Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you used the Pony Creator? What do you think of it?

Prince Lightning Da Cute

I don't know you're feelings on the subject but i feel Pony creator is under-appreciated and kind of discriminated against. There have been multiple occasions when my work was thought to be less genuine because pony creator vectors were used. For us non-talented ponies Pony creator is an Ultimate tool, it allows us to creator nearly everypony we could think of. I will admit, there are time where I've said "Pony Creator! Y U NO..." poses can be made but strictly from the side view which is where most issues seem to come from. Art works that used the program are said to be less than great just because it was used. On Devianart most if not all MLP art groups will not accept anything that used Pony creator. If if because that images using it are horrible and poor quality, then that is a misconception. I will demonstrate what can be done with Pony creator, Photoshop(for transparency) and GIMP, as they are tools of Choice and Trade.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

None NONE of any of these vectors would not have been found nor created without Pony Creator. As i have demostrated Pony creator can serve as a valueless tool of Trade should the artist actually try to learn it.

But what are your thoughts on the subject.

• Brohoof 1

It's not because they're "low-quality" images. It's because most people feel that it takes no skill to make something like this. Or at the very least, a lot less skill than it would take artists drawing the ponies themselves. Anyone can pick up the pony creator and make a masterpiece, but it takes a pretty damn good artist to create one from scratch.

(Which also explains the deviantArt question)

• Brohoof 8

I don't mind pony creator as some people simply do not have the resources or skills to hand draw or personally vector their OCs and make artwork of them.

What I do mind is very very off-the-wall (mostly) alicorn OCs with bat wings and two horns and multi-colored pelts with green splotches and a tentacle thrown in there somewhere. That's a matter of preference so I'm a bit of a true-to-the-show snob.

Conservatively made ponies that are accurate to what could be seen in the show are fine to me.

• Brohoof 13

The pony-creator is a great tool. I can't draw at all so its nice to have.

(and i'm not the kind of guy who likes all that random stuff on an OC but its nice for if I ever get drawing skills)

I personally love Pony Creator. It's fun to play around with when you're bored, plus it's a good reference tool for when I wanna draw an OC but don't know how to do a certain pose :)

I think people don't like it because it's 'too easy to do' or 'not very original'. So? Lots of people use dress 'em ups for their characters because they aren't as artistically inclined. It provides a wide variety of hairstyles and props so people can get their OCs just right without having to draw.

Although, I don't really like the totally overdone alicorns that come out of there...But eh, whatever floats your boat. It's your character after all, do what you want with 'em.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think it's bad, they just don't have my favorite hair style (Cloudchaser namely) Before I was using my own sketch paper, all I had was Microsoft Paint, especially here at work where I have no access to my stylist pad. I touched up my avatars hair with Microsoft Paint at work last night. :D

Edited by Dizzy Leeane Rage
  • Brohoof 1

A redeeming quality of the creator is the ability to pick colours nicely. You can get outline colours and inner colours that are very similar to how the show does it. And you could use those colours as a reference to draw your own images.

Sadly I'm one of those that pretty much has to use the Pony Creator to make a character. It's not really that I can't draw ponies, but mine don't look as good as the pony creator's.

I admit I can see why ponies think it's the cheap way out, but hey it's still giving you a visual of their character. What's the beef?

Honestly I kind of like hubworld's own pony creator more. :lol:

• 3 months later...

post-493-0-43679500-1329339446_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-21414200-1329292795_thumb.jpg

Uh.... no?

Sarcasm aside, yes I've used it plenty of times. For non artists, this is a somewhat good way to develop your OC, and for people like me its a good way to lay out a character you want to use before making vectors/drawings - like a reference image.

There is also the official Pony maker on Facebook. I've used it, but I don't know if it's exactly better than the more popular one. I've also used said Pony maker.

I used it to create my own OC and concept art of a pony tulpa I'm planning on creating. Pretty useful considering I can't draw for shit.

• Brohoof 1

Nope. Never used it for actual drawings, though I'm using it as a template to make some armor sets on right now. But for actual art? I had never touched the thing once.

I prefer to sketch my own art then vector it. It looks better when you can create unique drawings like that.

For instance I drew Ezio from Assassins Creed riding on top of Rainbow Dash as they fly away from a militant force attacking them. No pony creator is gonna get me those type of results!

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure everyone has used the pony maker.

Sarcasm aside, I find it is very useful for people who lack the artistic skills to draw/vector an OC. It is also good for templating OC's for artists.

Even though I think the creator is useful, I do think it is quite limited, and you can often find OC's that look very similar, if not exactly the same as each other.