Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Flash Sentry and Twilight Sparkle are a good match?

NO_LONGER_AVAILABLE

Absolutely not.

There are many reasons why I hated Equestria Girls, but Brad was high up on the list. I always thought that romance would be something that MLP could handle well, but I seem to have been proven wrong. Soarin and Rainbow I think are a brilliant match because they are similar in personality, but good god Brad and Twilight are different. For starters Twilight never struck me as a mare who would just get crazy over someone with good looks. She would be polite if someone asked her out, but would probably decline unless there was something beyond just thinking that this guys hot. Twilight would need a person who is studious and intelligent like her as well as her friend beforehand, but Brad has none of those qualitys. Not only is he a bland Marty Sue, he also has nothing beyond the good looking boy cliche, and the Twilight we know from FIM would have politely told him no thanks instead of going to the dance with him. Also they have no reason to like each other and never go on a date or even have much interaction, if any at all.

So no, he might be the last person on earth that Twilight should be with. I think a match for Twi hasn't been introduced yet.

Edited by Arctofire
  • Brohoof 7

Flash Sentry has a reputation amongst fans of being boring.

Personally I think that's unfair though. We've not really seen that much of him; we haven't seen him react to many difficult or emotional situations. It's difficult to judge what sort of personality he has, because we've not really seen it.

So I suppose my answer is that they might be a good match, but it's impossible to say based on what we've seen so far.

• Brohoof 5

I say no because he was literally only introduced as a romance element for the movie because they felt like it needed it. 

The whole situation felt forced and unnecessary, because the show is supposed to be about the magic of friendship, and he made it about the magic of friendship...and then this one other guy over here that Twilight fell in 'love' with over the course of what, two days?  However long it was, it wasn't nearly enough.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, no, maybe.

We know nothing about Flash. Nothing. He plays guitar, drives a car, appears to be friendly and caring when not under magical influence, and really likes Twilight, even while knowing she's not entirely human...But other than that, what do we know about him? Nothing. He's mostly a blank slate.

I think it's unfair to call Flash a bad character, because we don't know enough about him. He's only played really a minor role in both EQG movies, and has had very little development. If he was a real person my thoughts on him would be "He seems like a pretty nice guy", and that would be it.

So, does he go well with Twilight? Well...Kinda. He's nice, and he likes her, and that's two good things. But there needs to be more than that, so...it's hard to say. Hopefully he get's some more development in the future.

• Brohoof 4

No.

Here's why: (Contains minor spoilers of EG movies.)

1. He was just used to rush the plot and play guitar for a couple seconds in EG 1

2. He was just used to force Twilight to cry in EG 2

3. His character development hasn't moved since he was introduced within EG 1.

4. I dislike that ship. (If you like it then it is okay. Just please develop his character somewhat before forcing that idea down people's throats.)

5. There needs to be a reason of why and how for it to exist properly.

Edited by RainbowDarth
  • Brohoof 2

Absolutely not! Twilight has dimension and is remembered for her fantastic strengths and flaws. Flash Sentry is both a Gary Stu and walking stereotype with only one purpose: to be Twilight's love interest. Cutting Flash out entirely would've literally changed nothing to both movies.

Each time they talk with each other, there's no chemistry, and they almost always greet each other the same, exact way. The reason Twilight has a crush on him is because she thinks he's hot. That's out of character of Twilight because it goes against her ingrained use of logic. This "match" is completely disrespectful to the show.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

Absolutely not! Twilight has dimension and is remembered for her fantastic strengths and flaws. Flash Sentry is both a Gary Stu and walking stereotype with only one purpose: to be Twilight's love interest. Cutting Flash out entirely would've literally changed nothing to both movies.

Each time they talk with each other, there's no chemistry, and they almost always greet each other the same, exact way. The reason Twilight has a crush on him is because she thinks he's hot. That's out of character of Twilight because it goes against her ingrained use of logic. This "match" is completely disrespectful to the show.

You put it way better than I did xD

• Brohoof 1

So no, he might be the last person on earth that Twilight should be with

Twilight is likely one of those that either does not need a relationship or is incapable of forming one. That is my opinion anyway. The question of whether Flash and Twilight would find interest in each other is very forced and as the opening post says, they are incompatible.

They need to actually give him a personality before im able to decide. He was literally created to just be a love interest, thats the reason for his existence. He seems loke a nice and supportive guy, but i camt really give my take cuz i barely know the dude

• Brohoof 3

Twilight is likely one of those that either does not need a relationship or is incapable of forming one. That is my opinion anyway. The question of whether Flash and Twilight would find interest in each other is very forced and as the opening post says, they are incompatible.

If there's anything my past relationships have taught me, is that people can act completely different with their significant one. It does seem forced and we don't know much about Flash yet, but I'm going to say it's far too soon to say whether they're incompatible or not. But yes, it does look forced.

They need to actually give him a personality before im able to decide. He was literally created to just be a love interest, thats the reason for his existence. He seems loke a nice and supportive guy, but i camt really give my take cuz i barely know the dude

Agreed

• Brohoof 1

Flash Sentry is not even 1/100th as developed as Twilight Sparkle - literally I think, isn't the 100th episode coming this season? - so I'm unsurprised that people find Flash Sentry boring and not a good match, he's not anymore developed than Big Mac... less. Without a ton more exposition and background for him, it's really difficult to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Flash is boring. He has no personalty, no motives and hasn't done anything for the plot in either movies or the main series. So at this moment, no, he and Twilight wouldn't be good match. If they gave him something to do and a personality, then yes, they might be interesting. In fact, I kind of want him to have a personality that is the exact opposite of Twilight's. Why? Because if he does, he'll create an interesting dilemma within Twilight. A guy she likes is her exact opposite, but she does actually enjoy herself when around him. She might learn to loosen up if she has a free spirited kind of flash to mellow her out.

Give him more character development and make him more than just some cute boy for Twilight to faun over, and then we will talk. He could be a good match for Twilight but only if those and perhaps some other parameters are met.

• Brohoof 6

Give him more character development and make him more than just some cute boy for Twilight to faun over, and then we will talk. He could be a good match for Twilight but only if those and perhaps some other parameters are met.

I believe that is agreeable. In truth not only would it be a disservice to Twi, but also to Flash and male characters in general. I want to like Flash as he's more likeable than other characters, but he needs something more to him than just cute looks and a hollow shell.

• Brohoof 2

To be totally honest, I'm not a fan of Equestria Girls in general.  While it was, I admit, not as bad as I thought it would be before I watched it, it was still not good.  Not worth the 1 hour 30 minutes or so I spend watching it, and if I had paid to watch it, it would certainly not have been worth the money.  So I am kind of biased on this point.

But think about it.  As everyone has said, it's clear that he's only in the video so there can be 'romance'.  But Flash isn't even a good romance.  He has almost literally no effect on the story whatsoever, and is practically a separate story from the rest of the show.  We have been shown almost none of his personality, good or bad, and we don't know anything about him. 

It's honestly sad to me that they would write Twilight falling for him in the first place, since it's very out of character for her.  Is Twilight some kind of airhead that sees a cute boy and takes him because...why?  Because he's cute, in this case?  No other reasons behind it?  Twilight would think things through better than that.  But no, in Equestria Girls she does act like that, because (imo) it is a bad movie and a bad representation of the characters of MLP.  Like I said, not quite as bad as I had thought it would be.  There are still some good moments.  But overall, a bad movie.

(PS, the good moments were the first 11 minutes of ponies <3)

• Brohoof 1

Well no, but please hear me out.

They're not good together if they were older, Equestria Girls was a high school movie and thus Twi and Flash are both teenagers so Twi liking Flash is a high school crush, most girls in high school just want the hot guy (not to be shallow xD) so it isn't too absurd if Twilight just suddenly liked Flash, she's just crushing hard like some people tend to do. IF they were adults then no they are not a good couple they aren't similar enough BUT as a high school couple they sort of work as all that matters is that they are cute which tbf they are :)