Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Age-appropriateness ratings, especially for North American TV for children's television, mean hardly anything in terms of "objectionable" content and are nowadays more or less an advertisement suggesting what demographic would be likely interested in it.

The average three-year old does not get traumatized by "Twilight's Kingdom" or "The Cutie Map" because they don't have the life experience to process how "dark" the themes are. Sorta like how that one scene in The Lion King didn't faze me as a little kid, how i thought certain scenes were funny in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and how Toy Story 3 was scary for me as a nineteen-year-old.

A couch-potato excess of movie, and TV watching and videogame "playing" is way more the bigger issue than being exposed to "violent content".

If Cars 2 can be rated G, and two-year olds can see Frozen without it being "too scary", then MLP is not being held back.

I wouldn't mind a theatrical movie being rated PG.

Most people here are saying the Cutie Map episode because it in some way deals with communism. I actually didn't see how until I heard people on the forums mention it. I can see it now, but for younger audiences, maybe it would be a little harder for them to pick it up, eh?

I think there are some pretty good examples of pushing the boundary in this thread.

...I can't believe I never noticed it before. 

Most people here are saying the Cutie Map episode because it in some way deals with communism. I actually didn't see how until I heard people on the forums mention it. I can see it now, but for younger audiences, maybe it would be a little harder for them to pick it up, eh?

I agree with this. I have trouble seeing the kids picking up on communism without their parents mentioning it.

Though really, "The Cutie Map" dealt more with "conformity" than "communism". There's a subtle difference.

King Sombra in general.

While his screentime and lines did suck, he still had a plethora of dark and gritty effects on everything and everypony.

Not to mention being blown to bits

• 1 month later...

Nothing really seemed beyond limits to me but maybe that is because I'm a little kid and no scene ever looked scary or sad enough to make me cry because I'm not a little seven year old.