Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Derpy gets a real name!

Red Cedar

Okay, the article is about a piece of merch rather than the show, but it has pretty big implications ahead of season five and the 100th episode.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/01/derpy-brand-blueberry-muffin-flavored.html

It's not terribly imaginative, all things considered, but it's a huge step up from being referred to by a picture.

They've often called her "Muffins" in other merch before though, and sometimes she's "Equestrian Mailmare" or "Bubbly Mare". I don't think they can ever really decide what to call her. :P

"Muffins" seems to be fairly common with her name and more on the safe side, I really like Ditzy Doo though, it's cuter. :s

I don't really see what it has to do with season five though.  

• Brohoof 1

They haven't called her anything that I can recall. I've only ever seen her referred to on packaging by a picture of a muffin. This is the first time I've seen them actually spell it out.

"Muffins" seems to be fairly common with her name and more on the safe side, I really like Ditzy Doo though, it's cuter. :s

I don't really see what it has to do with season five though.

The 100th episode is sopposed to be focusing largely on backround ponies. I'd imagine that if they're going to try to lay Derpygate to rest once and for all it would be there, and the timing of this product's release seems too coincidental otherwise.

I agree, though, I wish she'd gone back to being Ditzy Do. Now I have to explain to my daughter why they changed her name.

Ditzy Doo? That was a pony that wasn't shown in "Winter Wrap Up" and was said to be out of town at the time.

Yup. The producers had said that if they needed to put a face to the name or a name to the face, our bubble mare was going to be called Ditzy Doo, after the line in Winter Wrap Up. Instead they pandered to the fans and called her Derpy, without knowing what the slang meant, and all Tartarus broke loose.

So, that's probably why she gets a very "safe" name instead.

If you're referring to "Muffins", I'm pretty sure she's been called such on merchandise on multiple occasions. I don't think it has anything to do with season 5, honestly.

100% correct. After TLR aired she had merch with either the name Muffins or an image of a muffin - likely depending on vender printing requirements or limitations. This is nothing ground breaking.

• Brohoof 1

Hm, I'm not sure but I think I've seen it before sometime. I find it a but funny how they call her Derpy when speaking with the fandom but they still put something else on their products to avoit customer trouble :P

• Brohoof 1

Yup. The producers had said that if they needed to put a face to the name or a name to the face, our bubble mare was going to be called Ditzy Doo, after the line in Winter Wrap Up. Instead they pandered to the fans and called her Derpy, without knowing what the slang meant, and all Tartarus broke loose.

So, that's probably why she gets a very "safe" name instead.

I would think that "Ditzy" and "Derpy" have essentially the same meaning. Anyway, the name they choose can't be the best they can do. They probably didn't even try.

• Brohoof 1

Ya know, I've always thought "Bubbles" would be appropriate ;) (it even works on multiple levels). In fact, I think her special talent is washing/cleaning stuff (clothes, dishes, rugs, pets, you name it! :lol: )

Still, it would be nice if the poor thing finally got a name and it stuck.

I'll be honest: I've always like "Ditzy Doo" over "Derpy". Thing is, it's not really much better. Heck, it's even more pointed than "derpy" because it's aimed at dumb females ("What a ditz!").

Also want to get this off my chest while I'm here: I hate the muffin meme. There was an entire CROWD of ponies hankering for muffins in that scene of "Applebuck Season". And most, if not all of them, likely swore off muffins forever...

• Brohoof 1

To me her real name is what the other ponies call her in the show.

Rainbow Dash called her Derpy in The Last Roundup, but not in the new version... So for now she's officially nameless.

You know what I think would be cool? After all the controversy I think they should give her a new name every time she is mentioned on the show, as a joke. It wouldn't have to happen every episode, just once or twice a season. And it could stay very low key and background-y. For example:

Maybe in one episode a group of ponies are working together to build something and Twilight calls out to Derpy: "Muffins, can you fly this wrench up to to Bonbon on the scaffolding please?" Then in a later episode all the townsponies are gathered in the square looking for a runaway flying pig or something and Applejack says: "Calm down, everypony. Now who saw the pig last?" And someone calls out from the crowd: "Bubblicious saw her heading for the Everfree Forest." Then the camera pans over to Derpy pointing toward the edge of town.

She's never going to be a main character so it's not like it will really effect the continuity of the show in a meaningful way, and it would be a nice fan nod. Plus I think it would be funny to hear all the different names they come up with for her.

• Brohoof 4

Interesting. She has been referred to by both Ditzy Doo and Derpy in the show. The fans will always know her as Derpy. I guess that name wouldn't fly as well in the world of children's marketing, so they had to make up a name for her to sell. I'm pretty sure it won't have any impact on the show though.

You know what I think would be cool? After all the controversy I think they should give her a new name every time she is mentioned on the show, as a joke. It wouldn't have to happen every episode, just once or twice a season. And it could stay very low key and background-y. For example:

Maybe in one episode a group of ponies are working together to build something and Twilight calls out to Derpy: "Muffins, can you fly this wrench up to to Bonbon on the scaffolding please?" Then in a later episode all the townsponies are gathered in the square looking for a runaway flying pig or something and Applejack says: "Calm down, everypony. Now who saw the pig last?" And someone calls out from the crowd: "Bubblicious saw her heading for the Everfree Forest." Then the camera pans over to Derpy pointing toward the edge of town.

She's never going to be a main character so it's not like it will really effect the continuity of the show in a meaningful way, and it would be a nice fan nod. Plus I think it would be funny to hear all the different names they come up with for her.

Ya know...that actually sounds kinda fitting and funny! (and good way to stick it to the Man) :lol:

Edited by Jangobadass
  • Brohoof 3

Although I can agree that Derpy is a name I will always remain fond, I can understand why the writers would choose to steer far away from it. A lot of fans won't like to hear it but face it: the name will always be associated with some form of foolishness, stupidity or lack of mental capacity, and subsequent complaints from parents, interest groups and haters.

Even the folks on Know Your Meme define derp as such:

Derp is an expression associated with stupidity, much like the earlier forms of interjections like “duh” and “dur.” In image macros, the subject is typically portrayed with eyes that are pointed to each side and a caption that reads “DERP.” The words “herp” and “derp” are often used in rage comics to replace nondescript names or parts of conversation. See also: Are You a Wizard.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/derp

Also the term derp has strong ties to memes like the Sonic here:

Sonic_derp.jpg

Yea I really think the writers and creators have a strong incentive to distance themselves from that type of image. Besides that outside the MLP:FiM fandom, the word derp brings memes like this to mind.

Derpy can and will live on in the show and in the fandom as a clumsy and silly pony, but its understandable why there's a desire to move past that.

As for Muffins, its not a terrible name, if not for the fact that it was Derpy's 1st original line in the show, but I can live with it. She would still be the same silly grey pegasus I always knew,

Edited by Cwanky
  • Brohoof 1

She was "Derpy" in canon if only briefly. So I will always know her as Derpy Hooves. By the way, I think it's great that they're giving her a lot of recognition in the show.

• Brohoof 3

I prefer to call her Ditzy, never did like the Derpy name :/

Whatever, her name is Ditzy to me and always will be unless its said offically in the show or by the creators

• Brohoof 1