I mean, they control and manage

the weather via clouds and know

how they should let the weather be.

Thus for their actions upon changing the

weather, they must know WHY, they

change it. Because they studied it

beforehand, and they have experience

knowing about the subject.

They probably co-ordinate the weather pattterns with the earth ponies for maximum crop yield which is why Equestria is such all is well kind of place because it produces more than enough crop to support its economy thanks to Pegasi weather control.

As far as I know, meteorologists only observe and predict weather not create their own so they're much more than that. Cloudsdale probably has a massive weather control center which is also where RD reports for work.

They probably co-ordinate the weather pattterns with the earth ponies for maximum crop yield which is why Equestria is such all is well kind of place because it produces more than enough crop to support its economy thanks to Pegasi weather control.

As far as I know, meteorologists only observe and predict weather not create their own so they're much more than that. Cloudsdale probably has a massive weather control center which is also where RD reports for work.

what would that make those workers

who forecast weather on the news?

would they be out of a job?

what would that make those workers

who forecast weather on the news?

would they be out of a job?

Maybe there would be a local meteorology station set up in a town and the pegasi who operate said station would gather up the day's/week's current weather plans and send it to the local news to be broadcasted by the forecasters.

Thats the only way I can see this working though.

Edited by MalusNight

I mean, I would assume so. Although Unicorns/Alicorns can also control the weather, maybe it gives the Pegasi more purpose? Or maybe they're better at it?

Nah, Twilight had a telescope before she was an alicorn, and Rainbow Dash is a lazy fuck XD (lets be honest with day to day work here, she never does shit in most episodes  :dash: )

but it wouldn't stop them from getting telescopes and shit. Though what you've said seems like a good theory.

Maybe they are in the sense that they predict the weather, and if they don't like the way the weather is going to be, they change it.

With human-like science, an Earth pony or even a non-pony with no magic can predict the weather. But perhaps there are no meteorological radar tools in Equestria right now and you have to be at a high elevation or in the clouds to detect naturally occurring weather, and pegasi just so happen to live that lifestyle by default. it could also be that their wings/feathers detect weather.

Being pegasi they must have some knowledge of meteorology, but each of them has their own job (for example Fluttershy's job has nothing to do with meteorology).

I think it's just a "bonus" or something they have to learn just like unicorns with magic.

Edited by Blobulle

Since certain natural laws like weather for example are so drastically different in Equestria than on earth I would say no. Pegasi control of the weather is more like a form of magic while meteorology is more like a science which are two different skill sets.

I don't think ALL Pegasi work in weather, but Rainbow Dash's Cutie Mark is weather related. (Cloud and rainbow colored lightening bolt) It makes sense that she works in weather control. Would what she and the other weather Pegasi do be called meteorologenesis? 

One more thing. I'd like to see a slice of life episode dealing with Rainbow on a typical day at work. We could see her arrive just in a nick of time to clock in, and then sit all bored and sleepy in the morning assignments meeting. She'd probably have her own team working under her, since she was in charge of lifting the water to the weather center, and had a key position in Winter Round-up.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

Well, that assume that the concept and science of meteorology not only exists within Equestria, but also that it is studied and researched in a matter that we, as humans, are familiar with.

It's been mentioned in the thread already, but Pegasi control when and where certain weather patterns occur. Does that make then meteorologists? Not necessarily, but that doesn't mean that meteorology doesn't exist within the ranks of the weather ponies.

• 1 month later...

Well, it seems pretty much all Pegasi can move clouds & control the weather to some extent.  IMO, this is sort of the Pegasi equivalent of a job at a fast food joint.  You can't get a better job, you get a job in either delivery or pushing clouds.

Dash seems to be head of the Ponyville pegasi, as show in episode 1 & Winter Wrap Up.  This is sort of like being ast manager at McDonalds.  That is, you do some scheduling, payroll records & maybe order supplies.

The higher ups probably have meteorology training & coordinate the weather for all Equestria (Hinted at in Hurricane Fluttershy) but the typical Pegasus has only the very basics, if that.  Of course, you probably pick up a fair amount on the job.