Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Contacts- What do you have to say? (glasses & no correction ppl welcome)

Cirrus.

So today I went to the eye doctor to get some more contacts so I decided to put up this post.

I've worn contacts for about 7 years now. Before that I wore glasses for 7 years starting in middle school (about 12 years old.)

Soon after I graduated high school and was working, I decided to get them. It was nowhere near as bad as I expected. It only took a week to get used to them. The kind I've always worn are Acuevue Advance, which are a soft lens. When I started with them I would take them off every night and do all that and yadda yadda.

Well I've figured a few things out as time has gone on. A pair lasts me a month vs two weeks like "they" say they're supposed to last. I also don't take them out every single night anymore after I found out they make some you don't have to take out all the time. I basically wear a pair for a month and only soak them at night if I've been doing something in a very dusty area or if any water has gotten in my eye. I've noticed that the contact solution seems to dissolve the actual lens if you soak them every night- making it get thinner and thinner.

Some of you are probably going to be like :o:blink:, but I've never had any issues.

When I do ANYTHING with my contacts I wash my hands with soap and water AND THEN rinse my fingertips in 91% rubbing alcohol and then rinse that off. Then I let them AIR DRY a little before touching the contacts.

As for the case:

• When I'm done using it I rinse it with water
  • then rinse the whole thing in 91% rubbing alcohol
  • fill both sides with the alcohol
  • shake it and let it sit overnight in a closed cabinet
  • then I rinse it out with water and let it dry in a closed cabinet
  • when it's dry I put it in a Ziploc bag so it won't get dirty

Overall I like contacts 1000X better than glasses. The only time they can be annoying is when swimming. I've got to be extra careful and make sure my goggles are on good If I go underwater. If I'm not going to go underwater I need to make sure people know not to splash me because this could rinse them off my eyes or get bacteria behind them- causing an eye infection.

So what do you guys think about contacts? Have you worn them? Like them, Hate them? Scared to try them?

Another random thing I thought about is that if ponies had them they would almost be the size of cereal bowls!!!! ^_^

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

I wear glasses currently. My dad wore contacts. I have always been scared of them. I don't like anything too close to my eyes. It is hard enough dealing with that one machine that blows into your eye. Another fear I have is what if they fall out and I can't see. So I might be sticking with glasses. Also have trouble with eye drops so I don't know if I could handle it.

Edited by RainbowDarth
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I wear glasses currently. My dad wore contacts. I have always been scared of them. I don't like anything too close to my eyes. It is hard enough dealing with that one machine that blows into your eye. Another fear I have is what if they fall out and I can't see. So I might be sticking with glasses. Also have trouble with eye drops so I don't know if I could handle it.

I worried about most of those things too before I got them. I honestly wish I would have gotten them when I started high school instead of later. I find them less of a hassle than cleaning glasses all the time.

Edited by Cirrus.

I have had contact since the end of middle school, I'm finishing up college now so a long time lol. I basically do all the same things though I have never noticed the solution problem! I usually just keep my contacts in cups of water when I take them out because I find water always worked just as well and more convenient

(edited)

I have had contact since the end of middle school, I'm finishing up college now so a long time lol. I basically do all the same things though I have never noticed the solution problem! I usually just keep my contacts in cups of water when I take them out because I find water always worked just as well and more convenient

I would be worried because plain water isn't really going to do any cleaning/disinfecting. Plus, if something gets in the water while they're in there you could contaminate them. :wau:

Edited by Cirrus.

I would be worried because plain water isn't really going to do any cleaning/disinfecting. Plus, if something gets in the water while they're in there you could contaminate them. :wau:

Oh well I usually cover the water with somthing but I hardly take them out so i not like I do it often. The water washes it pretty well and does not burn like the solution, Imo anyway

I wouldn't do contacts, really. Putting that crap in your eyes, I can barely put in eye drops!

I was talking to this one chick and she told me about one time she tried to take her contacts out but she sat there for like 5 minutes trying to pick it out when she realized she didn't have them in... that had to hurt.

• Brohoof 1

I can't do contacts.

My eyes are incredibly sensitive. I can no longer visit the eye doctor because I refuse to have anything put near my eyes.

I've had my glasses since high school.

They've never really served me wrong so I've never really bothered with contacts. Plus I kind of prefer my appearance with glasses rather than without them. One question I have is how bad is the wind? I've noticed my eyes have become really sensitive to gusts and I almost have to squint to see anything.

I've thought about trying contacts, but for me, glasses work better.

For one, I have really bad astigmatism in my left eye, not to mention a lazy left eye, so there's that.

Also, I won't wear contacts for the same reason I refused braces: I know I'm not going to properly wear and maintain them, so there's no point.

One other thing: I think I look better wearing glasses than not.

They're both fucking annoying, but contacts are way better. WHY CATS!? WHY MUST YOU PRODUCE SO MUCH DUST AND HAIR!!!??? I'm not overparanoid about cleaning though. My eyes are fine, and I've got myself a slight resistance to most infections and diseases.

I have tried with them but here in the UK the optician his to fit them first to see if they fit your retina.

I always flinch whenever he gets the contact close to my eye...

So yeah, I would like contacts and I think they would be useful for sailing and school (short-sighted (near-sighted)) but no dice.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I'm not really interested in contacts. I know for a lot of people they work just fine, but I'd rather not have the extra hassle. Plus, I think my prescription reading glasses look rather dashing. :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've had my glasses since high school.

They've never really served me wrong so I've never really bothered with contacts. Plus I kind of prefer my appearance with glasses rather than without them. One question I have is how bad is the wind? I've noticed my eyes have become really sensitive to gusts and I almost have to squint to see anything.

The wind doesn't bother me, although I wonder what would happen on a fast roller coaster. That's one thing that might not go too well. One thing that is NO fun about contacts is fixing them if they move to a part of your eyeball you can't see (to the side of your eye or under your eyelid) :blink:

Edited by Cirrus.

I used to wear contacts but went back to glasses a few years ago. Think they became too much hassle!  :lol:  I found myself having to blink so much more with contacts that it became an annoyance...or when the contact would get a little tiny tear in it and ruin my morning. 

Though, I do miss how clear contacts allow your vision to be. It outdoes even fresh, new clean glasses.  :yay:

(edited)

I wouldn't do contacts, really. Putting that crap in your eyes, I can barely put in eye drops!

I was talking to this one chick and she told me about one time she tried to take her contacts out but she sat there for like 5 minutes trying to pick it out when she realized she didn't have them in... that had to hurt.

To me laser eye surgery is something that makes me nervous. With contacts you can take them out or stop using them whenever. With the surgery- that's permanent. What if something goes wrong? :o

post-24370-0-85539800-1427400148_thumb.jpg

LOL I had to put that!! ^_^

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

To me laser eye surgery is something that makes me nervous. With contacts you can take them out or stop using them whenever. With the surgery- that's permanent. What if something goes wrong? :o

attachicon.giflaserderp.jpg

LOL I had to put that!! ^_^

Lol exactly! That's why I just stick to glasses =P

I wore some coloured contacts for some cosplay at Comicon but i had to take them out halfway through the day because my eyes felt so weird O_o

Dont think I'll be getting actual contacts. Ima stick with glasses O_O

(edited)

I wear glasses, and I really don't like contacts. It looks so unpleasant to wear. Just...ugh.

I've never tried but I don't want to.

It doesn't feel like anything when you have them in. Your eyes get used to you putting them in and taking them out too. You don't even blink and it really doesn't feel like much.

The only bad thing is when you put a contact on inside out, where it's flared like the end of a trumpet/horn instead of a cereal bowl.

That really is THE WORST POSSIBLE THING!!!!! :blink::angry::blush:

Terrible! :baconmane:

post-24370-0-94182300-1427498546.jpeg

Seriously, you'll only make that mistake once. It's THAT bad.

I have tried with them but here in the UK the optician his to fit them first to see if they fit your retina.

I always flinch whenever he gets the contact close to my eye...

So yeah, I would like contacts and I think they would be useful for sailing and school (short-sighted (near-sighted)) but no dice.

THEY put the contact on your eye?!?! :confused:

Edited by Cirrus.

(edited)

I have no desire to put thin, transparent things into my eyes. My eyes are very sensitive. I can't even do eye drops. I look better with glasses on anyway.

I was in the same boat for years.

Come to think of it, it was kinda like checking out MLP.

"I would never like something like that" I told myself. ;):umad:

Edited by Cirrus.

I honestly don't really want to switch to contacts. I don't just love the idea of putting something very small in my eye. Also there's all that extra work mentioned in the OP, currently with glasses I can just throw my glasses in a drawer (Haven't used a case in years) And occasionally clean them. The only reason I would want to get contacts is for more comfortable over ear headphones. (over-ear headphones are much more comfortable without glasses on than with them)

• 4 weeks later...

I wore contacts at a certain time but my eyes would often get too irritated and I just couldn't take it anymore. So I just wear glasses now.