Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are these types of OCs so common in the fandom?

JamesBobbyDReed

OCs with tragic pasts

Alicorn OCs

Self insert OCs

OC's with Tragic Pasts: This happens because everyone who creates an OC, has at some point, heard about the Mary Sue. To try and prevent this, they go the complete opposite direction, but they end up making their character just as much of a Mary Sue than if they'd made them a perfect alicorn princess with no problems whatsoever. Sure, an OC with a tragic backstory can be good, but they need to have a solid character and we have to like them not just because of that.

Alicorn OCs: 2 reasons:

People want the most powerful race

People can't decide between having a horn or wings.

Self Insert OCs: People want to interact with ponies from Equestria, therefore, they imagine themselves as one.

• Brohoof 3

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself as to why I do these things

1. Allows me to let my most wild ideas come to light and try to incorporate them in the given cannon universe. It's very good writing practice.

2. There's no reason not to. If I wanted to make an alicorn OC that's just as fleshed out as Harry Potter or a Mary Sue, gosh darn I'm gonna do it, and I'm gonna enjoy every minute of it.

3. I have the opportunity to put myself in a fictional world that can do all the wish fulfillment I could possibly want. I'm down with that.

• Brohoof 2

Mine doesn't have a good past because it's a reflection of my own past. Seriously, if I was to write a story about my life, it'd be considered a tragic one (at least now, it is a happy life). I've had a few people calling me out as a liar, and it's sickening how desensitized and heartless people can be...Although I also hate the other end of the spectrum too, because I hate pity.

Tragic pasts are to make a character seem more meaningful, and also to have others take sympathy on them, or ask them about their troubled past.

Alicorns have no idea what they're doing, and just want the best of both worlds along with a gigantic powerboost.

Nothing wrong with self insert OC's in my opinion, let's you take part in a wonderful world that we all wish we could be a part of.

OCs with tragic pasts

Alicorn OCs

Self insert OCs

Because it's something that's easy to exploit to gain sympathy for a character and to have a character's actions retroactively justified. Even Hollywood is no exception to this.

Because who needs creativity? And they want their OC to be able to beat up yours. Maybe they're also confused as to what IP their fan fic is being based on.

Some kind of wish fulfillment fantasy I guess? :confused:

OCs with tragic pasts

Alicorn OCs

Self insert OCs

Tragedy makes for a good story. Unfortunately, most people don't know how to pull it off correctly.

People tend to like powerful characters. Take Luna, Cadence, or Twilight as an example (no Celestia love </3). There may even be a good reason for making an OC an alicorn. Usually not, but it could happen. It may be a bit difficult deciding between pegasus (flight) or unicorn (magic), so many people choose this.

Self insertion is a form of wish fulfillment. People truly wish they were there, experiencing the world of Equestria for themselves, and this is pretty much the closest thing they can get to what they want.

Giving your OC a tragic past makes them more interesting.

Admitedly, I've always been annoyed by Alicorn OC's.  I have no Idea why they're so popular.  

As for self insert OCs (aka ponysonas) I think there are a couple of reasons for those.  Firstly, a lot of bronies like to fantasise about living in equestria so, naturally, those people are gonna draw themselves as ponies.  Secondly, I'm sure a lot of ponysonas originate from people just wanting an MLP related profile pic they can use on websites like this one.  

Edited by Serenade

Because people are lazy and uncreative, and these are the quickest ways to make OCs "special". Physically special, mostly, which isn't really something to be proud of.

Often times they're receiving action instead of making it.

• Brohoof 1

OC's with Tragic Pasts: This happens because everyone who creates an OC, has at some point, heard about the Mary Sue. To try and prevent this, they go the complete opposite direction, but they end up making their character just as much of a Mary Sue than if they'd made them a perfect alicorn princess with no problems whatsoever. Sure, an OC with a tragic backstory can be good, but they need to have a solid character and we have to like them not just because of that.

Alicorn OCs: 2 reasons:

People want the most powerful race

People can't decide between having a horn or wings.

Self Insert OCs: People want to interact with ponies from Equestria, therefore, they imagine themselves as one.

So its like some kind of nega-mary sue?

Tragic pasts are to make a character seem more meaningful, and also to have others take sympathy on them, or ask them about their troubled past.

Alicorns have no idea what they're doing, and just want the best of both worlds along with a gigantic powerboost.

Nothing wrong with self insert OC's in my opinion, let's you take part in a wonderful world that we all wish we could be a part of.

You looking forward to the new ducktales?

Also thanks

Hay!  My cockatrice-turned-alicorn OC Corncob resents the implication that his alicornity (alicornousness?) is commonplace! xD

Though I'm not overfond of the "tragic past" stuff myself.  Corncob's past wasn't particularly tragic.  I mean, his mechanical-paw sporting squirrel archenemy (Tony) was always giving him a hard time, but he'd never have gone alicornatrice had they not played that especially competitive game of checkers.

Tragic Past: Part of is people trying to avoid creating Mary Sue's which is understandable but there are many ways to create a character that is a not a Sue without having to give them a tragic past. With that said though whether it is appropriate to do so depends on the character in question and if done right can be a powerful story telling tool but if done wrong can make the character a Mary Sue anyway.

Alicorn OC: Alicorns are the most powerful pony race so the temptation to create an alicorn OC is quite strong, I am not entirely opposed to making an alicorn OC but if someone does make one they better come up with a really really good reason why other than "alicorns are cool" unless they want their OC to be a Mary Sue.

Self Insert OC: It is plain and simple wish fulfillment which isn't a bad thing so long as you don't go down the Mary Sue route. A lot of fans fantasize about going to Equestria and not all of them imagine going there as a human.

• Brohoof 2

OCs with tragic pasts are most common because it's a way for the creator to vent out his/her own problems onto the OC, so that they (the creators) don't have to feel alone anymore. Anyway, I got the theory from my experience when I was making my Ponysona (or what you called self-insert OCs). 

Alicorn OCs are most common because people want to be put in a world where they are in center, which makes them sometimes self-righteous. In actuality, power is necessary for responsibility, I would suggest that if there's someone with great knowledge about government that they should have an Alicorn OC because Alicorns have the job equivalent to the President of the US. 

Ponysonas (Self-insert OCs) are common because they like to imagine themselves as ponies or are curious about that they would be like as ponies. My ponysona, Veiled Spike, is one of the examples as my ponysona because that's the pony version of myself. 

• Brohoof 2

Tragic past: People think it makes their character more interesting. I honestly think it makes them less relatable.

Alicorn OC: Because people want their characters to be special.

Self Insert: People want to fantasize about themselves being in Equestria.

I've not read many other pony's back stories. My theory is that writing a sob story is an easier way for a less experienced author to create and imply personal growth. 

Some people think Alicorns are the coolest, so they want to be Alicorns? Or maybe they just want their character to be a princess? I don't have a theory about that one.

I made a self insert OC because I love Equestria. I thought it was really fun to make up a character. I enjoyed creating a back story and picking out her coloring and imagining her in Equestria. 

• Brohoof 1

Some people think Alicorns are the coolest, so they want to be Alicorns? Or maybe they just want their character to be a princess? I don't have a theory about that one.

You pretty much nailed it.

What some people don't realize is that some of these 'terrible' original characters that contradict canon are really important key components in some people's alternate Equestrian worlds, like Fallout Equestria for example.

Tragic Backstory: I feel it's because they feel that they want an interesting not too boring read for the backstory of their OC and the hardships they face, but they forget OH so many people have tragic backstories, such as living in a town that got slaughtered, parents dying at a young age, mare friend/colt friend being killed etcetera etcetera. Rarely will the tragic backstory be unique.

Alicorn OC: Ironically Changeling's are practically Alicorn OC's in some ways, Horn, Wings, strong magic, hard body build, and other stuff, but yet, the Alicorn is the most powerful species, people choose it so they can make a powerful OC and yet fall flat on their face, most Alicorn's are too strong, have no weaknesses, and quite a few are male, which literally to me makes no sense, no male Alicorn has ever been seen on the show, and all the Female Alicorn's I see are usually relates to the Royal family or 'earned' their wings by helping ponies and other stuff that frankly annoys me quite a bit.

Self Insert OC: Too be honest, most of these OC's are pretty casual and not too boring for how casual they are mostly. I don't mind most of these...MOST.

• Brohoof 2

OCs with tragic pasts - Ugh. You run into these with just about any fandom -- especially the lighthearted ones, like Pokemon, but it's usually so said character can be dark, edgy, deep and mysterious. In reality, they kill the mood and setting of the series they're in...

Alicorn OCs - Again, ugh! They want their character to stand out and be special without putting forth any effort into proper character development. And the vast majority of Alicorn OCs have little to no responsibilities or royal duties, so the Alicorn thing is just an afterthought, really!

Self insert OCs - I think it's because for many, it's the closest we can get to meeting our favorite characters, Pony or not. Sadly, many self-inserts tend to be or develop into Mary Sues, hence the reason why they're so loathsome!

• Brohoof 1