Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Odd that I'm afraid of the 1800s?

TheMarkz0ne

An unusual phobia that Im sure others have. Logically it's not 'age' or 'eras that are old scary.' I'm not afraid of the 18th century or below. In the 1800s, it just encapsulates this atmosphere, from the clothing to the people. Everyone of the victorian era culture just carries some grittiness to them(except Nikola Tesla, that man is suave and cool in all his photos)

Victorian era gothic culture just creeps me out. I can't really find a reasonable reason why it does. I mean people in the 1700s dressed even stranger, so the 1800s shouldn't be alone. Just a weird phobia I have. What do you think? You can laugh, I will understand. 

The Victorian fashion is honestly the best fashion style to ever exist, however everything else about it can be considered odd/creepy. I'd say your phobia makes sense though. There are other people online with your phobia so I wouldn't really consider it that odd actually.

If there's any time period you should be afraid of, it should be the 1930s. Nothing but economic depression and fascism.  Okay, the 30s had a lot of cool things, too, but it gets kind of overshadowed by the crappy parts.

When I was a kid, our class had to spend a whole weekend living in a living history museum of a farm out in western Mane. Back then it felt very disturbing and I absolutely hated it. Having said that, I would LOVE to do that again as an adult! The lack of tech could suck, but that could be a blessing as well. Also, it was a lot of hard work, but I am not afraid of hard work, so meh...

An unusual phobia that Im sure others have. Logically it's not 'age' or 'eras that are old scary.' I'm not afraid of the 18th century or below. In the 1800s, it just encapsulates this atmosphere, from the clothing to the people. Everyone of the victorian era culture just carries some grittiness to them(except Nikola Tesla, that man is suave and cool in all his photos)

Victorian era gothic culture just creeps me out. I can't really find a reasonable reason why it does. I mean people in the 1700s dressed even stranger, so the 1800s shouldn't be alone. Just a weird phobia I have. What do you think? You can laugh, I will understand. 

Though I personally love the 19th century, I can relate to that phobia. The 1950's creep me out like no other, it doesn't make much sense to me as I find the 30's and 40's to be some of the most interesting points in time ever yet the 50's just sends chills down my spine, mainly in the US.

• Brohoof 1

Though I personally love the 19th century, I can relate to that phobia. The 1950's creep me out like no other, it doesn't make much sense to me as I find the 30's and 40's to be some of the most interesting points in time ever yet the 50's just sends chills down my spine, mainly in the US.

The 50s were just goofy to me. Might sound weird. But I find the 70s much more scarier in the 20th century. I'm not afraid of the 20s, it's my favorite decade of the 20th. It had original character, it didn't have forced pop culture like the 60s and onward did. You want to never sleep again.. Here's the 19th century's greatest sons and daughters(lol)

HH Holmes(Herman Webster Mudget)

Lizzie Borden( An obscure murder was also her grandmother Eliza Borden.. too graphic for this forum.)

Jack the Ripper

These are possibly the most notorius killers in that era.

(edited)

Victorian era was indeed pretty creepy, but that's why I love it! It's pretty fascinating, IMO. I'm glad I don't live in that time though!

Creepier IMO, though? The 1940's, what with WWII, the Holocaust, atomic bomb and the beginning of the Cold War. Actually, most decades have a certain amount of creepiness/disturbing-ness to them. The 50's had McCarthy, and the height of the Cold War, 60's/70's had Vietnam, 80's had AIDS, 90's had start of internet and Y2K, 2000's had 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, etc...Hell, even THIS decade is pretty weird in some ways!

Edited by Carolina

I sort of agree with you. Anything from the start of the Industrial Revolution for me is creepy as all hell. It's like the world went back to the Dark Ages in mindset, only with new technology. Seriously, the Dark Ages were shit for most people, the Industrial Revolution was likewise shit for most people. It creeps me out because while the Dark Ages have mythology the 1800's have...the rise of pollution and towering chimneys belching black smoke. Yay.

• Brohoof 1

I sort of agree with you. Anything from the start of the Industrial Revolution for me is creepy as all hell. It's like the world went back to the Dark Ages in mindset, only with new technology. Seriously, the Dark Ages were shit for most people, the Industrial Revolution was likewise shit for most people. It creeps me out because while the Dark Ages have mythology the 1800's have...the rise of pollution and towering chimneys belching black smoke. Yay.

the dark satanic mills.

the 1800s also gave us charles darwin, lord byron, percy shelley, Napoleon, the birth of modern art, the end of slavery, beethoven, oscar wilde, photography, victor hugo, mark twain, movies, the light bulb, trains, steamships, and innumerable other things.

Sounds far, far away from "going back to the dark ages" to me. The nineteenth century was a renaissance of philosophy and culture. I find the more you know about something, the less frightening it is.