Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Reaction: One of the mane 6's voice actresses get replaced

TheMisterManGuy

How would you react if hypotheticaly speaking, one of the mane 6's vioce actresses gets replaced? If said voice actor can match the voice of the old one as close as possible. I wouldn't mind. For example, if Fluttershy was to get a new voice, It needs to be Janice Kawaye. I used to think Hynden Walch could do Fluttershy. But watching a lot of both My Life as a Teenage Robot and Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi lately, It clear Janice is perfect for Flutters.

Wouldn't care. It's not really that big of a deal.. but you know, this fandom likes to overdramatize every little change that involves the franchise.

• Brohoof 2

I wouldn't really care, it's just a television show after all.  :please: 

Getting upset over something as small as a changed voice actor would be silly. In addition, I doubt the new voice would sound completely different.

• Brohoof 1

but you know, this fandom likes to overdramatize every little change that involves the franchise.

Seeing as you posted a strawman, I shall respond.

Having a voice change in a character is actually a big deal. One very important thing about voices is how iconic they are to certain characters. Characters like Bart Simpson, Dr. Eggman, and Ren & Stimpy all present voices with very distinct personalities that fit with these characters. If you change the voice, then it's best to either make it as close as possible to the previous or improve it. Otherwise, the new voice becomes very distracting.

The Mane Six are no exceptions. Each of the voices (including Spike, the Royal Sisters, etc.) are extremely iconic and as much a part of their characterizations as their actions. If there ever is a change someday, then DHX and Hasbro need to make sure the voices are as true to the characters as possible. Otherwise, you'll hear the same criticisms like the ones for Bulk Biceps in Rainbow Falls (from deep and grunty in Hurricane Fluttershy and WA to high-pitched and screechy in RF): distracting.

Thus, my reaction to a voice change is I would be sad, yet hopeful for the future. If the character's voice actor changes, I'm fine…as long as the voice is either as true to the original or is an improvement of the previous voice. Luna had a voice change and improved her character. Temporarily, Bulk Bicepshad a poor voice change.

ETA:

Surprised no one's brought up Luna.

Just did. B)

Edited by Old King Q
  • Brohoof 2

First of all, just want to say that this is a really great topic question, @TheMisterManGuy.

---

.. but you know, this fandom likes to overdramatize every little change that involves the franchise.

Getting upset over something as small as a changed voice actor would be silly. In addition, I doubt the new voice would sound completely different.

Let me explain why I would not like it if a pony's voice actress were to change...

Simply put, it's more than the just mere fact of it being a different VA.  It's not that I don't think another VA couldn't pull off the voice.

The reason is this: if an original VA were to leave, she would be taking with her the persona she created for her character.  

Voice actor (actress).

The fact is that they are actors and actresses, and that therefore, they create a persona over time, inside themselves, that withholds the personality of their pony.

---

Haha, as I was typing that above me, this new post appeared:

Seeing as you posted a strawman, I shall respond.

Having a voice change in a character is actually a big deal. One very important thing about voices is how iconic they are to certain characters. Characters like Bart Simpson, Dr. Eggman, and Ren & Stimpy all present voices with very distinct personalities that fit with these characters. If you change the voice, then it's best to either make it as close as possible to the previous or improve it. Otherwise, the new voice becomes very distracting.

The Mane Six are no exceptions. Each of the voices (including Spike, the Royal Sisters, etc.) are extremely iconic and as much a part of their characterizations as their actions. If there ever is a change someday, then DHX and Hasbro need to make sure the voices are as true to the characters as possible. Otherwise, you'll hear the same criticisms like the ones for Bulk Biceps in Rainbow Falls (from deep and grunty in Hurricane Fluttershy and WA to high-pitched and screechy in RF): distracting.

And that is basically what I was going to say.

Well, kind of.

Old King Q, I think we've got similar ideas, but it seems you're attributing the personality of the characters to the voice of the actors, whereas I am attributing it to the actors themselves.  I believe they create a persona in their minds that they "change into" when they are recording.

It's much like how I used to be an actor for school plays back in high school.  On stage, I'm not myself, I am the character.

Thus, a new voice actress would not have the same persona as the original.

~ Miles

• Brohoof 3

I think it's understandable to be upset when a voice actor gets replace, especially if the actors voice is iconic among fans(just look at David Hayter and MGS fans), and it's incredibly rare for new voice castings to be better than the original(the only example I can think of is DBZKai's Freeza by Chris Ayres vs Linda Young's from the original)

The only way I feel it'd be okay in this case if the voice was nearly identical to the original

It'd be kind of sad, but as long as she sounds exactly like the old voice actor(Like that time the Jaden voice actor quit on the Abridged Series, only for the second guy, who voices Cyrus, to LITERALLY have a second Spare Jaden waiting in reserve! Epic win!), I guess it'd be alright. Still, I hope the old voice actor would be okay.

I'd honestly be quite sad. Like said above me, the voices have become iconic, and I can't really imagine the characters speaking any different. An exception would be Luna, her voice never really sat right with me, just because her voice is sometimes so similar to Rarity's (I don't find her original voice any more fitting though. Too childlike). Although it would be unfair for me to criticize the voice actor, as sometimes you notice Fluttershy's voice sounding like Pinkie's—her manic laughter and consecutive "woah" in the Grand Galloping Gala being a classic example—but it's very rare, much less than Tabitha. Though even Andrea doesn't top Ashleigh as I've never actually noticed Rainbow Dash and Applejack exchanging voices.

Slightly more on-topic, there was actually—at least where I was at the time—an uproar during the pause between Season 1 and 2 from a rumor that a mane cast voice actor has been replaced. I think it was Andrea Libman or Ashleigh Ball, but I can't remember. During the opening people were going, "Hear? Different voice! Different vooiiiceee!" in the livestream of Return of Harmony, and as the episode went on the chants of "it was just a rumor enough already" won over. I was quite relieved!

• Brohoof 2

Surprised no one's brought up Luna.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't both Luna and Rarity have Tabitha St. Germain as their voice actress, and Kazumi Evans as their singing actress?

It's quite normal for a pony to not always have just one voice actress.  Having one VA for the speaking voice, and having another VA for the singing voice isn't a big deal.

~ Miles

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't both Luna and Rarity have Tabitha St. Germain as their voice actress, and Kazumi Evans as their singing actress?

It's quite normal for a pony to not always have just one voice actress.  Having one VA for the speaking voice, and having another VA for the singing voice isn't a big deal.

~ Miles

I'm referring to the difference in voice between season 1 and afterward.

~ Miles

Dulset means the voice in the S1 opener Friendship is Magic, and it's the childlike voice I was referring to. She had only one line with this voice though.

• Brohoof 1

I think that, this late into the series, changing voice is a drastically bad idea. Many characters have one voice actress shared amongst them, such as Tabitha voicing not only Rarity but Luna and Granny Smith as well, and Andrea Libman voicing both Flutters and Pinkie, arguably the most popular ponies of the Mane 6. It would be nothing short of disastrous. That being said, in an emergency scenario, I still think the best idea would be to find a voice as close as possible to the original, possibly getting two or more new voices in the case that more than one Mane 6 would lose their voice actress

• Brohoof 1

It depends but I don't think I'd be too sad.

But if the new voice is too different from the previous one, that would be distracting.

And it can also change the character itself (like Derpy :okiedokielokie:)...

Edited by Blobulle

It would probably bother me. Voice actor changes rarely go well because a character's voice isn't really something that can be "improved" per se. Fortunately I'm pretty confident this won't happen.

Depends on the character and how well the replacement did.

For example: Sailor Moon/Serena/Usagi. Tracey Moore and Terri Hawkes each did a fine job, Linda Ballantyne often sound less like "teenage girl" and more like "drunk socialite", and Stephanie Sheh has been the best.

Or, oh, how the Funimation troupe wasn't very good in DBZ when they took over for Blue Ocean, but have since come into their own nicely. Someone already bought up Freiza, who's voices have been on an even keel IMO. 

Honestly, I wouldn't like it if they did. I'm sure people could mimic the original voices (I've seen fan works that come damn close to the real thing) but it would still be different. But then, I don't like change all that much; that probably factors in as well.

I'd hate it, but one has to accept that something may happen. That is just how real life tends to work sometime.

It would take some adjustment and while some voices will probably never be bettered (Tabitha St. Germain, no doubt), some new additions could very well be improvements.