Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

pocketshotgun

Hello, just a quick question/thought.

Is Celestia a real name? I was just wondering because I was playing terraria and I had set up  homes for npc's to move into and it said "Celestia the dryad has moved in"

I was thinking it was probably a reference (an awesome one) because terraria is full of them,

but then again maybe it's not.

I know "Celestial" is a real word and "Celest" is a name if I am correct.

Anyway, Thanks for any replies!

post-29417-0-43609700-1424611748_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

I have noticed that Celestia and Luna ( and Cadance too, to some extent ) have names that could work as real names, compared to the nonsense 'word-names' ( Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, etc. ) that most other ponies have. 

As for whether Celestia is a real name, I don't know, but you could certainly name your child that if you really wanted to.

Hard to tell but it can totally be a real name. As for the dryad, it can be a reference because the most popular "Celestia" is the one from MLP:FiM (I think)...

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

It could be.  But at terraria I think some of the developers are bronies.  I say that because this was an image they posted on their blog advertising an update to the game:

post-14375-0-11514100-1424618243.png

(You can see it in context here)

So more or less it could be a reference to pony!

• Brohoof 1

Looked it up on Wikipedia (that invaluable compendium of meaningless trivia & drivel).   According to them, it is a variant of the name Celeste.

Besides the names already quoted it is

A planet of Wizards in the game "Wizards 101"

A card in Yu-gi-oh!

& a "black metal" band founded in 1995 in France & still around

I have noticed that Celestia and Luna ( and Cadance too, to some extent ) have names that could work as real names, compared to the nonsense 'word-names' ( Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, etc. ) that most other ponies have. 

As for whether Celestia is a real name, I don't know, but you could certainly name your child that if you really wanted to.

I'm to young to have kids at the moment. I also think that if someone is named after a video game / movie / tv character it could be bad for various reasons

Edited by pocketshotgun

Anything can be a name if you're brave enough (wait what). Name your child Bacon if you want!

I was reminded of a certain Chris Pirillo who named his daughter Jedi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Pirillo

Edited by Krovavaya Luna
  • Brohoof 1