confused with their logic. I never found

an accurate answer to this.

Now for something a bit more

specific, what issues of the MLP

comic series are canon to the show?

And what about the daring do books, are

they tellign me those adventures happened

a long time ago, in equestria far away?

Technically EQG is canon, but I prefer to think it's not. I hope it's not. 

The IDW comics could be canon, but if you want to stay safe, consider it non canon.

As for the DD books, you didn't watch Daring Don't didn't you? AK. Yearling or whatever is her name is Daring Do, and she is not from a long time ago. RD and the Mane 6 actually helped her in her most recent adventure.

Equestria Girls could be cannon but I haven't heard any confirmation one way or another on that, as for the comics I think they are their own alternate universe with some possibly being cannon and other probably not being cannon.

I consider everything officially produced to be canon until proven otherwise. To me, it just means that more stories in this world have some sort of impact and that increases the immersion for me, which is a big part of how I consume and enjoy media. Some people don't like Equestria Girls and/or the comics and would prefer to think of them as non-canon. That's fine, it's not my place to tell them how to enjoy something they like.

My overall point, though, would be that it's generally not a productive thing to discuss (argue about) since it's pretty much a matter of head-canon as of now, and Hasbro isn't exactly going to suddenly be more clear about any time soon.

Edited by TenorSounds

EQG is canon, it takes place in the FiM universe (partly) and is consistent with the show's storyline, so I consider it canon. But I think it's okay if you don't like or just didn't watch it and don't want to consider it canon since it doesn't really affect what happens in FiM.

The comics...idk, it's hard to tell because I haven't read them all, but I consider them more like optional extras? (Which basically means if something happens that I like I consider it canon/incorporate it into my idea of the MLP universe, but I just ignore the stuff I don't like or doesn't seem to make sense :P)

As far as I know here is how it works.

A-canon: The TV show is the standard bearer of all canon in regards to FiM. If anything conflicts with the show, the show wins out.

B-canon: This includes the following:

-The Equestria Girls movies

-The IDW comic line

-The Journal of the Two Sisters

-The various chapter books

-The Daring Do books

In essense B-canon follows A-canon, but that doesn't mean A-canon will follow B-canon. Equestria Girls definitely takes place, but has no effect on the show. Likewise the comics also take place unless there is a major contradiction to the show canon.

Keep in mind that continuity errors are common throughout media, and that doesn't necessarily make one thing non-canon.

• Brohoof 3

All the comics and Equestria girls are canon but they're not the main thing. The main thing is the show itself so that's the real canon and if there is anything in the comics or Equestria girls that conflicts with what happens in the show then it is not canon.

In my opinion, EQG, the comics, the chapter books, and all sources not the show are "Optional" canon. You can consider them canon if you want, but if you don't want to, you don't have to. They can fit into the show's universe just fine, but aren't necessary.

You can point out contradictions, but the show contradicts itself sometimes too, and I can't think of any fictional universe that doesn't have a contradiction somewhere in there, so I don't think a small contradiction is enough to outright say something can't be considered canon if you don't want.

Equestria Girls definitely takes place, but has no effect on the show.

That's not entirely true. Flash Sentry first appeared in the show only after he appeared in EQG. So EQG did have an impact on the cannon of the show. This proves that EQG is show cannon.

That's not entirely true. Flash Sentry first appeared in the show only after he appeared in EQG. So EQG did have an impact on the cannon of the show. This proves that EQG is show cannon.

A cameo by itself doesn't really say much to whether EqG is canon or not. Granted I believe it to be canon, but my point stands.

However it also brings to mind another point in that I doubt the show staff take the concept of 'canon' all THAT seriously. As it stands while the show is tops, anything else can be subjective. As it stands while I do count the comics as a whole as canon some individual issues I could at not 100% canon; like the Rainbow Dash micro.

As I said I believe in the concept of A-canon and B-canon, but it's still largely up to the fan to decide.

• Brohoof 1

I consider the comics canon until the show proves them otherwise. Like if the comics say that RD hates carrots, but the show says she does. Then the show over rules the comics.

However I am not sure about the movies. I'm leaning towards cannon, but at the same time I don't want to.

No one quite knows who or what is. The memories you have, and the entertainment you consumed are stories you experienced. It doesn't matter if they were canon or not. That's never the point.

There's no such thing in fiction as absolute lore. Most of what they call canon is subject to change. What you think took place is only as real as your brain tells you it is.

It's not whether you are right or wrong, but what you found enjoyable as a story, that decides the lore. Friendship is Magic is kind of an ongoing spin-off too, come to think of it....

Listen, don't obsess over continuity so much. Find the stories you liked the most, then decide. You can interpret your own storyline. And whatever you choose will be for you.

I know you don't have much choice when it comes to something written by someone else. But everything you felt, thought about during the stories you experienced are yours. And what you decide to do with them is your choice. Choose your own canon.

How's that for a pretentious inspirational speech?

Edited by SpaceOnion

I think I read someday that Andy Price said you can consider the comics comics or not, but you won't see Luna's childish personality in the show, for exemple. They have some plot holes, but I consider them canon, personnaly. 

For a very long time I thought EQG was canon because it was the same animation, same writers, same spirit etc. unlike the comics, which I considered non-canon.

But now I don't care anymore x) if you think something is canon, then it's canon, it won't change anything anyway.

Without having a stable understanding of what "canon" even really means, I think one of the writers confirmed that EqG is canon.

There really isn't a definitive answer, even amongst the staff. Hasbro considers everything officially liscensed canon, McCarthy seems to consider EQG and the Journal of the Two Sisters canon but not the comics, and some of the comic staff wants the comics to be considered canon. I haven't heard their thoughts on the chapter books, but I remember reading about a major contradiction in the first one. I haven't heard about whether the others have had contradictions or not.

Personally what I do is just accept what seems to fit into my headcanon and conviently pretend the comics that sucked never happened. :P

I think I read someday that Andy Price said you can consider the comics comics or not, but you won't see Luna's childish personality in the show, for exemple. They have some plot holes, but I consider them canon, personnaly. 

Luna actually DOES have a childish personality in the show (which is also shown in the comics, and Journal of the Two Sisters as well). I don't understand why people can't (or choose) not to see it.

• Brohoof 2

Luna actually DOES have a childish personality in the show (which is also shown in the comics, and Journal of the Two Sisters as well). I don't understand why people can't (or choose) not to see it.

As much I adore Luna the problem with her in the show is that she is crowded out and outside of her appearance in Luna Eclipsed, in which she definitely had a child-like demeanor, we don't get to much of her. The latest episodes featuring her show that she is a mentor and a guide. What the show fails to show us is how Luna is when the fate of the world isn't at stake and when big celebrations are going on.

That's what the comics give us, and like with Celestia in Relfections, they help to define her character much more deeply. But yeah, like you said, she has exhibited a child-like wonder on the show.

Meghan McCarthy, Brian Lenard, Jayson Thiesson and Mike Vogel are responsible for approving stories made by IDW comics nd GM Berow in her books. So if you count them as Lauren Faust replacement, then all of them are canon and happen in same universe.

I never understood the problem here, either. She's goofy and light-hearted when things are relaxed, but she knows when it's time to be serious. Which was what most of her show appearances were. In the comics we get to see a little more of how she acts when the fate of the world isn't on the line.

PathfinderCS basically nailed it on how the canon priority of things work with this brand.

Adding a bit to that. Meghan McCarthy mentioned at PonyCon AUS that the comics and books are their own thing and if the show doesn't mention or show it (with GM Berrow sitting next to her), it didn't necessarily happened. Jim Miller mentioned the comics and the show will remain seperate. Bobby Curnow also mentioned something along those lines.  So at the least, core staff that works with the various continuity branches seem to want to keep the show continuity as versatile as possibly without compromising it to what happens in a book or comic barely a small percentage of the viewers know even exists.

Well, not that kind of one. I meant the one she has in the comics. But I agree, she has a childish personality, but a little bit different from the comics