Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Older seasons VS Newer seasons.

Deano

Do you prefer the older/newer seasons?  

33 users have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the older/newer seasons?

• Older (Seasons 1 to 3)
    • Newer (Seasons 4 to 5)

This is something i've been meaning to post, but could never find the time. Here it is!

Do you prefer the older seasons (S1,2,3) to the newer ones (4,5), or vice versa?

I kinda prefer the old ones. They make me laugh and smile a lot more. It seems an innocent time when the show was more about the growing friendship about a few characters, yet now it's just big ol' Princess Twilight dragging her way-too-serious friends around Equestria where they can do no wrong. Of course that statement was a little too strong, but it's the best way I could word it. The new stuff is still good, hence I'm still an avid fan, but I wish it coul be a little more like the good old days of 2010.

So what do y'all think? Smack a reply in the south.

Edited by Nectar Bluegrass
  • Brohoof 1

Oh look, something that's like comparing apples to oranges.

In reality, it depends on tastes. The first two seasons was a bit more character driven and the latter 2 were more adventure driven. That's not to say either one didn't have the other but it's just something I think.

They're like 2 different pizza toppings. It depends on which one you like to determine what you'll enjoy more. For me, no matter what the topping, it's still pizza and damn good pizza. That's kind of how it works for me with MLP.

• Brohoof 7

I personally consider season 3 an older season since it's not until the end that Twilicorn happens, and before then it felt more or less like an extension of season 2. As for the question, for me it's no different from comparing old and new episodes of other shows. I can go back and watch one of the first three seasons of The Big Bang Theory and get a different experience than the more recent seasons, and it can be kind of jarring at first to go back, but once I did it enough times it became less and less jarring till I could switch back and forth without so much as blinking, and the same can be said for FiM.

Different seasons do have a different tone to them, and if the series keeps going, I'm sure things will change again and we'll be discussing the merits of three or more periods in the show. Personally I think it's all more or less equally good, with some seasons being better than others, but not necessarily due to differences in the nature of the show. I tend to go by which seasons have my favourite episodes, but they're spread all around, with more of them concentrated in seasons 2 and 4 so far, but I have at least one favourite in every season to date. I may want to watch Testing, Testing, 1,2,3 because it really appeals to me as a student, but I may also want to go back and watch It's About Time, because that episode is just all around great IMHO.

Times may change, but that doesn't make the older seasons worthless, nor does it mean the newer stuff has taken a nose dive off a cliff. It's just different, but at its core, FiM is still FiM so I can't really say I have a preference between the old and the new.

• Brohoof 2

I like all seasons but I had to pick the later ones because I wasn't here when the first ones aired  so the overall feeling and excitement between episodes is different than when i watched all the previous episodes all one after another.

As for the content I think it has been evolving thorough all the seasons and I like where the story is going now 

• Brohoof 3

I can't really say, yet.

Season 1 and Season 2 are obviously what got me into the show and the fandom and while I enjoy them immensely, I also realize that they are not without flaws (the second has two of my most despised episodes, after all.)

Season 3 was rocky due to being cut in half, the disappointing villain, and the rushed finale-leading me to believe that it is the worst in terms of quality-however, it did have a handful of good episodes.

Season 4 felt like a nice return to from because it felt like the writers were finally getting back on track and we were back up to a full twenty-six episodes again with an awesome villain (from G1 no less).

Season 5, I don't feel I can accurately judge as only five episodes have aired and I feel in would be unfair of me to pass judgment before the season is complete.

So, I will probably have a more definitive answer then.

• Brohoof 2

Not sure. The older ones focused in slice of life and character building, and I won't deny it, the excitement of each new episode was stronger back then than now, but that's because FiM was a new world to explore. The latter season overall, feels like they're expanding their boundaries beyond it's main characters and Ponyville compared to older seasons, and they feel somewhat more mature, as if they're growing with their target audience without deviating from it

• Brohoof 2

I can't really say, yet.

Season 1 and Season 2 are obviously what got me into the show and the fandom and while I enjoy them immensely, I also realize that they are not without flaws (the second has two of my most despised episodes, after all.)

Season 3 was rocky due to being cut in half, the disappointing villain, and the rushed finale-leading me to believe that it is the worst in terms of quality-however, it did have a handful of good episodes.

Season 4 felt like a nice return to from because it felt like the writers were finally getting back on track and we were back up to a full twenty-six episodes again with an awesome villain (from G1 no less).

Season 5, I don't feel I can accurately judge as only five episodes have aired and I feel in would be unfair of me to pass judgment before the season is complete.

So, I will probably have a more definitive answer then.

I do feel as if season 1 and 2 had a different feel. I loved them because they were how I started as well. But with season 4 and 5 I feel as if the intensity of the show has really gone up. I like the newer seasons, but the older ones will remain special to me. Also, I refuse to forget about Chrysalis from the end of S2. She needs to be a return villain in the show.  :P

Edited by BlackWater627
  • Brohoof 1

I like all of them, even 3. A part of me likes season 1 the best because of how simple it was even though it had some of the worst episodes of the show (Boast Busters, A Bird in a Hoof, Over A Barrel, and some more, but every season has some awful episodes). Season 4 was the best in terms of how interesting it was, while season 5 is going pretty good except for the boring opener.

I've been rewatching season 1 lately and it's very cute and more relaxing to watch (some season 2 episodes feel that way too), but that's just me. The newer episodes are good too (especially since Pinkie Pride is my favorite episode of the whole show). The seasons just feel more different, and this show is not good at adventure-based episodes imo, it's only really good at slice-of-life.

I don't really like comparing them because of how different they are, but the older episodes are nicer to watch to me. Season 1 and Season 4 are my favorites overall, 5 is going pretty good as I said before.

Edited by Michael De Santa
  • Brohoof 3

I'm  in a gray zone but mostly leaning into seasons 1/2 given they felt more like MLP we loved while seasons 3/4 felt rushed a bit sadly but season 5 is still just starting!

• Brohoof 1

I love all seasons; TBH. I have yet to be disappointed by an overall season; though not all episode have been quality.

Now my favorite season tends to be #4 with #2 second. But saying that, I love season 1 & 3 as well, so that's not saying much. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's not so much the seasons themselves, but individual episodes that are scattered among the seasons that I have problems with

I'd say about a dozen total that I didn't care for. But again, there's a few in each season, so it's hard to choose just by season alone

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 2

I do prefer some seasons to others, I'd rank them like this : 2>4>1>3

But I don't find the new seasons better or worse than the first ones.

Actually I think the quality of this show is very constant.

• Brohoof 1

I personally consider season 3 an older season [...]

^ This.

Season 3 is the last straight away before the curve.  (Of course I would use an analogy related to cars, lol).

Seasons 1, 2, and 3 are the old seasons, and season 4 marked the beginning of the new.  

I know I may catch a lot of slack for what I'm about to say, but...  My single-most ultimate favorite episode is the season 3 finale.   :twi: 

---

That being said, I agree with Chik on this one:

I just can't compare them.  I love them all.  Besides, that's like asking me: "Did you like Green Day in junior high school more than you liked Linkin Park in high school?"  Favoritism of one [thing] in one point in time vs. favoritism of a different [thing] in a different point in time is just incomparable to me.  

One could argue, "Well what about using your current time logic to view both things in retrospect?"  And, I would say: I favored them with equal amounts of favoritism in each my original times subjected to them.  Then one could say, "Does that mean you currently favor the new?"  And I would say: Yes, but that doesn't mean I ever stopped favoring the old.  Which means, I don't actually favor either over the other.

So, with all due respect, I refuse to vote in this thread.  

I respect everyone's opinion on both how they view retrospection and however they may allot favoritism to anything.  

I just happen to see retrospection with an incomparable logic between 2 separate points on a timeline.*

*When, and only when, I did favor the old in its own time, and also favored the new in its own time.  Thus, if you asked about individual episodes, I wouldn't use my retrospective logic, because it wouldn't be comparing a grouping of old [things] to a grouping of more current (new) [things].  Rather, if you asked me about favorite episodes, they would all fall into one single category: old.  Why?  Because they all have been watched.  "Watched" is past tense.  I can't judge favoritism unless I have already seen/experienced the item in subject.  And I wouldn't be judging under the categories of seasons, because I would be judging individual episodes by episode.  Similarly, if you asked me what my favorite season is altogether, without a comparative context of old vs. new, but rather just which season I like the most, it would be comparing seasons by season, and thus would again fall into one category: old.  

However, if I were asked what my favorite season was, I would have to use math.  Why?  Because in my mind, logically, my favorite season would be the season in which has a higher average ratio of favored episodes per season.  Notice I say ratio, and not number.  Not all seasons have the same number of episodes.  (And know that I have not calculated my favorite season yet).  But then I would need to calculate a numerical value for rating each episode, in order to find a value for "number of favored episodes."  A simple way to do this would be to judge each episode on a scale of 10, add together all the amounts I give for the episodes per each season, and divide by the number of episodes per each specific season.  So, for hypothetical purposes to give an example, if I gave the episodes' ratings (on a 10 scale) such that season one's average total rating added to 208, I would divide 208 by 26 because season one has 26 episodes, thus allotting season one the average ratio of 8/10.  (Again, that is hypothetical).  I would then do the same math for the other seasons, but I would divide by 13 for season 3 so that its ratio would be comparable to the others.  

Oh, the quirks of being a very analytical person.   :derp: 

One day... One day I might do that.  Might.  So, it's not a promise.  Lol.

~ Miles

• Brohoof 2

I also think season 3 was an "old" season and not a "new" one.  Rainbow Dash grew and gained potential depth all the way through Season 3.  Then in season 4, they drained the pool, and Dash has been shallow ever since.

I postulate that she made it into the wonderbolts in season 3 episode 7 and they took the show along a different path.  After that, they didn't have Dash's lines anymore.

• Brohoof 1

In reality, it depends on tastes. The first two seasons was a bit more character driven and the latter 2 were more adventure driven. That's not to say either one didn't have the other but it's just something I think.

They're like 2 different pizza toppings. It depends on which one you like to determine what you'll enjoy more. For me, no matter what the topping, it's still pizza and damn good pizza. That's kind of how it works for me with MLP.

Pretty much agree with you there,all person taste and all.  Really dislike when people say "oh i gave up after X season because unjustifeable reason here.  it annoys me so uch that they  give up for one small reason another. it be like doctor who fan giving up the fandom cause it not the tenth  doctor but the 11th it just illogical.

• Brohoof 2

Whatever happend to just enjoying the show, without comparing them by seasons?

• Brohoof 1

Whatever happend to just enjoying the show, without comparing them by seasons?

Who said we aren't just enjoying the show?  

That'd be like your favorite basketball player was LeBron James, and I said, "whatever happened to just enjoying the game without comparing the players?"

Can one not enjoy sports when one has favorite players?  Lol, that's preposterous.  Of course we can still enjoy sports when we have favorite players.  Therefore, we can enjoy MLP:FIM when we still have favorite seasons, episodes, characters, etc.  

Comparisons are a natural part of enjoyment!  Why would anyone willingly make a post about choosing favorites if they didn't enjoy it?  We aren't being forced to compare, we are doing it because we like it.

I find it quite silly to question why people choose favorites.  Life would be boring without favoritism!

~ Miles

I still enjoy the series.  I truly do.  But, I enjoyed DASH in the first three seasons, and the progression of the characters, etc.

Since then, the CMC have evolved, as has Fluttershy.  Luna has been good. 

Season 4 was quite unkind to the rest of the characters.  Season 5 has taken some significant steps to be more consistent and yes season 5 is much better than season 4 was.  Still the damage has been done, and they aren't swinging the pendulum back. 

----

I'd like as many seasons as they are willing to give us, but season 4 will always be the weakest in my eyes, and they have retconned some of the world. 

If I were to say TRAVEL to equestria, I would prefer to arrive in the season 1-3 world.  Season 4-5 has offered a lot of conflicts with how things felt/worked prior to that.  The whole Tirek can suck the life out of all of equestria, and a simple unicorn can remove cutie marks makes for a less pleasant world to live in for the ponies.

(edited)

Well, I gotta pick up the newer seasons. Don't get me wrong, I love the older ones, but I'm eager to see what more interesting things about Equestria will unfold given these seasons will have lots of world building as well as character building, plus, the humble six little mares who are now Ponyville's benevolent rulers will keep developing, getting wiser and stronger as the show goes on.

Edited by Dino-Mario

• 2 weeks later...