Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So do people still hate the character designs?

Zoraxe

I've always disliked the character designs and see no reason to praise them whatsoever. Not only are all the designs extremely generic and uninspired. They're anatomically incorrect, too. The arms, hands, and neck are way too small. The torso is implausible because they have an exaggerated hourglass. And the upper body (head, neck, chest to hip) should be equal to the height of the lower body (hip to feet), not be smaller.

(The promo designs, both the ones on the packaging and exaggeratedly thin prototypes, are worse, though.)

I doubt they were going for realism. It's not like the ponies in the show are all that realistic a design compared to an actual pony. Although much closer in the case of the ponies, admittedly.

I do wish they'd varied the body types more, though... RD and AJ should be a bit more robust and muscular. I like this character, simply because they make her design somewhat unique, and a little bit more natural.

post-2257-0-51421500-1422264701_thumb.jpg

Definitely needed more of this.  -_-

Oh, and the Flim Flam brothers looked positively awful in the AJ short.

I overall don't care for them, as I think there was a lot better they could have done with it, and sometimes the skin tones they used to try and make them look like their pony counterparts were just... Ugh... Flutters comes to mind, her color looked fine on her pony self but when she was in EQG it really wasn't that well done... However I will say this: Their designs ended up making them physically more unique, and therefore did give them some more character on that alone. However that is all I can really say I like about their design, sorry

The designs are a bit too thin and "clone-ish" for my taste :/ Seriously, why are applejack and rainbow dash stick thin when they're both hardworking athletes? They should at least have a bit of muscle to them. Also, why do they all have the exact same clothing style? It doesn't really reflect their individual personalities and tastes much. Topping it all off, why is everyone dressed and styled like it's the 70's-90's? Almost every male character has big, spiky hair with long sideburns and most of them have hipster, grunge, or hippie clothing.

I still don't care for them. I'm really, REALLY happy that they actually have FEET and decent shoes in a couple scenes, but I'm not so happy about the designs. I'm not going to rage about them, but still.

And Rarity... I expect more from you. :( You could have designed better outfits. The ones they wear in their band are dreadful.

I didn't like the art on the toys. Still don't like the toys. Very slow inaccurate. 

But once I saw the trailer and the films, I did like the character designs.  I liked them even more after Rainbow Rocks.  

I mean it's an aesthetically appealing design. Almost like anime versions of the MLP cast.

Twilight_Looking_Up_and_Smiling_EG_zpsb4

• Brohoof 1

I personally don't mind the designs to much, but as pointed out already, the thing I dislike the most is that they are all wearing skirts, except for Scootaloo. And Celestia and Luna.

Edited by Meanlucario

Not really a fan of the EG designs here. They just look kinda weird and their heads are too big.

The reason why EG even exists annoys me. Hasbro was just plain too lazy/cheap to develop a new separate weird/overly skinny doll line to compete with the other weird/overly skinny doll lines on the market.

OH- and the stupid shoe/boot whatevers just annoy the piss outta me. :lol:

My favorite humanized version I've seen of the mane 6 is what I used to make one of my forum signature pics:

post-24370-0-08373800-1423184658.jpg

It's a crossover of the band Gorillaz and they actually have more human accurate proportions than EG.

Also- If any of you are old enough to know what/where Rainbow Dash's crown is from- you will win a cupcake (for real) :smug:

original art piece

http://inkypsycho.de...ified-487082864

Edited by Cirrus-Lee
  • Brohoof 1

Eh, I kinda like the designs a little bit more since the last movie because of the siren's designs; the color scene and outfits look nice together. As for the purple skin, the skinnier-than-normal bodies,and the boot type things, well, I am not fond of the designs all that much. I especially dislike Celestia and (gasp!) Luna's designs, I mean, they are giraffes! It would be nice if Hasbro made the characters more realistic, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon...

I like the pony designs, even though they were weird at first but its because I was too used to seeing ponies.

I find them rather adorable, and they remind me of some anime characters. I love all of their designs, most likely Scoot's due to hers seems right on with her interests. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

To me, there just isn't enough diversity in the body builds. Some of them could have different heights. AJ and RR could appear more muscular tone. PP could have a bit more of a waist from her love of sweets.

• Brohoof 2

To be fair, the ponies in the show don't have that much diversity either, most Mares and stallions share the same body shape. Equestria Girls at least beats Season 1 by not having various clones of Lyra and Bonbon in every crowd.

Well, like I said in another thread I was never a fan of the promotional materials, but once the first film came out I felt positive about the designs in general.

With the improved animation in Rainbow Rocks I became a fan; even if the promotional material still felt off to me.

Hate is a strong word, I would side with, Dislike.

Now mind you not the outfits (Im over the boots, its fiiiiiiiiine). Adagio's outfit just makes me squeee! It suits her in every way.

What bugs me is the copy pasted body types. They DID a LITTLE bit better with the Sirens, giving them uniqueness via "big hair" and Aria face looks a bit differnt then the norm.

No, no its the figures. Listen women arent ALL built like that. Yes I know we are going for "teenage" state of development, hips havent spread, petie bossom, smooth faces, etc etc blah blah....I was in highschool lol, so I say eeeeeeenope!

Im not saying the girls need to be "sexy" Shoot, they do that fine on there own. And while i do spend alot of time in "fan made" world, I really, REALLY don't think Applejack is going to be the exact same size as say Rarity. The gal works on a farm, thats like free pass to muscle mass! 

So for the TLDR, love the outfits, hate the figures.

(And yes I am aware how expensive it would be to make custom models for each girl, but frankly Hasbro HAS the Money!)