Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Movie Theory - Possible Change in Main Show?

AuroraMLP

Now, with this recent season, I have a fairly reasonable, yet outlandish theory.

With recent episodes, they have been slowly setting Starlight up as Twilight's student of friendship, and even her leadership role in To Where and Back Again. Now, it might be just me, but it seems like they are setting her up to take Twilight's place.

Really, this is not unprecedented. Lauren Faust's original plan was to have Twilight eventually take Celesita's place. Rarity already has a boutique in Canterlot. Rainbow Dash is a Wonderbolt. And Pinkie, Applejack, and Fluttershy are happy where they are. All their "destinies" have been completed, and now Twilight has a new student, the star of last season's finale.

My theory is that the 2017 MLP Movie is sort of a last hurrah, a sort of "series finale" for the Main 6 as we know them, still characters in the show, but the focus will be changed onto new characters.

Now, I have no idea how they would do this, but the thought had been percolating in my mind even before I remembered that there was a movie coming up that was A.) planned for a long time, and B.) was kept very secret. I mean, usually there are some sort of leaks or spoilers. And this has been in production for a while. So whatever it is, I think it is going to be big.

And I am just fine either way, whether I am wrong or right.

As much as I love our Mane 6, I think a new cast of characters is a welcome change. The 6 stay in the show, but I really like a variety is nice, and... to be honest, they are far too... competent right now. Most of the flaws in episodes come from bad writing, and the natural flaws they had before are still present, but as personality traits instead of crippling problems. A set of new, flawed characters is perfect. And I have a feeling Trixie, and maybe even Discord, may be some of those characters. Trixie is now nice, but has plenty of problems, and they have even had a couple episodes where Discord learned specific friendship lessons. All of them are new to the concept of friendship, just like Twilight at the beginning of the show.

Anyway, that's just a theory. Maybe that will just be in the season. Or maybe I'm just completely wrong, and Starlight will go the route of Sunset Shimmer, never completely utilized to her potential.

What do you think? Is this a possibility? Do you think this concept will appear in the movie? The show? Not at all? And if you think it does make sense, what position do you have on this possible change?

• Brohoof 3

Now, with this recent season, I have a fairly reasonable, yet outlandish theory.

With recent episodes, they have been slowly setting Starlight up as Twilight's student of friendship, and even her leadership role in To Where and Back Again. Now, it might be just me, but it seems like they are setting her up to take Twilight's place.

Really, this is not unprecedented. Lauren Faust's original plan was to have Twilight eventually take Celesita's place. Rarity already has a boutique in Canterlot. Rainbow Dash is a Wonderbolt. And Pinkie, Applejack, and Fluttershy are happy where they are. All their "destinies" have been completed, and now Twilight has a new student, the star of last season's finale.

My theory is that the 2017 MLP Movie is sort of a last hurrah, a sort of "series finale" for the Main 6 as we know them, still characters in the show, but the focus will be changed onto new characters.

Now, I have no idea how they would do this, but the thought had been percolating in my mind even before I remembered that there was a movie coming up that was A.) planned for a long time, and B.) was kept very secret. I mean, usually there are some sort of leaks or spoilers. And this has been in production for a while. So whatever it is, I think it is going to be big.

As much as I love our Mane 6, I think a new cast of characters is a welcome change. The 6 stay in the show, but I really like a variety is nice, and... to be honest, they are far too... competent right now. Most of the flaws in episodes come from bad writing, and the natural flaws they had before are still present, but as personality traits instead of crippling problems. A set of new, flawed characters is perfect. And I have a feeling Trixie, and maybe even Discord, may be some of those characters. Trixie is now nice, but has plenty of problems, and they have even had a couple episodes where Discord learned specific friendship lessons. All of them are new to the concept of friendship, just like Twilight at the beginning of the show.

Anyway, that's just a theory. Maybe that will just be in the season. Or maybe I'm just completely wrong, and Starlight will go the route of Sunset Shimmer, never completely utilized to her potential.

What do you think? Is this a possibility? Do you think this concept will appear in the movie? The show? Not at all? And if you think it does make sense, what position do you have on this possible change?

I do think that would be an interesting change. But I doubt it will happen. Unless they do it as the series finale. Sorry but I don't really have much to say about your . It's interesting and I don't really having anything that can refute it. But I do think I can add something. And that is how I think the series finale will go. I don't know anything specific. But I feel like it will end with Twilight and some of the other characters moving away. Maybe Celestia needs Twilight to come to Canterlot. And maybe Spike will go help Ember. Then maybe Rarity will go and move to a bigger city. Rainbow Dash might go on tour with the Wonderbolts. Pinkie Pie might become like Cheese Sandwhich and travel all over Equstria. Applejack would probably stay in Ponyville and Fluttershy might go to help the breezies or some other animals. Then maybe Starlight would either go and travel with Trixie or she would stay at the castle and take care of it while Twilight is away. In the second case Trixie might come live with her. Either Starlight or Twilight would freak out about her friends moving away. They'd get worried that they'd never see each other again. But before hey can address these feelings a big disaster comes up. So they have to deal with it. And it will probably be a story that has a large ensemble cast. Discord, Trixe, Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Shining Armour, Flurry Heart, and a lot more also. While they go and try and fix or stop whatever went wrong Starlight/Twilight will bond with her friends. And after they resolve the disaster they'll realize that even if their apart they'll always be friends. Then the rest will probably be like the season one finale. Where they'll just have a party and celebrate. I doubt mlp will have a dark series finale. Also I don't know why but I can't ink of the example I was basing this on. I know I've seen a similar story in a tv show before. But I can't think of its name.
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think so. The plot of the movie doesn't seem to bring big changed to Equestria, but rather a foreign sea kingdom. Still, I also think the Mane6 should be pushed to the sidelines and focus the spotlight to new protagonists, as the Mane6 have been so developed, that it's practically impossible to give them flaws without being forced :huh:. Who knows, maybe this first time seen secondary characters saving the day in last season finale is the beginning 

I don't think so. The plot of the movie doesn't seem to bring big changed to Equestria, but rather a foreign sea kingdom. Still, I also think the Mane6 should be pushed to the sidelines and focus the spotlight to new protagonists, as the Mane6 have been so developed, that it's practically impossible to give them flaws without being forced :huh:. Who knows, maybe this first time seen secondary characters saving the day in last season finale is the beginning 

Yeah, I heard from another source that the movie won't be canon to the show, just like EQG, so I'm probably not right.

(And I don't have any spoilers for the movie yet, so if you know anything, please don't tell me. Although the sea kingdom might be interesting if they bring back sea ponies...)

Yeah, I heard from another source that the movie won't be canon to the show, just like EQG, so I'm probably not right.

(And I don't have any spoilers for the movie yet, so if you know anything, please don't tell me. Although the sea kingdom might be interesting if they bring back sea ponies...)

Technically, it'll be canon, so are the EGs. Just that something wont be acknowledged in the main source for the sake of not make the main audience feel like they've missed something is not the same as being NOT canon. 

Don't worry about the spoilers though, nothing official is known to the public as of yet. We only assume the sea ponies because of a poster published at a russian convention. The most of that is known is that several big time celebrities are casted in the movie, like Michael Pena and Zoe Saldana, but not even the name of their characters is known 

Technically, it'll be canon, so are the EGs. Just that something wont be acknowledged in the main source for the sake of not make the main audience feel like they've missed something is not the same as being NOT canon. 

Don't worry about the spoilers though, nothing official is known to the public as of yet. We only assume the sea ponies because of a poster published at a russian convention. The most of that is known is that several big time celebrities are casted in the movie, like Michael Pena and Zoe Saldana, but not even the name of their characters is known 

Ahhh... okay.

And I didn't really mean "not canon" in that sense. But not being acknowledged in the main series means that nothing earth-shattering (or Eqqus-shattering...) can really happen to affect the main series like my theory suggested.

It's nice to see some big people are involved with it. And as much as I don't like spoilers, I kind of hope that they would include something like sea ponies, but I'm not sure I would want it if they never introduce them in the main show.

That is, if their designs look good enough. I don't really like the "seahorse" kind of design like the G1 seaponies. I like some of the fan designs a lot better.

As long as they don't go the route of the Breezies, I would be fine.

That is, if they have anything to do with the movie. That could even be a season opener spoiler instead.

Cough Cough why haven't you responded to my reply senpai? I was the first one here.

Ahhh... okay.

And I didn't really mean "not canon" in that sense. But not being acknowledged in the main series means that nothing earth-shattering (or Eqqus-shattering...) can really happen to affect the main series like my theory suggested.

It's nice to see some big people are involved with it. And as much as I don't like spoilers, I kind of hope that they would include something like sea ponies, but I'm not sure I would want it if they never introduce them in the main show.

That is, if their designs look good enough. I don't really like the "seahorse" kind of design like the G1 seaponies. I like some of the fan designs a lot better.

As long as they don't go the route of the Breezies, I would be fine.

That is, if they have anything to do with the movie. That could even be a season opener spoiler instead.

Sorry for the bad quality pic, but this was directly taken from a russian convention if I remember well

1462108588521.jpg

Cough Cough why haven't you responded to my reply senpai? I was the first one here.

:-P

Sorry! I think your idea is a very interesting one, and would be an interesting, reasonable development, although, of course, I doubt they will follow that particular story to the letter.

It would be an interesting fanfiction to write.

(Most of the reason why I didn't reply was because I just sort of agreed with you, and I couldn't really formulate a coherent reply. I should have just used the brohoof button - at least then you would have known that I saw and agreed with it.)

Sorry for the bad quality pic, but this was directly taken from a russian convention if I remember well

sig-4795668.1462108588521.jpg

Nice!

That actually fits what I hoped seaponies would be like.

• Brohoof 1

Starlight is definitely being set up for something, and if that something is being part of a new cast, that's fine.  I just hope that the writers don't fall into the all-too-easy trap of re-hashing past stories.  I've seen this happen in other shows and it never turns out well.  People, even kids, notice these things.

As for what this new/updated/revamped/rebooted version of MLP might be like is, again, something that other shows do to try and freshen things up.  Change location.  Perhaps someplace we've never seen, or perhaps they travel accross Equestria on a mission/quest.  Or how 'bout beyond Equestria?  We've seen their planet from space so we know there are other continents.  What are they?  Who lives there.  This is something I'd like to see.

Edited by Mortar

:-P

Sorry! I think your idea is a very interesting one, and would be an interesting, reasonable development, although, of course, I doubt they will follow that particular story to the letter.

It would be an interesting fanfiction to write.

(Most of the reason why I didn't reply was because I just sort of agreed with you, and I couldn't really formulate a coherent reply. I should have just used the brohoof button - at least then you would have known that I saw and agreed with it.)

Nice!

That actually fits what I hoped seaponies would be like.

Oh sorry. I just thought you ignored it or didn't see it. :P But I swear I've seen this storyline before. And it would fit so well for mlp. I just can't think of the tv show or movie I've seen it in. Maybe I'll look through some cartoons that came around when I was a kid. And Defintley cartoons that got released since 2010. That should be a good time frame to figure out which show I'm thinking of. Then again it could have also been live action. But if anyone knows a show that had a similar series finale please tell me about it.
  • Brohoof 1

Well, it'd be nice if the movie paved the way for some sort of spinoff having Starlight, Trixie, Thorax, Discord and Sunburst (and whatever new buddies they meet) as the main protagonists while the Mane Six act all as mentor figures for them. Either that, or maybe Luna and Celly ascend to a higher plane of existence, leaving Twi in Celly and Luna's place or whatever happens.

Personally I look forward to a completely new cast and losing all the characters we know and love for 6 +years

Start looking forward for the future of the show with Starlight Glimmer and new friends Penny Pear, Spectrum Rush, Purple Party, Antique, and Bashful Hover, Prince Apollo and Prince Artemis, and their non-pony friend Rodimus Prime

I really don't want them to replace the mane cast, nor do I want to see them sidelined for new characters in the movie, both would be terrible ideas. I(and a lot of other people) want to watch the movie to see the mane 6 on the big screen, sidelining them for a new character will just get people to hate that new character more instead(just look what happened to Starlight)

I want to see big changes to the status quo, but nothing that involves fucking over the main characters

And yes I did struggle to find good synonym names for Rarity and Fluttershy

Edited by Travis Touchdown
  • Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

MAY INCLUDE SPOILER TO THE MOVIE!!

After I just saw the movie, I can say that it was no “last hurrah” to the mane 6. It never even really included discord, starlight, flurry heart or any of the new characters. I did however spot discord as well as starlight in the end credits. This movie was a wonderful experience and I highly recommend watching it. It does expand the universe of the show by exploring places such as where the “hypogriffs” (water ponies) live, a place called “the badlands” and much more. I do believe that in the next season they with wrap up the series with the mane 6 allowing starlight and the other “in training” characters to step in and take their place. I don’t think that the mane 6 will leave the show but be more of secondary characters from that point on like celestia and Luna are right now. I hope for a lot from this show in terms of continuing other characters’ development such as the cutiemark crusaders because I think the mane 6 are very well developed at this point and will start to be overused if they have anymore time in the spotlight. I hope for a lot more and have big expectations for this series to continue on strong, implementing the new events that occurred in the movie.

• Brohoof 1