Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If Flash Sentry wasn't in EG1&2

4amchirpchirp

He was pretty useless in the first movie, but Rainbow Rocks would be a little lacking without him. He was actually a fairly big part of the whole "Battle of the Bands" conflict, despite what people say.

That said, I would be sad if there was no Flash Sentry. What would I troll Twilight fans with?

Edited by RadioSilence
  • Brohoof 1

It wouldn't change the storyline of the first movie all that much, but at the very least he had a part to play in RR, even if it was still minor.

Still, I'd hate to lose him. Not that interesting, but a nice character is still a nice character. :)

• Brohoof 1

I'd be fine with it, then I wouldn't feel so competitive for my waifu, haha. The story would probably change, but not that much, I wouldn't guess. I don't think he played too significant of a role in either movie.

• Brohoof 1

Luna would've kicked out Twilight for destroying stuffs and Flash wouldn't make Twilight cry  :yay:

If he wasn't in EG...... it will change certain things. 

Edited by Bridal Masked Simon

Nothing would change, he has no importance in either movies, you could argue that it would change because of the whole "love" thing going on between them but Twilight says they were friends in RR, so they aren't a couple more like acquaintances, and as far as I'm concerned removing an acquaintance would do nothing to the story. 

How much of the storyline would change if Flash sentry wasn't in the Equestria Girls movies?

Well, he made a bigger impact in the fandom than in the FiM canon, so, not much  :P

• Brohoof 1

What would change? NOTHING!

Seriously, you could drop Flash from every scene he's in and it would not effect the movies at all. The only scene that's required to happen is him saving Twilight from trouble with Luna, something her friends could have easily done and would have made the central message stronger.

Luna would've kicked out Twilight for destroying stuffs and Flash wouldn't make Twilight cry  :yay:

If he wasn't in EG...... it will change certain things. 

See my above post for my response.

I think the only noticeable thing Flash had a hand in was the first film when he told vice-principle Luna that the photos were forged and to be honest that roll could have been done by anyone.  

Again, see the above for how that would be easily fixed.

He was pretty useless in the first movie, but Rainbow Rocks would be a little lacking without him. He was actually a fairly big part of the whole "Battle of the Bands" conflict, despite what people say.

That said, I would be sad if there was no Flash Sentry. What would I troll Twilight fans with?

What "big part" are you referring to? All he did was compete like everyone else did. You could have left him out of the first movie, dropped his dialogue for the second and nothing would have changed.

Trixie played a bigger part in the plot than he did and for beleivable reasons that were in-character to her.

• Brohoof 1

It would become less cliched.

To an extent. EQG1/2 would still suck either way.

Walking Cardboard's presence in this film is to be merely Twilight's pointless love interest. To echo @@Steel Accord, cutting him out from the film would've done literally nothing to either film.

Walking Cardboard's presence in this film is to be merely Twilight's pointless love interest. To echo @Steel Accord, cutting him out from the film would've done literally nothing to either film.

I agree with this part.

Twilight did not need a love interest, and even if she did, could you imagine a guy less suited for the job than Flash? I mean, what do the two have in common? What do they talk about? They have zero chemistry with one another! All they do is look at each other while one or that other stutters and blushes. That is not romance, that's a high school crush. That's what really bugs me, Flash's entire existence is a box to tick. He's just a shallow archetype to fulfill another high school trope that was not in service to the story and in fact ground it to a halt. The high school niches, school wide competition, fall formal climax? All those tropes worked because they were in line with the story and the message of both movies.

It is for those reasons that I sincerely believe that from what little of the clips I've seen, Edward and Bella are a more convincing couple!

:o  :wacko:  . . . . . . Yeah Ah said it!  :angry:

Completely disagree with this point though. 1 was pretty good, 2 was a massive improvement. Flash is the biggest drawback to both movies. 

So, is Flash a contest prize Twilight gets to win?

Does he serve a single cardboard purpose?

Is his personality "I'm cute, I'm in a band, and I'm your enemy's forbidden boyfriend"?

Are there any other male characters in the movie with talking parts that he talks to?

Does he talk about anything besides Twilight?

If the answers are yes, yes, yes, no, no, then he is simply playing the role assigned to women in movies since forever. Interesting it's noticed when a male is in the role. I wonder if this was subtly intended as commentary. In any case, I think those of us who are men need to quit whining. We've been writing women this way for aeons. It's time we got our own back.

• Brohoof 1

What "big part" are you referring to? All he did was compete like everyone else did. You could have left him out of the first movie, dropped his dialogue for the second and nothing would have changed.

It created conflict/suspense for him to be competing against the main cast.

Interesting it's noticed when a male is in the role. I wonder if this was subtly intended as commentary.

I highly doubt it. When both movies play stereotypes straight and badly, then the idea that Flash is a parody makes no sense.

In any case, I think those of us who are men need to quit whining. We've been writing women this way for aeons. It's time we got our own back.

That doesn't make it okay. A premise of the whole show is about subverting antifeminist cliches and stereotypes. Flash Sentry plays a stereotype completely straight, and the spinoff's narrative celebrates it. In its core, Flash Sentry is completely antifeminist.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

My honest personal opinion; it wouldn't affect the story that much at all. He was only put in it to be a crush for Twilight, sure he helped by finding those pictures, but anyone could have noticed them and it should have been easy to notice that those pictures were fake. Also, I don't understand how it is that people think he had more of a role in RR, every scene they had him appear in would have worked just as well with him not being there.

• Brohoof 1

Good point Dark Qiviut. So do you think Flash was only thrown in as a mandate from marketing people or higher-up executives?

Also, so far the show has been very little focused on romance, but with the "more mature" high school setting, it would seem like a really good time to talk about it. Especially since we've firmly established these characters have more going for them than boys.

Even without addressing romance, I really liked the message of EG. Maybe all girl-targeted shows address romance too much. There's other stuff that's important.

• Brohoof 1

It created conflict/suspense for him to be competing against the main cast.

Suspense that was never commented on by anyone and only showed up in ONE scene which could have been excised entirely.

The competition was loosing the battle the whole time, that was the point. Twilight thought that all it would take is some magical song but every round was feeding into the Dazzling's power. The Mane Six and Flash's band were never even stacked against each other in the tournament bracket! Again, TRIXIE was the bigger musical threat as the Six were pitted against them.

Walking Cardboard's presence in this film is to be merely Twilight's pointless love interest. To echo @@Steel Accord, cutting him out from the film would've done literally nothing to either film.

Well, they'd have about ~3 minutes of runtime to do anything with.

The movie's already shit, so I have no ideas.

• Brohoof 1

In the first movie someone else would of had to do the photo thing.

In the second movie they would of had to find someone else to make Twilight cry. 

Honestly I don't think it would make a huge impact. Personally I would like the pony version of him be given real character. 

In the first movie someone else would of had to do the photo thing.

In the second movie they would of had to find someone else to make Twilight cry.

Honestly I don't think it would make a huge impact. Personally I would like the pony version of him be given real character.

That would require his human counterpart being in possession of a character in the first place.

That was meant to be a jab for the purpose of humor.

Well, they'd have about ~3 minutes of runtime to do anything with.

The movie's already shit, so I have no ideas.

How about having Twilight's friends save her with the photo evidence? That would be something.

I disagree in that I think both are great movies. Really Flash is all I have to complain about them.

How about having Twilight's friends save her with the photo evidence? That would be something.

I disagree in that I think both are great movies. Really Flash is all I have to complain about them.

Good idea.

Or maybe have the whole plot of the movie being Twily having to steal the crown and them having to cut out flash because they needed more runtime for better plot?