Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

I speak English primarily and know a couple of phrases in Spanish. I'd love to learn Japanese and Spanish.. Of course, the former would just about never help me, but it's still a beautiful language.

I'm in the beginning stages of learning Russian. I'm American, born and raised. Currently all I speak is English and perhaps a few words in Spanish. Since I was young, I've always had a strong fascination and love for the Slavic countries, for a variety of reasons that are too long to list here. For what it's worth, if life in the United States continues to go downhill, as I predict, I may very well immigrate to Russia at some point in the future. My loyalty to America is strong but definitely not absolute. It depends on what America becomes.

I found one of Pimsleur's Russian lessons on Youtube and I greatly enjoyed it. I'm eager to do the next lessons but the CDs the lessons are on are so bloody expensive. I know it's 15 hours of lessons but it's still overpriced (well over $100 for a single CD and there are 3 total I think...) Does anyone wanna split the cost with me? Or point me to the cheapest prices?  I know I could probably torrent them somewhere but I have an urge to actually buy this product legitimately. It's the honorable thing to do, if that makes sense.

Finally, if anyone here reading this is from Russia or Ukraine: Dobriy den, kak dela? smile.png

I know quite a lot of French. Not that much, but I'd like to learn more. The only problem I have is the grammar and feminine/masculine. I've been told I have great pronunciation :P

Edited by Lunatia

French is my native language, and I obviously know english. I absolutely love languages and would love to study linguistics and learn as many as I can. I just have to get off my lazy ass and do something with my life...

I speak Spanish, but not well. Took six years of it in high school. My boyfriend is Puerto Rican, so I can understand most of what he and his family say to each other...I just sure as heck won't participate! Too much of an embarrassment, me coming in with my very American/Minnesotan spanish :'D

I really want to learn Japanese, though. not because of Anime, but because I was born in Japan, and am half Japanese. It hurts to think that most anime fans know more Japanese than I do. I kinda struggle with my racial identity, and it's upsetting to me, how much I've lost through being Americanized. By blood I'm just as Japanese as I am American...:(

• Brohoof 1

Well, I do want to learn French soon. So far, I know English and I'm still trying to speak Spanish fluently since I'm in Spanish II in high school. But, when I learn French I will be as happy as a clam.

I'm currently learning Latin and German, and I may also look in to learning a bit of Japanese, although Kanji is a major turn-off for me.

I speak Japanese as a second language. I'm decent at it, I suppose, but I definitely have a ways to go.

In the past, I've also studied German, Chinese and Arabic, all of which I'd like to continue to study. I'd like to master Japanese first, though. I really don't know enough. I'd most want to continue Chinese, though, so I can get Chinese hax for speaking Japanese :3

Additionally, I'd like to learn Korean. I've taught myself to read hangul, but I can't speak it at all. I'd like to learn for a more concrete understanding of Asian languages. Living in Japan, it'd also be really easy (and cheap) for me to go to Korea, so I'd like to learn some if I were to go. I've always wanted to learn Italian, but never really had much use for it. I've also recently taken a little interest in learning Polish, but I dunno if I actually wanna learn it or if it's just a phase.

• 4 months later...

Japanese and English, cause my dear mother is Japanese and my father is American. It's been kind of weird actually, cause my culture is also this weird mix and there are a lot of Japanese words I don't know in English and a lot of English words I don't know in Japanese... Lolz...

• Brohoof 7

I'm especially fluent in the English language, but that's pretty much a given, so I won't use that. I did take French classes back in high school and was somewhat fluent in that language for a little while. Unfortunately, I forgot most of what I learned there. Another language I was fluent in was...well, this is going to sound super nerdy. Dragon language. I studied that when I played Skyrim. Yeah, pretty loserific, I know.

• Brohoof 2

Just English, American English. I took a couple years worth of French but I can't hold even a basic conversation in the language. I dabble in Japanese, but I mostly do translations so I can't really speak that either. I should probably work on that; I'm a little jealous of people that can speak more than one language fluently. 

• Brohoof 1

I was born in germany but Moved to the UK when I was little, but I'm only fluent in English and Brony Wait? Theres a character Minimum? 

Oh yeah, I can also speak a little swedish and russian, but I am pretty bad at languages

You know what would be cool? learning Ye olde English! well theres my task for the near ending Summer!

Edited by Nye1254
  • Brohoof 1

American English for me only. I attempted to take French but I gave up as soon as the class started. I wouldn't mind taking Japanese and everything, but I don't plan on taking Japanese or French till I'm older.

• Brohoof 1

I know three different languages, but I'm really only fluent in 1. English is my native language, and I try to speak it as best as I can. I'm about to start my second year of la clase de Español. I think I'm somewhat fluent in it. I'm definitely not fluent in this, but I'm slowly learning Japanese.

I'm thinking about taking French next year.

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 2

It would be two, but I can only read a little Spanish ( like one word lol) and speak a little. Well for the lather its kinda easy to see what it is. 

Being a son of two parents that only speak Spanish it sometimes get very annoying when we don't fully under what the other is saying. 

• Brohoof 1

Sadly only British English.. Which is a shame, because I think it would be awesome to be multilingual.

I did study German for 4 years, however I was terrible at it and have pretty much forgotten almost all of it since I finished school.

I did pick up a few good words like 'Schadenfreude' and 'rausgeschmissenes geld'

But yeah.. I'd love to learn Welsh for ironic reasons, as the only country that speaks Welsh is Wales..
That and I'm half Welsh.

• Brohoof 1

英語と日本語!!As a west-coast American, English is obviously my native language. I'm a non-Japanese 外人 who has been studying since the age of 10. I have been to Japan once during my life. I'm not quite fluent yet, though. :x

Edited by Dismajo
  • Brohoof 2

I speak English and I'm doing a GCSE in French and I'm doing well but I'm at a learning curve. I'll try and end in French mais normallement Je ne réusse pas sans un livre ou "Google Translate."

• Brohoof 2

I'm not really fluent in any other languages, but I speak three others besides English. I speak Spanish pretty well, I can hold a conversation over pretty much any everyday topic.

I'm also conversational in Japanese, as long as they don't talk really fast (which Japanese people tend to do). Writing is another story. I can read okay, but I can't recall very many kanji off the top of my head.

I can read and write Classical Latin, which I think is a very beautiful language. Unfortunately, I only know one other person who can read Latin as well.

Next semester in college I'm taking a class in German, but I don't know how well that will balance in my schedule so I might end up dropping it.

If I had a dictionary handy I might be able to hold a conversation in Esperanto.

Edited by Foreigner and Lover
  • Brohoof 1

I speak italian that is my native language and english,both american and british. (aren't they the same? I know both because at school they teach british english,but here on the internet the american one is the most used,so i know them both,at least i think i do,aren't the only differences a few words ?) Well,actually i don't think that my english is that good,from time to time i don't remember how to translate some words to italian..well,it happens even viceversa,and it's frustrating when you are talking to someone and that word doesn't want to come out in italian but it does it in english,and you are like "and now?! How do i say that?!?"                                                                  Another language that i would like to study it's japanese,i love the culture of that land,and yes,it's also because of anime and manga that i would like to study it  :P

• Brohoof 1