Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Anypony play Magic: The Gathering ?

Jonquil Earthpony

So there is a MTG thread here. I currently only have a white (and I think there is a little bit of green in it) artifact deck, and a random green deck that I made in about an hour with random cards from my collection. I haven't played in months though.

• Brohoof 2

Oh and... I have a ton of decks. But my favourite ones are: the Populate deck (Green and White), Zombie deck (Black, Green, and Blue), Nicol Bolas deck (Custom; Black, Red, and Blue), and I also like my Land deck (Mainly Green, with some Black). I would love to play all of you! I keep my friends all the time, so I need a challange. :3 I also have a 250 deck that's only Blue and Red. It super dirty, and works like a charm (Only 70 Lands XD)... Anyways, there's to name a few!

I see this thread came back from the dead, cheers

I will probably post here random mlp cards to keep it going (btw, I used an online CardCrafter, but made up any details and cost myself :3 So critisism is welcome!).

I made a card for my OC ^_^ It may be a little OP...

1430403640268352.png

• Brohoof 1

I've been playing MTG on and off since 1999. I never got into T2/Standard and mainly stuck to playing EDH, Legacy, and 2HG variants. I'm definintely a Johnny-type player, and love to craft my decks around combos and tribes. Currently, I'm only really active in EDH/Commander and run a mono-green Elfball. In 60 card formats I usually run a black/green Gorgon tribal or a colorless Myr combo/tribal. I also have a 5-color aggro Sliver that none of my friends let me play because it's way too Spike, haha.

• Brohoof 3

I've been playing MTG on and off since 1999. I never got into T2/Standard and mainly stuck to playing EDH, Legacy, and 2HG variants. I'm definintely a Johnny-type player, and love to craft my decks around combos and tribes. Currently, I'm only really active in EDH/Commander and run a mono-green Elfball. In 60 card formats I usually run a black/green Gorgon tribal or a colorless Myr combo/tribal. I also have a 5-color aggro Sliver that none of my friends let me play because it's way too Spike, haha.

Oh wow the first deck I ever played against was sliver aggro, oh that deck makes me so mad lol. Also I always wanted to get into EDH it just seems like a huge step with my limited cards I have.
  • Brohoof 1

Oh wow the first deck I ever played against was sliver aggro, oh that deck makes me so mad lol. Also I always wanted to get into EDH it just seems like a huge step with my limited cards I have.

If you really want to get into EDH, go out and buy one of the Commander 2014 premade decks. They are pretty affordable considering what you're getting, and unlike previous Commander decks these ones are actually really good out of the box. My current Elfball was actually conceived initially using Guided By Nature.

Edited by 09thRoad
  • Brohoof 1

If you really want to get into EDH, go out to a buy one of the Commander 2014 premade decks. They are pretty affordable considering what you're getting, and unlike previous Commander decks these ones are actually really good out of the box. My current Elfball was actually conceived initially using Guided By Nature.

thanks for link I never saw they had premade decks for them before, still pretty new to the game. They only premades I saw was the modern deck for like 70$ some clash decks and basic ones.
  • Brohoof 1

@@Overlord0909, see my link above.  a work in progress spider-populate deck.  

I see some populate in there, and I see a couple of creatures in there I have. But some of those enchantments are awesome! I like mana gaining ones, they are very useful for populate decks. I digress, your deck though is well balanced, but I'd be wary of having no Mountains or Swamps when some of the creatures and abilities call for those.

• Brohoof 1

Anypony else use a populate deck? They're pretty impressive if you build them up. Only problem is getting Tokens and keeping them alive...

In my opinion, the problem with Populate is that you're forced into green/white, and if you're going to run that style of deck in those colors you might as well just go for something better/faster like Cats or Soldiers. At best I see Populate as a support mechanic for something like a hybrid Soldier deck focusing around Sigil Captain to quickly amass an army of 3/3s.

• Brohoof 2

In my opinion, the problem with Populate is that you're forced into green/white, and if you're going to run that style of deck in those colors you might as well just go for something better/faster like Cats or Soldiers. At best I see Populate as a support mechanic for something like a hybrid Soldier deck focusing around Sigil Captain to quickly amass an army of 3/3s.

Search up Garden of the Grove. It is a land, that once sacrificed and pay 5 mana, and tap two creatures, becomes an 8/8 with Vigilance. :3 Now that's an army to populate. I'll post my deck at some point...

• Brohoof 1

Search up Garden of the Grove. It is a land, that once sacrificed and pay 5 mana, and tap two creatures, becomes an 8/8 with Vigilance. :3 Now that's an army to populate. I'll post my deck at some point...

lol you mean grove of the Guardian? Had me search for a bit like wtf is that.. anyway I am accually surprised by how cheap that card is when it looks so great.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I used to play a ton back in the Mirrodin days. I recently got back into it trying to catch up on this "heroic" stuff. I have a mono green Combo Artifact deck (weird ik) and a mono black Aggro Vampire deck. I remember I was trying to make an Eldrazi deck and got Kozilek, Butcher of Truth just so I could use that amazing "Annihilator" ability.

Edited by Dark Rider
  • Brohoof 1

I love Magic, but I'm an old school player from way back.  I don't do all this "exalted", "planeswalker", "equipment" crap.  All this f*ckin "protection from everything" crap.  All this "Instant - you win the game" crap.  No, I'm from the days when power came with a price.

The best deck I ever built was a blue-black I call "Big Trouble".  I probably could have gone competetive with Big Trouble.  Back in the old days, that is.

• Brohoof 1

I love Magic, but I'm an old school player from way back.  I don't do all this "exalted", "planeswalker", "equipment" crap.  All this f*ckin "protection from everything" crap.  All this "Instant - you win the game" crap.  No, I'm from the days when power came with a price.

The best deck I ever built was a blue-black I call "Big Trouble".  I probably could have gone competetive with Big Trouble.  Back in the old days, that is.

I too remember the days when power came with a price. Cards such as...

- Ancestral Recall

- Badlands / Original Dual Lands

- Black Lotus

- Channel

- Demonic Tutor

- Library of Alexandria

- Lightning Bolt

- Mox Emerald / Jet / Pearl / Ruby / Sapphire

- Show and Tell

- Sol Ring

- Time Walk

- Timetwister

/sarcasm

Comparatively speaking, modern MTG is far more balanced than classic MTG. I may not like every new mechanic, and the power creep is definitely starting to show itself at times, but for the most part nothing is really "broken" so to speak. Every once in a while a horrible abomination might slip past Wizards' vetting process, but these instances are typically few and far between.

• Brohoof 2

If you really want to get into EDH, go out and buy one of the Commander 2014 premade decks. They are pretty affordable considering what you're getting, and unlike previous Commander decks these ones are actually really good out of the box. My current Elfball was actually conceived initially using Guided By Nature.

thanks for link I never saw they had premade decks for them before, still pretty new to the game. They only premades I saw was the modern deck for like 70$ some clash decks and basic ones.

It should be fair to note to use the precons as an entry to commander since it is a precon and tries to do too much in a spread thin deck. Commander can be as pricey as you want it but you don't need the extravagant price to make one that is fun to play, the price is only for optimization. There are plenty of substitutes for certain cards to help play the deck you want. Now obviously it wont be as optimized or efficient as that one guy that dumped $500 into his while say you dump $200 into yours but yours will still be completely playable and fun. Roxaboxen90 and TheManaSource are amazing resources for EDH and Tolarian Community College has some good videos as well on it, I recommend checking them out on Youtube for more information. 

@@09thRoad, Yeah, I guess it's the power creep that annoys me.  I played a game using my classic cards against modern players at a game store a couple years ago, and it was a joke.

It went something like this.  (Me being Frieza)

I was also comparing stuff like Leviathan vs. Progenitus.

@@09thRoad, Yeah, I guess it's the power creep that annoys me.  I played a game using my classic cards against modern players at a game store a couple years ago, and it was a joke.

It went something like this.  (Me being Frieza)

I was also comparing stuff like Leviathan vs. Progenitus.

Comparing Leviathan to Progenitus is comparing apples to oranges. Progenitus is an extremely niche card that only works in very specific scenarios. Even if a deck does manage to make good use of Progenitus, there are numerous ways to deal with it in every color. Board wipes, sac mechanics, circles in white, etc. Also, it can be argued in many circumstances that, by allowing your opponent to drop a Progenitus in the first place, you've already made numerous grave mistakes. Getting back to your original point, however, I definitely understand where you're coming from. MTG can seem very overwhelming for both new and old players alike. I remember back in the Odyssey block when flat casting a Phantom Nishoba on turn 7 was considered a "big play". Obviously the game has sped up pretty drastically and flat casting large creatures rarely ever happens anymore. However, the cool thing about MTG, and my personal favorite aspect of the game, is that despite how much the game has changed over the years, those old cards like Phantom Nishoba are just as playable now as they were back in Odyssey. Wizards is very good about avoiding redundancy when it comes to creating cards and mechanics.