Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would the Mane 6 handle military life?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

I honestly don't know much about military life, so it's not my place to say anything. Just think of what their strengths and weaknesses are, and how they would affect them in tough situations. You pretty much got half your answer from doing that.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack could probably handle it well. The others however are highly debatable outright no(Fluttershy)

Edited by Megas75

Applejack: Her great strength and endurance would aid her in basic training, Applejack's mental strength would also help with the harsh treatment cadets are often subject to. Applejack is no stranger to waking up early and hard work so would probably do well.

Rainbow Dash: Most of what I described with Applejack also applies to Rainbow Dash, Rainbow dash likes to take naps which may interfere but has also been shown to train fairly hard which honestly makes her far less lazy than people often believe. Rainbow Dash wants to be in the Wonderbolts which have many similarities to a professional military but her ego can sometimes get in the way. If she learns to control her ego and reckless qualities than she would probably make an ideal cadet.

Twilight Sparkle: Is highly organized and regimented but has serious OCD like qualities that may clash with her superiors own "checklist" of priorities. She has likely had a physical boost from her alicorn transformation which may help with basic training but is unlikely to be as strong or fast as Applejack and Rainbow Dash without the aid of magic. I am about 50/50 on Twilight though her big brother might be able to give her some useful pointers.

Fluttershy: The military is no place for someone like Fluttershy, she is afraid of almost everything and cries and gets her feelings hurt quite easily. One day of basic training would have her an inconsolable crying mess.

Pinkie Pie: Pinkie Pie has clearly shown that she does not do well in highly structured and regimented environments, it is why she left home in the first place.

Rarity: She is a lot tougher than some would give her credit for but though she probably could get through it she probably wouldn't enjoy it very much.

• Brohoof 5

I think Rainbow And AJ could make it through. Rarity is questionable, she could do it if she set her heart to it and were willing to take the unsavory treatment.

Not sure about Twilight...she'd do well as a tactician, but I'm not sure she could get through boot camp...

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy wouldn't stand a chance.

• Brohoof 1

Just because they are the main characters, doesn't they can do everything, military being one of the last things they can handle. I'm alright with Applejack, but I don't know for Rainbow Dash. 

Does Equestria even have a bonafide military? Every bit of canon material I've looked at does not indicate the presence of "armed forces" in the country. I know the Royal Guard exists, but from looking at their appearances in the show, it seems like they serve as a protection force for the princesses.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight Sparkle: She has the abilities but part of me thinks that there's something that'll hold her back hard.

Rarity: She wouldn't enjoy anything from it because military work can get dirty and she doesn't enjoy that.

Rainbow Dash: I think she can do it. After all, she exercises a lot and is hard-working.

Applejack: Same as Rainbow Dash.

Fluttershy: No chance. She'll be crying rivers.

Pinkie Pie: No chance. She doesn't seem prepared for something like that.

• Brohoof 1

Does Equestria even have a bonafide military? Every bit of canon material I've looked at does not indicate the presence of "armed forces" in the country. I know the Royal Guard exists, but from looking at their appearances in the show, it seems like they serve as a protection force for the princesses.

Wonderbolts are a type of military.  In Testing, Testing 123 they made it clear they were made during the Celestial/Lunar Rift.   Whether or not they actually fought is unknown and will unlikely be explained.  But the way they are organized, their titles, and being born during a time of conflict does certainly imply they are to be seen as some kind of military.

• Brohoof 2

Well just judging by my own brief experience, I'll arrange how well each would on the scale from least to best.

-Pinkie Pie

-Rarity

-Fluttershy

-Twilight

-AJ

-Rainbow Dash

Pinkie the least because that life is complete anathema to her. Regulations, formations, protocol. She'd go Pinkamena pretty darn quick.

Dash the best because . . . well she already knows that life and shows how well she can live in it. (See Wonderbolt Academy)

Fluttershy would get PTSD just from suggesting to her that she may have to kill another pony.   :(

She could be a conscientious objector. Honestly, I think Fluttershy would be all right past boot camp. 

Shut up, stay down, keep quiet, follow orders. She'd be just behind Twilight when it came to picking squad sergeant.

You also don't "get" PTSD just from being asked to kill, even killing once won't do it.

I think Rainbow And AJ could make it through. Rarity is questionable, she could do it if she set her heart to it and were willing to take the unsavory treatment.

Not sure about Twilight...she'd do well as a tactician, but I'm not sure she could get through boot camp...

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy wouldn't stand a chance.

I think you mean strategist, not tactician.

This isn't about going to war as much as it is "the military life." It's hard, believe me, but it can be done.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Well just judging by my own brief experience, I'll arrange how well each would on the scale from least to best.

-Pinkie Pie

-Rarity

-Fluttershy

-Twilight

-AJ

-Rainbow Dash

Pinkie the least because that life is complete anathema to her. Regulations, formations, protocol. She'd go Pinkamena pretty darn quick.

Dash the best because . . . well she already knows that life and shows how well she can live in it. (See Wonderbolt Academy)

She could be a conscientious objector. Honestly, I think Fluttershy would be all right past boot camp. 

Shut up, stay down, keep quiet, follow orders. She'd be just behind Twilight when it came to picking squad sergeant.

You also don't "get" PTSD just from being asked to kill, even killing once won't do it.

I think you mean strategist, not tactician.

This isn't about going to war as much as it is "the military life." It's hard, believe me, but it can be done.

You're right, my mistake. My point was that Twilight's talents would be wasted as a low ranked soldier.

Her talents would be far better employed as a strategist.

• Brohoof 1

You're right, my mistake. My point was that Twilight's talents would be wasted as a low ranked soldier.

Her talents would be far better employed as a strategist.

Well the thread title is "military life" specific rank wasn't mentioned. Twilight could test into officer school easily. Even then though, she would still be a low ranking officer upon entry, (the equivalent of a first or second lieutenant) and need a command. What better company than one composed of sergeants already loyal to her?

Fluttershy: The military is no place for someone like Fluttershy, she is afraid of almost everything and cries and gets her feelings hurt quite easily. One day of basic training would have her an inconsolable crying mess.

Hmm I respectfully disagree. See above.

The rest I totally agree with. 

• Brohoof 2

@@HorsesandMOARGaloar,

There's a fanfiction about this very topic. It's called "Fallout: Equestria"

attachicon.giffallout__equestria_by_felixattchar-d4m7ljs.png

KKat's massive understatement short answer to this question?

"Not well."

Still, in that, some of the Mane Six's Ministry jobs were more administrative and political than strictly military. AJ and Dash were the ones most directly involved with the war. I think the title of the thread is more referring to life in the barracks than in that of war itself.

• Brohoof 1

Something tells me Rarity wouldn't do too well. Now Applejack on the other hand.....

I was going to make a post here about Applejack and Rainbow Dash being the only ones to tolerate military life, but what can I possibly add after that video? It was mind bogglingly brilliant!

• Brohoof 2

My thoughts:

Twilight would have to be automatically promoted to an officer position by Celestia to serve as a tactician/strategist. (Pretty likely I'd imagine, given that Celestia was willing to make her a Princess)

Applejack would be most likely to survive combat due to her strength, power of will, and tenacity.

Dash would probably enjoy it a little too much and end up flying right into an unwinnable dogfight in the heat of battle.

Rarity would only do well if she believed she was defending Sweetie Belle's ultimate freedom.

Pinkie would get killed pretty fast given that she'd probably show up to trench warfare with her party cannon.

Fluttershy would go one of two ways.  Either she would drop out the first day of boot camp (Most likely)  OR... She'd tap into her assertive side (think the Iron Will episode) and end up as the most ruthless killing machine Equestria had ever seen (It's always the quiet ones, after all).

• Brohoof 1