Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have an accent?

darkwingmare

Accents are cool/cute/funny sometimes, would be a shame to lose that over wanting everything to be slightly easier

Perhaps. At least for slang, there should be a worldwide body to approve of additions to the language.

Well one of them. Southern California.

I haven't spent much time there but any kind of organized accent there is probably rare too.

I myself grew up in the Bay Area of California

I've lived there and I've never encountered any accented speech from that particular region.

I've lived there and I've never encountered any accented speech from that particular region.

The question then becomes how long you were there and where you spent your time prior to being there.

Growing up there, you get used to it. Then you move and talk to friends after a year or more and you pick up on the subtleties of how they speak (if you actually pay attention to that sort of thing). A few years after moving to Utah I met a man at the store who I could tell was from San Francisco because of his speech. He was very enthusiastic and excited to run into a fellow Californian that recognized his accent. Most of the white Americans in the Western United States will sound pretty similar or at least familiar to people from other Western states. My other, more diverse friends are much more obvious in their speech patterns and mannerisms. It's just what they were around while growing up a lot more than I was (honestly, I was pretty sheltered as a kid...).

The question then becomes how long you were there and where you spent your time prior to being there.

I lived there for schooling while I went to a university. I have lived in central CA for years though. Before that, I lived in SW Washington. I've lived in all three pacific states at some time or another.

For the most part, I have the general American accent. Interesting, isn't it...

But sometimes by mistake, I drop my "r's" in the Bostonian fashion. It can be a bit common for people in Massachusetts.

I've been told I have a SoCal accent. Dunno what that is.

I also have been told I speak Japanese with a Tohoku accent. For the non-Japanese speakers, Tohoku's accent is kinda the Japanese equivalent of a Southern accent. It can be warm and homely or rednecky depending on who you talk to.

Everyone has an accent in someone else's perspective. Particularly those of other countries. Australian probably seems like an accent to most of you on here (clearly not to me of course) though when I hear feedback on my mic hearing myself talk when in a chat with all Americans  It's such a weird feeling and it seems very out of place. :wacko:

Edited by The Crimson Cross
  • Brohoof 1

Iv'e been told that my speech lacks accent, no matter which language i speak. Sometime this irks me a little, so i try to inject some accent into my speech, depending on which language i choose to speak.

I have a Kettering accent which is a very localized "British Accent" only spanning about 3-4 towns.

Wikipedia copy-paste time:

There is an accent known locally as the Kettering accent, which is a transitional accent between the East Midlands and East Anglian. It is the last southern midland accent to use the broad "a" in words like bath/grass (i.e. barth/grarss). Conversely crass/plastic use a slender "a". A few miles northwest in Leicestershire the slender "a" becomes more widespread generally.

Myself and nearly everyone else from Kettering area also have a tendency to skip double T's when we talk. For example: Butter to But'er, Kettering to Ketrin etc. 

(Wasn't there already a thread for this? It kinda feels a tad deja fu typing this but hey OwO/)

Edited by Roboto Mk II

I have a Texan accent for sure, and it's always funny talking to a northerner. When it happens, we're both so confused on what the other is saying or meaning.

Plus, I say y'all literally all the time.

I figured I'd just show you my accent, and use the list of words from the "Accent Challenge" thing that went around YouTube a while back.  Here's the words:

"Aunt, Roof, Route, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Pajamas, Caught, Naturally, Aluminum, Crackerjack, Doorknob, Envelope."

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0bU8T6yn2ic

I'm from Fulton County, Illinois.  Nope, not the south.  This is a typical central IL country accent.

b251365272.png

~ Miles

• Brohoof 2

I figured I'd just show you my accent, and use the list of words from the "Accent Challenge" thing that went around YouTube a while back.  Here's the words:

"Aunt, Roof, Route, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Pajamas, Caught, Naturally, Aluminum, Crackerjack, Doorknob, Envelope."

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0bU8T6yn2ic

I'm from Fulton County, Illinois.  Nope, not the south.  This is a typical central IL country accent.

img-3626588-1-b251365272.png

~ Miles

I've heard of the "Accent Challenge" thing on YouTube and have been watching videos of it for awhile. I'm having a long debate with myself when I should do it. I'm also deciding on whether I should film myself doing it or record my voice.

• Brohoof 2

:)

Here's me saying the same words. In contrast, I'm from the inner city. I used to have a very strong street accent, but recently it has toned down somewhat into a mix of street and, well, I'm not sure how to describe it, hehe.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1UPEdewfjSH

• Brohoof 1

ive never really understood this question. isnt an accent just the way a person speaks. everyone has an accent o.0

in which i answer yes i have an accent :P i couldnt really explain the kind of accent i have as it changes throughout my daily conversations for some reason xD

I sort of have a monotone Australian male accent. As for my favourite accents (aside from my own), I'm going to have to go with Asian (due to me living in a mostly Asian part of my country for about 7 years), thick Russian, Texan and your standard American accent.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't think I have an accent at all, or if I do I'd just describe it as "generic American teen." I'm Californian, my mom's Midwestern, and my dad is East Coast, so I guess the different regions sort of...balanced each other out?  :P I don't know.

Favorite accents are Swedish, British, Scottish, and Australian.

Edited by RCTM