Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Something That is Bugging Me

Gearbox10mm

(edited)

OK, this has been bugging the crap out of me.

In the S5E1 episode when the mane six first reach the town Pinkie says "Stay behind me everypony, I'm on it." and then Applejack says "Careful Pinkie!"

What the heck was up with Applejack's voice?

Someone please tell me that was supposed to be a joke/reference to something because I can't believe they would let such a bad line of dialogue slip past quality control.  

Edited by Gearbox10mm
  • Brohoof 5

In the S5E1 episode when the mane six first reach the town Pinkie says "Stay behind me everypony, I've got this." and then Applejack says "Careful Pinkie!"

Someone please tell me that was supposed to be a joke/reference to something because I can't believe they would let such a bad line of dialog slip past quality control.  

I noticed that too! 

My theory is that they added that line in after the episode was done, but couldn't get AJ's voice actor (don't remember her name off the top of my head) on short notice just for that one line, so they had someone they had on hand do it and prayed that no one noticed. 

In the S5E1 episode when the mane six first reach the town Pinkie says "Stay behind me everypony, I've got this." and then Applejack says "Careful Pinkie!"

Someone please tell me that was supposed to be a joke/reference to something because I can't believe they would let such a bad line of dialog slip past quality control.  

In all honesty it was probably just because of the voice actor's limitations. You can only do so much in a voice. Although I like to think of it as AJ being a late bloomer to pony puberty XD

I thought it was just an audio mistake, or like everyone else said it was put in there after production. It was soooo weird! I thought I would be the only one who noticed!

In all honesty it was probably just because of the voice actor's limitations. You can only do so much in a voice. Although I like to think of it as AJ being a late bloomer to pony puberty XD

Or maybe aj just had a dry throat saying that line.  shrug

Oh, geeze, I didn't catch this.  Now I have to watch it again.  But stuff like this happens sometimes.  For instance, I'd said before that I am absolutely convinced that Luna was voiced by Nicole Oliver (instead of Tabitha) during the scene when she helps Sweetie Belle with the dolphin center stitch on Sapphire Shore's headdress.

Well you go back to Season 1 and Applejack had a really high pitched voice. I think Ashley Ball is trying to differenate her characters and so keeps giving Applejack a deeper and deeper voice as we go along, but that line was uncharacteristically deep 

I've seen this in shows before... in one anime I watch, the voices are very inconsistent. One of the characters suddenly had a lot deeper voice then usual, and in the next sentence, he sounded normal again. :P

Maybe the MLP producers just didn't notice, or maybe it had something to do with the voice actress trying to put on a warning tone of voice.

Maybe they recorded the voice with Ashleigh yelling at the top of an actual mountaintop? ;)

...hey, you never know. :ph34r:

Yeah but seriously I didn't think she sounded akl that different there. I wouldn't think too much about it. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

I noticed that too. I've seen Hasbro shit for over around 25 years, and I've never heard them make that mistake before lol.

Well you go back to Season 1 and Applejack had a really high pitched voice. I think Ashley Ball is trying to differenate her characters and so keeps giving Applejack a deeper and deeper voice as we go along, but that line was uncharacteristically deep 

Yeah. I went back and watched some episodes during the super duper long off-season, and your right, Applejack's voice was really high in Season 1. Same with Applebloom (but I think that is more Michelle getting older than intentional characterization.)

Maybe its just me but I really do not hear anything unusual. Sure it is a bit deeper but within the range Applejack should have. If you word a warning, you automatically speak different and in this case it is a warning but nothing the adressed character cannot see coming.

If someone is about to do something stupid and I say "I wouldn't do that if I were you." I also tend to speak a little lower than usual while if I spell out a warning to turn the attention of the listener to an urgent matter, I tend to speak a little higher pitched (for example "Look out!").

The deeper voice used in the former case automatically carries a certain weight for the adressed person while the latter higher pitched warning carries urgency.

I noticed it too, and I kind of wondered if there was an audio problem with the video I was watching, but then the rest of the episode happened and I completely forgot about it until now. Someone definitly messed up there. :P