Pastel

Are you happy with your sex?  

351 users have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with your sex?

• I'm happy to be male
    • I'm male but I wish I was female
    • I'm happy to be female
    • I'm female but I wish I was male

I think about this issue a lot and still haven't come to any solid conclusion. I am a male, I act like one, think like one, rationalize like one etc. I also reject every western idea of masculinity. I despise seeing anything or anyone being mistreated and I feel like the presence of a Y chromosome means evil is always somewhat afoot, somewhere, below the surface to every action taken.

I also wonder if people like myself who are only slightly gender confused see the other gender as a 'vacation' of sorts. Like, I'm unhappy with most things in my life that I don't have the ability to change. Switching genders would give some semblance of control and relief from world-weariness and allow me to see things in a new perspective. Or so I think. Obviously it's not even close to this simple.

I have conflicting feelings on this.

There are a lot of variables that I have to factor in about myself personally to answer this question.  And I should warn that some of what I may say here could be taken the wrong way, but before you judge me on that, understand where I'm coming from.  *This could be a long read due to background info.*

I grew up in a country home with older parents (they were born in the early 50s).  They are traditional by default, but in such a manner that it isn't the bad kind of stereotype.  By traditional, for this thread, I'm referring to certain gender roles.  The reason it's not bad is because it's not my dad who's enforcing negative gender roles upon my mom.  Rather, my mom naturally, willingly, just follows the female gender role that she saw in her own mom.  

My parents married at 18 years old, in 1972.  Dad started doing factory work when he was about 18 or 19, for International Harvester.  Then, he got a job for Caterpillar.  He's been a CAT employee for a very long time now; still is.  Mom became a bank teller, and that was her job - working at a local bank.  They bought a house in the early 70s, and that's the same house I am now typing this very post from.  

I was born in 94.  I was adopted.  As a newborn.  I don't know anything about my biological parents, except for the likely possibility that my bio-mother was very young, maybe 15, 16, or 17.  Anywho, my mom has a certain disability, and so my parents wanted to adopt a child because they didn't want to risk bearing a child with the same issues my mom has.  An opportunity arrived at a local hospital - me - and they adopted me.  

I grew up following the natural, traditional roles that my parents use.  And, the country society I grew up in just naturally homes those roles anyway.

College and MLP changed me, of course.  I'm much more open minded, much more contemporary; much less conservative in my thinking.  I realized I was bisexual, which I would have never realized if I'd not have gone to college, leaving behind the isolated country society I live in.

So, who am I/how do I feel now?  

I'm a closet brony, and a closet bisexual.  I sort of have to be, to avoid the backlash I'd get from the people in the society I live in, especially friends and family.

So, am I happy to be male?

*sigh*  Here's the issues:  I'm not unhappy being male; but I wouldn't be unhappy being female either.  Add on the fact that I was adopted, and if I was a girl, my parents may have not adopted me - and I may have been adopted by different parents.  So, my life wouldn't be the same at all; my personality wouldn't be the same at all...

But... for the sake of hypothetical talk here - if I was a girl, and I had still been adopted by the same parents... How much different of a person would I be?  Well, if I had the same conscious (in other words - if I had the same mindset and personality, and was a female instead of a male), I think I know just what my life would be like:  It would be easier for certain things, and harder for other things.  To explain how so, I feel I need to explain the inverse first - how it is for me as a male...

I'm a guy who likes both masculine and feminine things.  Physically, I'm a pretty tough guy - tough, in terms of taking pain; and, as far as strength goes, I'm fairly strong - in terms of muscle tone and ability.  But I'm not "big and muscular" like stereotypical sports jocks.  Nor am I "small and thin" like stereotypical book nerds.  (Do understand I don't follow the beliefs of stereotypes, and am only using them for comparison).  Essentially, I'm the stereotypical "farmer's build."  I'm 6' tall, 185 pounds.  Broad shoulders, long arms.  Large rib cage.  Slight belly gut.  Average waist.  Long legs.  So, I've got the farmer's build.  I'm not as strong as the sports players who lift weights all the time to get buff.  Because I don't see the point in lifting weights if I'm naturally strong enough as it is, and I don't like sports anyways - I'm not coordinated enough for that stuff.  I played basketball and baseball up through sophomore year of high school, and finally convinced my parents that I shouldn't go back for varsity because, I suck at sports.  I mean, I once went up for a rebound and accidentally tipped the ball in, scoring points for the other team! LMAO.  And, in baseball, I couldn't catch a pop fly to save my life!  The only thing I was ever good at was throwing long distance (with 50/50 accuracy haha), and batting.  

But I can tell you now, that the reason I am the way I am now, is because my parents raised me so traditionally.  They wanted me to be sports-y.  But they pushed me too much.  They had me in too many extracurricular things.  I had to quit Boy Scouts after 8th grade because mom wanted me to stick in sports, and their times conflicted.  

I hate sports.

I'm a nerd.  The best thing about high school for me was playing trumpet in band, and acting in various plays in drama/theatre.  English was my favorite class.  I was an egghead, as RD would say.

But I worked for 5 summers outside in the summer heat, patching roads by shoveling asphalt patch out the back of a truck.

What would I be like if I was a female?

I'd still be in a similar boat, for sure.  My parents would no doubt have pushed me to play softball and basketball; I'd have had to quit Girl Scouts...  And I'd still hate sports; I'd still be a book nerd at heart.  

But here's where things would be different for me:

Living in my country society that naturally follows gender roles, not by enforcement, but because the women follow it willingly by looking at their own mothers...  And with men who naturally find themselves in a job farther away from home, who spend less time at home than the women, naturally...

As a male now I'm expected to follow that path.

But if I was a female, I'd be much more of a norm breaker.  I would want to try to follow the norm that was typically the male gender roles.  

Would I be a tomboy?  Well, not in the sense that being a tomboy would mean I was a masculine female, no.  But, I would still be a feminine female who likes to do "girly" things, at the same time that I would like to do the masculine things.  If I was a female, I'd probably be more outgoing, more adventurous, and more liberal (not politically, but generally speaking).  

I would probably be tougher if I was a female, actually.  I know it sounds funny to say, that I'm a sensitive guy, who thinks if I were a female that I'd be tougher, but I really believe that.

Now, politically speaking, I'd probably be much more of an activist (in terms of trying to change things).  I'd still be a Libertarian as I am now, as a male.  But I'd be even more of a contradiction than I am now...  By that I mean, now as a male I am a supporter of [modern] feminism, but I'm not a feminist.  I'm more of a pacifistic, passive egalitarian.  But if I were female, (and this will strike you as odd), I would straight up tell feminists they're doing it wrong (on certain things).  Because, I would be a feminine tomboy.  And that's a rare contradiction of a personality that is unique.  

Why, you ask, would I not be a supporter of feminism if I was a female?

If I was a female, I would look at certain feminist movements and advertisements in dismay.  For instance, the "Like a girl" campaign (commercial)...

[Enter roleplaying: this is me speaking as if I was a girl]
Are you serious?  Asking kids and young adults what "like a girl" means, and trying to change an old-time stereotype from something negative into something positive?  Lemme tell you what.  No matter what you say, the quote is still generalizing people by sex/gender.  Not all girls throw the same, run the same, etc., just like not all boys throw the same, run the same etc.  You expect me to follow this movement to advertise "Like a girl" as something positive?  No.  Because it's neutral.  It always was.  You can't define it.  You can't define how one fucking gender does something in general.  You want to know what we should be trying to advertise?  "LIKE AN INDIVIDUAL HUMAN."  Because every human is different.
[/End roleplaying]

Ironically, now as a male, my views on that campaign is much more supportive.  I understand that women do feel oppressed because of old gender norms that are forced and make women follow, unwillingly.  I understand that there should be a movement towards gender equality.  So, as a male, I cannot have any negative qualms against that "Like a girl" campaign; because I am a male, and I don't know what it's like to be female, and to feel like gender norms are pulling me down.

But as a female, I would tear into that.  Because I would have grown up, as a female, in the same country society where women have zero issues in willingly following the norms by their own decisions to do so.  

As a female, I would like men to be chivalrous.  I wouldn't be bothered if they weren't, but I would be grateful if they were.  If I were a female, and a male opened a door for me; pulled my chair out for me; offered to help me with whatever physical work I was doing - I would be very appreciative and grateful.

Why?  Because my mother.  My mother is the stongest willed woman I've ever known.  And I mean that in the best way possible.  

My mother thinks that the feminist movement is weird.  She doesn't understand it.  She doesn't feel women are oppressed.  In fact, she wears the pants in this house, despite the fact that she does follow the female gender roles otherwise (cooking, housework, etc.).

As a male, after going to college and seeing quite a few presentations in class about feminism, gender equality, and the like, I can understand how some woman feel oppressed.  I can understand why there is a need for feminism, and a movement towards gender equality.

But not my mom.  She would tell those women that they need to saddle up and prove themselves rather than complaining and whining.  She would say do something, rather than running your mouths.

Now, don't be hard on my mom for being who she is.  I bet that you're thinking she sounds like a radical, and that it is counterproductive for her to be against the ways that feminism is trying to fix things.  But let me just ask you this: what if she's right?

---

Back to the OP; back to the original question.

Am I happy with my biological sex?  Yes.

But would I be happy if I were a female?  Yes.

Would it change my personality if I were a female?  Yes and no.

I would still love all the same things.  But I would still be a contradiction.  But, a different kind.

I'm a sensitive guy, who doesn't look as if he was sensitive.  I'm both masculine and feminine, but just seems masculine on the outside.  But I'm more feminine on the inside than masculine.  I have no issues with being of the male sex.  But I'd have no issues if I were of the female sex.  I identify as male as my gender, and would identify as female gender if my sex was female.

I guess if I wanted to, I could say that I feel there should be one more category besides "sex" and "gender."  Why?

Because of this: Your sex is your sex, and not your mentality.  Your gender is your mentality on what you want to be identified as by others.  But you see, there is something missing.  In my mind, gender is what you want others to see you as, because you want them to identify you as such.  But I think there should be a third category, one that is what you want to identify as, introvertly, but not outwardly.  One that you don't want others to call you, but one that you only call yourself, because it's how you feel with your own self, but not with others.

As such, I feel that the third category should be called self-gender.  Because here's me:

Sex: Male.  Gender: Male.  Self-Gender: Androgynous Bi-Gender.

For the sake of clarification, I don't have two separate personalities, as some people who ID their gender as "bi-gender" do.  That's why I stuck "androgynous" before it.  

If I were female, I'd be: Sex: Female.  Gender: Female.  Self-Gender: Androgynous Bi-Gender.

Because I do ID my gender as male, (and would ID as female gender if I were of female sex), know that that's how I feel.  I am a male.  See me as such.  Call me as such.  Think of me as such.  It's only introvertly that I feel like my own self's personality is equally feminine and masculine, simultaneously; not outwardly.

To end this with a more definitive answer to the OP:

Do I wish I was born a female?  No.  I'm fine being who I am.  

~ Miles

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, i am pretty glad that i am male. Eventhough i am not sure what it really means to be a "man."

I mean, i like manly stuff like Wrestling, football, beer, etc.

But i also like MLP, Disney, etc.

But, i am glad to be who i am.

To be a man Is That you have a you know what and you have a Y and X chromosone thats it.

To be a man Is That you have a you know what and you have a Y and X chromosone thats it.

Your narrow definition of men is too exclusionary.

I'm mostly okay with being female.  One thing I hate about it is menstruation.  Though I get around that with birth control pills.  Thank you, science.

• Brohoof 1

I'm happy being male but sometimes I've thought I might have been happier if I was female.  I'm not really sure why though, maybe it's just curiosity?

Otherwise though I'm happy and content with being male.

I'm happy being male but sometimes I've thought I might have been happier if I was female.  I'm not really sure why though, maybe it's just curiosity?

Otherwise though I'm happy and content with being male.

Feel the same way sometimes, Maybe if by some miracle we get to try it being the opposite, i'd jump on that chance, even if it was a trial run.

• Brohoof 2

Feel the same way sometimes, Maybe if by some miracle we get to try it being the opposite, i'd jump on that chance, even if it was a trial run.

Yeah, If it were possibIe I'd like to try being the opposite gender, even if it was just for one day.

Yeah, If it were possibIe I'd like to try being the opposite gender, even if it was just for one day.

I wouldn't want it permanently, just for a day would be enough. I like being a guy, though i feel like a girl sometimes. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm happy with being male.

It's a good thing because being trans in my conservative family wouldn't go over well.

Edited by Greppertas

I'm so happy with my sex that the thought of being a male is repulsive to me. I don't even want to try it for a day. It is something I never want to happen. And I get pretty damn pissy if someone calls me a "he" online. I'm not sure why I'm so adamant about my sex. Perhaps because picturing myself as male brings a certain vision of ugliness, and I always want to look my best. My aesthetic appearance is important to me, and it must reflect my personality well. Females to me are the most beautiful of the two genders, and human males kind of appear bland or unappealing for the most part. 

Basically, it just fits me. Everything about my personality is female. I act like a female. Not in a stereotypically girly way one might think. I just can't explain it adequately.

However, it is kind of an ass when people make assumptions about me based on my gender. For instance, I have little interest in children and babies, and probably won't want one in my life. Something that many people consider a fundamental part of being female, I reject. Just because I reject that though and have more in common with male interests, doesn't mean I'm a tomboy. I've been also accused of wanting to be a guy just because I liked to wear suits. How far from the truth that is. I still love being a girl, and I love the aspects of feminine beauty. It's just that I have a different notion of what feminine beauty is than most people. Don't accuse me of being a man just because I don't fit into your limited concepts - gender is a spectrum, not a binary.

Also, just in case you thought I was some kind of man-hater: I still do enjoy males as friends (or romantic partners) and personality-wise more. They tend to get me better than other females. I just don't want to be one.

• Brohoof 2

I am girl and happy to be one! Though, If i was a boy, I dont think i'd be unhappy either! I'm just happy to be me I guess?
My gender doesn't really define me so it's not a big deal to me. I'd like to be a boy for a day though, just to see. That'd be so fun!