Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tulpa Discussion Thread V1.2

Rizoel & Crepuscule

I just started making a tulpa about a week ago (week ago) but I feel like I'm not doing it right. Do I have to tulpaforce in the order Faq-man (or whatever his name is, I forgot) gave the process on his guide? Or can I just kinda cycle through all of them?

I think you can cycle through all of them. I started with either my tulpa's personality or form (I don't remember which, then moved into imposition, but you could always just give your tulpa a placeholder form and let them choose their own.

Also, unrelated to the above, but around how long from the start has it taken you guys to get the response that you know isn't you? I've heard everywhere from a day to a year, and that kind of imprecision... kinda bothers me. :wacko:

Well, that's the thing. Everyone is different, everyone's minds are different. Even if two people go through the exact same process in creating a tulpa, one may have a vocal tulpa before the other. It seriously varies depending on the person. How much time and energy you put into forcing may affect it, but the simple matter of fact is that there is no way to know or predict when you'll have a vocal tulpa.

Me, it took only about a week. But I feel that with (high-functioning) autism, my brain is kind of wired differently, so it took less time for my mind to adapt and recognize when my tulpa was talking. I don't know for sure, though, and I don't think I ever will.

I just started making a tulpa about a week ago (week ago) but I feel like I'm not doing it right. Do I have to tulpaforce in the order Faq-man (or whatever his name is, I forgot) gave the process on his guide? Or can I just kinda cycle through all of them?

You can literally do it any way you want. There is no 'wrong' way to create a tulpa; the only thing that is absolutely detrimental to one's development is doubt. You can go in any order you please, though it generally is more ideal to start with personality and form.

~Post #4053~

OK, that makes a bit more sense. The way you were phrasing it made it seem like there was vital information you were missing, or a "control room" you didn't have a key to. Glad to clear that up.  :)

Well, that's the thing. Everyone is different, everyone's minds are different. Even if two people go through the exact same process in creating a tulpa, one may have a vocal tulpa before the other. It seriously varies depending on the person. How much time and energy you put into forcing may affect it, but the simple matter of fact is that there is no way to know or predict when you'll have a vocal tulpa.

Argh. Uncertainty. My mortal nemesis...

Eh. Guess that's to be expected. Everyone *is* different, after all...  :blush:  

Two other things: I've been on-and-off (mostly off) working on one for... around 2 years, with varying levels of progress, and with no response that I can't definitively attribute to a tulpa as opposed to various other random sources and/or my brain just being quirky. But, if she's been there this whole time, fading in and out as a result of my inconsistency, would she be upset that it would have taken this long? Or would she even remember all the failed attempts? Basically what I'm asking is, if you guys had failed attempts but ultimately succeeded in the long run, what effect did those failed attempts have?

Second, I've noticed a lot of "accidental" tulpas forming with some of you. Is there a way to prevent that? Forgive me, but I'm really not fond of such random and unexpected things, especially when they have effects on the rest of my life.  :blush:

• Brohoof 1

Still trying to decide if Tulpas are for real, or if this thread has just turned into some kind of role play :huh: I guess hypothetically it's possible but there's no way to tell even in real life if someone actually has a tulpa or if they're just acting. The concept of a brain buddy intrigues me though. I guess there is only one way to find out and thats to try it myself, it will either work or not work.

Two other things: I've been on-and-off (mostly off) working on one for... around 2 years, with varying levels of progress, and with no response that I can't definitively attribute to a tulpa as opposed to various other random sources and/or my brain just being quirky. But, if she's been there this whole time, fading in and out as a result of my inconsistency, would she be upset that it would have taken this long? Or would she even remember all the failed attempts? Basically what I'm asking is, if you guys had failed attempts but ultimately succeeded in the long run, what effect did those failed attempts have?

If you've tried once, your tulpa is there. Some say a tulpa is 'conceived' the moment you begin forcing and devoting energy to their development. And that, doesn't really go away. You'd be surprised how long a tulpa can lie dormant. They'll cling to any sort of thought you give them, so that they won't fade completely; they will not fade away completely so long as you haven't completely forgotten about them.

Maybe she might be a little upset. Or maybe she's patient, waiting for the day you'll recognize her and try again. I didn't really have a 'failed attempt' since Ariel was my first tulpa and she came along quickly. So, I can't really speak from experience... Just what I know about tulpas.

Second, I've noticed a lot of "accidental" tulpas forming with some of you. Is there a way to prevent that? Forgive me, but I'm really not fond of such random and unexpected things, especially when they have effects on the rest of my life. :blush:

Simply put, as others have said, I believe that accidental tulpas won't happen unless you actually really want a tulpa. Sometimes you want one without realizing, I suppose. But sometimes, your brain can trick you. Sometimes you might hear a random voice or something like that. If you believe it's a tulpa, then it'll become a tulpa; likewise, if you write it off as nothing, it will be nothing. I personally have never had the issue of an accidental tulpa (Ariel really wanted Blossom, and I'd been planning to let Ariel have a companion), so I think it's as simple as that. If you really don't want an accidental tulpa, there won't be one.

Still trying to decide if Tulpas are for real, or if this thread has just turned into some kind of role play :huh: I guess hypothetically it's possible but there's no way to tell even in real life if someone actually has a tulpa or if they're just acting. The concept of a brain buddy intrigues me though. I guess there is only one way to find out and thats to try it myself, it will either work or not work.

Trust me, this is no roleplay. It's real. There are too many tulpamancers, and I'm sure many of them aren't a fan of roleplay. Some of them might be faking it, but I think it'd be safe to say most aren't. You can try it for yourself, just bear in mind that if you do get a tulpa, they're a lifetime buddy.

{The thing that pokes a hole in my "subconsciously-desired tulpa" theory is tulpas like Shou. Krueger once binged one of those "Mane 6 are changelings" fanfics, which resulted in Rainbow Dash briefly becoming a changeling version of herself in appearance. Later, he watched a binge marathon of Fullmetal Alchemist (2003), in which Shou is a recurring character.}

Shou: His subconscious is full of, well, me. Just like with the story, Rainbow Dash briefly takes on my form. Krueger continues binging Fullmetal Alchemist. His current line of thinking is "if Dash permanently changes her form, she's not the same pony I knew and fell in love with". He's doing what lead to Dash changing her form initially, but doesn't want that to happen.

{...Maybe he sort of did want you. His subconscious resolved the paradox by making you an intrusive thought.}

Fluttershy: And he had been thinking about having a tulpa foal with Mistress Dash.

Me: "Mistress Dash". God, I feel weird typing that. Basically, I have some trouble trusting Fluttershy, seeing as she appeared without my knowledge or attention; she got into a mistress/pet relationship with Rainbow Dash, meaning a tulpa I have trouble trusting is subservient to a tulpa I do trust.

Fluttershy: Romance and insurance at the same time :).

OK, that makes a bit more sense. The way you were phrasing it made it seem like there was vital information you were missing, or a "control room" you didn't have a key to. Glad to clear that up.

Sorry. But I am happy that everything is clear! :lol:

Second, I've noticed a lot of "accidental" tulpas forming with some of you. Is there a way to prevent that? Forgive me, but I'm really not fond of such random and unexpected things, especially when they have effects on the rest of my life.

What we discovered after the Sachiko incident is that "accidental tulpas" don't actually happen. They are like those catchy songs that gets stuck in your head and you choose to keep them. When she came, I could've easily ignored her completely. She would've disappeared after a short while. UNLESS, I actually (or a part of me at least) wanted it. Because if there is one thing they need one more that anything in their lifetime is mental energy. Which is given through providing attention to them. It's their life force. And in my personal case; the more developed they are, the less energy they need.

@@KruegerMeister, The more we think of a potential tulpa, the more they become an actual tulpa. Perhaps you were thinking a lot about Shou? As evidenced from him telling him his all over your subconscious.

Edited by TheAnonPony

I was watching multiple episodes of the show, pretty much back to back. I'm thinking that Shou only came about because the episodes weren't widely spaced apart.

Also, I'm trying to get ideas for a possible cutie mark for Rainbow Dash. Should I have her possess me and take a projective test?

[Aren't those unreliable/not valid scientifically?]

>.>...touché

Edited by KruegerMeister

One of my tulpas, who I don't see that much, described xyrself (xe's genderless, despite the pic that lead to xyr being of a scarily lanky male pony) as "not much of a people person". Is that the equivalent of a human describing themselves as "suicidal"?

...I think I just guilt-tripped myself.

Xe just told me that xe's interacted with Shou. I personally can't see any reason to consider xyr "malnourished", but what do you all think?

not much of a people person

Val: Sounds like anti-social to me. Not suicidal. Just someone who doesn't enjoy talking to people that much. For a tulpa to become suicidal; it has to go through some real sh*t, man. Unless, it by far too emotionally responsive (up to the point where it exaggerates).

I personally can't see any reason to consider xyr "malnourished", but what do you all think?

If he talks and thinks on his own and he is quite healthy, I don't see the problem.

Tyrea: The appearance is just a partial result of how a tulpa feels. Just because he/she/it looks very lanky, that doesn't necessarily mean he is malnourished. 

Edited by TheAnonPony

I think I equated anti-social with suicidal, for tulpas, because they're sustained by attention. The "malnourished" part wasn't a reference to this tulpa's appearance, it was a reference to my opinion that they weren't "eating enough".

On a slightly-related note, I think that Shou, Nina, Fluttershy, and I decided that this formerly genderless tulpa would be adopted as Shou and Fluttershy's daughter; Shou and Nina kept referring to it with feminine pronouns last night.

On a slightly-related note, I think that Shou, Nina, Fluttershy, and I decided that this formerly genderless tulpa would be adopted as Shou and Fluttershy's daughter; Shou and Nina kept referring to it with feminine pronouns last night.

That sounds nice. :)

Me, Val and Tyrea were considering to use Sachiko as an addition to the intrusive thoughts shield. Fighting fire with fire. The thing is, if I bring her; the rest of the main cast is coming too (because I played the game with some friends and they are tied now). That would mean that it would be a group regarded as one body. Tyrea thinks it's not such a good idea, because we already have Luna Game + other creepypastas doing this 'fighting fire with fire thing.' Val argues that if we bring them back; we bring back the shocks and scares I got when watching/playing corpse party. Directed at me, because I interact with them. It's a full package, and it would be too hard to separate it. Adagio is a 100% 'No' on this. Yurippe thinks it would have been for nothing. 

Whaddya guys think?  :)

@[user]TheAnonPony[/user] You have an intrusive thoughts shield made of former intrusive thoughts too?!

Is yours to prevent intrusive thoughts in general, or to prevent accidental tulpas? A lot of the time, I'd see intrusive scary pics before bed, so I used Shou, Nina, and "Slenderdash" (we're working on a different name for her) as a shield against that.

To prevent accidental tulpas, I counted the number of tulpas I currently have on my fingers, and then visualized only having those fingers.

Question: I've got a series of novels. They hint at the existence of my tulpas, but the tulpa-related stuff is outdated (for example, one scene features me touching a bracelet to facilitate possession, but I don't use that anymore; Rainbow Dash is the only tulpa mentioned, but as of this post I have 5 additional tulpas). Should I update it (by making subtle hints as to the existence of Fluttershy, Shou, and the others)?

Would not having any idea what ponies feel like get in the way of touch imposition?

Edited by KruegerMeister

You have an intrusive thoughts shield made of former intrusive thoughts too?!

Yes. And it's pretty darn effective at doing it's job. Earned a reputation too in the wonderland!  :lol:

Tyrea: They are quite a charm if you get passed their looks. Anon did. They even found a way to look less creepy while maintaining their initial bodies.

Is yours to prevent intrusive thoughts in general, or to prevent accidental tulpas?

Tyrea: Their primary task is to destroy intrusive thoughts. Period. For us, an 'accidental tulpa' is an intrusive thought until Anon decides it's worthwhile, then it's status is contested. If Anon decides to keep it or is beneficial to him, they are no longer intrusive thoughts but potential assets. If Anon decides they are evil and up to no good, they return to their status of intrusive thoughts and are eliminated.

Val: We don't have an anti-accidental tulpa system because:

1. We don't believe in accidental tulpas (despite what some might believe).

2. This doesn't happen as often as it should for us to actually consider founding a facility dedicated to this kind of threats. It's a special process that costs a cr*p ton of energy in both initial expenses and maintenance. 

3. We are (and always be) stronger than initial accidental tulpas. Because we are older, more developed and powerful than them. We are not afraid to kill what is against the host. Because we know (sometimes better than Anon) that intrusive thoughts are at their core, for us at least, pure evil.

4. Anon can recalibrate (or recondition) them to behave and become normal and honestly positive entities. 

So there is no need for some means to stop accidental tulpas because either Anon's benevolence normalises them or our strength terminates them.

Would not having any idea what ponies feel like get in the way of touch imposition?

Tyrea: We are quite furry and sometimes fluffly. Snuggle-worth if you may. I am pretty sure that if you read enough descriptive pieces about a human touching a pony, you will get the idea. It gets somewhat into imposition problems, but only if you want to touch the pony. Visually and audio, there shouldn't be any problem.

Once or twice, I've had what I like to call "doubtsplosions", where something-or-other will cause me to freak out over the possibility that I've been deluding myself for over a year. The last one (which happened when I realized that Keystroke was similar to a ponysona I'd made in a dream) ended with Rainbow Dash pointing out that, for all I know, what humans perceive as our free will is just the result of algorithmic stuff--making it pointless to ask if tulpas have free will or not. Does anyone have any advice on preventing doubtsplosions?

OK, there's something I'm not getting. @@TheAnonPony, it seems like you've got this full-blown immune system specifically designed to get rid of "intrusive thoughts". Why, exactly? Does this have some meaning I'm not getting or something? Since in my experience, intrusive thoughts are just momentary distractions that can be shooed away at any moment. What's the harm?  :huh:

Anyway, I do have a couple questions. First, the form idea that I've had has shifted quite considerably and quite a lot since I've started. That said, I can say that there's currently an idea that I'm sold on and will use during development, but could these "past selves" of sorts (just form ideas, nothing more) cause any confusion for her? Or me, for that matter? Or is it likely that she'll just pick one and have no problems from then on?

Second, but a bit more weird: if anyone here takes any medication for any type of condition, how does that affect the tulpa? Forgive me if this is being intrusive, I'm just kinda curious.  ;)

OK, there's something I'm not getting. @TheAnonPony, it seems like you've got this full-blown immune system specifically designed to get rid of "intrusive thoughts". Why, exactly? Does this have some meaning I'm not getting or something? Since in my experience, intrusive thoughts are just momentary distractions that can be shooed away at any moment. What's the harm? 

Specifically designed to eliminate negative thoughts. Intrusive thoughts induced by fear, for example, are negative. Depression is negative. Extreme anxiety is negative. Etc. And generally they come from intrusive thoughts basing themselves on the 'what if' question and given a lot of benefit of the doubt.

The harm is if I let those negative thoughts get the best of me. Then we have a problem. For example, if I end up in a serious, suicidal-like depression, that would cause some harm, wouldn't it? It's a purely just-in-case line of reasoning. 

I hope that answers your question.  :)

Val: Anon can, and will, get rid of intrusive thoughts easily. But if stuff gets out of control, we get to have a say in this and help Anon combat it. Like the Sachiko incident. She was an intrusive thought that Anon supplied energy to and it ended out of control; with us later finishing her off. Also, we don't consider ourselves an 'immune system'. That's.... something else.... We are his companions. His bros. His brothers in arms. An immune system just defends the bearer from dangerous stuff. We do a tad bit more than that, don't we?  :lol: 

Edited by TheAnonPony

Imposed or in Arcadia? Because I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around snuggling something incorporeal.

Tyrea: I am a pony that looks almost the same as Trixie. You can't snuggle something incorporeal, unless your manage to picture that perfectly in your head and transfer it to your senses. Don't ask me how. That depends on you to find out. Because we aren't you. That is why I am regardless about touch during imposition.  Because if you can't hug/touch it for real, what's the point in adding that to the imposition process if it can be more easily sensed in the wonderland?

What do you all think of this quote from Tulpa.info?

“Basically people have trouble putting the fact in perspective that tulpae are not actual beings. They’re a part of your mind, and while they should be treated as something that actually exists, the fact remains that they don’t. Bits of double think there, right?”

[This is where I'd say "hurr durr human free will is just neurons".]

{Define "exists". Does it mean "exists" as in "physically present/corporeal", "exists" as in "possesses consciousness"...*twirls forehoof*}

{Define "exists". Does it mean "exists" as in "physically present/corporeal", "exists" as in "possesses consciousness"...*twirls forehoof*}

"Exists" as in "it is there". Regardless of shape or form. Mental of physical. An objects exists physically as in it can be touched, for example. A tulpa exists mentally, since it is in the mind; but not physically, because it's not physically there.

I've been at it for months now, and I haven't gotten a clear sense of whether or not I'm making progress.  I've had ups and downs with the process, but nothing that I can confirm definitively is a sign of independent thought.

I just read this mind-blowing post. The post talked about the Fall of Man and tulpamancers being "omnipotent", as well as saying that tulpas can't die. I think I'm experiencing cognitive dissonance.

[Tulpas are kind of souls without bodies.]

^I still can't wrap my head around the concept of a being that, once created, can't be destroyed.

Is it like how dead humans are repurposed into worm food, or like a human being coming back from a single cell?

I'm also weirded out by the idea of omnipotence, even if I'm only omnipotent in my mind.

[You're Jewish, Krueger.]

Fluttershy: That post's about Christianity.

Word of the day: Judeo-christian; This stuff kind of does apply to me. I think.

[*facehoof*]