepdad has an Alienware 14 and it runs games such as: Warthunder, World of Tanks, just fine.

He hasn't complained about it.

I have an external monitor and keyboard for it. I know where to put it and stuff like that.

Maybe Later in the future i'll give this a thought. I'm not picky :P

I'm not saying Alienware is bad, but considering whose their boss in Dell, people are worried dealing with them while Asus has been fine in customer experience. I've checked the Toshiba one and if you can get a better warranty (still do not trust refurbished without some sort of warranty protection better than 3 months, especially for a laptop), I'd go for Jonny Music's choice as well.

• Brohoof 1

The Toshiba Qosmio ones do have Bluetooth, so you can (with some configuration software (I don't know any easy-to-use ones from the top of my head at the moment)) use a PS3 controller for PC games (I've seen people do it. It is possible). Just like I can with my Wii U Pro Controller (since that also uses Bluetooth). The Xbox 360 controller is great for PC games as well (wired or wireless (with a receiver dongle)).

I'm sure that you'll be able to find one that best suits what you want (and need) from a gaming laptop. :)

I'll echo Nuke in recommending ASUS gaming laptops. They are solidly built and run cool. Can't speak much about their support as I hadn't had to deal with them.

I've had excellent experiences with Dell's business support when working with my Precision and Latitude machines, but their home support is probably as bad as everyone says they are. Phone transfer hell.

My previous experiences with Toshiba laptops in recent years have been poor with regards to build quality, but I will defer judgement to those who currently own them.

• Brohoof 2

I'll echo Nuke in recommending ASUS gaming laptops. They are solidly built and run cool. Can't speak much about their support as I hadn't had to deal with them.

I've had excellent experiences with Dell's business support when working with my Precision and Latitude machines, but their home support is probably as bad as everyone says they are. Phone transfer hell.

My previous experiences with Toshiba laptops in recent years have been poor with regards to build quality, but I will defer judgement to those who currently own them.

I've had good experince with Asus support as they knew what they were doing and are quite fair about their warranties and support for a company.

If that's the case, I'll vouch for your opinion of Toshiba Laptops as mine had two or three burnt out motherboards till the third finally killed it for good. Perhaps the Asus laptop is the better choice.

• Brohoof 1

I'd like to add, if you are considering refurbished, do not buy from anyone other than direct from the manufacturer.

The "refurbishment" process that some of these computers go through amount to not much more than a wipedown, if even that. Minimum one year of warranty, as well.

The only refurbs I buy are from either Apple or Dell. Apple refurbs are more or less new and the Dell ones aren't bad at all of you can grab one cheap with a coupon. They also come minimally with a year warranty that's extendable and I suppose more importantly, have a no questions asked return policy.

Edited by Lunatic Envy
  • Brohoof 1

(I bought mine brand new btw) I've had the motherboard on my laptop fry on me twice (Within the warranty). And the latest motherboard that they (the official Toshiba Support Repair Centre close to me) installed on my Laptop, never passed the CPU temperature limit of 100 degrees C. I'm truly grateful that Toshiba hasn't screwed me over with their customer service (they are actually very friendly and are willing to help your situations (based on my experience alone)).

And plus, the config and specs that my laptop has is perfect for me because of how much storage it has that I need and the CPU and GPU specs as well. Please refer to my laptop review to know why I like it and why I gave its overall rating (it's updated on the description). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id0NG4GJwIM :)

Edited by Jonny Music

(I bought mine brand new btw) I've had the motherboard on my laptop fry on me twice (Within the warranty). And the latest motherboard that they (the official Toshiba Support Repair Centre close to me) installed on my Laptop, never passed the CPU temperature limit of 100 degrees C. I'm truly grateful that Toshiba hasn't screwed me over with their customer service (they are actually very friendly and are willing to help your situations (based on my experience alone)).

And plus, the config and specs that my laptop has is perfect for me because of how much storage it has that I need and the CPU and GPU specs as well. Please refer to my laptop review to know why I like it and why I gave its overall rating (it's updated on the description).

Glad to hear they didn't kick you to the curb like some other horror stories I've heard, but two fried boards?

I doubt I'd buy one again after that, but I suppose the impression they left when they fixed your laptop counted for quite a bit. :)

• Brohoof 2

Glad to hear they didn't kick you to the curb like some other horror stories I've heard, but two fried boards?

I doubt I'd buy one again after that, but I suppose the impression they left when they fixed your laptop counted for quite a bit. :)

I was able to extend the 1 year warranty on it by adding an extra 2 months by registering it. I'm very satisfied with my laptop so far tho, despite the struggles I went through with with the motherboard replacements and such. My Qosmio laptop is the best I could find that suited my needs on the spot.

I got this laptop because of how great the performance of it is in general (especially when photo and video editing). :)

• Brohoof 1

Nevermind ignore this post please thank you very much.

Edited by Nuke87654

Howdy everypony!

attachicon.gifAlienware 14.jpg

Here are the specs:

I'm using the Alienware 15 right now, it's worked perfectly so far. It is a great laptop and runs most of my games very well on it however I paid the full price upfront rather than renting as after about 2 months you've paid the original price for it.