Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Chrysalis' plan makes no sense.

Vega

Apologies if this has been mentioned before or if I simply missed something in the finale. Anyway, from how I understand the way the Changelings work, they feed off of the love of others. Okay, so why do they outright seige Canterlot? That makes absolutely no sense. They're shapshifters. It is far more logical for them to simply disguise themselves and blend in to normal society, feeding off the love that occurs naturally in normal, everyday life. Invading and causing a warzone certainly doesn't make for a good environment for creating love. Another thing; what were they doing when they were chasing all of the ponies in Canterlot anyway? Was it simply a normal attempt at conquest? Once again, makes no sense. Conquering and subjugating a civilization won't make that civilization love you; actually, doing so would utterly wreck the atmosphere of love that Chrysalis mentioned that Equestria has. It is entirely possible that I missed something in the finale, but from what I can understand, it seems to me that Chrysalis is an utter moron who doesn't understand the best way for her own species to live.

• Brohoof 3

Huh, I do find this kinda odd. Well then again, since Chrysalis IS a queen this may be some sort of advantage over the others. Maybe better at going undetected. Countering myself going on the train seemed really logical if they were planning an attack.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's not entirely clear how the feeding process works, but Chrysalis's orders to the Changelings imply that they can drain the "love energy" from ponies regardless of their state, i.e., it doesn't matter whether they're scared, happy, angry, etc. More potent energy is drawn from the strength and intensity of the relationship. There is also accounting for Chrysalis's mind control and influence powers which she may have used on the pony population to subjugate them. With her magic having become so potent, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Chrysalis could have taken direct control of a substantial portion of the population. Another perspective is that once Celestia (and, presumably, Luna) was defeated, Chrysalis would effectively become the only monarch in Equestria and the strongest being overall. Ponies would have little choice but to submit to her rule.

Chrysalis probably could not have her Changelings infiltrate Canterlot or, rather, assessed they wouldn't be of much use. The Changelings were apparently capable of only carrying out very basic orders; having all of them enter Canterlot, even in disguise, would increase the risk of detection. Once Chrysalis replaced Cadance and compromised the security of the capital, the plan was for a cakewalk. At least, that might have been what she was thinking. Chrysalis could also be a victim of her own ego, desiring to visibly and forcibly conquer Equestria rather than gradually overwhelming its institutions.

It is unclear to me why Chrysalis made an overt threat toward Canterlot. Perhaps that was the event which led her to develop a plan to infiltrate Canterlot with a disguise rather than simply swarm the city. The Royal Guard, Shining Armor, Celestia, and Luna did not know the exact nature of the threat, though it was grave enough for them to increase security and erect a giant magical barrier. It is difficult to tell how Chrysalis came up with her plan and why the threat to Canterlot was so opaque yet apparent enough for the elevated secruity measures.

For the record, based on the evidence we do have, I thought Chrysalis's plan was rather clever. Without Twilight Sparkle and her heightened suspicions, Chrysalis might have succeeded.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 6

The reason is because the feeling of love was completely concentrated into one small section. Cadence is the Princess of Love, and her bond with Shining Armor is very strong. Chrysalis switched her place with Cadance and took advantage of Shining Armor's love for Cadance to become stronger. Moreover, the royal wedding takes place in one section of Canterlot, and there was a huge audience (all of whom admired the royal family) gathered to attend the ceremony. Everypony has to pass through strict security (SA's force field) to attend.

And Chryslais and her fellow "shapeshifters" are changelings. They need to feed off admiration, loyalty, and romantic love in order to become stronger. This is an ode to the changeling mythology, which fed off a mother's close bond with her child in order to become stronger and weaken the mom. Without the love between Shining Armor and Cadance, Chrysalis and the changelings CAN'T shape-shift. They need some resource in order to thrive, and royal wedding was their prime source of nearby energy.

Chrysalis had her personal ambitions as well. As far as I can see, she is the only intelligent changeling, that is capable of thought. Hence, she would probably see herself as ruling over a bunch of animals, and developed an inferiority complex. Hence, by defeating the much more prestigious Princess Celestia, and invading Canterlot, she is able to finally achieve something, rather than just mindlessly feeding.

(edited)

All your theories about Chrysalis's behavior are interesting and have their own merits, but I kinda like this explanation best B) :

Posted Image

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 3

All your theories about Chrysalis's behavior are interesting and have their own merits, but I kinda like this explanation best B) :

Posted Image

And otherwise couldn't do it in anymore of an effective way! -_-

I don't think that there is enough information regarding Chrysalis and the nature of how the changelings work to really form any solid thoughts on whether her plan was good or not. Another question though; has it been confirmed what an average changeling's intelligence is? Are they simply animals? I assumed that they were like Iron Will's goats; sentient, but unable to speak English. (I make that assumption because of the changeling who shapeshifts per Pinkie's request.) Either way prevents them from infiltrating society though. If they're animals, the problem is obvious, and if they can't speak English, their effectiveness would be severely limited.

My problem with Chrysalis is the way she utterly disregards her own power source in the final act. She says that love is power and she understands how powerful it can be after managing to beat Celestia, but when Cadance tells her that her love will strengthen Shining, Chrys blows her off. "What a naive thing to think, lol. Love = magic and all that." Boom she gets her flank handed to her on a steaming silver platter as though she had been missing that flank since before she could remember and only now can tearfully reunite with it.

That metaphor got away from me.

Anyways, I think that maybe she sees Love as a food source and doesn't realize how it can fuel magic, love being the basic element of friendship and every other positive relationship, and friendship being magic. So she thinks, "Shining isn't going to be able to absorb that love the way I can, so whatevs," and then Shining takes on the bonus power from Cadance's love and the rest is history.

Just let me point out.

This is a child show.

It would spark rather a lot of paranoia if they did what you said.

Also, it makes for more "Supernatural" or "Grimm" viewing. Just saying.

My problem with Chrysalis is the way she utterly disregards her own power source in the final act. She says that love is power and she understands how powerful it can be after managing to beat Celestia, but when Cadance tells her that her love will strengthen Shining, Chrys blows her off. "What a naive thing to think, lol. Love = magic and all that." Boom she gets her flank handed to her on a steaming silver platter as though she had been missing that flank since before she could remember and only now can tearfully reunite with it.

That metaphor got away from me.

Anyways, I think that maybe she sees Love as a food source and doesn't realize how it can fuel magic, love being the basic element of friendship and every other positive relationship, and friendship being magic. So she thinks, "Shining isn't going to be able to absorb that love the way I can, so whatevs," and then Shining takes on the bonus power from Cadance's love and the rest is history.

Of course. They are more like devils than insects.

The entire sodding show makes no sense.

Relax and enjoy the ride, you conk.

Can't. I'm a geek. Over-analyzing stuff is what geeks do. B)
  • Brohoof 1

Can't. I'm a geek. Over-analyzing stuff is what geeks do. B)

Nope. I over-analyze things, like looking into the metalogical subtext of people's suppositions about television shows and derriving that they derive pleasure from being bothered, perked, attentive or annoyed by the details of the show that they use to apply different anological context therewith.

(edited)

Gais...these are "Turn-based" style villains...

The type of guys that just sit there and take it when you cast a spell on them...Look at Discord.

You are giving them way too much credit.

Compare these to "Growling Do-Nothings..." The type of villian that growls at you from close range for an indefinite necessary period of time but never actually makes a move until it's too late.

Edited by glitterlicious

Gais...these are "Turn-based" style villains...

The type of guys that just sit there and take it when you cast a spell on them...Look at Discord.

So fighting in Equestria works like an RPG! Mind = Blown.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I thought the main goal of her plan was to take over Equestria, which makes sense.

At first I agreed with all the points you brought up, OP, but then I remembered that she had the ability to control other's minds:

Posted Image

Edited by Prince Dusk

I assumed that the whole feeding off love thing isn't what sustains them, it just makes them more powerful. She disguised herself and fed off Shining Armour's love until she was (or at least thought she was) powerful enough to accomplish priority number 1: World domination.