Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Girls less likely to accept MLP?

Ryzu

So there have been multiple times I have introduced MLP to a girl, in which they're response was usually rolling their eyes and refusing to watch it, although guys seem to give it a chance. How exactly have the gender stereotypes flipped in this situation? I mean every one is entitled to their own opinion, but no females wanted to even think about being a brony/pegasister. We have data as well that the majority of the fandom members are guys but it seems a bit illogical to me. There is one girl for every 3-4 guys. Does anyone know or have an idea how or why this happened?

I'm a girl.

But If I was someone who bought into the stereotypes of bronies, I would think that I guy trying to get me into the fandom was crazy.

• Brohoof 3

My two teenage daughters and my three nieces love the show. Or were you speaking strictly about the adult fanbase? I personally include nearly everyone since some of the target audience will become adult fans similar to how I never let go of some of my childhood IP's. 

• Brohoof 3

My two teenage daughters and my three nieces love the show. Or were you speaking strictly about the adult fanbase? I personally include nearly everyone since some of the target audience will become adult fans similar to how I never let go of some of my childhood IP's. 

I meant out of everyone. Although I have seen little girls deny it as well, saying it's weird and stupid. *glares at sister*

Theirs is probably more a prejudice against "childish" things. They don't have a problem with the fact that it's "girly", but many, many people, including some kids sadly, are brought up to think cartoons are for babies.

• Brohoof 4

I meant out of everyone. Although I have seen little girls deny it as well, saying it's weird and stupid. *glares at sister*

Heh, that is just what little sisters do. It's in their contract. Check it sometime. 

Seriously though, I think that the show can be seen as gender neutral depending on how you look at it. I'm sure that sales demographics of the merchandise would likely point to females being more represented than you would think. 

Theirs is probably more a prejudice against "childish" things. They don't have a problem with the fact that it's "girly", but many, many people, including some kids sadly, are brought up to think cartoons are for babies.

That is a good point. Perhaps a byproduct of parents trying to introduce children to more mature themes earlier?

• Brohoof 2

I have a younger sister who doesn't really care for MLP, although she is 15, not all that 'young.' She actually watches a lot of action anime (such as Fairy Tale, SAO, SnK), while I'm watching Friendship is Magic :blush:  

Edited by Drasamo
  • Brohoof 2

Seriously though, I think that the show can be seen as gender neutral depending on how you look at it.

My thought upon initially watching FiM was that if you get past the superficial "pink" stuff, and just look at the show objectively, there wasn't a whole lot that couldn't apply to both genders.  At first, the fact the Rarity is interested in fashion seems to be girly, but even that was shown to be a creative and business enterprise, far from the normally vapid treatment.  The show doesn't require you to wear "pink", just not discount something just because it is.

So there have been multiple times I have introduced MLP to a girl, in which they're response was usually rolling their eyes and refusing to watch it, although guys seem to give it a chance.

It sounds like the girly cartoon archetype is so bad, that even girls who are older don't want to watch it.  Girls could be more familiar with other media the fits that model and are understandably put off by it. The idea of femininity in culture has surpassed what women are actually like.  It's ultra-femininity to go along with the corresponding muscular, stoic ultra-masculinity.  Completely synthetic.

• Brohoof 1

I think they're less likely to watch it due to embarrassment, or maybe assumptions based on what they saw when they were little. You see young boys weren't (and still aren't) the target demographic of MLP, hence they're less likely to have any experience with my little pony based media, young girls on the other hand are more likely to have experience with G1, G2, or G3 *shudders*, hence when they get older they expect it to be like what they saw as a child. For the boys it's different, let's be honest here people how many of the males on this topic knew anything about MLP other then the title and the fact they weren't supposed to like it... Because of this I think it makes people more curious, that's just my theory.