Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people like Sunset Shimmer (at least now)?

baba_booey

If anyone manages to stumble across this - Ignore this post please, I was cringeworthy back then and this topic isn't something I'm proud of tbh ;_;

Edited by SuperALPHYSBrony

I believe that Sunset Shimmer has a really well done redemption arc. Yeah, she wasn't that great in the first movie, but in RR she was not only interesting but she played on a typical redemption trope but did it in a new, refreshing way. Instead of giving into temptation to go back to her dastardly ways, she stays unmoving and works to prove that she really has changed - and doesn't blame others for the suspicion and the distrust that they have in her, given what she's done in the past.

Actions speak louder than words and Sunset Shimmer proves it.

• Brohoof 6

Rainbow Rocks is when I started to enjoy her character a little bit because she showed a lot more emotion than EG1. She seemed like she wasn't rushed as bad which really showed in her character.

Plus her hair reminds me of bacon. :lol:

• Brohoof 3

I haven't seen Rainbow Rocks, so I can't really say. It definitely took me by surprise when a whole bunch of fans started appearing over here, though. I wouldn't have expected a redemption arc in RR.

• Brohoof 1

She definitely sucked in the first movie, but in RR, she's a lot more fleshed out. It seemed like in the first movie that everything was solved, but nope. In RR, everyone except the mane 6 dislikes her a lot, but she still tries to be good. It's obvious from the way that she acts that she knows friendship is magic. c:

Edited by MechanicalDoom
  • Brohoof 1

First Regular of the Sunset Shimmer Fan Club? If it wasn't for Timezones I'd had been Surprised if Lordav didn't take first comment lol

First off it's her new attitude. She's always had the looks but seeing her smile and more open to everyone in RR just makes her more Lovable and attractive. There is also a connection to those who may have done something that they in turn regret and want to make up for it in some way. Sunny turned herself around in the best way possible and made up for what she did.

Edited by The_arrow_of_light
  • Brohoof 2

I don't get it, she a bit overrated if you ask me. I have nothing against her really, but I don't find anything appealing about her character that makes her so popular either. She reminds me a lot of Meg Griffin from Family Guy. Her whole "teen angst" image just get old.

Sonata Dusk forever!

Edited by whitetiger187

I liked her in Rainbow Rocks because she seemed a bit more fleshed out as a character. Too many things come into question when Sunset was a villain in the first film, Like why did Snips and Snails serve her so blindly, yeah they are dumb. But when they followed Trixie it was out of admiration of her magic and abilities, which were lied about but they didn't know that.

Why does Sunset put up a nice act in EQG1 sometimes even though the entire school hates her and she knows that already? why did she have such swing when everybody hated her, too many things confused me about her character in EQG1 but EQG2 she's just a straight-up redeemed villain and in many ways is a lot like Twilight, she's got a lot to learn about friendship. all she is now is a counter-Twilight and I think that's why people adore her.

Edited by Tilt

I love her even though I don't like her design, lol. I never really cared for her until I watched Rainbow Rocks. I think a lot of fans including myself are able to relate to her; she made a terrible mistake and has trouble getting over it because almost nobody forgives her. She also feels left out from her other friends. I liked how she was the one who convinced the others to stop fighting and helped Twilight realize how to stop the Dazzlings.

EQG treated her like complete garbage, then promptly forgot about her. Under those circumstances, to see her pick herself back up and become a pleasant, fully realized character in EQG2 was as wonderful as finding out the paperweight your uncle gave you for Christmas is nothing but solid diamond.

• Brohoof 2

Well she's a more developed character now, and she's definitely more relatable. She had to go through being rejected by others in her school and proving herself to her friends to finally be forgiven by everyone :) Also I can relate to her as feeling excluded even from your own group of friends at times :(
  • Brohoof 1

Well firstly we can look at the difficulties she is going through and i am sure everybody has gone through this situation, doing a mistake and then having a extremly hard time to making others believe you are geniunly sorry. Then there dat design. Next we have the school setting with very few friends... yeah believe me, i have been through this and it is truly trerrible... that make Sunny's character very relatable and you feel REALLY sorry for her. Then theres dat design. We also see how hard it is for her to actually integrate in "friendship" and she keeps her "distance" from certain "friend" aspects and therefore she is somewhat of a 'secondary' friend of the human mane 6. This can especially be seen when Twilight re-enters the human world and her friends barely notice her. Again..very relatable... and heartbreaking if u ave gone through something similar. Then there dat design. You also have to consider just how amazing the character developmen from the first movie evolved, she is an absolutely lovely character.

Then theres d\that design... I meann honestly.... She's ADORABLE in some pics and absolutely smexy in others. Her pony for is pretty well made too. I mean you can trace a lot of similarities between her pony form and rarity (similar mane and tail design...same mouth shape...I was/and still am a Rari-fan =D)

So i have a different question... Why are so many people against Sunny and there are a lot who dislike her. Mainly due to the fact she WAS a villain and EG one was...pretty....bad. But still, we have a reformed character here with a great personality and beautiful design... Whats all the surprising about?

First Regular of the Sunset Shimmer Fan Club? If it wasn't for Timezones I'd had been Surprised if Lordav didn't take first comment lol

First off it's her new attitude. She's always had the looks but seeing her smile and more open to everyone in RR just makes her more Lovable and attractive. There is also a connection to those who may have done something that they in turn regret and want to make up for it in some way. Sunny turned herself around in the best way possible and made up for what she did.

I was off watching "Seventh Son"... Also...yeah... my timezone is the worst =p

Sorry Sunny  :(  :(  :(  I have failed thee  :(  :(  :(

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

So i have a different question... Why are so many people against Sunny and there are a lot who dislike her. Mainly due to the fact she WAS a villain and EG one was...pretty....bad. But still, we have a reformed character here with a great personality and beautiful design... Whats all the surprising about?

Well, the reason why I wasn't a fan of her in Rainbow Rocks was because I still felt she was too generic of a character. Just one of those characters that no one cares about until she needs to save the place and I'm not really fond of her personality for some reason, but I can see why people like her now. Just that I still don't for that reason.

Edited by Miles Tails Prower

Well, the reason why I wasn't a fan of her in Rainbow Rocks was because I still felt she was too generic of a character. Just one of those characters that no one cares about until she needs to save the place, but I can see why people like her now. Just that I still don't for that reason.

its not that no one cares about her until she saves the day, its about her struggle to prove herself to everyone, which is overshadowed by every other aspect of the movie, for example the kitchen scene, where maud totally steals the spotlight and quickly shifts focus from sunset shimmer's struggle.

(edited)

its not that no one cares about her until she saves the day, its about her struggle to prove herself to everyone, which is overshadowed by every other aspect of the movie, for example the kitchen scene, where maud totally steals the spotlight and quickly shifts focus from sunset shimmer's struggle.

I can see where your coming from, but it doesn't really make a difference for me I guess :P

Edited by Miles Tails Prower

I love her redemption arc.  Mainly, I love the fact that she *has* a redemption arc, to start with.  She felt terrible and realized what she did was wrong at the end of the first film, but that doesn't automatically make everything okay.  Redemption takes time.  You have to work at it and build trust back.  I really appreciated that Rainbow Rocks showed that.  

Her personality was really endearing.  She was a proud, arrogant evil bitch in the first film, got taken down a few pegs, and I love how humble and unsure of herself she is in the sequel.  The movie was really effective in making me feel for her, so that when she did get her moment to shine, I just wanted to stand up and cheer.  

Plus she just looks flat out gorgeous.  Her human form is probably my favorite design out of the entire EQG cast. 

First EQ girls

1. Breaks down the bounds of friendship in the school.

2.Makes every other group hate the other.

3.Steals a crown of a alicorn princess.

4.Uses its magic to turn into a she-demon

5.Enslaves the school and makes em into mindless drones.

RAINBOW Rocks

1. Shes a true sign of trying to be a better person.

2. Even when her friends go all googy over Twilight is back,  she still helps them out.

3.Yes she has a nice design!

4.Shimmer shows some good depth but also doubts in the film of the path shes on in the moment.

5.Is not effected by the Sirens spell, and is not caught up in being in the spotlight or always right.

6. Proves she can also stand on her own feet if anything!

"She's so much more fleshed out now"

And not a single person bothers to offer any explanation or detail. Just take their word for it.

Also, anyone in this thread using the words "redemption arc" does not know what an "arc" is.

Personally, I found her even more bland in RR than in the original. And she was awful in the original.

"She's so much more fleshed out now"

And not a single person bothers to offer any explanation or detail. Just take their word for it.

Have you read more than just one post in this thread? A bunch of guys gave their reasons.

• Brohoof 1

Yup, and none of them are actually from the movie.

Okay, in terms of the movie she pretty much did a 180 from evil bland villain to a character that wants to redeem herself and prove that she can be good. There were several scenes in RR where we got to see more of Sunset Shimmer beyond "I'm evil muhaha photoshop adobe premier!"

In the first one her character was just weak. We only know that she ran into the portal and started bullying a school, Whilst the principles did nothing and just accepted it. She was just an antagonist to cause drama and had no real character beyond that.

In the second one her character is still a little flimsy but now she has a goal that makes some sense which is trying to fit in and make friends, something a lot of people can relate to and attach themselves with. The reason I like her more is a simple one, we see her doing things. In the first one when you think about it you don't really see her all that much and her schemes always happen with her off-cam and Snips and Snails doing most of the work.

So the reason I think a lot of people like her now is the whole "I want to fit in" aspect of her character.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, in terms of the movie she pretty much did a 180 from evil bland villain to a character that wants to redeem herself and prove that she can be good. There were several scenes in RR where we got to see more of Sunset Shimmer beyond "I'm evil muhaha photoshop adobe premier!"

In the second one her character is still a little flimsy but now she has a goal that makes some sense which is trying to fit in and make friends, something a lot of people can relate to and attach themselves with. The reason I like her more is a simple one, we see her doing things. In the first one when you think about it you don't really see her all that much and her schemes always happen with her off-cam and Snips and Snails doing most of the work.

So the reason I think a lot of people like her now is the whole "I want to fit in" aspect of her character.

I agree with most of this. That is why people like her (aside from "omg she so cute 10/10"). However, the claims of her being "more fleshed out" are simply incorrect. She's exactly as bland in RR, if not more so, than she was in the first movie. The "I want to fit in" aspect of her character is literally the only aspect of her character.

I agree with most of this. That is why people like her (aside from "omg she so cute 10/10"). However, the claims of her being "more fleshed out" are simply incorrect. She's exactly as bland in RR, if not more so, than she was in the first movie. The "I want to fit in" aspect of her character is literally the only aspect of her character.

Well, she is more fleshed out than in the first film, even if not by much. We do see a gilmpse of her true nature and personality in several scenes in RR, including the kitchen scene between her and Twilight.

That scene on it's own makes her more fleshed out than the first film.