Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Name at least one thing that frightens you about the future

Cleverclover

At this point in my life I'd have to say that my biggest fear is that the rants and lunacy of the radical violent feminists would, somehow, become social canon and be universally accepted as "truth". Yeah, what kind of a world would that be? I dare not imagine!

I have a fear of death, as I suspect most people do. However, my greater fears are on an increasingly larger scale.

I fear that I will eventually be forgotten, that there will be nobody to remember me. That no matter what I do, no matter what I become, I will eventually be less than a distant echo.

I fear that everything I have had a passion for will be doomed to the same fate.

Every single thing that humanity has ever striven for, has ever accomplished, has ever done... I fear it will all be lost.

One day, the Earth will no longer exist. Humans would have been long gone by that point. Every animal would be gone. Every plant would be gone. Every cloud, every drop of water, very speck of dust will be vaporized. The moon will be gone. Mars will be lost. And one day, the Sun will also end its life.

One day, even if it may be multiple eternities, the Milky Way will be destroyed, in a collision with Andromeda. And many more eternities after, the universe will end.

Everything has an end...

...but none of that is going to measure up to student loans.

• Brohoof 3

I'm afraid of dying... not afraid of dying like: 

"oh my god i gonna die, it's going to hurt, i don't like it",

but it's more kinda of:

"so many cool things are going to happen, so much people will be born and die too, and i'm going to be unable to see it"  :(

My biggest fear is.. not being happy. How anti-climactic.

Seriously though, I'm scared that I'll end up being alone, unable to make friends and not being close to my family. I'm also worried about not being successful with my job. I already know what I want to do as a career when I grow up, but what if I can't handle it? I don't want to be miserable as an adult. I want to have a job that I enjoy doing, not the complete opposite.

• 1 month later...

Weapons of mass destruction (nuclear, chemical, biological, etc), and the spread of radical Islam. Even among those who aren't directly militant there seems to be this crazy want to replace other cultures with Islam and that just makes me sick.

I'm also pretty terrified about the direction the US is heading morally and economically.

• Brohoof 1

Nothing.

I'm serious, advancing technology, knowledge and education reaching further and further, awareness of global issues, did I mention advancing technology? Eventually even space colinization as our next prospective big leap.

The world might not be only able to go up, but I'm willing to bet that it will. I have complete and unshakeable faith that our future won't be this:

2453616-2762456622-the-l.jpg

It will be this!:

2701293-civbe_keyart_leaders_evolved.jpg

Screw fear and ominousness, I embrace hope!

Edited by Steel Accord

Things changing. When I say that I mean that whenever I'm happy or everything's going good, something bad happens that plummets me down to depression for months (as in sleeping nearly 24 hours, not eating, and not enjoying even existing). Just kind of scared to see which next bad thing is going to happen, they always get worse and worse.

I don't fear death myself, but only when it happens to those I happen to care about. So I guess it's just the thought of not knowing what's going to happen next.

The absolute inevitable loss of all fossil fuels. It will happen, and not as far in the future as we'd like. I reckon there'll be plenty of wars in the future because of this.

Two words: alternative energy.

Weapons of mass destruction (nuclear, chemical, biological, etc), and the spread of radical Islam. Even among those who aren't directly militant there seems to be this crazy want to replace other cultures with Islam and that just makes me sick.

I'm also pretty terrified about the direction the US is heading morally and economically.

Mmmmm verging into questionable prejudicial territory there my friend. Most the militant or otherwise less than harmonious Muslims take after the Verse of the Sword, which was not the word or message of the Prophet. In other words, they are the deviants.

"Humanity is but a single brotherhood: So make peace with your brethren."

~49:10

I'm a patriot too and I have my worries but have faith. It wasn't that long ago that people thought the Hippies would be our downfall and now we look back at how silly that was. Our grandsons and granddaughters will laugh at our stressing one day the same way.

The fear that technology will just consume us. That we will be surrounded on it and be so dependant on it, that we would be hopeless without it. That is why I'm still waiting for the days where we return to horses with carriages and play board games or play outside to pass the time  :P

• Brohoof 2

The fear that technology will just consume us. That we will be surrounded on it and be so dependant on it, that we would be hopeless without it. That is why I'm still waiting for the days where we return to horses with carriages and play board games or play outside to pass the time  :P

And if technology and us became interdependent? That we became post-scarcity, post-labor, and post-human? That the world would be so much more free and richer because of such advances? And if you were still free to ride your horse? Would you be opposed to such?

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

We don't have any alternative source of energy that can match to the level fossil fuels do. If we want to continue thriving as we are, we need something that can work on the same level fossil fuels do.

I know we do, there is research into such going on right now. Biomass, geothermal, and just more efficient methods of extracting energy from more traditional sources like hydroelectric or wind power.

It's merely a question of how much faith one has in our ability to attain these things before the clock runs out.

• Brohoof 1

The fear that technology will just consume us. That we will be surrounded on it and be so dependant on it, that we would be hopeless without it.

I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, it is for this very reason why I do not own a smartphone or tablet, nor do I have any interest in any of the upcoming VR devices.

I hate the notion that we're so unsatisfied with our lives that we have to drown ourselves in technology to enjoy them. I have simply decided that I do not need a smartphone or tablet to enjoy my life, and so I choose not to own them. 

We don't have any alternative source of energy that can match to the level fossil fuels do. If we want to continue thriving as we are, we need something that can work on the same level fossil fuels do.

Two words:  Nuclear Energy.  Its doesn't just match fossil fuels, it exceeds fossil fuels by a factor of 10^8! 

• Brohoof 1

And if technology and us became interdependent? That we became post-scarcity, post-labor, and post-human? That the world would be so much more free and richer because of such advances? And if you were still free to ride your horse? Would you be opposed to such?

nope, if it turned out to be good, thats fine I guess  :P just not a huge fan of technology in the first place

And extremely dangerous. It is not a safe or clean source of energy.

The dangers associated with nuclear energy have been exaggerated, and outside of the industrial accidents themselves it is a clean form of energy (solar becomes dirty if you include the industrial accidents associated with it, burning lithium is not good for the environment). 

• Brohoof 1

nope, if it turned out to be good, thats fine I guess  :P just not a huge fan of technology in the first place

Then you wouldn't be a fan of clothes? Or houses? Or a spear then?

I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, it is for this very reason why I do not own a smartphone or tablet, nor do I have any interest in any of the upcoming VR devices.

I hate the notion that we're so unsatisfied with our lives that we have to drown ourselves in technology to enjoy them. I have simply decided that I do not need a smartphone or tablet to enjoy my life, and so I choose not to own them. 

Who says people are unsatisfied? Those are just tools, nothing more. The computer you're typing on is such a tool. Plus, what if technology goes in a radical different direction than digital?

What if the next generation of robots have grey matter substrates? What if life saving nano machines are simply cultured micro-organisms? What if trees could function as server towers? What if we can release modified pigeons into the general population that are able to digest and get nutrition from trash and their waste has the chemical properties of industrial cleaners? (In a generation or two of pigeons, you'd have a city where any surface is literally clean enough to eat off of!)

Biology offers just as much advantages as inorganic hylotech.