Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Place the power! (read post before voting)

AmberDust

How strong is this unicorn? (minor and major)  

35 users have voted

1. 1. How strong is Rarity's magic?

• Level 1
    • Level 2
    • Level 3
    • Level 4
    • Level 5
    • Higher (comment)
  2. 2. How strong are Flim and Flam's magic?

• Level 1
    • Level 2
    • Level 3
    • Level 4
    • Level 5
    • Higher (comment)
  3. 3. How strong is Trixie's magic?

• Level 1
    • Level 2
    • Level 3
    • Level 4
    • Level 5
    • Higher (comment)
  4. 4. How strong is Starlight Glimmer's magic? (season 5)

• Level 1
    • Level 2
    • Level 3
    • Level 4
    • Level 5
    • Higher (comment)
  5. 5. How Strong is King Sombra's magic?

• Level 5 or lower
    • Level 6
    • Level 7
    • Level 8
    • Level 9
    • Level 10
  6. 6. How strong is Shining Armour's Magic?

• Level 5 or lower (comment)
    • Level 6
    • Level 7
    • Level 8
    • Level 9
    • Level 10
  7. 7. How strong is Sunset Shimmer's magic?

• Level 6
    • Level 7
    • Level 8
    • Level 9
    • Level 10
  8. 8. How strong was Twilight's magic pre-alicornhood?

• Level 6
    • Level 7
    • Level 8
    • Level 9
    • Level 10
  9. 9. How strong is Starswirl The Bearded's magic?

• Level 5 or lower
    • Level 6
    • Level 7
    • Level 8
    • Level 9
    • Level 10

She finished Starlight's spell to become an alicorn, not the other way around.

I guess I wasn't very clear on that one. When she finished Starswirl's spell, she'd obviously passed Starlight in power.

I was actually touching on the fact that she either created an entirely new spell to counteract Discord's magic, or she learned that spell on hand. In either case, that only took her a few hours between learning and the time of activation.

Personally I don't see spells that don't work as a good accomplishment. It's like an invention that doesn't do what is was supposed to: the creator may be a genius, but it just didn't work out that time.

Twilight is the only unicorn with actual feats of heavy lifting via telekinesis, so i'm not sure where this comes from.

We don't know how much weight affects telekinetic ability. This may be a poor assumption on my part.

The Changelings in Swarm of the Century, although I give you Bats.

I wouldn't call tricking the parasprites into eating things instead of food genetic manipulation.

I'm not trying to say Twilight was a weak unicorn, it's just that Starlight's magic being strong enough to rip away cutie marks has me thinking that she's stronger than Twilight was as a unicorn.

(edited)

Just in case there was any confusion...

When is say we're rating Twilight "pre-Alicornhood", I don't mean Season 1 Twilight. I mean RIGHT before Alicornhood. :P

Also, this magic scale doesn't only affect unicorns. This is the scale for all magic. Rather, all "active" forms of magic, compared to the passive forms used by Pegasi and Earth ponies.

Discord, Celestia, Tirek, Luna, and artefacts like the Crystal Heart and Elements of Harmony would all place somewhere on this scale, not above it.

Edited by AmberDust

How I break it down.

Level 1 - Minimal Magical Abilities

Zecora

Level 2 - Base Level Unicorn

Sweetie Belle

Level 3 - Average Unicorn

Flim & Flam

Rarity

all background / secondary unicorns

Level 4 - Above average Unicorn

Trixie

filly Twilight

Level 5 - Advanced Unicorn

season 1 Twilight

Sunset Shimmer

Level 6 - Master Level Unicorn 

season 3 Twilight

Shining Armour

Starlight Glimmer

Level 7 - Basic Alicorn

season 4+ Twilight

Cadence

Trixie + Alicorn Amulet

Level 8 - Ultimate Unicorn Ability     

Sombra

Star Swirl

Level 9 - Ascended (god like) Alicorn

Celestia

Luna

Nightmare Moon

Chrysalis

Level 10 - Ultimate Power

Discord

full power Tirek

alicorn power infused Twilight

mane 6 + Elements of Harmony

Shining Armour + Cadence's Love Spell

Keep in mind that at each power level there is still some wiggle room as to actual strength. For instance, Chrysalis and Celestia both rate a level 9 but Chrysalis was the stronger of the two.

Edited by Gearbox10mm
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

How I break it down.

Level 1 - Minimal Magical Abilities

Zecora

Level 2 - Base Level Unicorn

Sweetie Belle

Level 3 - Average Unicorn

Flim & Flam

Rarity

all background / secondary unicorns

Level 4 - Above average Unicorn

Trixie

filly Twilight

Level 5 - Advanced Unicorn

season 1 Twilight

Sunset Shimmer

Level 6 - Master Level Unicorn

season 3 Twilight

Shining Armour

Starlight Glimmer

Level 7 - Basic Alicorn

season 4+ Twilight

Cadence

Trixie + Alicorn Amulet

Level 8 - Ultimate Unicorn Ability

Sombra

Star Swirl

Level 9 - Ascended (god like) Alicorn

Celestia

Luna

Chrysalis

Level 10 - Ultimate Power

Discord

full power Tirek

alicorn power infused Twilight

mane 6 + Elements of Harmony

Shining Armour + Cadence's Love Spell

Keep in mind that at each power level there is still some wiggle room as to actual strength. For instance, Chrysalis and Celestia both rate a level 9 but Chrysalis was the stronger of the two.

Props to Zecora for multiclassing

I mostly agree with you, but I would switch "basic Alicorn" with "Ultimate Unicorn". Twilight becoming an Alicorn marked her surpassing Starswirl in strength...and I also think I would put Cadence a bit lower. Sure, she's an Alicorn, but she was born a Pagasus, and I don't think her power or know-how it on par with Twilight or even Starswirl. :)

Edited by AmberDust

I mostly agree with you, but I would switch "basic Alicorn" with "Ultimate Unicorn". Twilight becoming an Alicorn marked her surpassing Starswirl in strength...and I also think I would put Cadence a bit lower. Sure, she's an Alicorn, but she was born a Pagasus, and I don't think her power or know-how it on par with Twilight or even Starswirl. :)

This would not work. Sombra was just a unicorn but was still more powerful than alicorn Cadence. This proves that specially advanced unicorns could surpass low level alicorns.  

I don't know, it's a little hard to say exactly just how strong Star Swirl was. I think he was much more advanced than Twilight is at this point considering he was Twilight's teacher's teacher.

How do we know she was born a Pegasus? I've not heard that theory being canon. Anyway, she is still very powerful, being able to hold Sombra at bay when Shining Armour could not. I would put Cadence just a hair above alicorn Twilight in power.   

(edited)

This would not work. Sombra was just a unicorn but was still more powerful than alicorn Cadence. This proves that specially advanced unicorns could surpass low level alicorns.

I don't know, it's a little hard to say exactly just how strong Star Swirl was. I think he was much more advanced than Twilight is at this point considering he was Twilight's teacher's teacher.

How do we know she was born a Pegasus? I've not heard that theory being canon. Anyway, she is still very powerful, being able to hold Sombra at bay when Shining Armour could not. I would put Cadence just a hair above alicorn Twilight in power.

Okay, I'll agree with your first point for now.

I believe StarSwirl was surpassed by Twilight in the episode where she became an Alicorn. That's how she was able to finish the spell he attempted to make. That may be a show of brains instead of magic, but I think those two sort of go hand in hand.

Regarding Cadece's origin...it was never stated in the show, but it was stated in books and in an interview that Cadence was born a Pegasus.

In fact, Faust never planned on her being an Alicorn! :P Not that that really means much.

(P.S. Luna and Celestia aren't "ascended" Alicorns like Twilight and Cadence. They were born Alicorns.)

Edited by AmberDust

I say "ascended" in the sense that, when they are at full power, they are immortal and are for all intents and purposes gods.

When Nightmare Moon was defeated, Luna reverted back into her basic alicorn form. At that point she would have been at Twilight and Cadence's power level. When she returns she had regained her full power and flowing mane and had in a sense ascended back into being a god.   

Rarity would have to be a level two. She can perform a few more spells above the level of an average Unicorn.

I would say Flim & Flam would be a level three. They have enough magic to power machinery, so it they must have very high stamina.

I would that Trixie is a level four. Powerful enough to cast a wide variety of magical spells.

Starlight Glimmer is at least a level seven. She has the power to remove Cutie Marks, the essence of a pony's destiny and what they stand for!

King Sombra is a level eight. Dark Magic is Dark Magic.

Shinning Armor is only about a level five. He can cast a huge shield... and that's it. As far as we've seen at least.

Sunset Shimmer is also a level five. Exceptionally magically talented; enough to be Princess Celestia's student.

Twilight pre-Alicorn was about a six. Probably the strongest Unicorn in the world at that point.

Star Swirl's a level seven. I would he's about at the upper limits of power a Unicorn can obtain through conventional methods.

And, if Discord's a ten, then Tirek must be a fifty, and if he's a fifty, then the Elements of Harmony must be a *computer explodes*.