Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Scootaloo's Family?

Lord Pretty Pie

(edited)

It's come to my attention, and I'm sure the attention of many others, that Scootaloo has no family... At all really. Not even once is a parent mentioned, and her attachment to Rainbow Dash suggests to me that she has no siblings either. I would like all of your thoughts on the matter.

Posted Image

In my opinion, I like the idea of her being homeless, story wise, but it doesn't seem to me like the type of thing they would cover in an actual episode. For this reason, I think that the show should specifically not cover the subject of her family. And they should expand upon the Scootaloo-Rainbow Dash 'sister' relationship.
What do you all think?

P.S. Just as a note, I did not create this comic, and I have no clue who did. I just saw it and it truly touched me, and seeing as it is related to the issue at hand, I decided to include it here.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 3

This show is too light and fluffy (fuwa fuwa time! K-ON reference) to have a subject as grave as homelessness affect such a young character. She probably has a normal home life with parents or in the very least guardians. We just haven't seen it yet.

• Brohoof 9

This show is too light and fluffy (fuwa fuwa time! K-ON reference) to have a subject as grave as homelessness affect such a young character. She probably has a normal home life with parents or in the very least guardians. We just haven't seen it yet.

That's exactly what I mean. As I said, this is not the type of thing the show would normally cover, and that's why I think they shouldn't cover it. I think they should continue not mentioning any family of hers, and just let us assume as I have.
  • Brohoof 3

That's exactly what I mean. As I said, this is not the type of thing the show would normally cover, and that's why I think they shouldn't cover it. I think they should continue not mentioning any family of hers, and just let us assume as I have.

Letting the viewers assume is fine because I'm pretty sure the target audience who watches, 6-9 year olds, will happily assume she has a home because kids won't think that way at that age. It's the older bronies with more developed thought processes and analysis who will be more inclined to think she's homeless lol.

• Brohoof 5

Letting the viewers assume is fine because I'm pretty sure the target audience who watches, 6-9 year olds, will happily assume she has a home because kids won't think that way at that age. It's the older bronies with more developed thought processes and analysis who will be more inclined to think she's homeless lol.

Exactly! I'm glad you understand. If this does happen, it's one more thing for us to use in the defense of the show and it's legitimacy as a cartoon for adults as well as children.

To me, where here parents are doesn't really matter. Nothing horribly awful, as the previous few posts have mentioned, the show would never go that far. In my opinion, I want her to develop a stronger sense of sisterhood with Rainbow Dash, as that surrogate relationship is a very unique one, and basically the only one that's continually been touched upon throughout the show, of which has also been mentioned from the official wiki, and from the creators themselves.

The essence of a home is where you are wanted and ultimately loved, not a specific location with specific people. To me, that ideal should show through with the advancement of the two pegasi's relationship.

• Brohoof 2

To me, where here parents are doesn't really matter. Nothing horribly awful, as the previous few posts have mentioned, the show would never go that far. In my opinion, I want her to develop a stronger sense of sisterhood with Rainbow Dash, as that surrogate relationship is a very unique one, and basically the only one that's continually been touched upon throughout the show, of which has also been mentioned from the official wiki, and from the creators themselves.

The essence of a home is where you are wanted and ultimately loved, not a specific location with specific people. To me, that ideal should show through with the advancement of the two pegasi's relationship.

That's deep man. Also, I very much agree.
  • Brohoof 1

As I have said, I want a Scootaloo-centric episode which shows her with perfectly functioning parents. In fact, it would be funny if they wondered why Scootaloo was never around the house; it is almost as if she were missing.

Save the Dark tags for fimfiction.net. I would be tremendously surprised if she were homeless and/or had no parents. In the vein of Chaotic Discord, I think they omit Scoot's parents so that they can more easily build a sister-like or student/mentor relationship between Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash.

• Brohoof 4

As I have said, I want a Scootaloo-centric episode which shows her with perfectly functioning parents. In fact, it would be funny if they wondered why Scootaloo was never around the house; it is almost as if she were missing.

Save the Dark tags for fimfiction.net. I would be tremendously surprised if she were homeless and/or had no parents. In the vein of Chaotic Discord, I think they omit Scoot's parents so that they can more easily build a sister-like or student/mentor relationship between Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash.

I could easily see the sister-like relationship working even if she did suddenly show to have parents, to make a point, though. There could even be an episode regarding the conflict of the parents not approving of Dash's often 'rowdy teenager' reminiscent attitude, but in the end, they're shown that Dash does care for their filly in her own way.

• Brohoof 2

just the fact that we have not seen her parents or home yet doesn't immediately mean she doesn't have any of the above. for instance: whe do not know where Pinkemina D. Pie lives and whe also don't know much about Rainbow Dash' parents either.

I would however love to see that the creators of the show also put these aspects of life in the show. because this is not exactly the common serie (and they already managed to put some other heavy topics into the show *that's what makes it a great show*).

• Brohoof 1

Well... I'm pretty sure this is not the case... Why would My Little Pony include such dark topics in the show?

because it is not the average childrens show, and stands closer to real life than any other (childrens) show so far

How about the possibility of an orphanage or foster care? That could be a point, or Scootaloo is secretly Rainbow Dash's long lost little sister.
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I go by the theory that Pegasus ponies have short life spans....

Considering that Flutters' Dashie's and Scoot's haven't been shown xD

(edited)

Yeah, I don't think she's homeless, she just needs her parents to show up like Fluttershy/Rainbow Dash/the Apples do. ;)

Apples? You mean like Apple Bloom, Applejack, and Big Mac? I had always assumed their parents were dead. Edited by Lord Pretty Pie

I always figured them not showing Scootaloo's parents was something as simple, like them not being acquainted with any of the mane six. I mean, hasn't she only appeared in one episode not centered around the Cutie Mark Crusaders (The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well)?

• Brohoof 1

I always figured them not showing Scootaloo's parents was something as simple, like them not being acquainted with any of the mane six. I mean, hasn't she only appeared in one episode not centered around the Cutie Mark Crusaders (The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well)?

Very true, and that's part of the question here. Both of the other's families have been shown, and while hers is not acquainted with the main six, I still find it odd that they are never mentioned. Like I said, It would be an interesting story element. I would like them to either incorporate it, or just never address the issue so I can go on imagining.
  • Brohoof 1

Well, the show will have to address it at some point. There are too many depressing homeless Scootaloo fanfics out there for them to not. My theory? Scootaloo has family living in Cloudsdale who doesn't want to see her until she learns to fly. They could do an episode on that where the moral is that you should be proud of your kin no matter what their flaws are.