Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone here a "Budget" gamer?

TheMisterManGuy

Since I don't have the money to buy $60 games on launch day, and since many current PS4 and Xbone retail games don't really interest me. I've basicaly been doing most of my gaming from digital titles, used games, and handhelds. That doesn't mean I won't buy a retail PS4 game ever. But the amount of fun, cheap PSN and eShop games available. Plus, the backlog of 7th gen games that probably dirt cheap now. I think I'm content for the time being.
  • Brohoof 4

I still can't believe in America $60 for a game is considered a high price. You should come to Australia, newly released retail games are usually around $120. :P I should buy my games from America if the shipping isn't too expensive.

Anyway, I'm not a budget gamer, though I do understand that not everyone can afford every single new game that comes out. ;p

• Brohoof 2

This is pretty much me. There are very few games that I would buy on launch day or even within the same month as release.

But, when I say I'm a budget gamer, I mean it.

I waited until about a year ago to get a PS3. Most games are $20 or under now, so I can get my fill for a lot cheaper than it would have been.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah this describes me very well actually. I end up waiting a while for most games for their price to lower before I play them. I don't plan on getting a ps4 or one for a good while actually. I have plenty of games I still want to beat on the ps3 and 360 anyways. 

The 3DS is my all time favorite system out as of now. It is affordable and has plenty of amazing games for it and it will not break your bank either. I am always on the go anyways so it suits me well. 

Yes, previously

With a job at hand, I am admittedly unstable at spending my money at the games I want, high priced or not

That's not to say I don't research, I do, even if they are at the $60 price range, if I'm interested, I'm buying if possible

Most of the games I buy nowadays are preowned (I've never really noticed any issues with them :/) or on special offer, and my Wii U and 2DS are also second-hand. The only game I purchased recently as soon as it came out was Super Smash Bros for the 3/2DS, and that was just down to impatience on my part :P

• Brohoof 1

I still can't believe in America $60 for a game is considered a high price. You should come to Australia, newly released retail games are usually around $120. :P I should buy my games from America if the shipping isn't too expensive.

Damn, that sounds rough!  Imo, $60 dollars is extortion.  A movie never costs $60.  You're telling me that LOTR took less money/man hours to make than Skyrim?  They're all optical discs.  Games should be the same price as movies.  Approx. $20 for a new release.

Anyway, the only physical games I buy are basically a few of the great console exclusives.  Games like God of War.  And I always wait until I can get those for no more than $30.  I buy a lot through Steam, and I have a general rule of not touching anything unless it's at least 66% off.  Steam's super sales are so frequent, it's just stupid to pay full price for a new release.  I typically won't buy games unless we're talking single digit prices.  For oldies that aren't on Steam, you've got Good Old Games.  What a great site.  All super cheap, all DRM free.  But one of my favorite ways to get games is Humble Bundle.  Again, DRM free, and you name your own price.  Money goes to charity, and you get great indie games that are often better than big name crap anyway.  I mean, you can pay 1$ and get, like, ten games or something.  And the way it usually works is they just gives you the Steam keys.  And they often do big developer bundles with some serious games as well.  A few years back I picked up the Humble THQ Bundle.  6 bucks and I got Company of Heroes with all its expansions, Metro 2033, Red Faction: Armageddon, Titan Quest, Warhammer Dawn of War, Saint's Row III, and...something else.  I forget.  I mean, all that on Steam for $6.  It really is the most amazing way to buy games.  If you only bought games via Humble Bundle, you could have more games than you could ever play in a lifetime for a couple bucks a month.

• Brohoof 1

I built my PC last March and I haven't upgraded it since. I usually just wait for it to go on the Steam sale. There's one going on now and it's totally magical. Games marked anywhere from 10 to 90% off. :D

I built my PC last March and I haven't upgraded it since. I usually just wait for it to go on the Steam sale. There's one going on now and it's totally magical. Games marked anywhere from 10 to 90% off. :D

It's like those Old Navy holiday commercials. C'mon Esteban! We're going Steam shopping!

• Brohoof 1

It's like those Old Navy holiday commercials. C'mon Esteban! We're going Steam shopping!

Steam sales are srs bsns. 

Seriously though I just got 7 games for like 30 bucks. I shouldn't need any more games til the next Steam sale :lol:

• Brohoof 1

if by budget, you mean "tight bastard" then yes i am.

I very rarely by a game new and will either wait for a second hand copy to crop up or play some much cheaper, older games though psn if i'm short on entertainment

• Brohoof 1

Very much so. Steam sales are a blessing and a curse for that reason. While I won't pay full price for a game at the time of release, I also have trouble not spending a ton of money heavily discounted titles and usually end up spending more than I should. Worse still, half of the games in my Steam library I still haven't played!  :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

@, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does this! lol I won a game in the raffle and I haven't got around to playing it. I still need to beat Borderlands 1 and GTA V because I got about halfway through them and then I treated them like any book I've ever read - neglected to finish it lol I've probably got a handful of other games I still need to beat. :derp:

• Brohoof 1

@, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does this! lol I won a game in the raffle and I haven't got around to playing it. I still need to beat Borderlands 1 and GTA V because I got about halfway through them and then I treated them like any book I've ever read - neglected to finish it lol I've probably got a handful of other games I still need to beat. :derp:

I this this is a problem inherent to PC gaming. We all experience it. xD

Power through as many things as you can before the next sale gets here!

I'm the kind of gamer who has so many games from pc sales that I can't purchase games unless there's some sales atached to it as I want maximze the amount of games I can profit.

*pfft* Not viewing games for their own value*pfft*

*pfft* Only trying to maximise efficiency *pfft*

*scoffs*