Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I didn't feel that Season 4 was much different in terms of quality than any other. I'm actually in the middle of rewatching—I'm at Season 3 right now. And honestly, I find Season 4 to be an average season. Probably better than Season 3 since it has twice as many episodes, and I still find Season 1 the "worst", if only because I might simply be tired of it after so long.

Season 4 was refreshing, and for the first time introduced a formal season-wide story arch, which was an interesting development. Of course, Season 1 had the Grand Galloping Gala, and Season 3 had the book affair, but they were much less pronounced. I was not honestly impressed with the arch I'll be fair, but it's not as though I hate it or think it was awful. I just didn't find it to be amazing. I am in love with some episodes such as Filli Vanilli, and I find it hard to go through some others such as the Breezies. No different for me than how I felt about Winter Wrap Up and The Show Stoppers in Season 1 and Magical Mystery Cure and Spike at Your Service in Season 3, "love" and "hardtogothrough" respectively. Which is why Season 4 ranks average for me and Season 2 I still find to be the best, simply because it has no episode that I feel like it's a chore to start and finish. My chart basically goes 2 > 4 >= 3 > 1.

I understand if some people disagree and find a large number of episodes in Season 4 to be bad, but I just don't find it really awful. It's the same pony I've seen for years, and I don't fear that the quality is dropping, as some expressed about Season 4. I think that Studio B rarely fails to deliver. I am hoping that they will not only deliver, but deliver something outstanding that will surely stand for a long time as a classic, something that will always be remembered as the highlight, big showcase of not only the season but the show. Every season had an episode or episodes like that, and I think Season 4 had them in the form of Three's a Crowd, Pinkie Pride and Twilight's Kingdom.

Some people are expecting every episode to be Winter Wrap Up, the Grand Galloping Gala, Return of Harmony, Lesson Zero etc, but really every season had big exciting ones like that, but also had some more average ones that weren't as memorable.

• Brohoof 1

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. My opinion is Season 4 is second best with Season 2 being the best. Some people see the third as the best, others think it's the worst and some think the first was the best while everything else is complete trash.

• Brohoof 1

Many have already expressed very well why season 4 was great so I will say that it was my favorite season. One of the biggest reasons is that is obviously is taking the show further. I know many just want the 'slice of life' style, but I really think for the show to maintain quality it needs to have some kind of natural progression and I think this season did just that and then some. Plus, Twilight being the Princess of Friendship = Awesome sauce of awesomeness.

The music, the new characters, the over arching aspects, the morals, the progression, it was all immensely top notch. Not sure how that would equate to awful, but everyone has their opinions.

• Brohoof 4

I respect your opinion, but I feel S4 was my favorite season. It only had 2 episodes that I felt were below 6/10 (those being Rainbow Falls and Trade Ya!), plus a gr8 arc and finale, and I preferred the more adventurous style episodes. Not to mention, I feel more of the bad/meh episodes came from S1, i.e. Boast Busters, Sonic Rainboom, Bridle Gossip..

• Brohoof 1

ATTENTION USERS

This thread has gotten severely off-topic with side comments that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand and has descended into petty arguments and accusations about other members. It is a pity that I had to remove a large portion of the posts in this topic because they were either pointless, deconstructive, or disrespectful. This is a reminder to stay on-topic and to conduct yourselves with tact and courtesy. Make sure that you what you post correlates with the subject provided by the OP. Anything that doesn't fit has no place in this thread and should be taken elsewhere. I'm seeing some really great opinions and insight here, and it would be a shame to have to close the topic due to the behavior of a few, but it will be done if this doesn't see improvement.

Thanks.

• Brohoof 4

Season 4 had a lot of up and down.  Some of the worst episodes, but also some of the best.  Much more good than bad.  I still have plenty of faith in the show, but I have very mixed feelings about Castle Twilight.  Not sure that was the right move.  We'll see.

I thought Season 4 was the best Season we had so far. It isn't flawless by any means, but it does take a new and interesting path.

I think the biggest flaw in your argument is you're always looking for the bad. You're right on some points (Flanderization episodes), but your other points are some I would hesitate to call bad (The buildup). Really, the more you look for the bad, the more you'll come off as nitpick-y, which is a big no-no in MLP:FiM analysis.

The storytelling wasn't all that bad either. While there are some episodes that could do a bit of polishing, I do love the different twists and turns that the writers pulled off this Season, like the adventurous vibe, for example. Sure, slice-of-life stories are fun, but it's refreshing to take on a different genre after how MLP:FiM was kinda running out of morals to use. After all, MLP:FiM was originally going to be an adventure show.

If anything, I would tell you to re-watch Season 4 again and keep a careful eye on what's good and what's bad. There's a good reason why episodes like Rarity Takes Manehattan, Pinkie Pride, For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils, Twilight's Kingdom and many others are universally loved.

• Brohoof 1

I disagree completely that Season 4 was "awful," and I'm one of the bronies who was very skeptical about the future of the show. I've seen about half of Season 4 and so far there's a whole lot of improvement over Season 3. The writers seem to have plenty of ideas left and the animation is only getting better.

I have a few criticisms here and there; I'd like to see more of the innocence and simple pleasures that characterized the early seasons, especially 1. Pinkie Pie needs to be written better; no matter how useful she is for comic relief, her character should be respected. ('Filli Vanilli' especially failed at this.) Some of the songs are a little too complicated, unlike before when they were simple yet effective and each one had a special meaning. And Twilight with wings is, and always will be, weird.

But overall, I still enjoy the show and am not seeing any signs of shark-jumping yet.

• Brohoof 1

There was some wasted potential on some episodes. The season finale wasn't anything special either.

Didn't like it much, though. I was expecting for something a little bit more original, rather than some dbz kind of fight, followed by a rather predictable ending.

Still a solid season, to some degree.

(edited)

Wow, seriously guys...

First of all, i didn't expect to receive so much replies of people bashing this simple opinion, but i guess what was my mistake here, i forgot to put the word "arc" in the title and that make us think that i hated the whole season (i posted there was some flaws in it, through).

But my opinion remains, i think it could have been better it there was a little more and not so subtle foreshadowing, also (yeah, laugh to me) i still don't think that shadow from Castle-Mania was Tirek since i only see it in only one episode, and still none of you answered my question: How the fuck Twilight-princeses fusion can match Tirek-Equestria-Discord fusion?

And for the rest of the season, it has great episodes, but the ones that i didn't like were:

-Somepony to watch over me

-Daring Don't

-One scene from Power Ponies

-Twilight's time

-Filli Vanilli

I don't know if someone is going to read this, i gonna post this in another post if that hapens, but the lesson here is that opinions are like butts: Everybody has one, but we think that the other's one stinks.

Edited by ThatCheer

But my opinion remains, i think it could have been better it there was a little more and not so subtle foreshadowing, also (yeah, laugh to me) i still don't think that shadow from Castle-Mania was Tirek since i only see it in only one episode

I agree.  It was clunky and the shadow seemed like a one episode gimmick.

How the fuck Twilight-princeses fusion can match Tirek-Equestria-Discord fusion?

Doesn't she fight him all DBZ before Tirek absorbs Discord's magic?

EDIT:

My butt is bucking fragrant.

Edited by Pinkie-Guy

and still none of you answered my question: How the fuck Twilight-princeses fusion can match Tirek-Equestria-Discord fusion?

Why does it bother you? We couldn't really know who was going to win... Edited by Blobulle