Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Butterflies and hurricanes?

TePineer

If you saw the season 4 finale, you would know that Discord´s cutie mark was a Hurricane/tornado. His best friend is Fluttershy. Her cutie mark is Three butterflies.

Butterflies and hurricanes. Did the writers reference the butterfly effect with this?

• Brohoof 2

Chaos theory isn't about natural disasters. It's about how little differences create major changes, and in a way that's counterintuitive and difficult to predict. It's the physics of turbulence, fractals, complex systems, and life. The implications are empowering to the individual because your farts have a huge impact on global weather systems. :P

But I didn't remember seeing discord get a cutie mark in the S4 finale. How did that happen? He isn't even a pony.

• Brohoof 2

So what you're sayin' is...

Fluttershy and Discord are responsible for that deer that ran in front of my car and caused me to swerve into a pyramid of paraplegic cheerleaders that were sponsored by Coca Cola to promote Coke Zero?

They owe me a new front axel and bumper.

• Brohoof 2

They're responsible for the moth in Las Pegasus that farted in surprise which caused a thunderstorm in Trottingham that caused a little lap dog to shake in fear which caused a tornado in Kansas that caused the deer to jump out in front of your car. But technically so is everyone else. In chaos theory, everyone matters.

• Brohoof 1

Chaos theory isn't about natural disasters. It's about how little differences create major changes, and in a way that's counterintuitive and difficult to predict. It's the physics of turbulence, fractals, complex systems, and life. The implications are empowering to the individual because your farts have a huge impact on global weather systems. :P

But I didn't remember seeing discord get a cutie mark in the S4 finale. How did that happen? He isn't even a pony.

Discord transformed into a pony when he first met Tirek.

• Brohoof 1

If you saw the season 4 finale, you would know that Discord´s cutie mark was a Hurricane/tornado. His best friend is Fluttershy. Her cutie mark is Three butterflies.

Butterflies and hurricanes. Did the writers reference the butterfly effect with this?

I doubt it. I mean that would be a great connection, but the show doesn't really tend to do subtle little gestures like that. That being said, I would love it if they made Fluttershy an airbender!

I doubt it. I mean that would be a great connection, but the show doesn't really tend to do subtle little gestures like that. That being said, I would love it if they made Fluttershy an airbender!

I don't think they made that reference, it seems a bit far-fetched and complicated. It's likely a coincidence.

Yeah, I don´t think so either, but it´s still fun to think about, right? :squee:

We're still waiting on a proper treatment of chaos theory at the movies. Maybe the new MLP movie will go there...

Also don't forget that butterflies look a lot like certain strange attractors in chaotic systems. Maybe the Fluttershy-Discord connection is deeper than anypony dreamed.

• Brohoof 1