Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The best video game. ever.

Brock Obama

Given that it's a matter of opinion which is strictly subjective, no, it's impossible to determine the "best game ever".

However, that won't stop me from saying I think Catherine is the best game ever.

• Brohoof 3

People's opinions will always vary a lot so we will never decide on a game that everyone will call 'the best video game ever'. But the guinnes book of world records gave the call of duty franchise the record for best game series so we should all just agree that a call of duty game should be titled 'the best game ever' and be done with it XD

That is an impossible dream. You know what my favorite genre of games is? Space Sims, very very niche despite the rise in popularity recently. Doubt we could ever decide on the best game ever, if everyone were to be completely unbiased and actually rate games based on certain areas such as innovation, graphics, etc etc then we would be a step closer, but everyone would have conflicting ideas regardless of remaining objective or not.

Edited by A. Dazven

This topic has always been hotly discussed among gamers and has never really come to anything. Is finding the best game ever a tangible possibility or just a pipe dream? Your guys thoughts?

I think it's fitting that you used the word "pipe."

post-26550-0-17851100-1421979281_thumb.png

After Atari left the home console market in ruins (and myriad copies of E.T. in a landfill of shame), Super Mario Bros. - a significant leap forward for the platformer genre in practically every way - and the NES proved home gaming's turtle-stomping, mushroom-nabbing savior.  It isn't my absolute favorite game, but - without Super Mario Bros. - I wouldn't have even played my favorites.

Because they wouldn't have existed.

• Brohoof 2

EarthBound_Box.jpg

Sure, there's Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Super Mario Bros 3.

But none of those games got me to play them back to back.

With Earthbound, it was literally "roll credits, reset game, start a new file".

It blew my mind, put the pieces back together and then blew it up again.

I don't care what anyone else says. The game, to me, is the best game ever made.

Edited by pollo20x6

Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past has everything I want in a video game

0c8.jpg

I always considered A link to the past better, then Ocarina of Time.

• Brohoof 1

Master of Magic

image_thumb.png?w=324&h=204

This is an insane 4X game with spells ranging from the ability to summon dragons to rendering units invisible to making flying cities to casting spells that slowly destroy the world, taking place a two conterminous planes (that work like parallel dimensions).  Nothing else comes close, although many have tried to repeat this success.

There is no such thing. I mean, just look at the people above me. There's been several already suggested, and only one agreement. This is a matter of people's opinions. As a result, there can never be a finite answer.

That said, I'll throw a name into the ring and say Okami. It combines story, style, characters, music, length, gameplay, and a bunch of other things that I'm forgetting right now in a way that no game I've seen has ever compared to. Some have been close (and one is *REALLY* close) to overtaking it, but it truly is the greatest work of art that I've ever seen.

• Brohoof 1

That is a tough decision but I have a few strong contenders most notably, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, Zelda A Link To The Past and Mother 1 (Earthbound in the US).

As others have stated, it is a subjective matter; similar to asking what exactly is good art? Video games are considered to an extent, art, by all means. One game is a collaborative effort of  dozens if not hundreds of people, many of them artists and designers. There is no standard model by which video games are made, each is unique from another (even though Madden games are debatable)  ;) . So what it comes down to in a nutshell is popular opinion. 

The only game that made me crap my pants in excitement and fear is The Suffering.

Don't know what it is? Go on youtube and look it up. It's where i got my name and avatar from. I still play it today. That's how fun it is to me.

• 2 weeks later...