Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think time travel is possible/A good idea?

Moonflowerkitty

Hi, this is my first post. Wondering your opinions on time travel? Like if it might be possible, a good idea, etc. Personally, I think it's a bad idea, and couldn't be possible since we have no proof of visitors from the future. So what do you think?

• Brohoof 1

Well, time travel has been deemed impossible by scientists because it violates one of the fundamental principles of Physics. The Principle of Causality... The only thing that is not affected by this, and thus could potentially time travel is the neutrino as it does not really interact with anything..

So no, unfortunately, scientists have thought about this seriously, and the answer is no. It is not possible.

It will probably never become possible, and is definitley impossible in the past, but you can kinda travel to the future. By that i mean slowing down time around you, so everything away from you is going much faster. In order to do that you would need something that could almost go the speed of light.

Edited by Lee
  • Brohoof 1

According to scientific consensus, only forward time travel is conceptually possible. As an object approaches the speed of light (though it'll never actually get there), time passes a lot more slowly for it, relative to the rest of the universe. So if you had a spacecraft capable of reaching near-lightspeed, it's conceivable that you could catapult yourself years into the future before a handful of minutes passed for you.

Now, whether humanity will ever be able to invent a vessel that could travel that fast, no one really knows for sure. Only time will tell (if you can pardon the awful pun). As for whether it'd be a good idea…well, that's entirely up to you and the factors in your life. If you'd be leaving behind nothing that you'd particularly miss, then I'd say go for it.

• Brohoof 6

According to scientific consensus, only forward time travel is conceptually possible. As an object approaches the speed of light (though it'll never actually get there), time passes a lot more slowly for it, relative to the rest of the universe. So if you had a spacecraft capable of reaching near-lightspeed, it's conceivable that you could catapult yourself years into the future before a handful of minutes passed for you.

Now, whether humanity will ever be able to invent a vessel that could travel that fast, no one really knows for sure. Only time will tell (if you can pardon the awful pun). As for whether it'd be a good idea…well, that's entirely up to you and the factors in your life. If you'd be leaving behind nothing that you'd particularly miss, then I'd say go for it.

WHAT HE SAID :derp:

I would be a terrible teacher.

The people who would want to do it makes me think of that group that wants to go on that one way trip to mars :unsure:

Edited by Lee
  • Brohoof 1

WHAT HE SAID :derp:

I would be a terrible teacher.

The people who would want to do it makes me think of that group that wants to go on that one way trip to mars :unsure:

Keep in mind, my understanding of these scientific principles is only that of a somewhat-informed layman, so I expect folks who are more well-learned than I am will point out any inaccuracies in my post. :P I'm fairly certain I accurately conveyed the gist of what scientists like Stephen Hawking have been saying, though.

• Brohoof 2

Traveling backwards through time was demonstrated and therefore proven to be possible in "It's About Time."  Starsquirm the Beergut (I forget his actual name) created a spell that allowed Twilight to accomplish this feat.  And then everything went terribly wrong.  The lesson I learned from "It's About Time" was that you shouldn't travel through time when given the option.

• Brohoof 1

Traveling backwards through time was demonstrated and therefore proven to be possible in "It's About Time."  Starsquirm the Beergut (I forget his actual name) created a spell that allowed Twilight to accomplish this feat.  And then everything went terribly wrong.  The lesson I learned from "It's About Time" was that you shouldn't travel through time when given the option.

I see... I understand now... I have been incorrect this entire time...

Edited by Lee
  • Brohoof 1

Considering of all the shows I've seen, I don't think time travel is a good idea. Because if you change the smallest thing in the past, the future could be drastically different. Like, if someone killed the Duke of Wellington just before the Battle of Waterloo, the British would all be French or something.

I would kinda like time travel to be travelling to the past and/or present as a spirit or something and that you can't really touch anything, you can just watch instead of appearing physically in the past and having a bigger chance to destroy the future just be touching something.

• Brohoof 1

Do I think it will be possible someday? Highly doubtful. It completely defys all logic. I mean what would happen if you went back in time and then killed your father before you were born? And do I think it's a good idea? No way man. I'd be too afraid to try it even if I could do it. Imagine how horrible it would be if history was altered...What if someone created a world were Saddam Hussein or Osama Ben Ladin etc. was still alive?

Let's start with the bad news. We probably can't travel back in time and watch the Egyptians build the pyramids. In the last century scientists came up with a number of theories that suggested it is indeed plausible to take a leap into the future; going back in time, unfortunately, is much more complicated. But it's not necessarily impossible.

Albert Einstein laid the groundwork for much of the theoretical science that governs most time travel research today. Of course, scientists like Galileo and Poincaré that came before him helped, but Einstein's theories of special and general relativity dramatically changed our understanding of time and space. And it's because of these well-tested theories that we believe time travel is possible.

One option for would be a wormhole, also known as an Einstein-Rosen bridge. Along with physicist Nathan Rosen, Einstein suggested the existence of wormholes in 1935, and although we've yet to discover one, many scientists have contributed their own theories about how wormholes might work. Stephen Hawking and Kip Thorne are probably the most well known. Thorne, a theoretical physicist at CalTech, even helped Christopher Nolan with the science behind Interstellar.

So let's just assume that wormholes do exist. In the late 1980s, Thorne said that a wormhole could be made into a time machine. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, a wormhole could act like a bridge though space-time by connecting two distant points with a shortcut. Certain types of wormholes, it's theorized, could allow for time travel in either direction, if we could accelerate one mouth of the wormhole to near-light speed and then reverse it back to its original position. Meanwhile, the other mouth would remain stationary. The result would be that the moving mouth would age less slowly than the stationary mouth thanks to the effect of time dilation—more on this in a second.

But there are several major caveats of traveling back in time with this method. Chief among them is the simple fact that we'd need a method for creating wormholes, and once created, the wormhole would only allow us to travel as far back as the point in time when it was created. So we'll definitely never be spectators to Great Pyramids' construction.

The other really serious caveat is that we'd need a way to move one of the mouths of the wormhole nearly the speed of light. In their seminal 1988 paper on wormholes, Thorne and his colleagues assumed that "advanced beings [would] produce this motion by pulling on the right mouth gravitationally or electronically." We can't do that right now, however.

What we can do is travel into the future—but only by a little bit. You can click on the hyperlinks to see more also this came from Gizmodo so check out the rest there

• Brohoof 1

I think most anything is possible, but whether or not it's a good idea is another thing entirely. If I ever did time travel I would merely observe to avoid fucking up the timeline in any way, but what if the mere presence of a temporally-displaced entity would cause any form of disruption or even unravelling? 

Suffice it to say that it should never be done until we truly understand it and its implications.

• Brohoof 1

I've heard that time travel can work to an extent if you have the technology (even then you could only go forward). However, it does not work like you see on TV. You wouldn't be able to just hang out with your future self. By going forward in time, you are essentially erasing yourself from the time period. And no, you can not go back.

really, if you were to fly around a black hole, and back to earth, you would have successfully traveled to the future. but time travel to the past is impossible.

Well we're all time traveling right now.

I think time traveling is possible but I also think humans will never be able to do it (or maybe a few seconds in the future, or even less).

...In any case, I don't think it's a good idea. :P

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1