Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Poniverse Hearts and Hooves Day Contest

Batbrony

img-3488121-1-large.png

Well hello, Poniverse!  You're all looking awfully fine this evening. B)  What's that?  You're wondering where I've been?  Well that's easy, I've been super busy with my super awesome special somepony, duh!  :comeatus:

Yeah...  :unsure:

OK, that's not entirely true.  In fact, I, uh... may not have a special somepony.  Oh c'mon, don't look at me like that!  :fiery:   Pretending I've been busy with a fictitious special somepony is a lot less depressing than the reality of my life, which is currently comprised of work, homework, work, grading, work, classes, work, more homework and grading, and oh yeah, more work.  So yeah, things have been a bit cray-cray, to say the least.  Anyway, why am I here again?

Oh right!  I'm not here to spin yarns about the insanity that is the life of a teacher's assistant and graduate student.  No, no, no, no, no, it's time for another Poniverse fanfiction contest put on by the Poniverse Fimfiction group!!!  :D   Because what else could you possibly be doing on Hearts and Hooves Day?

img-3488121-2-large.jpeg

OK, you could be doing that, though I haven't the faintest idea why you'd want to spend the day in a hole in the ground with your special somepony.  :huh:   But what do I know, maybe there's something to it I don't know about.  Anywho, let's talk about the contest itself.

As usual, like with our previous holiday contests, this one will have a holiday theme revolving around, what else, Hearts and Hooves Day!

• (1) All entries must be somehow tied to or centered around Hearts and Hooves Day, whether comedy, slice of life, romance, horror, adventure, or some other genre.
  • (2) As far as ships go, there will be no prejudice as far as what type of ships you write about (though authors will, as always, have to comply with our rating rules (see below)).  Heterosexual, homosexual, and interspecies (e.g. griffon/pony, human/pony, etc.) ships will be accepted, though foalcon will not.  Exceptions will be made to the foalcon rule for Sparity, though it's encouraged that Spike be older if that ship is utilized in a more serious manner.
  • (3) Entries should be no longer than 25,000 words. We'd prefer that all entries be one-shot fics, but if the author requires multiple chapters for their fic, that's fine, so long as the fic does not exceed 25,000 words and is complete upon entry.
  • (4) Entries cannot exceed a Teen rating. We will not accept any Mature rated fics, whether they be Gore fics, Slash fics, Clop fics, etc. That's not to say that you can't enter scary fics (though why you’d want to for Valentine's Day is beyond me, but eh, to each his own), but our group has a strict policy of not accepting Mature rated fics. If any Mature rated fics are entered, we will not read or review them.
  • (5) Fics can be submitted to the contest in the folder titled "Hearts and Hooves Day Contest Entries".
  • (6) Contestants can enter no more than 1 submission of their own work (and please, do not enter any other author's work into the contest, even if you're doing it for them; if they'd like to enter the contest, they can do so themselves).
  • (7) Entries will be accepted until March 9; after that date, we will accept no new submissions.

We hope to announce the contest winners in the middle of March, although that time-slot may change depending on whatever real life demands may arise in the next month. The fics that come in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be featured on our Fimfiction group, MLP Forums, and the Poniverse Newsletter, along with reviews published for each one.  In addition, 1st place will get to draw me like one of your French girls!  :D

img-3488121-3-large.png

:confused: Wait, that's not right... and that's not even what I look like!  Oh right, 1st place will receive a free art commission by the artist TheCraftyWhiteFox (otherwise known as 'The Artist formerly known as LightningStormweaver').  The piece will be a 1-2 character full art piece with a basic background, and may be whatever the 1st place winner desires, whether it be cover art for a fic, or just art of an OC. Check out some of TheCraftyWhiteFox's lovely art on her deviantART page here.

img-3488121-4-large.jpeg

True story, before the Crystal Empire returned, this was pretty much the only day of the year Cadance had anything to do in the way of royal duties.  :bedeyes: 

We hope you enjoy this contest as much as the last one, and hope to see some wonderful entries that help get us all into the holiday spirit yet again!  So get to it writers, and show us what you've got this Hearts and Hooves Day!  Besides, if you're in the Singles Club like me, what better way to spend the holiday, am I right?  :smug:

img-3488121-5-large.png

• Brohoof 14

I'm feeling romantic. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Seriously though, sounds like an awesome contest. Good luck to all!

• Brohoof 9

I'm feeling romantic. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

untitled.png

:toldya: Do behave, SCS, this is still a public forum after all.  :comeatus:

• Brohoof 7

Oh hey, I forgot this was going to be a thing. I'm not sure if I'll be able to enter this time around, seeing as I've been too busy to even think about the holiday itself let alone write a whole story for it, but if nothing else I will be happy to spectate :)

• Brohoof 2

Oh hey, I forgot this was going to be a thing. I'm not sure if I'll be able to enter this time around, seeing as I've been too busy to even think about the holiday itself let alone write a whole story for it, but if nothing else I will be happy to spectate :)

img-3488179-1-untitled.png

:toldya: Yeah baby, spectate away, yo- wait, what the buck am I doing?  :confused:   Well that was... weird.  :wat:

Anyway, that's totally cool, Eloquence.  I know everyone's busy this time of year.  Still, hoping we have a nice turn out at least.  Could definitely go for some sweet, romantic, sweet-as-fudge-and-whipped-cream-on-cheesecake, lovey-dovey romance myself!  :wub:   What?  :fiery:   Guys can be sensitive too, ya know!  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 2

img-3488179-1-untitled.png

:toldya: Yeah baby, spectate away, yo- wait, what the buck am I doing?  :confused:   Well that was... weird.  :wat:

Anyway, that's totally cool, Eloquence.  I know everyone's busy this time of year.  Still, hoping we have a nice turn out at least.  Could definitely go for some sweet, romantic, sweet-as-fudge-and-whipped-cream-on-cheesecake, lovey-dovey romance myself!  :wub:   What?  :fiery:   Guys can be sensitive too, ya know!  :okiedokielokie:

that was the most awkward thing I have ever read in my life.... this quote right here should qualify in the contest

• Brohoof 7

Oh dear. I'm afraid I won't be able to participate in this contest like I did the last one. I actually am writing a romance fic right now . . . Problem is, it's a three-story romance series. I'm not finished with it yet, and it's already over 25,000 words. Oh, and to make things worse, the last part contains mature content.

Yeah, so I'll just say "Good Luck!" to all the entrants and respectfully sit this one out.  :blush:

• Brohoof 2

I am not sure if I'll enter this contest. I may not be able to resonate well with the theme. At least not in a way that will impress.

Again, like with all our other contests, the theme just has to be Hearts and Hooves Day as the setting.  It doesn't necessarily have to be a romance (even though I'm obviously expecting to see a lot of those).  If you can't come up with something, that's totally fine, but I just wanted to convey that romance is NOT an official theme of this contest or anything.  All genres (aside from mature ones, of course) will be accepted as always.  :)

Oh dear. I'm afraid I won't be able to participate in this contest like I did the last one. I actually am writing a romance fic right now . . . Problem is, it's a three-story romance series. I'm not finished with it yet, and it's already over 25,000 words. Oh, and to make things worse, the last part contains mature content.

Yeah, so I'll just say "Good Luck!" to all the entrants and respectfully sit this one out.  :blush:

Ah, that's a shame seeing as your last entry was so good, but I totally understand as well, and thank you for being so careful to abide by our rules.  :catface:  Hope your fic does well once it gets published!  :D

I wish everypony the best of luck. And have fun writing...  :grin2:

:wacko: Dude... DAT BATPONY AVVIE!!!!!!!!!!!! *breathes heavily*  I looooooooovvveeeee thestrals!!!  :bedeyes:

Oh yes, can I have a clarification on the "no foalcon" rule... is it OK to ship two CMC-aged characters provided it's 100% non-sexual?

Yes it is, which is kind of what I expect out of Sparity as well if Spike's still an adolescent.  Shipping two CMC-aged characters in an age-appropriate fashion is completely alright.  By 'foalcon' I meant an overtly-sexual shipping of a foal-aged character with another or, even worse, with an adult character (which for obvious reasons is just not OK).  Thank you for asking for clarification, though.  :proud:

• Brohoof 2

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........I shall construct the greatest romance story ever written(using ponies), Daniel Steele will stop writing, People will shrug and say Romeo who?, all shall weep at the consuming drama, tragedy & interwoven nuances of my tale. I.....................................yeah, I'll try if get time.

• Brohoof 4

Oooh, I have an idea for this but I'm not sure if I'll get the time to write it, got a super busy week coming up :please: anyway, good luck to everypony who does! I look forward to reading your lovely stories ^_^

Well again, as I said in the description, the writing period's extending beyond Valentine's Day to March 9, so you will have plenty of time if you can't spare any this week.  If you get the time, I'd love to see what you could come up with, as I'm sure many others would as well!  :D

• Brohoof 1

I'm pleased this gives us like a month, unlike the Equestria Daily contest which only gives us a week, because I do have an idea for a story but it's definitely going to take longer than a week to write if I actually want to do it justice.

• Brohoof 1

Ahhh ponyfeathers I just came up with an idea. Now I might have to enter after all. Whelp, there goes all my free time  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 3

....That art though...  :pinkie: 

YO @Batbrony, your boss can enter too right?  :kindness: 

Just kidding, just kidding. Good luck to all who enter! Can't wait to read all those lovey-dovey fanfics!

• Brohoof 3