Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Least favorite parts of the films?

Dulset Tarn

My least favorite part of the first movie is when Pinkie "guesses" the entire conflict just so Twilight doesn't have to explain it herself. In a movie chock full of problems being handwaved out of existence and the story making no attempt to be coherent or make sense, I actually finally started feeling engaged once Twilight started worrying with Spike about how to show her friends how important her mission was. Spike suggests telling them that she's a pony princess, but Twilight knows that they'll think she's crazy if she tries. Still, neither of them can think of a way around it, since they need Twilight to win the Formal before the portal closes, and the Formal has been delayed. It seems like the first and only point in the whole movie where the writers might have to actually think about what the best course of action is, and do something clever to get around the dilemma.

But then Pinkie explains everything, defusing the revelation entirely and completely bypassing the conflict. The writers actually saw an opportunity for something that would require thought, and elected to ignore it and instead deliver a slap in the faces of everyone in the audience who expected a real story.

I'll admit, there aren't any scenes in the second movie that I actually hate, I was more bored than bothered by it. If I had to pick then, it would be all the scenes where the Rainbooms fight. Not because it's out of character or childishly stupid or anything (which it is), but just because... well, let me put it this way.

We see them fighting a bit in the beginning of the film, and by that point the entire audience already knows what's going to happen.The fighting is going to continue over the course of the movie, and in the end they'll need to make up and that will fuel the resolution. Now if it were a good movie, the conflict would actually crescendo over the course of the movie, new elements would be added into the fighting, and the resolution would be driven by them actually coming to understand each other. Heck, maybe making up would happen gradually, one pair after another, rather than all at once. But even from the very beginning, we know none of that will happen. We know very well that the fights will be exactly the same every time with nothing new added. We know that right at the climax of the movie, they'll all be fighting just as always, and then they'll suddenly make up by simply choosing not to be terrible friends. Nothing will actually change about their conflict, they'll only decide not to fight anymore. So seeing it all play out from the beginning, every scene where they bicker is simply a reminder of what we all already know about this mindless story arc. That's why it's my least favorite.

In EQG, my least favorite is also easily the worst scene in the film: the interrogation scene. It's not just the worse scene in FIM, but also one of the worst in all of MLP, competing even with the likes of G3.5.

1. The whole scene is incredibly pointless. Luna and Twilight's confrontation created build up and tension for something that may become really budding. Then Flash Sentry comes in. Luna believes him. Scene over. The whole scene lasted barely over a minute. This was a big problem in this entire film: You build tension, only to cut each subplot so short, you never built tension. Several of these shortened scenes could've been cut out entirely, and nothing would've been lost. Hell, you could've had a clichéd, stereotypical, overrated film in lesser offensive quality (maybe as bad as Trade Ya!, if not a little better) instead of a clichéd, stereotypical, overrated film that's worse than Rainbow Falls and treats its viewers like idiots.
  2. Luna is an out-of-character idiot. She believed Sunset's terrible acting and gathers up all the "evidence." One problem: This "evidence" featured Twilight being glued on top of background shots. Each character has a shadow, and none of the pics feature her with one. Even worse, none of them are photoshopped; paper has texture, and some can be really thick. Just feeling the paper or seeing the light bounce off both would've shredded the idea of the interrogation. If she was in character and had a brain, she wouldn't need Flash Sentry or anyone else to rescue Twilight.
  3. Flash Sentry is pointless. Seriously, he could've been replaced by anyone else, and you'd have the same exact outcome.
  4. Why the hell weren't Sunset, Snips, or Snails punished? It was very obvious how they were all involved thanks to Sunset's transparent scheme, bad acting, notoriety in CHS, and evidence. Any self-respecting principal or VP would've suspected it was those three setting up Twilight and the rest of the school.

As for RR, my least favorite is definitely the constant hammering of Sunset's evil deeds. From Part 2 of my review:

During Sunset Shimmer's journey to redeem herself, one of her inexplicable trials was to tolerate the constant reminder of how evil she was last time. Far too often, her friends accidentally put her into a rut by rubbing it in. One joke may be enough, but that might be pushing it. But when these jokes are constant, the behavior becomes mean-spirited. What's done is done. Sunset Shimmer regrets it. Adding salt to the wound without provocation turns the joke from semi-mean to cruel. The HuMane Six — the main characters besides Sunset — devolve from likeable characters to accidental antagonists, and Sunset becomes more sympathetic as the audience can no longer tolerate having the humor be hammered in.

This type of humor ages faster because it's so dependent on knowing the prequel in order for people to understand it. This film relies on you to be familiar with EQG in order to get this plot, and the humor is no exception. If you watched the first movie or comprehend it completely, then you'll understand it. But if this is his or her first foray into FIM, then its context gets lost in a sea of obvious mean-spiritedness. The Mane Six are lent a terrible first impression to newcomers, which hurts the growth of the brony fanbase.

Edited by Old King Q

I agree with what Old King Q said about Sunset Shimmer's past mistakes being brought up multiple times. That's the only thing I didn't enjoy in RR, I think.

I'm not really sure what I didn't like about the first EQG movie... I'll have to watch it again and decide.

There are quite a few plot holes in each film. For example, just considering the pony part of the first film...

How does Sunset Shimmer know to steal Twilight's crown? OK, so she was once Celestia's personal student, but she's been away from Equestria since before the events of the pilot episode, so even if she knew all about the elements, she'd assume they were still in the castle of the two sisters, in the Everfree forest, and she'd assume they still looked like they did in the pilot — circular stones, not a crown.

Celestia claimed that she'd always hoped Sunset Shimmer would return to seek her guidance. If so, then why did she send the mirror away to the Crystal Empire?

As much as I enjoy the films, there are certain questions that you shouldn't think too hard about.

Edited by VitalTwilightSparkle

Oddly enough, i hate the first 3 minutes...

Weird right? 

I just don't like something about the Cafe Scene. I mean i know its for backstory, and tie in with the first film, i get that. But I really cant put my hoof on it..maybe its the hoodies?

Is it AB and SD bitching..no, because i love them catting it up later on "WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT GOOD FRUIT PUNCH!"

Was it the green fart gas? Nah, its a physical symbol for the gathering of power, and whats more evil then green....SPIKE! (mostly purple, i know, but still!)

Was it the excessive backstorying? No, i love lore!

So what was it, heck i don't know...i do know it leads into a sick intro song!

In the first movie I mainly didn't like Sunset because she was just...bland. "I'll take over the world, muhahahaha, and you can't stop me, muhahahaha" about sums it up.

I also didn't like the way they had to crowbar a paper-thin love interest into the movie. FiM can do without main character romance and I see no reason why EQG should be any different. Oh wait, because it's a high school cliche.

In RR...I just felt sorry for Sunset the entire time because her friends were being such jerks to her. And yes, as mentioned before the band conflict and its resolution were visible for anyone with a working brain from the start of the movie.

Despite this, though, I did enjoy EQG and I really liked RR.

• Brohoof 1

In the first movie I mainly didn't like Sunset because she was just...bland. "I'll take over the world, muhahahaha, and you can't stop me, muhahahaha" about sums it up.

I also didn't like the way they had to crowbar a paper-thin love interest into the movie. FiM can do without main character romance and I see no reason why EQG should be any different. Oh wait, because it's a high school cliche.

In RR...I just felt sorry for Sunset the entire time because her friends were being such jerks to her. And yes, as mentioned before the band conflict and its resolution were visible for anyone with a working brain from the start of the movie.

Despite this, though, I did enjoy EQG and I really liked RR.

wait for eq3..and let your pony socks pop off!...heeeeeeeeeeeere comes human-Gilda! :swoons: "Hey Dweebs..nice Pony tails, do they knot much!" squeeeeee! MOAR GILDA MOAR!

I hated the events of the fall formal...

There wasn't much leading up to it except.... 'this is our big night ' *face palm*. I know it has to appeal to little girls and they couldv'e made a 'fall formal' toy range out of it  but really hasbro,really. Also if the fate of 2 worlds was resting on you getting a crown back,then 1) you wouldn't try to win it, you would just steal it!

2)you wouldn't do a whole dressing up montage!

and 3)You wouldn't wait until the last second to return home. 

Also I didn't like any part with Flash Sentry in. (I don't have to explain)

I really liked RR but if I had to choose it would probably be the massive sparkly alicorn rainbow thing in welcome to the show. 

Awkward scenes. I do not like awkward sense.

Case in point, as much as I loves Rainbow Rocks, that scene of the Mane 5 & Twilight in the gym getting ready to unleash their magic on the Dazzlings and NOTHING happens. That scenes serve little purpose other than to embarrass them, and I can't stand scenes like that.

• Brohoof 1

First - Scenes where Sonata was dumb. Scenario just used her as "stupid character for jokes". Aria not stupid, but still mostly for jokes. I'm not saying that Adagio is better - just a single-minded villain, like Sunset in first movie. 

Second - Trixie. And it's not even movie fault. She made dirty move because she was under their spell - yes. But can she cheat independenly - yes! And she still was a jerk after spell breaking - yes! Isn't she just simple illusionist in the shcool that have REAL magic in here and she still super proud of herself - YES!  She is way worse than pony Trixie, I think.

Also thing about Dazzlings - Sunset warned them and Adagio just like "Because you didn't". Adagio didn't even ask why, thought she have seen that super powerful rainbow beam. 

And, also Sunset got friends and forgiveness in first movie, and Dazzlings got shattered gems and broken voices. And, as we can see third movie spoilers, scenario doesn't seem to going to fix that.

How does Sunset Shimmer know to steal Twilight's crown? OK, so she was once Celestia's personal student, but she's been away from Equestria since before the events of the pilot episode, so even if she knew all about the elements, she'd assume they were still in the castle of the two sisters, in the Everfree forest, and she'd assume they still looked like they did in the pilot — circular stones, not a crown.

It had to be an inside job. Someone working with Sunset Shimmer.

The Luna and Twilight Sparkle scene was bad. Really downplays the whole Mane 5 help. Rarity who has experience with SS should have anticipated SS trying something and keeping an eye on her. Like she did with the internet video.

Edited by Singe

In EQG the pointless references were the worst.  They didn't make sense a lot of the time and they were just forced.  If I wanted random refs I'd go to youtube and look at all the pony channels.  I wanted to see a movie (fortunately I knew it would be bad beforehand).  It was also embarrassing (to me) seeing these artists quoting themselves ALL the time.

The refs in RR were part of the movie and pushed the plot further -- so I loved them.

In RR, the Dazzlings arguing was "the worst"

I don't like the skirts

Absolutely. Rainbow dash and AJ wearing skirts? Just look at Rainbow's reaction anytime she's in rarity's place ( In equestria.) You'd think seeing as she has the same personality as there human self, then her human self wouldn't want to wear a dress, same with AJ

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

That stupid scene where Twilight is being interrogated and working to a huge build up and 15 seconds later Flash comes in and proves her innocent, and Luna is just like, "alright, cool... go on and lets do nothing about someone setting you up." So pointless.

(edited)

That stupid scene where Twilight is being interrogated and working to a huge build up and 15 seconds later Flash comes in and proves her innocent, and Luna is just like, "alright, cool... go on and lets do nothing about someone setting you up." So pointless.

Then Luna pulls out her stationary and pen to write her resignation letter.

Edited by Singe

I dunno, I'm a pretty easy to satisfy person. I liked Equestria Girls, and I'm sure I'll like Rainbow Rocks (it should arrive in the mail soon). It wasn't spectacular, I guess, but it was nice fluff. Just something to watch as you relax, or just kill some time.

(edited)

I dunno, I'm a pretty easy to satisfy person.

Im the exact same way. I saw this topic and could not for the life of me think of a part I hated. I guess its a good thing, because it makes mlp so enjoyable when you can overlook small flaws so easily.

But after seeing some of the posts, i do have some opinions on the subject.

The original EQG (EQG1) was my favorite out of the current two, but it also contained some of my least favorite parts.

The only 2 that really stand out are:

-When Pinkie dropped that Deus ex Machina bomb, and a part of the movie that might have been great, fell horribly flat. I would have even accepted if Twilight told them, and they believed her. Because come on, she has a talking dog. I feel Pinkie Pie doing it was unnecessary and hurt the scene.

-The entire movie led up to the Fall Formal, then it was rendered obsolete at the end. Why did Sunset even bother if she was just gonna do that? I hate it when entertainment does this, its one step away from "it was all a dream", when you make such a big part utterly useless.

Rainbow Rocks didn't have any of these moments, but it also didn't have anything that stood out to me. DHX definitely played it safer.

But all in all, I still loved both. Like I said, i didn't even remember those until i saw other posts.

Edited by AppleJack_Wack
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, a few things. There were two especially cringe-worthy scenes in RR, the first being the scene in the gym when Twilight and the others hold hands expecting a magical burst to defeat the Dazzlings...and jack all happens. Even worse was that scene was purposely extended to make it even more awkward.  The second is Snips and Snails..."rapping" routine. The only good part of that was Celestia's deadpan "Please do not drop the microphone." afterwards.

I'd have to agree the Sunset being constantly reminded about what happened in the first film gets annoying real quick. Once or twice I could buy, but by the third and possibly fourth time...

Finally, a minor nitpick I have is it's apparently very easy to make all five of them go at each other's throats. I know they haven't had the same experiences as their Equestrian counterparts and in RR you could argue that the Siren's music was just finally getting to them, but in both movies it doesn't take much for them to no longer get along. In the first film, I think they said they used to be friends before Sunset Shimmer came along and even after Twilight came, it took Sunset no effort to break them up again.    

Everything. Well, except for the music, and this:

cgzPgHs.png

:pinkie:  :pinkie:  :pinkie:  :pinkie:  :pinkie:  :pinkie:  :pinkie:  :pinkie:  :pinkie: 

But apart from these, they were both kinda bad to me, sorry EG fans.

• 2 months later...