Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

writing Prologue for "The Last to Know" (a story in progress).

Dsanders

If I get enough positive feedback, I may consider writing an entire novel or novella out of this. I don't want to give too much away but this the prologue of a sci-fi story that I've been working on for over two years. Let me know what you think.

From Here to Eternity(Prologue)

The Sun was beautiful. It was always beautiful. It was timeless and ageless. Even after an incomprehensible passing of centuries and millenniums, even after what seemed like an eternity of eternities, the Sun remained. If God had chosen to have a daughter, it would of certainly have been the Sun. The Sun was the eternal spring of life and its scorching flames have been erupting from its molten and seemingly immortal pool of super-heated gases since the beginning of the book of time. This glorious ball of passionate fire and light had existed before the very worlds it gave birth to. It was destined to be the center, a core of origin, the symbol of a beginning. It was one of the many genuinely burning bright marbles dropped intently by God into the sea of utter darkness, for the grand purpose of giving meaning to the blanket of void and despair. As a result, the first and the foremost greatest gift to ever have been given was given, and that was: the gift of life. Nothing in existence can ever hold as much as a profoundness of meaning as the very essence of Life itself. And no kind of life could have ever been any more grateful for having the opportunity to exist and enjoy the delight of this privilege as much as humanity.

From the earliest points in ancient history, humans had always valued and praised the Sun for its everlasting warmth. Some saw it as a divine deity, others saw it as a lively world of its own; many legends and folklore stories sprung out of these various uncertainties. Spiritualists and philosophers had pondered endlessly on the Sun's integrity and origin for many centuries. This lead to many romanticized theories and ideologies, which continued on until the rise of scientific advancements and early astronomy came about. Despite the death of these legends and deism of the sun, her beauty and mystery continued to kindle the amazement and wondrous inspiration of astronomers and cosmologists alike for numerous generations. The more that they had learned, the more they discovered, and the more uncountable monumental discoveries they had made, which momentarily lead them to believe that they knew all there was to know, the more that they had discovered how little they knew.

The Sun had inspired the world. Not only had her warmth granted life to the human race, but her presence in the blue lit daytime sky was always a great timeless blessing to the hearts, minds, and souls. The Sun was a beacon of hope for mankind, their one and only candle that never ceased to burn out, and their sole provider of life within the endless and formless ocean of darkness. She had always prevented their fate in the ice from befalling them and She had always reassured them that the long eerie nights would come to an end. Her beautiful brilliance and rays of life had forever inspired a wholeness of beauty, romance and hope for humanity. She had spurred a sense of happiness in the artistic minds and passionate hearts of naturalists, writers, and philosophers of culture, art, and literature all throughout history. And most of all, the Sun was the beautiful and timeless symbol of the beginning of day. At Sunrise, the world smiled. At Sunset, the world mourned.

The Sun's eternal presence and ceaseless existence had been one of the very reasons the human race had lived and thrived for so vastly long. And just as the Sun was timeless and seemingly eternal, so were the worlds that revolved around her, and all the life that her warmth had allowed to exist. In some unique perspective, one could argue that the Sun had ultimately been the grand source of time for humanity. The history of mankind wouldn't have been possible without her. Life would have never began. She had selflessly granted them such a longevity of time that went far beyond any comprehension, beyond all expectations. Nonetheless, even through all that time, this common memory of the sun had never changed: At Sunrise, the world smiled. At Sunset, the world mourned. 

• Brohoof 4

A very interesting beginning! I'm curious as to where you plan to go with this... Sci-fi... Maybe you plan to have new equipment to allow humans to actually explore the surface of the sun? Or maybe a story where they need to prevent the death of the sun? Hmmm... Well, that's the best I've got for guesses off the top of my head. But that's definitely a cool Prologue! :D

• Brohoof 1

A very interesting beginning! I'm curious as to where you plan to go with this... Sci-fi... Maybe you plan to have new equipment to allow humans to actually explore the surface of the sun? Or maybe a story where they need to prevent the death of the sun? Hmmm... Well, that's the best I've got for guesses off the top of my head. But that's definitely a cool Prologue! :D

Thank you for the kind words! 

Good guesses. Maybe it's something similar to the latter, who knows. I'm afraid I can't give away all of the details yet. However, I will say this: the setting I have in mind for this story is almost incomprehensible. I plan to make this story into a real eye-opener into the social, political, ethical, and philosophical reality of our humanity and how striving for unobtainable perfection can lead to our downfall.

Glad you enjoyed the prologue.

• Brohoof 1

I still support this wholeheartedly :D Like I told you before this is still a great story and I can't wait to see its development :)

Gøødd luück (can't make that second funky d from my phone or the k :P)

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

So I decided to edit the prologue a little bit. I wanted to see if I could add more substance without disrupting the allegorical and poetic flow of the words. So, do you like this version better than the original? Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

From Here to Eternity (Prologue)

The Sun was beautiful. It was always beautiful. It was timeless and ageless. Even after an incomprehensible passing of centuries and millenniums, even after what seemed like an eternity of eternities, the Sun remained. If God had chosen to have a daughter, it would of certainly have been the Sun. The Sun was the eternal spring of life and its scorching flames have been erupting from its molten and seemingly immortal pool of super-heated gases since the beginning of the book of time. This glorious ball of passionate fire and light had existed before the very worlds it gave birth to. It was destined to be the center, a core of origin, the symbol of a beginning. It was one of the many genuinely burning bright marbles dropped intently by God into the sea of utter darkness, for the grand purpose of giving meaning to the blanket of void and despair. As a result, the first and the foremost greatest gift to ever have been given was given, and that was: the gift of life. Nothing in existence can ever hold as much as a profoundness of meaning as the very essence of Life itself. And no kind of life could have ever been any more grateful for having the opportunity to exist and enjoy the delight of this privilege, as much as humanity.

From the earliest points in ancient history, humans had always valued and praised the Sun for its everlasting warmth. Some saw it as a divine deity, others saw it as a lively world of its own; many legends and folklore stories sprung out of these various uncertainties. Spiritualists and philosophers had pondered endlessly on the Sun's integrity and origin for many centuries. This gave rise to many romanticized theories, belief systems and folkloric tales, which continued on until the rise of scientific advancements and early astronomy came about. Despite the death of these legends and deisms of the Sun, her beauty and mystery continued to kindle the amazement of astronomers and cosmologists alike for numerous generations. The more that they began to learn, the more they began to discover, and the more uncountable discoveries they had made, which momentarily lead them to believe that they knew all there was to know, the more they had discovered how little they knew at the time. With each scientific breakthrough, scientists had only begun to uncover even more of the celestial body’s mysterious nature. Solar flares, spicules, stellar winds, and the massive dancing flames of her corona were merely a few of her greatest phenomena. Several decades after the exhaustive amounts of study, observation, and analysis that took place since these initial discoveries were made, the science behind each of the aforementioned solar marvels was finally brought into clarity.

However, even when the Sun had lost much of her alluring mystique, humanity still praised her. This unveiling truth about her had in fact lead many to perceive her as even more deserving of their praise. She was a powerful deity whose varying intensities of solar activity had the potential to influence the atmosphere and climate significantly. She possessed dominion over all the forces of nature. She would either make the tillers of the grounds below suffer in toil from her scorching heat or show gratitude for her warmth. She was the one who made the concept of labor an equally grueling and rewarding experience. Every day, she would reign in the skies for a dozen hours, enveloping the landmasses below in her beautiful daylight. At the end of the day she would leave the horizon to courteously make way for the night, only to return again in another dozen hours to repeat her endless ongoing cycle. Humanity could have never thanked the Sun enough for all that she had provided for them. Her light had made it possible for the plenitude of vegetables, crops, and fruit-bearing trees to thrive healthfully and satisfy the hunger of entire populations. Her brilliant rays had even bestowed beauty and health on those who blissfully basked endlessly in her sunlight. The Sun was gracious for she gave and gave without expecting anything in return.

Not only had her warmth granted life to the human race, but her presence in the blue lit daytime sky was an eternal symbol, an inspiration, and a timeless blessing to their hearts, minds, and spirits. The Sun was their beacon of hope, their one and only candle that never ceased to burn out, and their sole provider of life within the endless and formless ocean of darkness. She had always prevented their fate in the ice from befalling them and She had always reassured them that the long, cold, and eerie nights would come to an end. Her beautiful brilliance and rays of life had forever engendered an epoch of beauty, romance and hope for humanity. She had spurred a sense of happiness into the hearts of artists, writers, and philosophers all throughout history. And most of all, the Sun symbolized the beginning of day, a new beginning, a new hope, and redemption; a never-ending chance to start anew at every dawn―all these things the Sun represented. At Sunrise, the world smiled. At Sunset, the world mourned.

The Sun's eternal presence and ceaseless existence had been one of the very reasons the human race had lived and thrived for so vastly long. And just as the Sun was timeless and seemingly eternal, so were the worlds that revolved around her, and all the life that her warmth had allowed to exist. Sun had ultimately been the grand source of time for humanity. The history of mankind would not had been possible without her. Life would had never begun. She had selflessly granted them such a longevity of time that went far beyond any comprehension, beyond all expectations. Nonetheless, even through all that time, this common memory of the sun had never changed: At Sunrise, the world smiled. At Sunset, the world mourned. 

Edited by Dsanders

I am almost at a loss of words from how well constructed this prolouge is. I anxiously await continouatiins of this story. Abd I must admit, the revision seems slightly better, maybe fuller, more insightful in my opionin.

• Brohoof 1