Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have an accent?

darkwingmare

I legit thought I didn't have an accent

but that was proven wrong when I found out I had a nor-cal accent.

I have a new yorker accent. Anyone who has heard somebody from New York talk will know what I'm talking about. I REALLY like Australian accents. so CUTE *.*

I have an Irish accent. But it certainly isn't the stereotypical high-pitched Irish accent that's common in the American media (God, I fucking hate those accents. They're an absolute mockery of Irish people). My Irish accent would similar to that of Brendan Gleeson in In Bruges or Liam Neeson in Michael Collins

There are some good depictions of the Irish accent in American media that would probably be best considered "over the top" but are still really good. Think the Irish gang in Sin City. But yeah, I hear you. The Leprechaun type of voice it horrid and probably rather offensive to most from Eire.

I have a slight New England accent, i tend to drop my R's frequently, and use the local slang.

So, Ah we going to meet up in Bang-ah? O' maybe Bah Hahbah? :P

• Brohoof 1

Not sure what kind of accent I actually have unless you count Missourian? :lol: Possibly southern but not too southern. maybe Midwestern if there is such a thing. I don't know I can't tell.

Edited by RainbowDarth

My accent is Californian (Northern) without the "hella" and "hecka" (s) with an extremely slight touch of Scottish thrown in. Sometimes, I'll say words like "better" a bit different than fellow Californians would. Also, I have slang terms I somehow created for myself randomnly for no reason.

Edited by CC_Maud_Pie

I have an American accent that when used to speak other languages, makes them sound like shit. Luckily for me, I've mastered the Spanish, Scottish, Irish, and Australian accents when using said language or dialect (other than I don't know Irish Gaelic).

Note: My type of American accent is a very generic one, without use of slang or odd terms, and with no particular oddities. It's most like a basic Californian accent, not that I'd know what that's like now (grew up there and moved at age 5). I live in NH now, but refuse to call sprinkles jimmies (why? it's crazy, I tell you!).

Edited by \/

I guess I have a relatively posh british accent at times  :catface:

but what I love, is a southern accent...mmmmmm  :wub: Half the reason why AJ's my fav pony  ^_^

To me or anyone with the same accent as I have? No.  To anyone that has an accent that differs from mine? Yes.  :lol:   Haha, for reals though!  I am from Utah, and I have been told that all "utahns" say things weird. For example, Mountain- MouhUHn.  I also say some words in a way that I have never heard anyone else say them before.  I literally say m-a-y-o-neighs.  My roommates would always get after me for that.  Do any of you say Mayonnaise like that, or am I the only one?  I have always just said it the way it is spelled. (Everyone I know says man-ays.)  Fun topic by the way! 

• Brohoof 1

Well, I have no notable accent or in other words I'm pretty sure I don't have one at all, but the thing is is that to other people like those from England and such, they think we have accents. I know because my mom is friends with someone from England and she came to visit once.

According to everyone I speak to online, I do.

At least they assure me it doesn't sound like utter garbage. >_>

• Brohoof 1

Everyone has an accent, technically.  For some reason, it seemed to evolve such that boring old American mutts like me are considered to have no accent.  Like the way I talk is "regular", and everything else is compared against that, which is silly, obviously.  But maybe that's how it is everywhere.  Maybe wherever you're born, that's considered "no accent", and everywhere else has an accent.  It's just perspective.  Just ask an actor who's natural accent is something other than "American", and they have to do an American accent for a show.  Like Hugh Laurie/House.  To him, he's doing a foreign accent, to most Americans, it's like "Oh, now he's speaking normally."  All point of view.  But personally, I've always wished I had a more interesting/exotic accent.  Australian is my favorite, but Welsh is nice, and Indian, too.

• Brohoof 1

I have your typical Australian accent.

I pronounce the "er" suffix as "ah." i.e, "Baker" is pronounced as "Bakah." And "Batter" is pronounced as "Battah." I think in America, the Boston accent is similar.

I pronounce 'i' with a slight 'o' sound before it. i.e, "Like" is pronounced as "Loike." (the 'o' sound isn't emphasised though, it's slight.)

And I generally talk loudly.

As for my favourite accent, I'd have to say French or British.

Edited by Coloris
  • Brohoof 1

A kind of Spanish accent  ( Latin Spanish to be precise ) when speaking English.

Besides, I think french accent sounds cute.

Edited by Nicholas

Certain words bring out the Irish brogue from my dad, but mostly it's just a plain old standard American accent.

Funny enough, my dad has been in the States for thirty years now and still hasn't picked up a trace of an American accent. His brogue has gotten thicker if anything, but I have a hypothesis that Irish men develop an increasingly strong brogue as they grow old, to the point that no one can understand anything that they are saying.

I have a new yorkish street gangsta kind of accent (is that a thing?) funny that I've never lived in NYC and was born in south. but I also have a slight southern accent that comes out occasionally when pronouncing a word with the " L"  sound in it 

I mostly have a canadian accent, but I think I've got a slight tinge of an english accent. (Thank you, paddington bear for making the word "world" unpronouncable until grade 5!...) It's kind of interesting reading about though, especially when you don't notice the accent yourself.

I have your typical Australian accent.

I pronounce the "er" suffix as "ah." i.e, "Baker" is pronounced as "Bakah." And "Batter" is pronounced as "Battah." I think in America, the Boston accent is similar.

I pronounce 'i' with a slight 'o' sound before it. i.e, "Like" is pronounced as "Loike." (the 'o' sound isn't emphasised though, it's slight.)

And I generally talk loudly.

As for my favourite accent, I'd have to say French or British.

The Boston accent (derived from the Irish accent) and the Maine accent are similar. Depending on your inflection, you could probably do either one pretty well. You would have to drop the "oi" thing though ;)

• Brohoof 1